This is BX @ Boxden.com

Dec 12 - Scientists plan to study whether we are, in fact, computer simulated

Dec 12 - Scientists plan to study whether we are, in fact, computer simulated
topic by 36 Nine - 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

US scientists are attempting to find out whether all of humanity is currently living a Matrix-style computer simulation being run on supercomputers of the future.
According to researchers at the University of Washington, there are tests that could be done to begin to work out whether we are in fact real, or merely a simulation created by a futuristic android on its lunch break.
Currently, computer simulations are decades away from creating even a primitive working model of the universe. In fact, scientists are able to accurately model only a 100 trillionth of a metre, with work to create a model of a full human being still out of reach.
By looking for underlying patterns, physicists believe that it may be possible to work out if we are existing in a computer created universe, created many years in the future. Looking at constraints imposed on simulations by limited resources could show signs that we are mere bit-part players in a Matrix-style film plot.
It will take many years to reach the computational power to give a real glimpse of whether we are living in a simulation, the scientists contend, but even by looking at the tiny portion of the universe that we can currently accurately model, it may be possible to detect 'signatures' of constraints on physical processes that could point to a simulation.
The researchers suggest that a signature could show up as a limitation in the energy of cosmic rays, for example. By testing the behaviour of cosmic rays on underlying 'lattice' frameworks governing rules of physics that could exist in future models of the universe, the researchers could find patterns that could point to a simulation.
“This is the first test@ble signature of such an idea,” one of the researchers, Martin Savage, said.
Aside from the rather mind-boggling proposition that we may be part of a computer simulation, another researcher pointed out that this would bring up the possibility of inter-universe computer platforms, and the potential to communicate across these.
“Then the question is, ‘Can you communicate with those other universes if they are running on the same platform?’” UW graduate student, Zohreh Davoudi, asked.

Read more: Scientists plan test to see if the entire universe is a simulation created by futuristic supercomputers - First of its kind | TechEye

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

41 comments for "Dec 12 - Scientists plan to study whether we are, in fact, computer simulated"

12-12-2012, 07:07 PMaway - #2
Sniggit 584 heat pts584

d 
space
$7,158 | POWERFUL
If we are a product of god/consciousnesses wouldnt this kind of be the same type of finding just a different way of looking at it?
 12-13-2012, 03:30 AMaway - #3
5 Sigma 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,702 | 20561651
if this was to be true, that would mean the possibilities of other life forms existing might can be plausible!. Why would the simulation just stop with humans?.

Last edited by 5 Sigma; 12-13-2012 at 04:18 AM..
 12-13-2012, 07:11 AMaway - #4
SpyDa 154 heat pts154

d 
space
$9,654 | POWERFUL
Interesting post....
 12-13-2012, 07:23 AMaway - #5
mainevent4u88 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$3,761 | POWERFUL
In the 14 billion years that have passed, its only taken us 200,000 to reach the point we are at. That could have happened TONS of times in the past and can happen even more in the future.

Now, consider that just one of these hypothetical civilizations built a complex simulation of the universe. Would they just create one? No. They would create many.

Now multiply this by the number of potential civilizations of the past, present, and future, and you will find that it probable that there are millions of 'simulations' built by advanced civilizations.

Now ask yourself this question:

Is it more probable that we are living in one of the millions of potential simulations of the past or present, or is it more probable that we are living in the 1 'real' universe?
 12-13-2012, 07:33 AMaway - #6
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
I know I'ma see an alien before I die. I just know know it.
 12-13-2012, 08:12 AMaway - #7
Tony Franks 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,404 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mainevent4u88
In the 14 billion years that have passed, its only taken us 200,000 to reach the point we are at. That could have happened TONS of times in the past and can happen even more in the future.

Now, consider that just one of these hypothetical civilizations built a complex simulation of the universe. Would they just create one? No. They would create many.

Now multiply this by the number of potential civilizations of the past, present, and future, and you will find that it probable that there are millions of 'simulations' built by advanced civilizations.

Is it more probable that we are living in one of the millions of potential simulations of the past or present, or is it more probable that we are living in the 1 'real' universe?
I think neither is more probable. We don't really know ####, and these studies most likely won't bring us any closer to the truth.
 12-13-2012, 08:22 AMaway - #8
5 Sigma 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,702 | 20561651

Thats an interesting perception. I think that there are dimensional universes being played out at the same time. That some have to be running with our correlation that makes it hard to say what is the real universe?
Are we the creators of this simulation many years ahead in the future or a diff being?. So many ?? Not enough answers
 12-13-2012, 08:36 AMaway - #9
bnw99 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$4,922 | POWERFUL
This is very much plausible..
 12-13-2012, 08:51 AMaway - #10
Moyo420 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$1,281 | 16748619
Originally Posted by Sniggit
If we are a product of god/consciousnesses wouldnt this kind of be the same type of finding just a different way of looking at it?
no lol it would mean we are being created by another living organism not god, the concept of god doesnt exsist on other planets, im almost certain

