This is BX @ Boxden.com

Time to invest in my dream.

Time to invest in my dream.
topic by LYTE - 12-14-2012, 08:11 AM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Good day.
I'm ready to invest into my dream.
Used to want to be a rapper as a teen but as i got older, I prefer to be behind the scenes.
I always wanted to be into the entertainment business, music in particular via owning a label.
In hindsight I knew that I was failing by not trying. & if I try & fail, it was the same outcome as in not trying.

with that being said, Im going to start a record label. I have name/saying that I need to trademark in addition to a logo once I finalized which 1 I want to use. That's the basic part though.

Im more into knowing which books will be great to read to learn more on the business side of it. I never did college nor did or do I have any experience in the music biz side besides my 15 plus years of following it as a fan.

The books im looking for should give me a general idea on the amount of percentage the CEO breaks down between him & team in addition to the titles & responsibilites for CEO & other titles. etc

any information will be appreciated.

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

8 comments for "Time to invest in my dream."

12-15-2012, 04:50 AMaway - #2
Lil Jay 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,053 | POWERFUL
 12-15-2012, 02:35 PMaway - #3
OldeEnglish22oz 5 heat pts

d 
space
$16,227 | POWERFUL
man, good luck. wish i can help you with some advice but I don't know #### about this.
My boy, Cleveland, has his own record label and a studio... he rents out the studio to other artists who want to use it in the downtown area. It's like $100 an hour or something like that...
 12-16-2012, 05:49 PMonline - #4
Spoken210 4 heat pts

d 
space
$2,671 | 6674791
Ok, so all those books only give you the numbers and general info..the information is good, but it's not relevant when you start out...

Setting up your business, ascap, all that b.s people talk about doesn't matter right now, and it won't matter unless you have some talent at your label.

Once you find some talent, then go get a book.

The music game has dramatically changed in the past 2 years, so don't get a book dated before 2010 unless you do some research on it. The market has changed so that shyt in those older books is gna get you ran through by people who know the new game.

You have any questions just ask
 12-18-2012, 07:50 AMaway - #5
Shizz|M 

d 
space
$6,982 | 12236718
Good luck with that bro.. I would start out checking with other local producers and learn what they know about the game before you put out the money.. get a mentor or work with some (calb) on somethings. dont go full force into it by your self or you will go in a whole quickly.. Iknow a couple of people that produce and made their own studios but went ito debt doing so... and 4 years later they are finally getting out that mess. but doing well in the business....

best of luck for you.
 12-18-2012, 09:27 AMaway - #6
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$3,824 | POWERFUL
#1 Stop Spending TODAY

Rap: This Game Of Exposure (Promoting Your Rap Record/Artist)

This book is a little Dated Now, so try to find it FREE in a library

The DAY I got it in the mail I started my business & Taught me how to do taxes, I was overthinking the process, didnt know what I really wanted. it changed everything I was doing

#2 Dont let the Ugly Stop you

The Knowledge to Succeed - Wendy Day

Wendy day has seen it all, been jerked & been real successful. She knows everything you need to know. BUT ... She's RICH enough to be angry at the music business .. You're Not. Keep her advice in the back of your head , but Never repeat it .

#3 Know the Players in the Game .

It should be Free in the library
The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop

You need to know how people are connected . This book takes you into the old Hip Hop business but these are the people that in control NOW Behind the scenes.

What you read in these books are transferable to any business.
I wound up making more money fixing computers in the Music Industry than most Artists & Producers make.
 12-18-2012, 09:36 AMaway - #7
JustForgetIt 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,222 | 7443849
best of luck. i dont know too much about the business, i'm an artist but make sure you do a lot of studying. from my experience there are too many people throwing out contracts before they even know what their job entails. completely annoying when people wanna do business but don't know what they're doing or don't take it serious enough.
 12-18-2012, 12:52 PMaway - #8
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,730 | POWERFUL
I would say do a #### load of research before hand. One thing you can start with though is getting a studio then charging people to record/master/mix if you know how also, you could do some promoting for artist doing online kits over social media setting them up on free sites like soundclicks etc... even getting them free beats or beats online - which could all be a service.
 01-06-2013, 03:43 PMaway - #9
LYTE 55 heat pts55

d 
space
$10,656 | POWERFUL
Happy New Year!!
thanks yall.
I really appreciate ALL of the input that I got. This is going to be a long experience. That's how im going to view it. The Good &/or bad as an experience.

BTW, here is the link to my artist's first video. Feel free to leave 100% honest comments on page.
mixtape d/l is also on the 1st page of the thread

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL MNF - Texans vs. Steelers - 8:30PM
217 comments
What podcasts help you get through work?
58 comments
Article inside  Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje cast in ‘Game of Thrones’: ..
54 comments
 NBA Kobe Bryant: The Lakers Downfall " He's Not As Go...
New reply 18 seconds ago - 130 comments - by MrHashTag
 NBA Kobe To Julius Randle - "if You F*ck This Up, You...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 55 comments - by flyguy2000
 Article inside A Tragedy In Song: "hot N*gga" By Bobby Shmu...
New reply 1 minute ago - 51 comments - by onlybuilt1906
 Video inside Bucks Of Slowbucks Talks Being Dropped From Epic, Snit...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 53 comments - by MajorD
 NBA Lakers Front Office Are Tired Of Kobe Bryant
New reply 3 minutes ago - 115 comments - by MrHashTag
  I Lowkey Miss The 06-07 Era
New reply 4 minutes ago - 181 comments - by Chalky
 Image(s) inside Name 3 Things Your Hometown Is Famous For
New reply 4 minutes ago - 168 comments - by Kwestluv91
 Image(s) inside Oct 19 - Ga Teen Forced To Ground At Gunpoint For Seat...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 96 comments - by RAZAH CUTS

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,827 fans of BX | none new today 4,789 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.