This is BX @ Boxden.com

Apr 21 - My Innocent Brother Was Made Into a b0mbing Suspect: Sunil Tripathi's Sister Speaks

Apr 21 - My Innocent Brother Was Made Into a b0mbing Suspect: Sunil Tripathi's Sister Speaks
topic by RAZAH CUTS - 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

> Apr 21 - My Innocent Brother Was Made Into a Bombing Suspect: Sunil Tripathi's Sister Speaks - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

In the aftermath of Monday's Boston Marathon attack, a heaving pile of junk information clouded the breaking news reports. Casualty figures were botched, the number of explosive devices was misreported, and suspects were wrongly identified. On that last front, one of the families deeply affected by the press and public's false conclusions was that of Sunil Tripathi, a 22-year-old Brown University philosophy student who went missing on March 16.

Sunil's family, who live in Radnor Township, Pennsylvania and describe him as "kind, gentle, and shy," had launched a social-media campaign to find him; their Facebook page garnered nearly a quarter million views in the first week of his disappearance. As the police search for Sunil expanded, his story began to make national news last month with mentions from Fox News, ABC News, the Boston Globe, and other outlets.

The Tripathi family's ordeal collided with the Boston b0mbings shortly after the FBI released images of the two suspects late Thursday. Reddit and other popular social-media platforms, already abuzz with theories of suspicious characters caught on camera near the b0mb sites, embarked on a mission to ID the two young men. One of the young women who went to high school with Sunil thought she recognized him from one of the photos released by the FBI. Redditors also picked up on the supposed likeness, and by the evening Reddit and Twitter (on which "Sunil Tripathi" would soon trend worldwide) had exploded with the theory. By about 7:30 p.m. EDT, the Tripathi family began to be flooded with calls, Facebook posts, and harassing emails raising the allegation. The family suspended the Facebook page at around 10 p.m., flagged the messages, and reached out to law enforcement agencies, including the FBI.

"The hardest part of this was how far from any actual evidence there actually was, and how quickly and how painfully this traveled."
Many national and local reporters caught wind of the Reddit-powered theory, and by Friday morning roughly a dozen news vans had parked themselves at the Tripathi residence in Radnor eager to question the family. (All of this, even though Sunil's Tripathi's name was never once mentioned on the Boston police scanner prior to the initial suspicions on Twitter.)

"We were hoping the Boston investigation was advancing fast enough that it would publicly prove what [my family] all knew," Sangeeta Tripathi, Sunil's sister (a 2004 Brown graduate who now works as an NGO public health professional), tells me. "The hardest part of this was how far from any actual evidence there actually was, and how quickly and how painfully this traveled...We find it incredibly unfortunate that media outlets were so quick to jump without checking with authorities, but we hope they use the same energy and intensity they showed in the past 24 hours to really help us find Sunil."

After hours of fevered speculation, early on Friday morning NBC's Pete Williams batted down the rumors, and broke the news that authorities had identified brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as the primary suspects.

The moderator of the "FindBostonb0mbers" subreddit page (going by the name "Rather_Confused") released a statement apologizing: "This event shows exactly why the no personal information until confirmation rule is in place. Out of respect for Tripathi and his family, I ask that users here please remove any and all links about him."

I asked Sangeeta if her family had yet received any apologies from news organizations whose employees (including BuzzFeed and Politico) helped push the erroneous ID. "No, we have not," she says. "Apologies have been limited to particular individuals and a few network-based responses, including the Reddit apology."

As the Boston Marathon manhunt winds down, the Tripathi family's nightmare continues. Sunil Tripathi remains missing; authorities do not suspect foul play, and an FBI forensic analysis turned up zero clues to his whereabouts.

"Every minute is extremely difficult to maintain hope," Sangeeta says. "But we hope that the other side of this very, very, very sharp sword is that we have more eyes on [Sunil's story]."

The family has launched another campaign on Facebook encouraging supporters to write messages of love and encouragement on their hands and post the photos online. Sangeeta tells me that they had planned to start this campaign on Tuesday, but benched the idea after the b0mbing. They had no way of knowing that the two stories would become so harrowingly, and so wrongly, intertwined.

