CPA Exam

CPA Exam
 05-18-2012, 09:15 AMaway - #41
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Manny05
Honestly. We should make a thread and post everything we can on how to prepare for the CPA exam
What do you guys think ?
This is a good idea
 05-18-2012, 10:43 PMaway - #42
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,066 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug

Thats a good forum. Got a lot of info off of.
Thanks for the site bro. I'll bookmark it and look into it later on.

By the way
I'm still an undergrad and taking accounting classes
Do you guys have any tips ? Maybe pay attention or remember certain classes ? Maybe take a specific class that will help me with the CPA right before I graduate ?
 05-19-2012, 04:40 AMaway - #43
ShadyKidd 

d 
space
$378 | 871098

By the way
Do you guys have any tips ? Maybe pay attention or remember certain classes ? Maybe take a specific class that will help me with the CPA right before I graduate ?
Pretty much every accounting course you take will have some applicability to the exam. Audit, tax, financial reporting, cost/managerial, etc are all part of the exam. I would recommend taking good notes, especially on complicated areas. I referred back to my college notes several times when studying for the exam.

I woul also recommend aligning the last courses you take before graduation with your first part of the exam. For example, say you take an auditing course during your last semester - I would take AUD as the first test. You could also look into taking the exam before you graduate, as I think there are some provisions to start taking the exam during you last semester.

Finally, the advice I give every accounting undergrad is to try to take some IT or MIS courses before you graduate. Especially if you get a job in audit for a public accounting firm, IT is such a big part of financial statement audits it will definitely benefit you.
 05-19-2012, 11:05 AMonline - #44
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,352 | POWERFUL
Good to know. I had a hard a$s auditing teacher in college that made us do practice sims and took a lot of question out of the gleim test banks. I feel pretty good about the auditing section.
That's what's up...Gleim>>>>Wiley
 05-19-2012, 03:39 PMaway - #45
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,466 | POWERFUL

By the way
save your accounting books. Don't sell them. Big help going back to remember how to do specific things.
 05-21-2012, 06:44 PMaway - #46
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,066 | POWERFUL
save your accounting books. Don't sell them. Big help going back to remember how to do specific things.
That's the thing. I never bought any because I've has great teachers that explain everything in detailed. So I saved myself 400 bucks. And got an A on both class.
So far I've taken two accounting courses. Financial and managerial.
 05-21-2012, 06:44 PMaway - #47
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,066 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
Pretty much every accounting course you take will have some applicability to the exam. Audit, tax, financial reporting, cost/managerial, etc are all part of the exam. I would recommend taking good notes, especially on complicated areas. I referred back to my college notes several times when studying for the exam.

I woul also recommend aligning the last courses you take before graduation with your first part of the exam. For example, say you take an auditing course during your last semester - I would take AUD as the first test. You could also look into taking the exam before you graduate, as I think there are some provisions to start taking the exam during you last semester.

Finally, the advice I give every accounting undergrad is to try to take some IT or MIS courses before you graduate. Especially if you get a job in audit for a public accounting firm, IT is such a big part of financial statement audits it will definitely benefit you.
My school doesnt offer mis. So I decided to double major on accounting and cis.
 05-21-2012, 09:03 PMonline - #48
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,352 | POWERFUL
That's the thing. I never bought any because I've has great teachers that explain everything in detailed. So I saved myself 400 bucks. And got an A on both class.
So far I've taken two accounting courses. Financial and managerial.
Well your in for a rude awakening once you hit intermediate and all of the other upper level courses
 05-22-2012, 12:48 AMaway - #49
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
well your in for a rude awakening once you hit intermediate and all of the other upper level courses
this^^^^
 06-04-2012, 11:00 PMaway - #50
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,066 | POWERFUL
I'm still going to have my notes though and that got me through the class. So will see
 06-05-2012, 12:19 PMaway - #51
TheIncomparable 

d 
space
$2,596 | 6972269
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
Eh man let us know what you think of CPA Excel... I just signed up for my Becker courses a few days ago, waiting on all the study material...
It seems pretty good so far. I haven't sat for any sections yet but the small lessons and videos seem pretty helpful... I'll post in this thread once I sit for a section to see how I actually do
 06-05-2012, 08:07 PMaway - #52
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
It seems pretty good so far. I haven't sat for any sections yet but the small lessons and videos seem pretty helpful... I'll post in this thread once I sit for a section to see how I actually do

