This is BX @ Boxden.com

Why does ebay charge so much to sell stuff?

Why does ebay charge so much to sell stuff?
topic by RalphLaurenJR - 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

I been with ebay since 01 and been selling on and off for a few years, and it seems like they are robbing you when you sell stuff, i sold two items and they invoiced me for 70 bucks, anybody know any other alternative sites?

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

32 comments for "Why does ebay charge so much to sell stuff?"

10-21-2010, 10:20 PMaway - #2
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,567 | POWERFUL
Fee's should have been about 9% of the final price if you are doing non-fixed price auctions.
 10-21-2010, 10:21 PMaway - #3
WorldsStrangest 364 heat pts364

d 
space
$14,608 | POWERFUL
good topic, ebay been robbing folks. they charged me $16 for a final value fee on an auction that later got cancelled. they still took the money from my paypal.

there are alternative sites, but ebay remains the biggest and therefore more possible customers. thats why i continue to deal with thier bull####

depends on what you selling, but you can go to sites that specialize in what your selling. when i was hardcore into comics in 2008-early2010, they had special sites for comic book auctions that included high priced items and alot of people prefered it to the cashr### that is eBay
 10-21-2010, 10:48 PMaway - #4

d 
space
$5,885 | 8341161
They've been ####ed up ever since they got a new president. I used to run my business on there and as soon as that new #### came in, my profit went down a lot because of new fees and new "features".
 10-21-2010, 11:01 PMaway - #5
NLSP42 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$3,246 | POWERFUL
Yeah man it sucks......Ive been selling since 2005 and remember when their fees were lower........I hate their BS but continue to deal with it......ALOT of people have moved to craiglist for this very reason. I myself have not sold anything on CL before....so I am not really sure how it goes....I predict within the next 3-5 years....someone gets a site similiar to Ebay with much lower fees and in the long run surpasses them.
 10-21-2010, 11:20 PMaway - #6

d 
space
$14,608 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NLSP42
Yeah man it sucks......Ive been selling since 2005 and remember when their fees were lower........I hate their BS but continue to deal with it......ALOT of people have moved to craiglist for this very reason. I myself have not sold anything on CL before....so I am not really sure how it goes....I predict within the next 3-5 years....someone gets a site similiar to Ebay with much lower fees and in the long run surpasses them.
CL is a gift and a curse. Ive tried to sell jerseys on there with no takers on CL, but all they sold quick on eBay and some for a sizeable profit.

On the flip side I bought a 500GB portable hard drive from these 2 russian kids off CL about 4-5 months for $60-$70. Brand new. that price beats anything on eBay even to this day. They even came to my area so it was a quick trip to get it.

There's no laws on CL thats why. They expect everyone to police themselves, so if youre willing and ready to take risks and know how to market, then yes try CL, at least as an extension of what youre doing now, not a replacement. Try a couple items and see how that goes.

Last edited by WorldsStrangest; 10-21-2010 at 11:23 PM..
 10-22-2010, 12:41 AMaway - #7
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,567 | POWERFUL
I was hoping google would come out with something.
 10-22-2010, 05:19 AMaway - #8
Got Cheeve? 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$41,000 | POWERFUL
yeah i got some subs i want to sell around me area. craigs list has just gotten me a bunch of scammers. any special sites for subs? South Florida area.
 10-23-2010, 04:20 PMaway - #9
carden2 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$11,950 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by WorldsStrangest
CL is a gift and a curse. Ive tried to sell jerseys on there with no takers on CL, but all they sold quick on eBay and some for a sizeable profit.

On the flip side I bought a 500GB portable hard drive from these 2 russian kids off CL about 4-5 months for $60-$70. Brand new. that price beats anything on eBay even to this day. They even came to my area so it was a quick trip to get it.

There's no laws on CL thats why. They expect everyone to police themselves, so if youre willing and ready to take risks and know how to market, then yes try CL, at least as an extension of what youre doing now, not a replacement. Try a couple items and see how that goes.

you could've got a 1TB for 75

and i didn't even look around. i think those russian kids took you.
 10-23-2010, 06:12 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$14,608 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by carden2

you could've got a 1TB for 75

and i didn't even look around. i think those russian kids took you.
sorry pal, youre wrong. this was 4-5 months ago and mine is a portable hard drive bud. no ac adapter. lol @ your old hard drive technology

vroooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm
 10-23-2010, 06:28 PMaway - #11
o7media 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$12,405 | POWERFUL
Not sure about Ebay because I don't sell stuff on there. But Paypal is a #### with their fees and Ebay and Paypal are the same company so I'm not surprised.

I lose about 5% per transaction on my received payments. And I have a monthly subscription with a large subscriber base so 5% per person per month...it's ####in bull #### lol

So yeah, they're a major rip off.
 10-23-2010, 09:20 PMaway - #12
606robin 5 heat pts

d 
space
$1,915 | 6629260
I hate ebay and there monopoly known as paypal!!

