Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide.

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
187 viewing
 Audio inside UFO Miami Airport Florida September 01, 2015
76 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
115 viewing
 NFL Redskins GMs Wife Tweets ESPN Reporter Used Oral Sex to Get Scoops
106 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
87 viewing
Video inside 80k dislikes in 48hrs
138 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
74 viewing
Lloyd Banks / Tony Yayo Stories
52 comments
@hiphop
people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)
 

let em know Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #81
eightytyson06 38 heat pts38 space
avatar space
Rec League Legend
space
$12,474 | POWERFUL
40k+ in school loans smh forget college

these next ten years gonna be rough my plans though is to get some entry level position and pray it allows me to move up. when i pay these loans off i should be good

and like a lot of people said it depends on your major and if you networked while in college. i believe college isnt designed to get you that good american dream job, its there to help you learn and prepare yourself for the real world.

Last edited by eightytyson06; 12-11-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #82
sm00vb0iiw0nder 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$22,182 | POWERFUL
College's worth depends on your major and the field you plan on entering after graduation.

But the best benefits of college are not the education but the interactions with people. Networking. I was fortunate enough to go to an internship based high school so internships are nothing new to me. I can honestly say that I've learned more valuable things through those internships than I have learned in school.

And like Darkdrone said, all the educational sh*t you learn in college can be learned better online. We live in the Information Age. So that part of college is no longer as "important'.

Many colleges are just getting into the internship department as in like it's just now recently being heavily stressed. That job experience/internship experience is invaluable and the most important skill to have.

The academics you learn in college always takes the background compared to in job experience and it's just a supplement imo.

Get them internships people!
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #83
BlackRepub85 8 heat pts space
avatar space
Libertarian Ideals
space
$5,214 | POWERFUL
Like most people said, it depends on your degree. If you settled for an a.ssociates degree in Sociology then no it's not worth it. You're basically wasting your money.

But if you have a bachelor's in biz admin, you can make some nice money. Or even an a.ssoicates in computer technology (and have your certs) you can make good money too.

And some people college is not for them. If my son is a mechanic and likes it, I'm not pushing him toward college, I'm pushing him toward trade school to get his skills up and to get him working on contacts.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - away - #84
Soda Pop 5 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$7,010 | POWERFUL
It's been worth it to me but I ain't paying sh*t got grants and scholarships.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #85
sm00vb0iiw0nder 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$22,182 | POWERFUL
Soda Pop said:
It's been worth it to me but I ain't paying sh*t got grants and scholarships.
same here
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #86
egotistical 1 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,853 | POWERFUL
NateRight said:
People are downplaying the use of college wayyyyy to much. Dont even feel like getting into with anyone, cuz it'd take too long to tackle all their misshapen views on college
This. People make it to be out to be the worst thing ever like they didn't learn sh*t.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #87
egotistical 1 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,853 | POWERFUL
eightytyson06 said:
40k+ in school loans smh forget college

these next ten years gonna be rough my plans though is to get some entry level position and pray it allows me to move up. when i pay these loans off i should be good

and like a lot of people said it depends on your major and if you networked while in college. i believe college isnt designed to get you that good american dream job, its there to help you learn and prepare yourself for the real world.
Prepare for the real world.

Look like you didn't play the game right. Why didn't you network or get a internship during college?
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #88
egotistical 1 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,853 | POWERFUL
sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
College's worth depends on your major and the field you plan on entering after graduation.

But the best benefits of college are not the education but the interactions with people. Networking. I was fortunate enough to go to an internship based high school so internships are nothing new to me. I can honestly say that I've learned more valuable things through those internships than I have learned in school.

And like Darkdrone said, all the educational sh*t you learn in college can be learned better online. We live in the Information Age. So that part of college is no longer as "important'.

Many colleges are just getting into the internship department as in like it's just now recently being heavily stressed. That job experience/internship experience is invaluable and the most important skill to have.

The academics you learn in college always takes the background compared to in job experience and it's just a supplement imo.

