This is BX @ Boxden.com

hooking up external hard drive to ps3

hooking up external hard drive to ps3
topic by beantown - 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM - Boxden > PS4 & PS3 Lounge

I got this little passport hard drive, it's 500gb but works through a usb rather than a usb and a power cord.

So when I hook up the USB to the ps3 it just shows the status light like the hard drive is hooked up but the ps3 itself doesn't show that anything is hooked up. I have used flashdrives in the past and those worked fine but it's not showing anything as connected when I hook up this drive.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

15 comments for "hooking up external hard drive to ps3"

09-05-2010, 11:18 AMaway - #2
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,337 | POWERFUL
Apparently from the research I did it's based on whether the drive is formatted as exFAT or NTFS... the drive by default is formatted as NTFS which works more efficiently for computers but exFAT is better if you just want to use it as a flashdrive USB. I guess if you have it set as exFAT it would work on PS3 but it's much less efficient, especially if you have more files on it.

Not 100% sure if this is the case but if someone could let me know if they know that'd be great thanks..
 09-05-2010, 11:25 AMaway - #3
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Its called FAT32, use swissknife () to format it, I think windows can't format over 320GB or something so you need a program for that, NTFS is not compatible with Sony devices.

FAT32 works fine and is probably more st@ble than NTFS, just slower on transfer speed. Also too late but I wouldn't recommend getting a large drive without a power adapter, they are useful as the PS3 can only do so much generating power to the device.
 09-05-2010, 12:19 PMaway - #4
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,175 | 17400239
I had/have the 1 gb western digital and never could get it to work with my ps3 and then eventually the little metal piece inside the hard drive broke so now it's just sitting in my room useless for now.
 09-05-2010, 12:45 PMaway - #5
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,337 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by smokeweed101.
Its called FAT32, use swissknife () to format it, I think windows can't format over 320GB or something so you need a program for that, NTFS is not compatible with Sony devices.

FAT32 works fine and is probably more st@ble than NTFS, just slower on transfer speed. Also too late but I wouldn't recommend getting a large drive without a power adapter, they are useful as the PS3 can only do so much generating power to the device.
It's exFAT which is FAT32's successor. Actually most things I read said that NTFS was much better than FAT but I can't be surei. I have a western digital external drive that's FAT and it's been good (::knocks on wood::)

but yea I just got this new one so I could format it either way and not lose anything but I have just heard too many different things to know which way to go too. I wouldn't be using this drive just for ps3 either, I would mostly be using it for other things. I do have a flash drive that works fine with the ps3 so I might just go that route but if I can figure out how to do it on this without losing performance then that's a plus.
 09-05-2010, 12:53 PMaway - #6
katalist 171 heat pts171

d 
space
$33,619 | POWERFUL
I got a new one.. I had to format it for it to work on ps3...
Now I just hook it up to my PS3 and then click on videos.. then SHOW ALL under options and it shows all my thousands of movies.

I use this external for ps3 and computer, load all my good albums and movies onto it and watch em on the ps3.

Format it in FAT32
 09-05-2010, 01:53 PMaway - #7
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,337 | POWERFUL
^I just tried formatting it and throwing a couple videos on there to check to see if it works. There's no option for FAT32, there's only exFAT and NTFS. I read some stuff online that just says exFAT is the successor to FAT32 so I figured if I tried exFAT that would work. The drive works fine on the computer but isn't showing up on the ps3 when I plug it in, and the status light is working for the drive too.

Is there only certain types of files that are compatible to play on ps3? I put 3 movies on there but they are AVI files not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by beantown; 09-05-2010 at 01:56 PM..
 09-05-2010, 02:06 PMaway - #8
TriangleOffense 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$8,789 | POWERFUL
2 things

#### SWISSKNIFE use Partition Wizard Home Edition, and it has to be FAT32
 09-05-2010, 02:11 PMaway - #9
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,337 | POWERFUL

found my answer there.... apparently ps3 doesn't support exfat (aka fat64) hard drives. I wish it did but it's not the end of the world. I just will end up using this flashdrive I have instead. Thanks for the help though.
 09-05-2010, 09:09 PMaway - #10
GR2004 

d 
space
$1,578 | 3921740
You using Windows right now?