My Innocent Brother Was Made Into a b0mbing Suspect: Sunil Tripathi's Sister Speaks | Mother Jones

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

78 comments for "Apr 21 - My Innocent Brother Was Made Into a b0mbing Suspect: Sunil Tripathi's Sister Speaks"

04-21-2013, 05:00 PMaway - #2
BayArea51 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$5,188 | POWERFUL
good stuff
 04-21-2013, 06:22 PMaway - #3
Fras1788 146 heat pts146

d 
space
$8,732 | POWERFUL
 04-21-2013, 06:34 PMaway - #4
jmheight1 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$2,385 | POWERFUL
Reddit celebrating that they solved the case
 04-21-2013, 09:36 PMaway - #5
davon4204 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,872 | 18240760
Knew they were gonna make somebody the fall guy for their bull!!.
 04-21-2013, 09:47 PMaway - #6
voewyd 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$24,129 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by davon4204
Sunil isn't a suspect, the kid is missing.
 04-21-2013, 09:55 PMaway - #7
Kadillac87 180 heat pts180

d 
space
$12,923 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
Sunil isn't a suspect, the kid is missing.
You know ppl on BX just glance at the thread title and then post.
 04-21-2013, 10:36 PMaway - #8
Cee4our 

d 
space
$3,005 | 15688747
 04-22-2013, 08:53 AMaway - #9
DEDOS 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$40,347 | POWERFUL
conspiracy loonies dont give a !!
 04-22-2013, 10:24 AMaway - #10
eCity 420 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$6,280 | POWERFUL
Thats some !!d up !! these internet losers be doing.. Acting all high and mighty on their computer like they been working in the FBI, doin some James Bond detective work by looking at pictures and !!..
!!n retards just caused a lot of hardship and stress on innocent people.

Lesson - get the !! off facebook
 04-22-2013, 10:26 AMaway - #11
DrizzyJT 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$6,828 | 19562026
There whole family are !!in terrorists
 04-22-2013, 10:52 AMaway - #12
dank 5 heat pts

d 
space
$884 | 2503765
Originally Posted by Got Cheeve?
you guys are idiots, I already posted it earlier:

Reason that one doesnt look the same is, different angles of his face, plus hes not smiling so his mouth looks tiny compared to when hes cheesing.

Originally Posted by eCity 420
Thats some !!d up !! these internet losers be doing.. Acting all high and mighty on their computer like they been working in the FBI, doin some James Bond detective work by looking at pictures and !!..

i agree, !!s not cool
 04-22-2013, 08:28 PMaway - #13
jmheight1 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$2,385 | POWERFUL

bet you go around calling people sheep.
 04-22-2013, 08:31 PMaway - #14
5_star_smitty|m 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$33,349 | POWERFUL
!!ing internet detectives
 04-22-2013, 08:38 PMaway - #15
Quontal 

d 
space
$419 | 862902
Originally Posted by jmheight1

bet you go around calling people sheep.
.... It Really is a bunch of B.S. tho... People gotta open there eyes and stop being Goverment Robots!
 04-22-2013, 08:48 PMaway - #16
Left Hook 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$11,947 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by eCity 420

This. Friggin' nerds, man, I swear.
 04-22-2013, 08:56 PMaway - #17
OC123 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$13,864 | POWERFUL
lord half mercy on his sole
 04-22-2013, 09:05 PMaway - #18
FlamboyantOne 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,499 | 9935309
tl; dr
 04-22-2013, 09:09 PMaway - #19
IronMaiden 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$12,119 | POWERFUL
Now i understand why conspiracy theorist are so !!ing stupid.

They don't read actual news or posts. They just go by what loonies like Alex Jones spouts.
 04-22-2013, 09:20 PMaway - #20
THaXcEpTiOnAL1 6 heat pts

d 
space
$5,567 | 15354389
i didnt read but is this some conspiracy thing? cause those russians did !!ing b0mb a marathon and u r stupid as !! if u believe any different. that nicca himself on his twitter said that he had "family plans", his dad admitted it, that nicca goes ahead and makes fun of victims...but no, some niccas wanna believe the government hates every1. u ppl dont realize ur whole life u been living under the same government and haven't done !! about it, so quit !!ing whining. a lot of mu!!as are lucky that the US doesn't terminate people who talk !!.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
111 comments
Image inside  Thick Vietnamese chick named Kandy...
58 comments
Image inside  Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
61 comments
 Video inside Dr. Dre Or Pharrell??
New reply 1 minute ago - 89 comments - by AngOmusic93
  Worst Movie Endings
New reply 31 minutes ago - 84 comments - by tre0624
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 11 minutes ago - 109 comments - by bridouble
 Video inside Rita Ora At The Breakfast Club: Jayz, Rihanna Clone, R...
New reply 52 minutes ago - 102 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Image(s) inside This Is What Americans Will Look Like By 2050 – And It...
New reply 22 minutes ago - 54 comments - by fabarab
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Reveals Various 'animal Ambition' Bundles &...
New reply 56 minutes ago - 55 comments - by A.Dot789
 Image(s) inside Here's A Good Reason To Not Shop At Kohl's
New reply 27 minutes ago - 62 comments - by justakidd
 NBA Tim Donaghy: Nba Has Told Refs To Give Nets Calls Over...
New reply 56 minutes ago - 68 comments - by ogballer32

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,649 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.