b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide.

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

join bx

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide.
 12-06-2012, 06:42 PMaway - #41
- JaEdEe24 - 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$2,377 | POWERFUL

12-06-2012, 11:33 PMaway - #42
Superboy504 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,406 | 7300459
I honestly cant give you a straight answer man. I got my bachelors degree in 09 and now I'm working towards my masters right now. So far I cant find a job for ####... at least one that REQUIRES a college degree. Everything out there you can get w/o a degree or you can work you way up in the company now days man. WTF am I paying all this money for school if a average joe in the company can get a job at the company and work his way up in a few short years?
 12-09-2012, 02:53 AMaway - #43
Niruggg 137 heat pts137

d 
space
$12,142 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by J Rob
seems like most of the people who #### about college picked dumb a$s degrees

i'm not against college but it isn't for everyone. i honestly think it was slowing my progress so i left. that was a good decision for me, can't speak for others. it also depends on what you do with your degree, for example dude above lost a job where he was making $14 an hour...i make that and more in meal penalties every half hour and i have a GED and 1 year of college...think i made the right choice for me...

also just because someone graduated doesn't mean they're educated
 12-09-2012, 07:04 AMaway - #44
SpittN4Cash 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$8,958 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheCityOnMyMind
I want to get an IT degree or computer science. would that be useless?
serious question.
Honestly,

No matter what degree you get, the current economy isn't producing enough jobs to keep up with the number of graduates each year... I predict things wont pick up for another 4 years.

With that said, a bachelors in IT was the best investment I ever made, real talk.

I hear people talking about how "over rated" college is and Im like

Originally Posted by J Rob

seems like most of the people who #### about college picked dumb a$s degrees
+1 Props.
 12-09-2012, 07:08 AMaway - #45
eightytyson06 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$11,160 | POWERFUL
i dont think its overrated i did management but besides that i got friends who all landed in top 100 companies so im staying close to them so when i get myself together they can get me a job. but in meantime imma get some more experience in the corp world and work off this 40k+ loan debt
 12-09-2012, 07:32 AMonline - #46
I.J. 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,390 | 14594618
Computer Science Degree>>>>

I just graduated got all kind of interviews right out of college. Companies were flying me out and every thing. I worked for the IT department at my school while i was in school

The main mistake college graduates make is they dont have any job related experience when they graduate so the graduates that do get the jobs.

Having an internships or jobs related to you major in college

Last edited by I.J.; 12-09-2012 at 07:36 AM..
 12-09-2012, 08:44 AMaway - #47
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$5,075 | POWERFUL
went to school and came out making six figures...so yes it was worth that cost. Pick the right major
 12-09-2012, 09:44 AMonline - #48
Dareupgang 

d 
space
$500 | 2355239
I'll start of by saying I do think college is worth it, not all from an educational point of view, but as a combination of the social growth you experience and the education you're suppose to absorb. I think the better question is are private institutions worth vastly cost they charge now? That i don't think so I go to public school and maybe its because my major its actually harder than some of the best private schools. I'm a mechanical engineering major at City College of New York and I have professors that teach between NYU Poly, and Cooper Union as well as CCNY and they talk about kids that would never stand for some of fail rates of some of our classes. I think they make some of our classes so hard its designed to force people to take them over, so they recoup the cost of charging lower tuition. I think part of it has to start with high school, where they set up environment to help kids decide major better because its surprising how many kids enter undecided and as time ticks they end up choosing an easier major because they don't want to spend too much more time in school. Like some people said though I think its also what you make it of it, if you pick right major and minor combination or minors, you can be very marketable
 12-09-2012, 11:10 AMaway - #49
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by whouthinkitis
While I was looking at the video I understand why some of them are working at bars and #### look at the majors they chose while they were in college. Personally a lot of majors in college are not even worth it and even if you do go to college whether it's university or community college better make sure you got grants & scholarships b/c the #### is not cheap. I graduate next Spring and once I finish up I'm thinking about calling it wraps unless I can apply for some scholarships but I'm not getting ready to put myself in debt with loans and then up owing the government for the next 10+ years w/interest. Next thing you know you end up working at a minimum wage job trying to pay off student loans...FOH!!!
I fear this so much. I'm 22 and thinking about jumping in college late for a trade skill or degree but collecting those big student loan checks early on scares the #### out of me. I really don't want to be 24 with a nursing degree (which I would likely aim for) and have 10k+ in student loans dwelling on me whether I finish or not. Granted, if I'm gonna make a decision I need to do it while I'm fairly young.

