Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now popular now #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

CPA Exam

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
150 viewing
 Image inside Joe Budden Joke Backfires On Twitter  
20 comments
most viewed right now
147 viewing
 NBA LeBron No Headband needed  
20 comments

top in section
62 viewing
Image inside RIP Donatello 1984-2015
top in wild'ish
top in section
19 viewing
 Video inside JUSTIN BIEBER BARES HIS SOUL ... to a Total Stranger
top in hiphop

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 CPA Exam
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:15 AMJoined May 2007 - away - #41
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts space
avatar space
WUTS REALLY GOOD NUCKA!!!
space
$9,468 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Manny05
Honestly. We should make a thread and post everything we can on how to prepare for the CPA exam
What do you guys think ?
This is a good idea
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:43 PMJoined Apr 2006 - away - #42
Manny05  space
avatar space
PSN - TheOpportunist08
space
$17,251 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug


Thats a good forum. Got a lot of info off of.
Thanks for the site bro. I'll bookmark it and look into it later on.

By the way
I'm still an undergrad and taking accounting classes
Do you guys have any tips ? Maybe pay attention or remember certain classes ? Maybe take a specific class that will help me with the CPA right before I graduate ?
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:40 AMJoined Sep 2004 - away - #43
ShadyKidd  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$378 | 871098
Originally Posted by Manny05
Thanks for the site bro. I'll bookmark it and look into it later on.

By the way
I'm still an undergrad and taking accounting classes
Do you guys have any tips ? Maybe pay attention or remember certain classes ? Maybe take a specific class that will help me with the CPA right before I graduate ?
Pretty much every accounting course you take will have some applicability to the exam. Audit, tax, financial reporting, cost/managerial, etc are all part of the exam. I would recommend taking good notes, especially on complicated areas. I referred back to my college notes several times when studying for the exam.

I woul also recommend aligning the last courses you take before graduation with your first part of the exam. For example, say you take an auditing course during your last semester - I would take AUD as the first test. You could also look into taking the exam before you graduate, as I think there are some provisions to start taking the exam during you last semester.

Finally, the advice I give every accounting undergrad is to try to take some IT or MIS courses before you graduate. Especially if you get a job in audit for a public accounting firm, IT is such a big part of financial statement audits it will definitely benefit you.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:05 AMJoined Aug 2009 - on now - #44
mtva24 147 heat pts147 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,368 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug
Good to know. I had a hard a.ss auditing teacher in college that made us do practice sims and took a lot of question out of the gleim test banks. I feel pretty good about the auditing section.
That's what's up...Gleim>>>>Wiley
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:39 PMJoined Dec 2004 - away - #45
hockeythug 59 heat pts59 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$18,027 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Manny05
Thanks for the site bro. I'll bookmark it and look into it later on.

By the way
I'm still an undergrad and taking accounting classes
Do you guys have any tips ? Maybe pay attention or remember certain classes ? Maybe take a specific class that will help me with the CPA right before I graduate ?
save your accounting books. Don't sell them. Big help going back to remember how to do specific things.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:44 PMJoined Apr 2006 - away - #46
Manny05  space
avatar space
PSN - TheOpportunist08
space
$17,251 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug
save your accounting books. Don't sell them. Big help going back to remember how to do specific things.
That's the thing. I never bought any because I've has great teachers that explain everything in detailed. So I saved myself 400 bucks. And got an A on both class.
So far I've taken two accounting courses. Financial and managerial.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:44 PMJoined Apr 2006 - away - #47
Manny05  space
avatar space
PSN - TheOpportunist08
space
$17,251 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
Pretty much every accounting course you take will have some applicability to the exam. Audit, tax, financial reporting, cost/managerial, etc are all part of the exam. I would recommend taking good notes, especially on complicated areas. I referred back to my college notes several times when studying for the exam.

I woul also recommend aligning the last courses you take before graduation with your first part of the exam. For example, say you take an auditing course during your last semester - I would take AUD as the first test. You could also look into taking the exam before you graduate, as I think there are some provisions to start taking the exam during you last semester.