Thats a good idea.. I think I will too.. im not sittin until next year though
 11-17-2012, 03:40 PMaway - #53
TheIncomparable 

d 
space
$2,596 | 6972269
I promised to post after my first exam but I forgot. I took AUD in August and passed with an 84. I'm taking REG on Dec 6 (Sandy extended my testing window) and will post once I get scores for that. I plan on (but probably won't cause its December and I never get #### done in December) taking BEC in early January.
 11-17-2012, 04:42 PMaway - #54
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,466 | POWERFUL
I promised to post after my first exam but I forgot. I took AUD in August and passed with an 84. I'm taking REG on Dec 6 (Sandy extended my testing window) and will post once I get scores for that. I plan on (but probably won't cause its December and I never get #### done in December) taking BEC in early January.
congrats man. How were the simulations for AUD?
 11-20-2012, 11:19 AMaway - #55
TheIncomparable 

d 
space
$2,596 | 6972269
Simulations weren't too bad. I feel like the research sim was a freebie. I had another sim on bad debt expense, which completely caught me off guard because I didn't study reversing entries at all. I got extremely lucky though cause I was actually doing testwork on bad debt expense a couple weeks prior to the exam. Another sim was on opinions, and I cant remember what the final sim was on.
 11-20-2012, 07:23 PMaway - #56
Toss 

d 
space
$4,096 | 5129770
[quote=Manny05;23488712]I'm still going to have my notes though and that got me through the class. So will see [/QUOTE
It really depends on your teacher i sold my book and bought that #### right back because my new professor was require me re-read some chapters but it all depends on you
 12-02-2012, 07:00 AMonline - #57
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,352 | POWERFUL
Good to hear man....Im taking Aud this Wednesday. I missed my exam 3rd window like a dumbass ...pretty much gave NASBA a $200 donatioon
 12-02-2012, 10:28 AMonline - #58
TheAnswer1313 

d 
space
$1,031 | 1710640
A couple of things that helped me

1) Take FAR first. It's the most material and hardest test. Of course everyone has opinions on this, but the first test you have unlimited time to study for. Why would you not want to have that for the test with the most material? And once you pass that one, studying for the others doesn't seem as bad.

2) I had CPA Excel as my study material. It was excellent IMO. But I also went to CPA Review for free and other websites.

3) Do as many multiple choice questions as you can. This is the biggest thing.

4) Alot of times people do the MC questions and just move on. More important than just doing the questions......understand WHY the correct answer is right and the others are wrong. Alot of times I noticed they won't ask the same question on the actual test, but will ask similar questions just in different ways. If you understand the concepts, you'll get the questions right.

5) Lastly give yourself enough time to study. This is a difficult test, but as long as you put the hours in, you'll be fine.
 12-02-2012, 10:47 AMonline - #59
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,352 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheAnswer1313
A couple of things that helped me

1) Take FAR first. It's the most material and hardest test. Of course everyone has opinions on this, but the first test you have unlimited time to study for. Why would you not want to have that for the test with the most material? And once you pass that one, studying for the others doesn't seem as bad.

2) I had CPA Excel as my study material. It was excellent IMO. But I also went to CPA Review for free and other websites.

3) Do as many multiple choice questions as you can. This is the biggest thing.

4) Alot of times people do the MC questions and just move on. More important than just doing the questions......understand WHY the correct answer is right and the others are wrong. Alot of times I noticed they won't ask the same question on the actual test, but will ask similar questions just in different ways. If you understand the concepts, you'll get the questions right.

5) Lastly give yourself enough time to study. This is a difficult test, but as long as you put the hours in, you'll be fine.
Lol im the complete opposite, i feel Auditing is the toughest...I felt all of my other accounting courses were pretty similar, but Aud was just a different beast (mostly concepts, less math). Plus at work, I use many of FAR concepts with my staff accountant job. To each his own though...

I have been using wiley, gleim, ninja notes, and roger cpa for AUD...been studying for this #### since June 11, and I'm just now getting comfortable with most of the concepts...#### is just french to me.
 12-02-2012, 11:55 AMonline - #60
TheAnswer1313 

d 
space
$1,031 | 1710640
Originally Posted by mtva24
Lol im the complete opposite, i feel Auditing is the toughest...I felt all of my other accounting courses were pretty similar, but Aud was just a different beast (mostly concepts, less math). Plus at work, I use many of FAR concepts with my staff accountant job. To each his own though...

I have been using wiley, gleim, ninja notes, and roger cpa for AUD...been studying for this #### since June 11, and I'm just now getting comfortable with most of the concepts...#### is just french to me.
I also think what kind of work you do plays into it. I'm an audit manager so I found that to be easy since I've done work in it for the past 7 years.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA Kobe looking far from Flabby
61 comments
NBA Carmelo Anthony QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!!!
57 comments
MLB Oakland A's biggest choke artist's in Sports?
65 comments
 Image(s) inside G-unit Is On The Cover Of Xxl’s New Issue
New reply 23 seconds ago - 70 comments - by A.Dot789
 Image(s) inside Birdman Aint Playing No Games!
New reply 10 minutes ago - 67 comments - by Shadiah
 Image(s) inside Trick Daddy Celebrates His Birthday With #lhhatl’s Mim...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 87 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside Acting Hard On Tv Goes Wrong!
New reply 13 minutes ago - 57 comments - by majestykagiso
 Video inside Forza Horizon 2 |ot| The Only Club For Driving You'll ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 149 comments - by Remy Lebeaw
 Article inside T.i. Protégé Doe B’s Gravesite “disturbed” By Culprits
New reply 16 minutes ago - 55 comments - by sdot216
  Sep 30 - Two Female High School Teachers Accused Of Se...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 143 comments - by Blockburner28
 Video inside Taken 3 Trailer
New reply 18 minutes ago - 71 comments - by Scallinno

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,817 fans of BX | none new today 4,800 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.