b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Dec 27 - Brazilian cities hit by crack epidemic

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

join bx

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Dec 27 - Brazilian cities hit by crack epidemic
topic by Alerts - 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM

SAO PAULO, Brazil — Glassy-eyed, rail-thin and filthy, hundreds of addicts emerged from doorways and alleys as dusk came to the once-grand Luz district in the heart of this city.

After quick transactions with crack dealers, they scrambled for a little privacy to light up their pipes and inhale tiny, highly addictive rocks that go for about $5 each. The image was reminiscent of Washington or New York in the 1980s, when crack cocaine engulfed whole neighborhoods and sparked a dizzying cycle of violence.

But this time, the crack epidemic is happening in Brazil, alarming officials and tarnishing the country’s carefully cultivated image ahead of two major sporting events to be staged here: soccer’s 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics.

In cities all over Brazil — from this gritty metropolis to the crown jewel of Rio de Janeiro and smaller places in the middle of the Amazonian jungle — nightfall brings out swarms of desperate addicts looking for their next fix in districts known as “cracolandias,” or cracklands.

And like the crack wave that slammed the United States, the result here is the same — lives destroyed, families upended, neighborhoods made uninhabitable.

“Crack is an incurable illness,” said Paulino, 50, a wiry, fast-
talking addict who wouldn’t give his last name as he explained his daily appetite for the drug. “I need crack in my blood. My sickness is like a serpent. What’s the medicine for a serpent?”

With an estimated 1 million cocaine users, Brazil is being whipsawed by a problem that some leaders here once thought of as solely an American one. The trend carries worrisome ramifications for the country, whose population of 200 million includes a booming, new middle class, offering a promising market for traffickers, drug-control experts say.

Brazilian cities hit by crack epidemic - The Washington Post

52 comments for "Dec 27 - Brazilian cities hit by crack epidemic"

12-27-2012, 12:13 PMaway - #2
Spiffy 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$20,022 | POWERFUL
It's bloodshed, feel the cracks of my city streets
I'm from the crack of them city streets
Used to sell crack in them city streets
 12-27-2012, 04:49 PMaway - #3
nightmare 420 heat pts420

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Matt504
Black GENOCIDE.

it's sad that we watched it here in the 80s and now we're watching the same epidemic tear across another largely Black population.
 12-27-2012, 05:19 PMonline - #4
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL
Well we all seen this movie, hopefully the Brazilian government handles it better than the U.S; but its funny how some populations of people in almost all countries gets the short end of the stick when it comes to education and opportunities, this is not a coincidence seems like thats the way certain groups at the top want it.
 12-27-2012, 05:26 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Alerts
Well we all seen this movie, hopefully the Brazilian government handles it better than the U.S; but its funny how some populations of people in almost all countries gets the short end of the stick when it comes to education and opportunities, this is not a coincidence seems like thats the way certain groups at the top want it.
thats how humans are, its always been that way. haves and have-nots, this isnt new
 12-27-2012, 05:41 PMonline - #6
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by nightmare
thats how humans are, its always been that way. haves and have-nots, this isnt new
Come on! We know all know this, but look at the have-nots
 12-27-2012, 06:11 PMaway - #7

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
always the darker people with the most genetic potential.
only recently, we'll be back

they are already predicting that Africa finna blow up economically, within the next 40 years

if Whites could spend 1000 years, in filth, ignorance and disease war and then turn around and takeover the world in 300 years, the sky is the limit for anybody
 12-27-2012, 07:07 PMonline - #8
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL

they are already predicting that Africa finna blow up economically, within the next 40 years

if Whites could spend 1000 years, in filth, ignorance and disease war and then turn around and takeover the world in 300 years, the sky is the limit for anybody
Ok, if Africa does become a power, who controls that power? The Chinese government or Western corporations, with American influenced leaders.
 12-27-2012, 07:14 PMonline - #9
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL
Americas (North and South), Asia and we all know about Australia
 12-27-2012, 07:22 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
Ok, if Africa does become a power, who controls that power? The Chinese government or Western corporations, with American influenced leaders.
good question, however, if people support more dudes like this:

maybe they can control their own ####
 12-27-2012, 07:59 PMonline - #11
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL
good question, however, if people support more dudes like this:

maybe they can control their own ####
Yea once people realize that Africa is not a country
 12-27-2012, 08:13 PMaway - #12

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
 12-27-2012, 11:26 PMaway - #13
ghettofire 3 heat pts

d 
space
$25,248 | POWERFUL
looks like i'm hittin up the world cup
 12-28-2012, 12:11 AMonline - #14
Alerts 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$8,931 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bLoOdSpOrt84
??????