Get them internships people!
This basically explains everything I have been preaching. I heard a lot of school starting are trying harder to give students the opportunity to do a internship. Like I said before college is all about how you play it. Plan and educate yourself before you enter college. I was always 10 step ahead from day one in college working on my networking and securing an internship while making sure my debt was low. I would recommend anybody doing it do that. My friend even got an internship his last semester for like 6 months and it helped me get a job. If you need to get a last min internship to help you with the rest of your life try working somewhere for free.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #89
eightytyson06 38 heat pts38 space
avatar space
Rec League Legend
space
$12,474 | POWERFUL
egotistical said:
Prepare for the real world.

Look like you didn't play the game right. Why didn't you network or get a internship during college?
Guess I left that part out buy I did I just wanna get in a business to get my feet set and do 2 years then work with people I networked with they already getting paid so I'm good just pray they don't get fired
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '06 - on now - #90
niceguy954 31 heat pts31 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$5,263 | POWERFUL
where was everyone on this page when I was trying to explain to two young bucks this message about college for the last two pages
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #91
THaXcEpTiOnAL1 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Smooth Criminal
space
$6,483 | 18619232
Darkdrone said:
Good job you say? I know a people working in IBM and high tech firms with nothing more than english degrees and sociology degrees. These people maximized their contacts, learned about the upcoming technology and marketed their skill for the position.

What you need to understand is the degree is not that important to high aspect, it is what you can bring to the table, if you have the experience and are you the right fit.

My cousin's best friend is an extremely well paid lawyer and he got a degree in computer science and many people thought he didn't have what it takes to do well in the field.

What these counsellors fail to tell you is you can a good career without having a degree within the field. Ever heard of that stat that 70+% of university students get job not related in their degree? You think every person in Google is a computer engineer or computer scientist? If the company sees you are a valuable they will scoop you up.
finance is a very useful major. a lot of what you learn in finance pertains to corporate america and learning how to a.ssess the market is very important for future growth. u laughing at my degree is like me laughing at someone with a bio degree or engineering agree or w/e. they all may be useless to you.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #92
Drone 40 heat pts40 space
avatar space
Its been fun.
space
$17,093 | POWERFUL
THaXcEpTiOnAL1 said:
finance is a very useful major. a lot of what you learn in finance pertains to corporate america and learning how to a.ssess the market is very important for future growth. u laughing at my degree is like me laughing at someone with a bio degree or engineering agree or w/e. they all may be useless to you.
A person who finished a degree in finance is laughing at a engineering degree?

Good luck trying to get a job with an oversaturated degree.

Last edited by Drone; 12-11-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - on now - #93
NateRight 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Bleed Teal
space
$3,754 | 12235788
sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
College's worth depends on your major and the field you plan on entering after graduation.

But the best benefits of college are not the education but the interactions with people. Networking. I was fortunate enough to go to an internship based high school so internships are nothing new to me. I can honestly say that I've learned more valuable things through those internships than I have learned in school.

And like Darkdrone said, all the educational sh*t you learn in college can be learned better online. We live in the Information Age. So that part of college is no longer as "important'.

Many colleges are just getting into the internship department as in like it's just now recently being heavily stressed. That job experience/internship experience is invaluable and the most important skill to have.

The academics you learn in college always takes the background compared to in job experience and it's just a supplement imo.

Get them internships people!
this statement is used a little too liberally. Sure you can use the internet to learn about some topic, maybe even a big subject. But let's see how well you can use online to teach yourself calculus, chemistry, physics and the like. I'd like to see someone who's gotten a good grasp on those subjects solely through the use of online materials. Not only that, but college students who are taking those courses are learning those subjects face to face with an experienced and smart instructor. Then add on the fact that they probably have 3-4 hours a week of instruction plus another 3-4 hours per week of hw and studying. Let's see you put in 6-8 hours a week with purely online materials, then do that with 3 other subjects. A college degree shows a lot more than knowledge to employers, it shows an aptitude of work ethic and ability to do well with tough subjects
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - on now - #94
NateRight 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Bleed Teal
space
$3,754 | 12235788
Darkdrone said:
A person who finished a degree in finance is laughing at a engineering degree?

Good luck trying to get a job with an oversaturated degree.





that's also why what school you go to plays a big role as well as major. But a finance degree is a good major, you can't deny that
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #95
Drone 40 heat pts40 space
avatar space
Its been fun.
space
$17,093 | POWERFUL
NateRight said:





that's also why what school you go to plays a big role as well as major. But a finance degree is a good major, you can't deny that
I never said it was a bad degree I think it is a great degree but there is too many people doing finance degrees for the market. It is oversaturated right now and only the best people will be hand picked leaving very few winners and a whole lot of losers. Compared to other degrees where you come from a decent school and have a good degree you will be set.

