This is BX @ Boxden.com

Guide To Building A System

Guide To Building A System
topic by GhosT - 05-29-2007, 09:26 AM - Boxden > Basic Audio Information & Guides

This thread is meant to help you build a system. we will most likely be frequently updating this with more useful info.

One thing before i start this, if you need help picking out brands or anyother help then 1st thing we need to know is your budget, we can't do anythign for you without a budget. 2nd we need to know what kind of sound your looking for, a nice clear system or a n@sty SPL based system. without those 2 bits of info we can't and wont do #### for you.

If people keep creating threads without this info right away, the thread will just be deleted.
We are getting sick of new threads everyday that ask "whats the best amp ever" "whats the best sub ever" "help me build a system" and when we ask their budget they say they don't know. ALL these threads are ####ing bull####, and are very pointless

Ok lets get down to business. This is the order you should build a system, it'll give you better sound if you focus in some areas 1st

1. Buy a nice headunit, the source is a key element in a system. If you have a #### source going to great speakers your still going to get a #### sound

2. Buy a nice pair of components for the front. The reason to focus more on these speakers is becuase majority of all sound you hear is from infront of you. If you put nice components in up front you'll benefit more than if you put nice speakers in the rear.

3. Buy some rear fill. I recommend 5 1/4-6.5 coaxials. Like i said above most of the sound you hear is from in front of you, so when it come to the rear speakers you just need a lil filler for the people int he rear and if you have a a surround sound system. Rear fill is not always needed. Most SQ setups will not have rear speakers at all, and they might have up to 3 set of components up in the front.i Only recommend rear fill if you have the intention of building a surround sound system, or if you need a little more sound. Most of the time if you buy 1 great set of components and put them up front you will have no need for rear speakers

4. Buy an amp for the interior speakers, if you can match each sets specs up then find yourself a 4ch amp that'll push both set's well. if you can't focus more on the front, buy yourself a nice 2ch amp that'll power the front components well. if you want to amp the rears than you can get another 2ch if you can't find a 4ch to push both sets

5. Here's where the sub/s amp/s and box comes into play. This is pretty critical, everything has to match up nicely inorder to get the best sound. Everything will depend on the sound your looking for.
The only boxes i would recommend is either sealed, built to specs or ported, built to specs. Stay away from prefab boxes. they're not always meant to work with every sub out there

now i can't really suggest any type of equipment in here i'm just trying to give people an idea of what they will need to build a nice-excellent system. When your looking into what brands to check out check out the "worst and best brands" thread up top.

When and if you need more suggestions on building a system, feel free to create a thread, BUT make sure you clearly state your budget and what type of things your looking for. do we need to find you a sub, or the whole 9 yards? we need to know that info

one
GhosT

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

16 comments for "Guide To Building A System"

10-10-2007, 05:23 PMaway - #2
Fire_Thief_ 

d 
space
$2,053 | 0
the hell? this is too confusing
 10-25-2007, 06:58 AMaway - #3
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
^it's called reading. if you read it shouldn't be confusing
one
GhosT
 01-25-2008, 09:42 PMaway - #4
jholla31 

d 
space
$314 | 1278897
good lookin
 04-02-2008, 08:41 PMaway - #5
who_mike_odell 

d 
space
$527 | 936720
Originally Posted by GhosT
^it's called reading. if you read it shouldn't be confusing
one
GhosT
ahahaha. true that.
stop being lazy, use ur brain
 06-30-2008, 08:31 AMaway - #6
Jaiden05 

d 
space
$4,768 | 11554973
GHOST do you just remove the compents cross over to connect the amp?
 06-30-2008, 08:39 AMaway - #7
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
Originally Posted by Jaiden05
GHOST do you just remove the compents cross over to connect the amp?
only if your running active, which means you'll run the mid bass woofers and tweets on seperate channels. it's a lot of work

for a passive setup, which is the easiest, just hook the + & - from the amp to the xover's input and then hook up the mids and tweets

basicly if you don't hook up the x-over you need a 4ch amp and a lot of time to tune and adjust all the settings. very demanding.

one
GhosT
 06-30-2008, 08:59 AMaway - #8
Jaiden05 

d 
space
$4,768 | 11554973
only if your running active, which means you'll run the mid bass woofers and tweets on seperate channels. it's a lot of work

for a passive setup, which is the easiest, just hook the + & - from the amp to the xover's input and then hook up the mids and tweets

basicly if you don't hook up the x-over you need a 4ch amp and a lot of time to tune and adjust all the settings. very demanding.

one
GhosT

Thanks man... One more thing. Which one should I roll with?