If so, go to Start>Right-Click on Computer>Manage

click on Storage>Disk Management (left side of the screen)

Now u see all the drives you have on your computer,

Right-Click on the Drive you plan on using for the PS3>Delete Volume...
(Make sure u don't have nothing important on there!)

Now that ur done, the drive will appear in the bottom window with a black bar over it
Right-Click on the drive>New Simple Volume...

click Next>Simple volume size in MB: 30720 (as in 30(GB) x 1024(MB) = 30720)

click Next>Assign a letter to your drive>click Next

Now as you can see, u can Format the drive to FAT32.
click Next> then Finish. (UR done now)

apparently you can make only a 30 GB (or less) FAT32-partition on an external drive in Windows.
Hope that helps.
 09-05-2010, 09:37 PMaway - #11
proof1984 8 heat pts

d 
space
$4,568 | 0
I have the same problem im just to lazy to format this ####...been meaning to do this #### for over a year
 09-06-2010, 02:01 AMaway - #12
Mr.Heismen 

d 
space
$3,122 | 7691951
so if i wanna make my TerraByte compatible would i have to download one of the programs above
 09-06-2010, 08:59 AMaway - #13
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by beantown
It's exFAT which is FAT32's successor. Actually most things I read said that NTFS was much better than FAT but I can't be surei. I have a western digital external drive that's FAT and it's been good (::knocks on wood::)

but yea I just got this new one so I could format it either way and not lose anything but I have just heard too many different things to know which way to go too. I wouldn't be using this drive just for ps3 either, I would mostly be using it for other things. I do have a flash drive that works fine with the ps3 so I might just go that route but if I can figure out how to do it on this without losing performance then that's a plus.
I guess you mean FAT64, I doubt Sony supports it, just stick to FAT32 or deal with a useless drive. If you want to use it on both the CPU and PS3 why not do FAT32, on my old desktop I can still transfer 10-15 GB movie files on a FAT32 drive in decent time so there is no need to go NTFS.

When you plug out just eject the HD each time to avoid data loss.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 09-06-2010 at 09:03 AM..
 09-06-2010, 09:01 AMaway - #14
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mr.Heismen
so if i wanna make my TerraByte compatible would i have to download one of the programs above
^I just tried formatting it and throwing a couple videos on there to check to see if it works. There's no option for FAT32, there's only exFAT and NTFS.

Yes people, use swissknife (or another external formatting software I could careless)

Windows won't format a large drive in FAT32 on its own, and Sony doesn't support non FAT32 drives, I have confirmed this on the very first post people.

NTFS was developed by Microsoft, they are rivals with Sony and have their own system, common sense.
 09-06-2010, 09:06 AMaway - #15
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Is there only certain types of files that are compatible to play on ps3? I put 3 movies on there but they are AVI files not sure if that makes a difference.
Also for your information AVI is a container, it holds several codecs, if the codec isn't compatible then it won't play. AVI as a container is compatible but there are several incompatible codecs that could be in the container, best bet is to properly format and then see for yourself, if not then ask for step 2.
 09-06-2010, 03:04 PMaway - #16
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts

d 
space
$10,398 | POWERFUL

Or you can stream from your comp using an app like PS3 Media Server.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot > PS4 & PS3 Lounge

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actors/Actresses You Cant Stand
74 comments
NCAAF Why Anthony Brown Called Steve Sarkisian A Racist
65 comments
NBA Down 19 & facing elimination, Elena Delle Donne outscore..
51 comments
 NCAAF Cfb Week 1 Thread
New reply 20 seconds ago - 1019 comments - by eucalyptus
  Aug 29 - The No. 1 Cause Of Death For African-american...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 75 comments - by RokkyRok
 Video inside Dame Dash Answers - "do You Owe Beanie Sigel Mone...
New reply 29 seconds ago - 99 comments - by Dollaz
 NFL Breaking News: Rams Release Michael Sam
New reply 14 minutes ago - 187 comments - by Eazy123
 MMA Ufc 177: Dillashaw Vs. Barão Ii Official Discussion Th...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 143 comments - by Gramz
 Video inside Sway Exposes Troy Ave "freestyling" Off His ...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 191 comments - by WizLatifa
 Image(s) inside Aug 29 - Woman Working 4 Jobs To Make Ends Meet Dies W...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 74 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
  Aug 29 - Positive Hiv Test Again Halts Pr0n Filming
New reply 18 minutes ago - 137 comments - by RAZAH CUTS

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.