Reminds me of law of school and how we have too many lawyers.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #96
sm00vb0iiw0nder 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$22,182 | POWERFUL
NateRight said:
this statement is used a little too liberally. Sure you can use the internet to learn about some topic, maybe even a big subject. But let's see how well you can use online to teach yourself calculus, chemistry, physics and the like. I'd like to see someone who's gotten a good grasp on those subjects solely through the use of online materials. Not only that, but college students who are taking those courses are learning those subjects face to face with an experienced and smart instructor. Then add on the fact that they probably have 3-4 hours a week of instruction plus another 3-4 hours per week of hw and studying. Let's see you put in 6-8 hours a week with purely online materials, then do that with 3 other subjects. A college degree shows a lot more than knowledge to employers, it shows an aptitude of work ethic and ability to do well with tough subjects
Online teachers, video demonstarations are just the same as having a professor honestly. Sure the professor can actually talk to you and sh*t but with purely technical subjects like calculus and chemistry, it's not necessary.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - on now - #97
NateRight 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Bleed Teal
space
$3,754 | 12235788
sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
Online teachers, video demonstarations are just the same as having a professor honestly. Sure the professor can actually talk to you and sh*t but with purely technical subjects like calculus and chemistry, it's not necessary.
you're gonna equate 6-8 hours of studying 1 subject every week for 3 1/2 months by using online material? I'd like to see someone do that. Most people who "learn" online don't study it nearly as long. So they don't get the experience using the stuff they learn as well as not learning as quickly or covers as many aspects of the subject
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #98
sm00vb0iiw0nder 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$22,182 | POWERFUL
NateRight said:
you're gonna equate 6-8 hours of studying 1 subject every week for 3 1/2 months by using online material? I'd like to see someone do that. Most people who "learn" online don't study it nearly as long. So they don't get the experience using the stuff they learn as well as not learning as quickly or covers as many aspects of the subject
The only flaw is, like you stated, that people don't have the patience for online learning. The point I'm getting at is that the Internet is a very effective learning tool.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #99
egotistical 1 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,853 | POWERFUL
NateRight said:





that's also why what school you go to plays a big role as well as major. But a finance degree is a good major, you can't deny that
I really hate referring to articles when it comes to job numbers and graduating salaries. Most of the time those sh*ts are extremely bogus. Like you really thinking you going to make 38k out of college with an Art History degree. Construction 53k starting I can't...

Last thing I am posting in this thread like I said it all comes down to three things: internships, budgeting, networking. Is college the best thing since slice bread no. Can you learn some good things, YES. Can you major in anything depends, do you have connections or experience already. Also, I want to say one last thing some of you muthafu*kers come in this thread and act like it's just the easiest thing to start a business and be success. The chances of being successful with a business is extremely small.
Reply With Quote
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - on now - #100
NateRight 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Bleed Teal
space
$3,754 | 12235788
sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
The only flaw is, like you stated, that people don't have the patience for online learning. The point I'm getting at is that the Internet is a very effective learning tool.
ok, yeah that's true. As of now it's underrated and therefore heavily underdeveloped. Probably one day, and I'd love to see it, but I don't think that day is anytime soon. So college it is
Reply With Quote
 
Home > all sections > The Money Spot
  
    
          join bx

 


that hot ish yesterday


most viewed right now
43 viewing
Image inside HBCU Confessions Twitter Page :DeadThots:
147 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
36 viewing
Video inside 18-Year-Old Victim Kicked By Rapper Kevin Gates Shares Frightening Orde..
220 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
32 viewing
Video inside Ex-Couple sit down for an honest face-to-face talk 2 years after their ..
84 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
22 viewing
Article inside Oscar Isaac Says Portraying X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Villain Is "Basically P..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
22 viewing
Image inside Returning In 2016
57 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Image inside 30 Most Anticipated Films of the 2015-2016 Oscar Season, Is It Finally..
39 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
14 viewing
Aug 31 - Rise of the bizarre 'cannabis vomiting syndrome
77 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside 50 Says Ross' Belaire Rose Is Law Enforecment Approved
46 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |   BX 1998-end of time