I would leave but people on craigslist are like garage sale buyers they don't wanna pay #### of whats the actual reasonable buyback and ebay is very horrible when it comes to auctions unless you have a high traffiked item buy it now is good but the fees would make most people on wallstreet cut they wrists
 11-24-2010, 12:09 PMaway - #13
RalphLaurenJR 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,979 | 2238986
Originally Posted by 606robin
I hate ebay and there monopoly known as paypal!!

I would leave but people on craigslist are like garage sale buyers they don't wanna pay #### of whats the actual reasonable buyback and ebay is very horrible when it comes to auctions unless you have a high traffiked item buy it now is good but the fees would make most people on wallstreet cut they wrists
real talk.
 11-25-2010, 05:25 PMaway - #14
Woodwin 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,055 | 10619005
Watch out on craiglist cause people go around looking at your stuff when u post it, find out where u live n come back and jack ur #### real talk believe me
 11-25-2010, 10:15 PMaway - #15
Ednyce 

d 
space
$3,365 | 4271158
Originally Posted by RalphLaurenJR
I been with ebay since 01 and been selling on and off for a few years, and it seems like they are robbing you when you sell stuff, i sold two items and they invoiced me for 70 bucks, anybody know any other alternative sites?
funny that you mention this, i was just saying the same thing to myself today. 1 item i listed and i have to give them $87 if it sells. i dont think it was always like that, i think the more popular it got and the more people that started using it the more they charged, cause like you i been ####ing wit ebay for a couple years now & it was never this expensive.
 11-25-2010, 11:51 PMaway - #16
D.O.H. 

d 
space
$4,274 | 5450997
well it depends, its percent based so just depends....I sell a lot of games and things at like $30 or so, and fees are only a few dollars, but I've had fees of like 40 etc, which sucked, but I don't think I could have sold it for as much elsewhere anyway
 11-26-2010, 10:41 AMaway - #17
J AL7 

d 
space
$1,667 | 11809294
Its a jack move all the way around!. Ebay charges you for presentation and what not and then paypal (1 n the same) turns around and charges you more fees. I've been a purchaser on ebay for a minute now and just sold my first item last month, ebay took their lil bit of change first then i get an email from paypal like ante up pimpin you still in the hole. Had i known all of the extras i would have just hustled the item at work!
 11-26-2010, 04:47 PMaway - #18
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,746 | POWERFUL
Ebay charges high fees simply because they can... like it or not... ebay is on top they can charge u half of what u make and people still will be forced to shop on ebay, because at the end of the day, they are still making money, that would have not of been made, and people are still saving even if its a few more dollars...

CL is a risky business, I just advise u to never meet at night, and always meet in a big public setting, bring a friend if possible, stay strapped if possible... too many scammers people who have no time on their hands.. the fact that CL has no guidelines are method to protect their users or users from scammers... to me CL is not good...

Future of EBAY... I agree with someone earlier, the only way ebay will either go down in pricewill be if they have a competitor... and most likely the only people who will compeition and have a chance of winning is if someone like google tries to compete... ebay can easily be destroyed with a site who has a escrow feature meaning the seller doesnt recieve money untill the item is approved by buyer... and forces everyone to provide detail pictures for certain items or items over a certain price... and lower fees..
 11-29-2010, 01:42 AMaway - #19
RalphLaurenJR 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,979 | 2238986
Originally Posted by Woodwin
Watch out on craiglist cause people go around looking at your stuff when u post it, find out where u live n come back and jack ur #### real talk believe me
so you saying a person would meet you at your house to see your item for sale and come back and take it? lol
 11-29-2010, 08:14 AMaway - #20
4REAL 1 heat pts

d 
space
$11,571 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RalphLaurenJR
so you saying a person would meet you at your house to see your item for sale and come back and take it? lol
Lots of people that want to do dirt go on craiglist. People on craiglist have gotten robbed and mobbed by car sellers. It's very risky. I don't even go on there since I've heard those things. CL is like the homebase for criminals and scammers.

As for ebay. The most I do on ebay is buy.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Xbox One's struggles are traceable to one bad decision
63 comments
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Owners for Fraudulently Refunding ..
79 comments
NBA Carmelo Anthony busts a nut in Lebron's eye (video)
91 comments
 Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Responds To Drake & Wayne ...
New reply 55 seconds ago - 101 comments - by Frankybaby
 NBA Official Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers Vs Chicago Bull
New reply 24 minutes ago - 1366 comments - by Akira Son Bio
 Image(s) inside Hov. Migos. Rowdy Rebel
New reply 1 minute ago - 65 comments - by chrismb
 audio inside Nas - The Season (full Version)
New reply 25 minutes ago - 117 comments - by MANNYSOSA
 Image(s) inside Nas Gettin Sucked Off By Madonna In The Studio (pic)
New reply 13 minutes ago - 122 comments - by PyrexVisionary
 NBA Josh Smith Responds To Kenneth Faried, Calls Him ‘a Cl...
New reply 30 minutes ago - 67 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
  Bigguccisosa Stream Out Now #sosaseason
New reply 13 minutes ago - 63 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside Before Dej Loaf Would Get Your Whole "fombily&quo...
New reply 44 minutes ago - 157 comments - by lilbeast

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,834 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.