Finally, the advice I give every accounting undergrad is to try to take some IT or MIS courses before you graduate. Especially if you get a job in audit for a public accounting firm, IT is such a big part of financial statement audits it will definitely benefit you.
My school doesnt offer mis. So I decided to double major on accounting and cis.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:03 PMJoined Aug 2009 - on now - #48
mtva24 147 heat pts147 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,368 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Manny05
That's the thing. I never bought any because I've has great teachers that explain everything in detailed. So I saved myself 400 bucks. And got an A on both class.
So far I've taken two accounting courses. Financial and managerial.
Well your in for a rude awakening once you hit intermediate and all of the other upper level courses
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:48 AMJoined May 2007 - away - #49
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts space
avatar space
WUTS REALLY GOOD NUCKA!!!
space
$9,468 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
well your in for a rude awakening once you hit intermediate and all of the other upper level courses
this^^^^
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:00 PMJoined Apr 2006 - away - #50
Manny05  space
avatar space
PSN - TheOpportunist08
space
$17,251 | POWERFUL
I'm still going to have my notes though and that got me through the class. So will see
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:19 PMJoined Mar 2007 - away - #51
TheIncomparable  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,596 | 7077322
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
Eh man let us know what you think of CPA Excel... I just signed up for my Becker courses a few days ago, waiting on all the study material...
It seems pretty good so far. I haven't sat for any sections yet but the small lessons and videos seem pretty helpful... I'll post in this thread once I sit for a section to see how I actually do
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:07 PMJoined May 2007 - away - #52
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts space
avatar space
WUTS REALLY GOOD NUCKA!!!
space
$9,468 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
It seems pretty good so far. I haven't sat for any sections yet but the small lessons and videos seem pretty helpful... I'll post in this thread once I sit for a section to see how I actually do


Thats a good idea.. I think I will too.. im not sittin until next year though
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 03:40 PMJoined Mar 2007 - away - #53
TheIncomparable  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,596 | 7077322
I promised to post after my first exam but I forgot. I took AUD in August and passed with an 84. I'm taking REG on Dec 6 (Sandy extended my testing window) and will post once I get scores for that. I plan on (but probably won't cause its December and I never get sh*t done in December) taking BEC in early January.
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:42 PMJoined Dec 2004 - away - #54
hockeythug 59 heat pts59 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$18,027 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
I promised to post after my first exam but I forgot. I took AUD in August and passed with an 84. I'm taking REG on Dec 6 (Sandy extended my testing window) and will post once I get scores for that. I plan on (but probably won't cause its December and I never get sh*t done in December) taking BEC in early January.
congrats man. How were the simulations for AUD?
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:19 AMJoined Mar 2007 - away - #55
TheIncomparable  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,596 | 7077322
Simulations weren't too bad. I feel like the research sim was a freebie. I had another sim on bad debt expense, which completely caught me off guard because I didn't study reversing entries at all. I got extremely lucky though cause I was actually doing testwork on bad debt expense a couple weeks prior to the exam. Another sim was on opinions, and I cant remember what the final sim was on.
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:23 PMJoined Aug 2009 - away - #56
Toss  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$4,383 | 5548642
[quote=Manny05;23488712]I'm still going to have my notes though and that got me through the class. So will see [/QUOTE
It really depends on your teacher i sold my book and bought that sh*t right back because my new professor was require me re-read some chapters but it all depends on you
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:00 AMJoined Aug 2009 - on now - #57
mtva24 147 heat pts147 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,368 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
I promised to post after my first exam but I forgot. I took AUD in August and passed with an 84. I'm taking REG on Dec 6 (Sandy extended my testing window) and will post once I get scores for that. I plan on (but probably won't cause its December and I never get sh*t done in December) taking BEC in early January.
Good to hear man....Im taking Aud this Wednesday. I missed my exam 3rd window like a dumbass ...pretty much gave NASBA a $200 donatioon
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:28 AMJoined Jan 2004 - away - #58
TheAnswer1313  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$1,037 | 1710640
A couple of things that helped me

1) Take FAR first. It's the most material and hardest test. Of course everyone has opinions on this, but the first test you have unlimited time to study for. Why would you not want to have that for the test with the most material? And once you pass that one, studying for the others doesn't seem as bad.

