b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Apr 27 - Youngest victim of '92 L.A. riots was shot while still in mother's womb

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

join bx

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Apr 27 - Youngest victim of '92 L.A. riots was shot while still in mother's womb
topic by jlandryst - 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Nearly 20 years ago, the most innocent victim of the riots that were gripping Los Angeles had yet to be born — she was shot while still in her mother's womb.

Her mother survived — and miraculously, so did she, with a small scar on her elbow as the only physical evidence of the shooting.

On April 30, 1992 — while swarms of looters, police and rioters raged through her Compton block — 71/2 month-pregnant Elvira Evers felt a bullet pierce her skin.

“I remember everything like it was yesterday,” Evers told NBC Los Angeles.

At the time, looters and fires ravaged the city. The riots were sparked by the acquittal of four cops accused of the brutal beating of Rodney King, which was caught on tape. The case of King, an African-American, fueled racial tension that then spiraled into violence and homicides. Fifty-four people were k!lled.

A friend rushed Evers to St. Francis Medical Center, where doctors performed an emergency Caesarean section.

Evers slept for a week.

When she came to, she a$sumed her baby hadn’t made it. But then a nurse brought her Jessica, whose elbow had been hit by the 9-mm. bullet.

“I saw the baby and I touched her and I cried and I cried,” Evers told NBC Los Angeles.

A 1992 report by The a$sociated Press detailed Evers’ shock when she left the hospital and returned home to Compton.

“Everything was different to me,” she told The AP. “All the stores around there were burned. It’s just like I was brand-new going to that place.”

She reportedly told a friend, “I know I deserve better than this,” then moved to nearby Gardena.

Now, days before her 20th birthday, Jessica Evers tries to understand how she survived, and why.

“As each day goes by, I try to find out what I’m here for,” she told NBC Los Angeles.

“I’m innocent, but then again there are other innocent people that got hurt, too,” she added.

Although the riots’ 20th anniversary is just around the corner, Evers says she’s forced to remember them every year on Jessica’s birthday.

“I get sad,” she told NBC Los Angeles. “Because 20 years ago, I was supposed to be dead. So I have God to give thanks.”

Read more: Los Angeles riots' youngest victim, shot while in her mother's womb, remembers the violence 20 years later - NY Daily News

5 comments for "Apr 27 - Youngest victim of '92 L.A. riots was shot while still in mother's womb"

04-27-2012, 10:54 AMonline - #2
quan3106 47 heat pts47

d 
space
$4,616 | POWERFUL
Wow...she should drop a rap record....#### is so gangsta...
 04-27-2012, 07:57 PMonline - #3
Suppafresh 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$5,160 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne
She was shot when she was unborn
The bullet pierced her like a thorn
But she made it through alive
God gave her 2 lives
Reads your rap looks at your avi and ni##a that #### weak like that f#g a$s base good
 04-27-2012, 08:05 PMonline - #4
Black Samurai 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$2,472 | POWERFUL
I remember that ####, like it was 20 years ago
 04-27-2012, 09:58 PMaway - #5
Deniro732 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,522 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne
She was shot when she was unborn
The bullet pierced her like a thorn
But she made it through alive
God gave her 2 lives
@ having an avy with a g.o.a.t and a f.a.g ..even pacs hologram wouldn't dare be caught with the likes of lil b

Image inside  Dec 18 - Tsarnaev appears in court for 1st time since..
65 comments
Image inside  Dec 17 - Obama: As a black man he's been mistaken for..
61 comments
So, "The Interview" will get a VOD/DVD release, right?? Um......
86 comments
 Image(s) inside Yung Berg Won Tho....
New reply 3 minutes ago - 52 comments - by strungout
 NFL Bears Bench Cutler; Jimmy Clausen To Start Next Game
New reply 12 minutes ago - 239 comments - by eliwood
  Sony Leak: Denzel Washington Should Not Be Given Lead ...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 138 comments - by Dead Masons
 Image(s) inside Instagram Exposes Mase For Buying Fake Followers
New reply 26 minutes ago - 114 comments - by Frankybaby
 NBA Lakers Offer Picks + Nash For Rondo
New reply 9 minutes ago - 87 comments - by o7media
 Image(s) inside Man Spends $200,000 On Surgery To Look Like Kim Kardas...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 61 comments - by Ole-G
 Video inside [exclusive] New Video Of Bobby Shmurda & Gs9 Being...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 269 comments - by sdot216
 Video inside Azealia Banks Goes Off On Ti, Iggy + Black Music Being...
New reply 29 minutes ago - 51 comments - by acegutta22

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,901 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,847 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.