This is BX @ Boxden.com

Aug 3 - Six teens drown trying to save each other from Red River sinkhole

Aug 3 - Six teens drown trying to save each other from Red River sinkhole
Unhappy topic by Storchaveli - 08-03-2010, 04:36 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

SHREVEPORT, La. — Six teenagers from at least two families drowned in the Red River in northwest Louisiana after they stepped off a ledge from shallow water into a 18-foot sinkhole Monday, fire officials said.

Shreveport Fire Chief Brian Crawford told the Shreveport Times that the victims, aged 13 to 18, had drowned while trying to save each other. Only one, a 14-year-old, was rescued.

Emergency crews on both sides of the river responded to reports of a single person drowning before 6:30 p.m., just south of the area in Charles and Marie Hamel Memorial Park. It took fire officials about 10 minutes to locate the sinkhole, and that's when they learned there were multiple victims.

Dive teams from Shreveport and Bossier fire departments, as well as members of the Caddo Parish sheriff's office, searched the water about an hour before recovering the first body. By 10:30 p.m., all the bodies were recovered.

None could swim
Marilyn Robinson, a friend of the families, watched helplessly as the children, five boys and a girl, went under, the Times reported.

"None of us could swim," the 38-year-old told the newspaper. "They were yelling 'help me, help me. Somebody please help me.' It was nothing I could do but watch them drown one by one."

With tears rolling down her face, Louise Edwards, another witness, added: "It was hard watching them and not being able to help. Some people tried to jump in, but they were already gone. It's like a nightmare. Lord please help us, please."

Robinson said a group of family and friends, including about 20 children, had been out at a sandbar to barbecue and enjoy the water. She said they were familiar with the area, the Times reported.

Crawford was clearly affected by the tragedy as he announced the de@ths.

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid, and it's with a heavy heart, to report that we have pulled so far (six) bodies from the river," he said, according to the Times. "I can honestly say that in my 26 years of service I've never seen anything of this magnitude. And I hope I never see it again.

"It's truly catastrophic and I can only imagine the effect it has on the families," he added.

Unfamiliar area
The teens had started playing in the area that they knew.

"One child ventured off into an area that he was unfamiliar with, and some of the other children had gone off with him," Crawford told the Times. "They went into the vicinity of an 18-foot sinkhole."

"And once one started toppling into that sinkhole grabbing a hold of another, trying to save another, eventually seven were pulled into the hole," he added.

Assistant fire chief Fred Sanders said it was believed the dead included three brothers from one family and a sister and two brothers from another.

The families were in recreational area of the Red River, Sanders said. The park is a popular picnic and fishing area and some people go wading.

"It's devastating," Sanders said. "To my knowledge the city has never experienced an incident of this magnitude. Unfortunately, neither the children nor the adults could swim."

The Times reported that only one life jacket was available.

Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover, members of the City Council and Caddo Schools Superintendent Dr. Gerald Dawkins arrived at the scene with rescue crews.

Area ministers and city officials helped console grief-stricken relatives and friends as they gathered at the park and waited to receive updates from authorities.

The area where the teens drowned is not a public beach, and trenches had actually been dug to make it more difficult for people to enter the water, Glover said.

"The river's condition today, it has a little bit of current," said Donna Jackson with Caddo sheriff's marine unit Monday.

"It's like any other waterway or lake. If you don't know what's out there, the dangers like the drop off the jetty, this sort of thing can happen," she added. "We've been very fortunate in the last few years; everything has gone well. Unfortunately, this happened today."
Six teens drown in Louisiana river - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

:sad5: Damnit man, I felt this one. I know it may sound like I'm joking, but I'm really not.... damnit black people, teach yourselves how to swim. This is horrible. And they were trying to help each other. ####, man. RIP. :sad5:

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

100 comments for "Aug 3 - Six teens drown trying to save each other from Red River sinkhole"