Alpine SPS-600C
6-1/2" 2-Way 240W Component Speaker System ( Sensitivity: 88 dB
RMS Power Range : 2-80 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 240 Watts
Frequency response: 70-22000 Hz )

MB Quart DSE-216
6.5" 2-way component system with .5" tweeter ( Sensitivity: 2.5 dB
RMS Power Range : 50-120 Watts

Frequency response: 40-32000 Hz )
 06-30-2008, 09:26 AMaway - #9
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
type s without a doubt. those mb quart have a .5" titanium silver tweeter while the type s's have a 1" silk dome tweet. you will get a better cleaner sound from thetype s's

one
GhosT
 06-30-2008, 09:42 AMaway - #10
Jaiden05 

d 
space
$4,768 | 11554973
type s without a doubt. those mb quart have a .5" titanium silver tweeter while the type s's have a 1" silk dome tweet. you will get a better cleaner sound from thetype s's

one
GhosT

Thanks again pimpin. Next up rear stage and a good 10-12 inch sub.
 06-20-2009, 06:38 PMaway - #11
mh bich who els 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,936 | 8965916
i bought regular speakers for my car cuz thats all i could afford.
whats so special about componet speakers? theyre like 3x the price of regular speakers..
 06-27-2009, 10:00 AMaway - #12
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
Originally Posted by mh bich who els
i bought regular speakers for my car cuz thats all i could afford.
whats so special about componet speakers? theyre like 3x the price of regular speakers..
a good set of components will give you a much cleaner sound than a set of coaxials.
one
GhosT
 02-02-2010, 12:13 AMaway - #13
bigrtown2nite 

d 
space
$12 | 1
Expert Opinion needed

I just ordered the soundstream PCA 1500d 3000w amp. Im putting it on 3 cvr 4ohm dvc 12". Im wiring the speakers in parrel to get 2ohms of impedence. The speakers rms is 400w and the amp at 2ohms is rated at 1100w rms. Is this a good setup?
 02-18-2010, 05:55 AMaway - #14
PhrenologyW 

d 
space
$42 | 0
props thx
 03-14-2010, 06:21 AMaway - #15
stu-j 

d 
space
$282 | 97228
Now i'm a complete noob with car stereos but I just got a question - I've got a Vectra SRI XP (dont know if they have these in the US). It has a really big boot and fairly decent speakers as standard.

I'm after getting a sub woofer for it though as I don't get the bass sound i'd like from the current speakers.

I mainly listen to hip hop - so a sub built to handle deeper bass is probably what i'm looking for (like i said - complete noob!)

Anyway, i'm not after an amp or anything as like I mentioned i'm pretty pleased with the current sound, all i'd like is a decent sub.

Can this be easily done or would you need an amp before you install a sub? And if not - on average how much would i be looking at spending on a mid range sub? I don't really have a budget, but i'm after something more mid range than anything. And any suggestions on subs I should be looking at for what I need?

Sorry to sound like a retard when writing this but I really don't know much about this ####!
 03-09-2011, 06:06 PMaway - #16
pyromaniac414 

d 
space
$46 | 119811
Originally Posted by stu-j
Now i'm a complete noob with car stereos but I just got a question - I've got a Vectra SRI XP (dont know if they have these in the US). It has a really big boot and fairly decent speakers as standard.

I'm after getting a sub woofer for it though as I don't get the bass sound i'd like from the current speakers.

I mainly listen to hip hop - so a sub built to handle deeper bass is probably what i'm looking for (like i said - complete noob!)

Anyway, i'm not after an amp or anything as like I mentioned i'm pretty pleased with the current sound, all i'd like is a decent sub.

Can this be easily done or would you need an amp before you install a sub? And if not - on average how much would i be looking at spending on a mid range sub? I don't really have a budget, but i'm after something more mid range than anything. And any suggestions on subs I should be looking at for what I need?

Sorry to sound like a retard when writing this but I really don't know much about this ####!
you need an amp to power the sub. and you can pick up some decent subs online for around $100, or you could look on craigslist or whatever classifieds you have where you are and you can find some decent deals. or just go to an electronics store and find something you like and get it cheaper on the internet.
 03-26-2011, 03:48 PMaway - #17
mrmondayniight 2 heat pts

d 
space
$527 | 2882839
Once you throw a sub in, you'll see how bland those stock speakers really are

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems) > Basic Audio Information & Guides

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Lil Durk's Baby Mama is a freak
73 comments
The PS4 SharePlay thread: Online Couch Coop and trying out othe..
103 comments
NBA Kobe Bryant Calls Dwight Howard "A bi-ch Ass N***A"
110 comments
 Image(s) inside Oct 29 - Aliens Are Real Reveals Former Area 51 Scient...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 113 comments - by Rick Ross
  Beyonce Comes Out To Support Her Childhood Crush Jake ...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 115 comments - by HipHopFactz
 Video inside 10 Hours Of Walking Around Nyc As A Woman (ny Niggas A...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 273 comments - by Tastemaker331
 Video inside Smack/url Presents- T Rex Vs Charlie Clips [anticipati...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 378 comments - by ZeusSlaps
 NBA Kobe Bryant Calls Dwight Howard Soft
New reply 11 minutes ago - 71 comments - by Ham Rove
 Image(s) inside Iggy Azalea In Spandex Running Errands In Los Angeles
New reply 29 minutes ago - 55 comments - by Steve
 Image(s) inside Floyd Mayweather Wearing Bedazzled Louboutin Boots
New reply 13 minutes ago - 64 comments - by nicoled985
 audio inside Future - Monster [anticipation/discussion Thread]
New reply 29 minutes ago - 177 comments - by Marlo Stanfield

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,803 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.