Did most of you have this same fear and just say "#### it, I'm gonna have a nice career job afterwards anyways that will pay it off, and if I don't that's a chance i'll take "? Because I'm starting to lean towards the idea of accepting the debt and making a career choice and going to college.
 12-09-2012, 08:48 PMaway - #50
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,754 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Superboy504
I honestly cant give you a straight answer man. I got my bachelors degree in 09 and now I'm working towards my masters right now. So far I cant find a job for ####... at least one that REQUIRES a college degree. Everything out there you can get w/o a degree or you can work you way up in the company now days man. WTF am I paying all this money for school if a average joe in the company can get a job at the company and work his way up in a few short years?
What did you get your degree in and did you do a internship?
 12-09-2012, 09:06 PMaway - #51
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,754 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SpittN4Cash
Honestly,

No matter what degree you get, the current economy isn't producing enough jobs to keep up with the number of graduates each year... I predict things wont pick up for another 4 years.

With that said, a bachelors in IT was the best investment I ever made, real talk.

I hear people talking about how "over rated" college is and Im like

+1 Props.
It's all about these mutha####ers not being prepare or not using your resources. College is too expensive. Did you go to community college first? Did you try to get all the grants you can? Did you work and pay down some of your debt in college? You can find a job? Did you pick a good major? If not did you do a internship? Did you have a network of friends or people to hire you after college? Also, after that people think they can just graduate and apply to 4 jobs and get a job. When I graduated I apply for like 10-15 jobs a day.
 12-09-2012, 09:09 PMaway - #52
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,754 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by niceguy954
went to school and came out making six figures...so yes it was worth that cost. Pick the right major
What do you do?
 12-09-2012, 09:22 PMaway - #53
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,754 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
I fear this so much. I'm 22 and thinking about jumping in college late for a trade skill or degree but collecting those big student loan checks early on scares the #### out of me. I really don't want to be 24 with a nursing degree (which I would likely aim for) and have 10k+ in student loans dwelling on me whether I finish or not. Granted, if I'm gonna make a decision I need to do it while I'm fairly young.

Did most of you have this same fear and just say "#### it, I'm gonna have a nice career job afterwards anyways that will pay it off, and if I don't that's a chance i'll take "? Because I'm starting to lean towards the idea of accepting the debt and making a career choice and going to college.
It's all about planning and educating yourself before you do it. See where you will be out when you end as far as debt. Look for resources to cut that amount down. For example, going to community college first 2-3 years then university after. Looking for grants I actually got like 4 grants in college that I just simply apply online for filling out an application. Also, try to work at least part time something relate to your major and use some of the money to go towards your debt. See if you can take classes are other colleges for a cheaper price and transfer them. I will say college from a education standpoint isn't ####, but you learn a lot of small things that can relate to the real world. It's all about what you take from it, and lastly just being smart and planning for a career/future.
 12-10-2012, 12:43 AMaway - #54
Real Hustler 

d 
space
$441 | 1236539
a junior in college. Already got an internship and other working experience in the field. It is definitely going to be worth it when I finish.
 12-10-2012, 06:37 AMaway - #55
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$5,075 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by egotistical
What do you do?
pharmacy..but I know plently of friends who majored in engineering, MBA, IT, and nursing who make good money also
 12-10-2012, 06:40 AMaway - #56
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$5,075 | POWERFUL
It's all about planning and educating yourself before you do it. See where you will be out when you end as far as debt. Look for resources to cut that amount down. For example, going to community college first 2-3 years then university after. Looking for grants I actually got like 4 grants in college that I just simply apply online for filling out an application. Also, try to work at least part time something relate to your major and use some of the money to go towards your debt. See if you can take classes are other colleges for a cheaper price and transfer them. I will say college from a education standpoint isn't ####, but you learn a lot of small things that can relate to the real world. It's all about what you take from it, and lastly just being smart and planning for a career/future.