08-03-2010, 04:52 AMaway - #2
born wisdom 

d 
space
$1,883 | 3508308
yea RIP, but damn really how hard is it to swim... doggy paddle its innate. they coulda all been saved. sad. :sad2:
 08-03-2010, 04:54 AMaway - #3
Sean McDevitt 4 heat pts

d 
space
$6,738 | 15313591
:/ ...t hat s ucks
r..i..p
 08-03-2010, 05:11 AMaway - #4
jumpman2304 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$12,318 | POWERFUL
Very very sad man. Damn
 08-03-2010, 05:58 AMaway - #5
Eddie..|M 7 heat pts

d 
space
$15,214 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RamazedAGAIN
why didnt the state put any warning signs?....surely a 18 foot sink hole should of been brought to the publics attention.
the better question is why are they walking in a river
 08-03-2010, 06:05 AMaway - #6
HHS 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,175 | POWERFUL
That section of the river was apparently not open to the public, and was blocked off so it was hard to access, so I don't know that you can blame the state.
 08-03-2010, 06:35 AMaway - #7
GST 

d 
space
$12,201 | POWERFUL
may the Lord bless and keep them
 08-03-2010, 06:43 AMaway - #8
Shea-bird 5 heat pts

d 
space
$1,557 | 6463203
Originally Posted by Blood Edge
most people period don't know how to swim....unless they live near a large body of water or need it for a job it isn't useful for them

that's why so many drown in flash floods and boat accidents
That's a pretty good point. Still though, it should be a requirment taught in school or something. Knowing how to swim is extremely important.

R.I.P. though.
 08-03-2010, 07:25 AMaway - #9
Woodwin 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,039 | 10303966
alot of my ni##as dont know how to swim male and female...im like ni##a its so easy, last year i taught about 5 of my homeboys to swim. #### might save your life one day it really should be taught in school
 08-03-2010, 07:35 AMaway - #10
franchise 57 heat pts57

d 
space
$7,451 | POWERFUL
since when is not drowning not useful to people

what about when ur kid/friends are drowning? is it not useful then too?

and u kno damn well that every1 has pools with swim classes near them, u dont have to live near an ocean to kno how to swim.

story is kinda sad sure but kids was dumb as shiit.

we cant swim so lets go play in the water o snap ur drowning let me jump in and drown with u
 08-03-2010, 07:42 AMaway - #11
Woodwin 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,039 | 10303966
Originally Posted by franchise
since when is not drowning not useful to people

what about when ur kid/friends are drowning? is it not useful then too?

and u kno damn well that every1 has pools with swim classes near them, u dont have to live near an ocean to kno how to swim.

story is kinda sad sure but kids was dumb as shiit.

we cant swim so lets go play in the water o snap ur drowning let me jump in and drown with u
growing up we didnt have pools near us, and the closest ones i wouldnt stick a toe in it...my parents put us in a swim school after my cousin drowned

and after u grow up that ego kick in they just dont wanna be taught people put it off so long they just view it as not needed..and yea they was playing in some water but it was prolly shallow water, they didnt expect a 18 foot sinkhole out of no where but they shouldnt of been in that restricted area anyway
 08-03-2010, 07:44 AMaway - #12
KnightOfTears 2 heat pts

d 
space
$2,849 | POWERFUL
I learned to swim when I was like 5 years old. I know so many poeple who can't swim and don't want to learn. I've even had to jump in and rescue a few of them. This story is very sad. The reality of a situation like this is that you can be the best swimmer in the world but if you; by some chance, panic when you hit the water, you are more than likely not gonna be able to swim. This was completely out of nowhere since they were standing on the ground (sand in this case) in knee level water, then the one in front stepped off into the sinkhole and everyone just paniced and grabbed the one closest to them. At that point if you are standing there and you know you can't swim....you see what you are standing on give away....and you are going to fall in the water because you have nowhere to go....you are paralyzed. R.I.P to the victims, and condolences to their family. The worse part had to be all their family on the bank just having to watch that #### because they couldn't swim either. :(