Have you forgotten history? Dont chu know all the Pharaos and Co. who were ruling 1000s of years ago were black? Did they need any type of a$sistance or influence when they were ruling? No, so stfu!
Read today's paper
 12-28-2012, 12:31 AMaway - #15
BadIntentionz 4 heat pts

d 
space
$2,550 | 10057791
Bahhhhhhhhhahahahahahaaaaaa
 12-28-2012, 01:06 AMaway - #16
ANALGANG 

d 
space
$119 | 587275
Crack is wack
 12-28-2012, 08:00 AMonline - #17
mastakillah21 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,640 | POWERFUL

Miss me with this Afrocentric bullshieet
 12-28-2012, 08:21 AMaway - #18

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mastakillah21
Miss me with this Afrocentric bullshieet
its not some super afrocentric hype line, its the truth, simplified but the truth nontheless

after the Roman Empire fell in 476, Europe went into a period of turmoil (the Dark Ages) and about a 1000 years later, after the plague, had the Renaissance and from there proceeded to conquer most of the world, is that not true?

Last edited by nightmare; 12-28-2012 at 08:23 AM..
 12-28-2012, 09:14 AMaway - #19
RNOTY 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$21,396 | POWERFUL
Glassy-eyed, rail-thin and filthy, hundreds of addicts emerged from doorways and alleys as dusk came to the once-grand Luz district in the heart of this city.
sorry, this isn't me being insensitive or hateful but that #### reads like the opening to a zombie flick. I got a mental flash of how hundreds of them would look peaking out the door ways as the sun hit's their favela.

====

on a more mature note, *cough* ..... #### is crazy.
 12-28-2012, 09:33 AMaway - #20
RNOTY 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$21,396 | POWERFUL

The Human Race as a whole has "genetic potential"

we need to quit with this reverse racist mentality. no 1 race is more special or god-favored than the next, I don't care where you read it at or from, or who tell's you it is. we are all 1 race of species, and to be honest the complexion of the skin probably (I say probably ONLY because I do not have the scientific backing to say it's fact) arose out of the climate and environmental factors at the time Homo Sapiens began to populate the earth and out number Homo Erectis(sp?)

What's Quentin Tarantino's best film in your opinion
67 comments
NBA Adrian Wojnarowski Kings and Nets discussing Deron Willi..
56 comments
NBA Lakers TV viewership down 28% this year
67 comments
  Bobby Shmurda Is Twitter's New Target
New reply 1 minute ago - 68 comments - by BasedCali
 Image(s) inside Get Ready Fellas! Our Prayers Being Answered? Nicki Mi...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 117 comments - by 187Proof
 Video inside Dec 20 - They Just Shot 2 Cops In Brooklyn By Topmkins
New reply 1 minute ago - 838 comments - by cheenz
 Image(s) inside "i Guess Ya'll Can't Breathe Either"-the Gam...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 215 comments - by Bkjj11
 Article inside Bobby Shmurda Facing A Total Of 71 Years In Prison
New reply 1 minute ago - 124 comments - by sdot216
 Image(s) inside Meek Mill On Bobby Shmurda Situation. (might Be Too Mu...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 58 comments - by FreeBigga
 Image(s) inside Godfather Fif Reacts To News Of 2 Police Officers Bein...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 117 comments - by Carlton Black
 Image(s) inside Q-tip Throwin Knowledge Darts At Iggy On Twitter
New reply 6 minutes ago - 136 comments - by ralph lauren

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,903 fans of BX | none new today 4,847 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.