This is BX @ Boxden.com

CPA Exam

CPA Exam
 04-28-2012, 05:19 AMaway - #21
ShadyKidd 

d 
space
$378 | 871098
I passed the CPA exam about 4 years ago...let me know if you have any specific questions. Here was my approach for studying:

1. Take the exams as soon as you graduate. Most I the accounting classes you take in school are very relevant to the exam so you want that information fresh in your mind. Also, you will get more busier professionally as your career goes on. Take the exam right away before your life at work becomes too busy.

2. Unless you are super confident, I would take 1 test every test window (3 month period). This will give you plenty of time to study for each test.

3. I watched every video lecture that came with my study program and took notes like I was in a class. The note taking helps you absorb more information and also makes a good reference point later.

5. After watching the video lectures, question drill like crazy. Always read the answer explanations as they contain valuable info explaining why the answer is right.

6. You should expect to put in about 50 to 80 hours of studying per test. It is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth the effort to pass your first time through.
 04-29-2012, 09:16 AMaway - #22
MOTTAFOOKAH 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,025 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
I passed the CPA exam about 4 years ago...let me know if you have any specific questions. Here was my approach for studying:

1. Take the exams as soon as you graduate. Most I the accounting classes you take in school are very relevant to the exam so you want that information fresh in your mind. Also, you will get more busier professionally as your career goes on. Take the exam right away before your life at work becomes too busy.

2. Unless you are super confident, I would take 1 test every test window (3 month period). This will give you plenty of time to study for each test.

3. I watched every video lecture that came with my study program and took notes like I was in a class. The note taking helps you absorb more information and also makes a good reference point later.

5. After watching the video lectures, question drill like crazy. Always read the answer explanations as they contain valuable info explaining why the answer is right.

6. You should expect to put in about 50 to 80 hours of studying per test. It is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth the effort to pass your first time through.
What section did you feel was the most challenging?
 04-29-2012, 12:43 PMaway - #23
ShadyKidd 

d 
space
$378 | 871098
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
What section did you feel was the most challenging?
It really depends what areas you are strong with. I have an audit background so I did really well on AUD and pretty good on FAR. REG was probably the hardest for me. Don't overlook BEC. Most people think it is the easiest but a common mistake is to under prepare for that test.
 04-29-2012, 08:44 PMaway - #24
MOTTAFOOKAH 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,025 | POWERFUL
It really depends what areas you are strong with. I have an audit background so I did really well on AUD and pretty good on FAR. REG was probably the hardest for me. Don't overlook BEC. Most people think it is the easiest but a common mistake is to under prepare for that test.
Did you prepare for the exam by taking a class, or did you self study?
 04-30-2012, 04:52 AMaway - #25
ShadyKidd 

d 
space
$378 | 871098
Did you prepare for the exam by taking a class, or did you self study?
Self study. I took the exam right after I finished my masters in accountancy, so I just went through over a year of accounting courses. I was pretty disciplined with my self study and made myself do it. Most people I work with self studied and did fine. Especially if you are working full time, attending a study class could be difficult.
 04-30-2012, 08:42 AMaway - #26
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,320 | POWERFUL

Bruh you ain't ever lie, I can definitely agree with #1. I finished my post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting back in may and started my staff accountant job the Monday after graduation....let's just say I bought roger cpa in june for auditing and I still haven't sat yet....work is too busy and I just had my son in jan...I did get around to applying for the exam and was approved by the virginia board....I think I might schedule for the end of may
 04-30-2012, 09:01 AMaway - #27
MOTTAFOOKAH 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,025 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
Bruh you ain't ever lie, I can definitely agree with #1. I finished my post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting back in may and started my staff accountant job the Monday after graduation....let's just say I bought roger cpa in june for auditing and I still haven't sat yet....work is too busy and I just had my son in jan...I did get around to applying for the exam and was approved by the virginia board....I think I might schedule for the end of may
Congratulations on your son man, I was just wondering when does the 18 month time frame start? ( Its 18 months where I am in Pa, but Idk how it is in VA)
 04-30-2012, 12:24 PMaway - #28
ShadyKidd 