worked 20-30 hrs a week
got scholarships (even those random essay one I got $500)
Even tried to apply for food stamps but didnt get it
Didnt buy a school book unless the teacher actually use is most of the time

you got to do what you got to do in college..no shame..because when your done then you can start ballin
 12-10-2012, 07:17 AMaway - #57
Southwick 

d 
space
$1,873 | 14952693
College is pointless for the most part. People need to stop trying to keep up with the Jones's and prioritize better.
 12-10-2012, 03:41 PMaway - #58
NateRight 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,493 | 11612656
Originally Posted by - JaEdEe24 -
terrible video. his examples of rich people are the same everyone uses. The extremely small percentage of people who made it without education, completely overlooking the far greater amount of people who are just as rich/richer who went to college. mark zuckerburg and bill gates got into harvard, can you really call them uneducated? really? and he said coup de GRACE

the fact is that your college major does matter, and the college you graduate from also matters. They make a big difference. But at the same time, you gotta understand that those aren't the only factors that'll get you a job. So if you're lacking in one area, beef up another to help your chances
 12-10-2012, 05:22 PMaway - #59
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,213 | POWERFUL
I learned a lot of social skills and leaderships skills in college. Also, how to work with different groups of peoples "lazy" "dominate people". Even little things like going a long with the popular decision even if its not the greatest idea. I remember having a group project, my idea greatest thing since slice bread. I had failed like 2 test and I needed a A on this project to get up to a C. I had to work overtime to persuade everyone to go with my idea. Ended up with an A and a B in the class . I think college is not worth it money wise, but you can pull a lot out of it. I learned to bite my tongue I had one group were everyone was stupid as ####, ended up with a horrible all around project. I planned what I need to do to get an A ahead of time knowing I was going to fail that project. I had to work my a$s off 3x to get all other good grades.

I learned a lot about my strength and weakness and how to work with somebody else and pull their strengths out to balance your weakness, or how to match everyone up for a project.

It comes down to its all about what you take from it.
No offense but I learned all of this by going outside and interacting with different people when I was a kid... You don't need school for any of this ####
 12-10-2012, 05:29 PMaway - #60
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,213 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dareupgang
I'll start of by saying I do think college is worth it, not all from an educational point of view, but as a combination of the social growth you experience and the education you're suppose to absorb. I think the better question is are private institutions worth vastly cost they charge now? That i don't think so I go to public school and maybe its because my major its actually harder than some of the best private schools. I'm a mechanical engineering major at City College of New York and I have professors that teach between NYU Poly, and Cooper Union as well as CCNY and they talk about kids that would never stand for some of fail rates of some of our classes. I think they make some of our classes so hard its designed to force people to take them over, so they recoup the cost of charging lower tuition. I think part of it has to start with high school, where they set up environment to help kids decide major better because its surprising how many kids enter undecided and as time ticks they end up choosing an easier major because they don't want to spend too much more time in school. Like some people said though I think its also what you make it of it, if you pick right major and minor combination or minors, you can be very marketable
Nonsense; I went to a private school also.. regardless #### is a waste of money and the only reason to go to school is to play the game.. it's that simple...

Dec 17 - Breaking News: US & Cuba To Resume Diplomatic Relations
77 comments
Article inside  Breaking News: ‘The Interview’ Yanked By Regal, AMC ..
79 comments
NFL Deion Sanders ex wife Pilar Sanders sentenced to a week ..
50 comments
 Image(s) inside Bobby Shmurda Arrested In New York;caught W/ Multiple ...
New reply 33 seconds ago - 314 comments - by Carlton Black
 Video inside Kendrick Lamar Debuts New Song On The Colbert Report (...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 73 comments - by Steve
  J. Cole's Album Was Streamed 15.7 Million Times In It'...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 125 comments - by King Henry
  Nicki Minaj Mad In Her New Interview (crwn), Sends Sho...
New reply 22 minutes ago - 117 comments - by mdemaz
  Kendrick Performing New Music Tonight On The Colbert R...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 156 comments - by mdemaz
 Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Report: Darren Wilson's Key Witness Lied Abou...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 87 comments - by Frasier
 Video inside Leaked: Kim Jong-un's Death Scene From The Interview T...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 66 comments - by batmanwithprep
 Image(s) inside Yo Ludacris Is On That Kevin Hart Stature !?!?
New reply 26 minutes ago - 51 comments - by strungout

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,899 fans of BX | none new today 4,847 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.