2) I had CPA Excel as my study material. It was excellent IMO. But I also went to CPA Review for free and other websites.

3) Do as many multiple choice questions as you can. This is the biggest thing.

4) Alot of times people do the MC questions and just move on. More important than just doing the questions......understand WHY the correct answer is right and the others are wrong. Alot of times I noticed they won't ask the same question on the actual test, but will ask similar questions just in different ways. If you understand the concepts, you'll get the questions right.

5) Lastly give yourself enough time to study. This is a difficult test, but as long as you put the hours in, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:47 AMJoined Aug 2009 - on now - #59
mtva24 147 heat pts147 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,368 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheAnswer1313
A couple of things that helped me

1) Take FAR first. It's the most material and hardest test. Of course everyone has opinions on this, but the first test you have unlimited time to study for. Why would you not want to have that for the test with the most material? And once you pass that one, studying for the others doesn't seem as bad.

2) I had CPA Excel as my study material. It was excellent IMO. But I also went to CPA Review for free and other websites.

3) Do as many multiple choice questions as you can. This is the biggest thing.

4) Alot of times people do the MC questions and just move on. More important than just doing the questions......understand WHY the correct answer is right and the others are wrong. Alot of times I noticed they won't ask the same question on the actual test, but will ask similar questions just in different ways. If you understand the concepts, you'll get the questions right.

5) Lastly give yourself enough time to study. This is a difficult test, but as long as you put the hours in, you'll be fine.
Lol im the complete opposite, i feel Auditing is the toughest...I felt all of my other accounting courses were pretty similar, but Aud was just a different beast (mostly concepts, less math). Plus at work, I use many of FAR concepts with my staff accountant job. To each his own though...

I have been using wiley, gleim, ninja notes, and roger cpa for AUD...been studying for this bi*ch since June 11, and I'm just now getting comfortable with most of the concepts...sh*t is just french to me.
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:55 AMJoined Jan 2004 - away - #60
TheAnswer1313  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$1,037 | 1710640
Originally Posted by mtva24
Lol im the complete opposite, i feel Auditing is the toughest...I felt all of my other accounting courses were pretty similar, but Aud was just a different beast (mostly concepts, less math). Plus at work, I use many of FAR concepts with my staff accountant job. To each his own though...

I have been using wiley, gleim, ninja notes, and roger cpa for AUD...been studying for this bi*ch since June 11, and I'm just now getting comfortable with most of the concepts...sh*t is just french to me.
I also think what kind of work you do plays into it. I'm an audit manager so I found that to be easy since I've done work in it for the past 7 years.
Reply With Quote
 

Home > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)
  
    
          join bx


 




that hot ish yesterday


most viewed right now
31 viewing
Image inside NEW: Amber Rose PhotoShoot In Maui 😛Ԁ..
165 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
31 viewing
Image inside So THIS ACTOR is british too?????!!!!!
45 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
25 viewing
Video inside Mar 25 - Taco Bell's New Ad Portrays McDonald's As ..
59 comments
@news
most viewed right now
21 viewing
Video inside God is good  
72 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
20 viewing
Video inside The Illegal Big Cats of Instagram  
62 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
20 viewing
Video inside Mar 25 - 6 Cops caught on tape brutally beating una..
64 comments
@news
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Image inside Michelle Obama’s apparently bald look on TV show h..
31 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside PS4 System Software Update 2.50 Arrives Tomorrow
41 comments
@games
most viewed right now
7 viewing
Image inside Jim Jones Addresses IG Haters About Owning Fake Ra..
73 comments
@gear

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time.