d 
space
$378 | 871098
Congratulations on your son man, I was just wondering when does the 18 month time frame start? ( Its 18 months where I am in Pa, but Idk how it is in VA)
The 18 months usually start once you pass your first test. You have to pass all 4 parts within an 18 month window.
 05-14-2012, 09:50 AMaway - #29
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$2,780 | 15792259
Graduating here pretty soon, got to make sure i get this done before the 2014 new changes
 05-14-2012, 06:53 PMaway - #30
TheIncomparable 

d 
space
$2,596 | 6972269
Working for one of the big 4 right now... They offered CPA Excel and Becker Live so chose CPA excel cause I was done with the classroom setting. So far I haven't taken anything.
 05-15-2012, 08:13 PMaway - #31
MOTTAFOOKAH 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,025 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
Working for one of the big 4 right now... They offered CPA Excel and Becker Live so chose CPA excel cause I was done with the classroom setting. So far I haven't taken anything.
Eh man let us know what you think of CPA Excel... I just signed up for my Becker courses a few days ago, waiting on all the study material...
 05-15-2012, 11:25 PMaway - #32
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$2,780 | 15792259
how do the review classes work?

say im taking FAR in apr-may does the review class for FAR happen on apr-may too? or is it a few months before?!
 05-16-2012, 08:55 PMaway - #33
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,320 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by beeboywhoo
how do the review classes work?

say im taking FAR in apr-may does the review class for FAR happen on apr-may too? or is it a few months before?!
Well I purchased Roger CPA review for Aud. Basically they give you a text book, a wiley book, a wiley multiple choice cd, and he tapes his lectures and posts all the videos to the site. You have 12 months to watch all of the lectures online
 05-16-2012, 11:58 PMaway - #34
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$2,780 | 15792259
Im narrowing it down to Roger and calbecker.. roger was all you need to pass right?
 05-17-2012, 08:26 AMaway - #35
Tony Franks 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,233 | 20713908
I have to take it eventually. I am dragging my feet quite a bit tho. Good thread
 05-17-2012, 10:39 AMaway - #36
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,419 | POWERFUL
I got the Yeager review. Got a free iPad out of it.
 05-17-2012, 04:06 PMaway - #37
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,320 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug
I got the Yeager review. Got a free iPad out of it.
i heard yaegar is good for everything but aud and roger is good for aud only but not for everything else
 05-17-2012, 05:31 PMaway - #38
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,419 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
i heard yaegar is good for everything but aud and roger is good for aud only but not for everything else
Good to know. I had a hard a$s auditing teacher in college that made us do practice sims and took a lot of question out of the gleim test banks. I feel pretty good about the auditing section.
 05-17-2012, 06:42 PMaway - #39
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,028 | POWERFUL
Honestly. We should make a thread and post everything we can on how to prepare for the CPA exam
What do you guys think ?
 05-17-2012, 09:41 PMaway - #40
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,419 | POWERFUL

Thats a good forum. Got a lot of info off of.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Do you have $360??????
54 comments
Video inside  The Official Destiny Thread
628 comments
NFL The Official Chicago Bears @ San Francisco 49ers Game Th..
1086 comments
 NBA Best Defense I've Seen In A Long Time (pic)
New reply 12 minutes ago - 60 comments - by UpTownBronx92
 Video inside Stitches Offers Coke To Audience, Calls Jeezy "sn...
New reply 1 hour ago - 104 comments - by Sk8bamboo
 Image(s) inside Glasses Malone Ethers Feminists, Defends Ray Rice, Say...
New reply 34 minutes ago - 81 comments - by lexdaghost
 NFL Emotional Cris Carter On Child Abuse: "my Mom Was...
New reply 1 hour ago - 92 comments - by Stupendamatic
 Image(s) inside Khloe Kardashian And French Montana Split: Rapper Diss...
New reply 53 minutes ago - 70 comments - by Sniggit
  Hit'em Up Has The Most Replay Value Of Any Diss Record
New reply 2 hours ago - 128 comments - by HipHopFactz
 Image(s) inside What Classic Hip Hop Albums Are Missing From This Pict...
New reply 1 hour ago - 94 comments - by mdemaz
 Image(s) inside Official Iphone 6 Or 6 Plus, Roll Call Buying Or Not
New reply 3 hours ago - 128 comments - by mrfreak76

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.