Originally Posted by Insurgent313
if this was to be true, that would mean the possibilities of other life forms existing might can be plausible!. Why would the simulation just stop with humans?.
it wouldnt stop with us cause it would ruin the reason for simulating a universe in the first place, say i recreated the big bang, theoretically everything should happen the same, the stars in the same places the earth here and even me telling you this

Originally Posted by ManWithoutFear!
I know I'ma see an alien before I die. I just know know it.
yes i feel so too, if you look into singularity we can use technology to evolve to say breath in space(maybe use a different source then oxygen, or use astronaut suits like now just more advanced) or live forever ( constantly replacing the ####ed up body parts, while retaining your memories, or whatever makes us unique. with ths concept i should be able to travel space forever untill i find life, we all should, plus im sure we will get clsoe to the speed of light so it wont take to long

Originally Posted by Tony Franks
I think neither is more probable. We don't really know ####, and these studies most likely won't bring us any closer to the truth.

explain how it wouldnt

if we were a simulation running on a computer, the truth is i want that computer hoooked up all the time and i dont want anything to shut it down
 12-13-2012, 10:26 AMaway - #11
ogballer32 218 heat pts218

d 
space
$3,409 | POWERFUL
i know yall ni##as tryna get some alien #### before you die
 12-13-2012, 08:46 PMaway - #12
youdug 155 heat pts155

d 
space
$3,670 | POWERFUL
repost.
 12-13-2012, 09:52 PMaway - #13
Bruce Leeroy 

d 
space
$14,655 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ogballer32
i know yall ni##as tryna get some alien #### before you die
 12-13-2012, 09:54 PMaway - #14
UpTownBronx92 218 heat pts218

d 
space
$8,469 | POWERFUL
repost
 12-13-2012, 11:23 PMaway - #15
Nasty Neighbor 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$16,554 | POWERFUL
wasn't this a hot topic lke 2 days ago? same exact article linked and everything
 12-13-2012, 11:23 PMaway - #16
skillahmang 2 heat pts

d 
space
$17,360 | POWERFUL

so there is a computer simulation of me typing this about imagining that there could be a computer simulation of all of humanity

12-13-2012, 11:32 PMaway - #17
one2remember 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,999 | 14727088
ni##as minds cant cope.i brought this up to my folks at work a few month ago.ni##as still wont talk to me
 12-13-2012, 11:39 PMaway - #18
Mike in Tampa 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$10,328 | POWERFUL

youre asking me to consider a hypothetical civilizations and you lose me right there. Now you use your imagination to fabricate a whole scenario which is not based on any factual evidence.

Then you tell me to ask myself a question that is flawed because it is based on a hypothetical civilization that you made up. In a scenario that you fabricated. nah man. im good
 12-13-2012, 11:44 PMaway - #19
bibbyboi 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$7,751 | POWERFUL
If it were a simulation then wouldn't my thoughts be read by the person controlling the simulation? If so, whoever is controlling the simulation change my code to live forever and have super powers. Also keep the Lakers losing.
 12-13-2012, 11:49 PMaway - #20
Got Cheeve? 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$41,000 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by one2remember
ni##as minds cant cope.i brought this up to my folks at work a few month ago.ni##as still wont talk to me

Same here, brought this up when I was visiting family and we were all drinking around the table trading stories and talking about random ####, politics, etc. Everyone was like

Anyone seen the Thirteenth Floor?

This theory is precisely what happens in this movie. It came out the same time as the Matrix so no one remembers it, but both deal with the same type of possibility though in different ways.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Wii U - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U >>>>
69 comments
NBA According to Bleacher Report: Steve Nash will miss entir..
50 comments
NBA 2013 Superteam Lakers the worst manufactured Superteam i..
78 comments
 NBA Espn Nba Insiders: Harden, Howard Among Most Overrated...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 61 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 Image(s) inside Daaaaamn My Nigga French Montana Back
New reply 32 minutes ago - 102 comments - by SHADOW
 Image(s) inside Alfie From Old Nick Show "my Brother & Me&quo...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 84 comments - by KleanKutt100
 NBA Espn First Take: Nash Or Iverson: Who's The Better Pla...
New reply 36 minutes ago - 189 comments - by JNumbaNC
 BOX Floyd Mayweather Is Scared Of Black Fighters
New reply 15 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Blue Mercury
 Image(s) inside Wealthy Woman Ask "must I Give Out Halloween Cand...
New reply 1 hour ago - 53 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
  Is There Any Rapper That Never "fell Off"?
New reply 19 minutes ago - 159 comments - by JewsusChrist
 Image(s) inside Jaime Fox's Hairline Has A Taper Implant
New reply 3 hours ago - 125 comments - by foshomoney

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,797 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.