This is BX @ Boxden.com

Opening a Mall kiosk...what should I sell?

Poll results - Which do you think is the best idea?
Gifts Under $20 1 9.09%
Sunglasses 1 9.09%
Milkshakes 4 36.36%
Magazines and snacks 2 18.18%
toys 0 0%
other 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only) [Click here to become a member]

Opening a Mall kiosk...what should I sell?
topic by IamIV - 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

I'm applying for a federal small business loan for the purpose of opening a booth in the mall hallway (kiosk)...Its hard to find a new job in this state of the economy, especially in the city of Detroit so I've decided to be enterprising and start my own business....

The thing is, I'm not sure what to sell....I want to sell something that people won't feel that they could find better in a store in the mall...a magazine stand? milkshakes? batteries? toys? value dvds? cheap sun glasses? primarily women products (more women visit the mall than men), "Gifts Under $20"....

What do you think?

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

38 comments for "Opening a Mall kiosk...what should I sell?"

01-22-2010, 07:56 PMaway - #2
jsmooth-117 6 heat pts

d 
space
$8,385 | POWERFUL
I think this is a totally terrible idea and you should rethink your strategy. Before you ask for a loan you should have your gameplan together before you go and ask for a loan and boxden opinons dont count. Just my $0.02
 01-22-2010, 08:05 PMaway - #3
IamIV 

d 
space
$176 | 401754
Originally Posted by jsmooth-117
I think this is a totally terrible idea and you should rethink your strategy. Before you ask for a loan you should have your gameplan together before you go and ask for a loan and boxden opinons dont count. Just my $0.02
well i totally understand that...i havent even begun writing the business plan because i dont know what im going to sell yet...the loan comes kinda late in the process...but i like boxden..peoples opinions matter..thanks for the input..props
 01-22-2010, 08:05 PMaway - #4
CHRONICLE 

d 
space
$10,234 | POWERFUL
pr0n.
 01-22-2010, 08:11 PMaway - #5
IamIV 

d 
space
$176 | 401754
Originally Posted by CHRONICLE
pr0n.
lol...im catholic..cant do it...besides..people are prudes...they dont want to be seen buyin pr0n in the middle of the mall for everyone to see
 01-22-2010, 09:03 PMaway - #6
Fuel Star 

d 
space
$34 | 62864
You can sell my T-shirts. Check out my website in my sig and see if you like any. It would work out for you because no other store in the mall would be selling them, so you would be exclusive in that aspect.

I would love to get my brand known out there in Detroit. It works out for me as well since I'm new and could use the exposure in other states.

Let me know if you'd be interested..
 01-22-2010, 10:04 PMaway - #7
IamIV 

d 
space
$176 | 401754
Originally Posted by Fuel Star
You can sell my T-shirts. Check out my website in my sig and see if you like any. It would work out for you because no other store in the mall would be selling them, so you would be exclusive in that aspect.

I would love to get my brand known out there in Detroit. It works out for me as well since I'm new and could use the exposure in other states.

Let me know if you'd be interested..
props...I like the Reach for the stars one, Destined for Greatness, and Success is my weapon...email me
 01-23-2010, 07:59 AMaway - #8
big jeffrey 

d 
space
$1,585 | 3034218
Sunglasses wont pop in the winter, just a thought, summer time is another story though. IAmIV, and also alot of teenagers visit the mall, you should check teenage trends.. (google it, seriously) and find a cheap supply of whatever you decide, also children, the women bring their children/ other women friends/ teenage kids, to the mall.
 01-23-2010, 08:20 AMaway - #9
jsmooth-117 6 heat pts

d 
space
$8,385 | POWERFUL
Alright fam I am going to break it down for you. Anytime you try to set up a mall kiosk there are several phases to it.

1) Configuring Target Audience
2) Tailoring merchandise towards that target audience(s)
3) Building clientèle
4) Have a fall back plan/exit strategy. ( For instance if you borrow money from a family friend, or bank; and you don't make the money you anticipate, you have to be prepared to pay that money back and accept your losses) That would be the worse case scenario Obviously!

5) Keep an eye on your inventory. If you have merchandise geared towards children and young adult males (13-19) and the children stuff isn't moving offer deals on the remaining inventory and don't order more in the future. FULL SHELVES=NO PROFIT

6) Be realistic! Meaning you have to have stuff that people actually want at a reasonable price. People are not going to really want to spend more then a certain amount for a product that you have that they can find on ebay for considerably less! People are not stupid, this recession has people clipping coupons, shopping ebay for ways to cut cost.

7) This may or may not work cause i personally haven't implemented this strategy, however I have had partners who have. They offer some sort of "freebie" if you will! Depending on the merchandise it will be more difficult to offer something for free, and if not a freebie just some sort of incentive for people to shop with you other then your charm and wit!

Most importantly of all things mentioned above to focus on would be your audience. That is HUGE you have to figure out what is poppin and what is going to be your bread and butter. Once you figure out your audience whatever it maybe you need to scout out you target audience and be where they be and market yourself (without looking weird and like a stalker of course lol)

GOOD LUCK MAYNE
 01-23-2010, 10:25 AMaway - #10
Metalzoa 

d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
idea is a$s-backwards.

Spots in the mall cost a lot of cash. Personally I think you need to research because being in the mall is no guarantee for success. You need a solid game-plan.