Last edited by KnightOfTears; 08-03-2010 at 07:48 AM..
 08-03-2010, 08:04 AMaway - #13
DatKidDex 

d 
space
$3,505 | 18416499
Originally Posted by born wisdom
yea RIP, but damn really how hard is it to swim... doggy paddle its innate. they coulda all been saved. sad. :sad2:
Ignorance....if your walking in ankle high water how would you see a 18 foot deep sink hole ???
 08-03-2010, 08:30 AMaway - #14
M 2 heat pts

d 
space
$13,659 | POWERFUL
so sad :sad5:
 08-03-2010, 08:40 AMaway - #15
franchise 57 heat pts57

d 
space
$7,451 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KnightOfTears
The reality of a situation like this is that you can be the best swimmer in the world but if you; by some chance, panic when you hit the water, you are more than likely not gonna be able to swim.
no way.

and next time learn to space a damn paragraph. giant blocks of text get gif'd not read.
 08-03-2010, 08:44 AMaway - #16
franchise 57 heat pts57

d 
space
$7,451 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Woodwin
and after u grow up that ego kick in they just dont wanna be taught people put it off so long they just view it as not needed.
at that point, they are choosing a chance of de@th or being helpless while loved ones drown.

its pointlessly beyond retarded. i have no sympathy for their choice or their impending doom.
 08-03-2010, 08:49 AMonline - #17
justinjones 242 heat pts242

d 
space
$42,776 | POWERFUL
why i never heard anything good come out of shreveport. i lived there for two years and never heard a good thing come out from there.

r.i.p to them kids
 08-03-2010, 08:50 AMonline - #18
beast mode 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$10,692 | POWERFUL
damn that's sad, everybody should learn how to swim. only thing you have to get passes is the fear (for those who don't know how) i think it's harder to drown then swim to be honest. r.i.p drowning gotta be one of the worse ways to go
 08-03-2010, 08:54 AMaway - #19
Ron O'Neal 

d 
space
$1,660 | 7873624
Originally Posted by Shea-bird
That's a pretty good point. Still though, it should be a requirment taught in school or something. Knowing how to swim is extremely important.

R.I.P. though.
youre absolutely right. i went to high school in the suburbs of philly (moms didnt want me in that philadelphia school district. cant blame her either) and swimming class was a requirement there for your 10th grade year. instead of gym you took swimming all year. you couldnt graduate unless you passed this class. before that class i wasnt a good swimmer at all but after i was MUCH better.

i think a lot of schools with money that can afford pools are doing this. the problem is most inner city schools can barely afford new books let alone a pool for the school.

RIP to the kids. this is really sad.
 08-03-2010, 09:16 AMaway - #20
EastBroadway 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$4,461 | POWERFUL
Crazy Points Here:

Black Children
13-18 Years Of Age
From Louisiana
Hurricane Katrina
Playing In A River

And You Can't Swim?

A Mexican Can Swim Like 3,000 Miles Without Slurping Oil Underwater.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  2014 Fall Television Schedule
56 comments
BOX Floyd mayweather making major changes to his team
87 comments
NFL Buffalobills.com
50 comments
 Article inside Samsung Galaxy S5 Beats Iphone 6 In New Benchmarks
New reply 14 seconds ago - 104 comments - by LTE
  Name Songs Where A Rapper Tried To Create The Same Hit...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 80 comments - by OswaldBatesJr
  Rappers That You Used To Bump Heavy But Then Completel...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 205 comments - by Slickems
 Video inside This Woman Takes A Photo Of Herself Every Day For 1 Ye...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 73 comments - by mrfreak76
 Image(s) inside :kanyewhatisthis: ???
New reply 4 minutes ago - 121 comments - by Solitary Genius
  Tracklist For T.i.'s New Album "paperwork" R...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 77 comments - by CaliSteppin
  Galaxy Note 4 Prices
New reply 5 minutes ago - 53 comments - by abacabb
 Video inside Jennifer Lopez Booty(remix) Ft. Iggy Azalea
New reply 15 minutes ago - 85 comments - by TheBoss2012

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.