Were I doing this I'd probably target tween girls and my most expensive product will top out at $15.
They are in the mall more than most other groups and they probably don't have a good sense of judgement. A real low sense of value for money, or at least small change. You could sell em damn near anything as long as the price is low enough for them to buy with their allowance.
 01-23-2010, 10:30 AMaway - #11
Don Savant|S 3 heat pts

d 
space
$21,485 | POWERFUL
Get your ideas together BEFORE you try to get the money. You can't go into a new business blind not even know what type of business you want to start. That would be foolish. Most people open businesses based on either consumer want or need. If you're doing a Kiosk...those are usually more effective as impulse items...things that you're not really so much looking for but when you see it, it draws you and you have to have it. If I were you, after I figured out what i wanted to sell, I'l rent a table at the local fleamarket for a little while...build up some clientele, then after business picks up, announce that you are opening a Kiosk or something in the mall and progress on from there.
 01-23-2010, 04:20 PMaway - #12
jsmooth-117 6 heat pts

d 
space
$8,385 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Metalzoa
idea is a$s-backwards.

Spots in the mall cost a lot of cash. Personally I think you need to research because being in the mall is no guarantee for success. You need a solid game-plan.

Were I doing this I'd probably target tween girls and my most expensive product will top out at $15.
They are in the mall more than most other groups and they probably don't have a good sense of judgement. A real low sense of value for money, or at least small change. You could sell em damn near anything as long as the price is low enough for them to buy with their allowance.
MAYNE this is the same #### i just said
 01-23-2010, 05:54 PMaway - #13
omglolwtfbbq 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,241 | 10086807
You mean those mall kiosks that nearly every single person in the mall walks right past without taking a second glance at other than to laugh at how bored the worker is sitting there with nothing to do and no customers?

Good luck and all, but man... I know in the malls around my area, not a lot of business going on at the kiosks.

Last edited by omglolwtfbbq; 01-23-2010 at 05:56 PM..
 01-23-2010, 10:25 PMaway - #14
SCRIP1ONER 4 heat pts

d 
space
$2,149 | 7831716
you should sell graffiti supplies & urban clothing possibly some sport jerseys as well.. the younger people dig it..
 01-24-2010, 02:23 AMaway - #15
BreatheEasyy 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$1,928 | 13732705
you are an absolute moron.
 01-24-2010, 11:49 AMaway - #16
Salty Nuts 

d 
space
$1,073 | 2681974
Originally Posted by IamIV
I'm applying for a federal small business loan for the purpose of opening a booth in the mall hallway (kiosk)...Its hard to find a new job in this state of the economy, especially in the city of Detroit so I've decided to be enterprising and start my own business....

The thing is, I'm not sure what to sell....I want to sell something that people won't feel that they could find better in a store in the mall...a magazine stand? milkshakes? batteries? toys? value dvds? cheap sun glasses? primarily women products (more women visit the mall than men), "Gifts Under $20"....

What do you think?
detroit? your first business move should be to get the hell outta detroit.
 01-24-2010, 05:19 PMaway - #17
JediKnight'sSon 

d 
space
$1,032 | 1998889
you could set up a little "karaoke" booth...besides the equipment, all you need is a huge Archive of Instrumentals.

Laptop w/ Recording Interface - $500

Microphone - $100

Headphones - $50

USB Hard Drive -$100

Give each customer 15 minutes to record a song, and charge them $15. After they finish, apply VocAlign, Autotune, add some Reverb, Delays and EQ... which should take less than 10 minutes.

While working on the previous customers Mix, bring in the next customer to begin recording their track. So on a REALLY busy day, it may be possible to make $60 an hour.

You can either e-mail the track to the customer, or burn it to a CD.

BTW, you don't need a federal loan to set up a Kiosk, most Malls only charge you $800 a month in Rent, and a one time fee of $1,000 to design and set up the booth.

Last edited by JediKnight'sSon; 01-24-2010 at 05:27 PM..
 02-02-2010, 03:56 PMaway - #18
AKS MUZIK 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$5,722 | POWERFUL
A buddy of mine just recently opened 2 kiosks reselling cellular phones from Rogers, Bell, Telus,(Canadian wireless telcos) etc. The margin is not bad, for each activation he re-sells, they get close to $150.00/cdn + he buys a bunch of accessories from China for dirt cheap and marks it up by like 800%. Trust me he caking.....
 02-03-2010, 09:19 AMaway - #19
big jeffrey 

d 
space
$1,585 | 3034218
^^^ yeah but how could we do this in the states benny?
 02-03-2010, 11:05 AMaway - #20
AKS MUZIK 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$5,722 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by big jeffrey
^^^ yeah but how could we do this in the states benny?
Don't you guys have re-sellers in the US?

I mean, if I wanted a AT&T phone do I have to buy it from a AT&T store?

Here in Canada, you can purchase a cellular phone almost anywhere, even at gas stations and the dealer (gas station) gets a commission.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 23 - Substitute Teacher Gives Student A BJ On Her First Day
82 comments
Oct 23 - Ebola in NYC
72 comments
Image inside  Klay Thompson Still Winning Yoooooooooooooooooo!
139 comments
 BOX Floyd Mayweather Is Scared Of Black Fighters
New reply 30 seconds ago - 58 comments - by Blue Mercury
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 213 comments - by st21
  Tay600 Calls Interscope’s Decision To Drop Chief Keef ...
New reply 1 minute ago - 110 comments - by GLOCKN SKIMASK
 NBA Kevin Love Says He Needs More Inside Touches To Get Hi...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 53 comments - by Tha Truth
 NCAAF Notre Dame Freshman Wr Justin Brent Dating Legendary F...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 147 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside White Girl Got Azz!!!!!!
New reply 14 minutes ago - 78 comments - by tokinjohn
  Is There Any Rapper That Never "fell Off"?
New reply 10 minutes ago - 138 comments - by JewsusChrist
 Image(s) inside Ransom Jumps In Ilovemakonnen Beef With Troy Ave After...
New reply 29 minutes ago - 79 comments - by PyrexVisionary

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,798 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.