This is BX @ Boxden.com


CPA Exam

 CPA Exam
 04-28-2012, 06:19 AMaway - #21
ShadyKidd 

  d 
space
$378 | 871098
I passed the CPA exam about 4 years ago...let me know if you have any specific questions. Here was my approach for studying:

1. Take the exams as soon as you graduate. Most I the accounting classes you take in school are very relevant to the exam so you want that information fresh in your mind. Also, you will get more busier professionally as your career goes on. Take the exam right away before your life at work becomes too busy.

2. Unless you are super confident, I would take 1 test every test window (3 month period). This will give you plenty of time to study for each test.

3. I watched every video lecture that came with my study program and took notes like I was in a class. The note taking helps you absorb more information and also makes a good reference point later.

5. After watching the video lectures, question drill like crazy. Always read the answer explanations as they contain valuable info explaining why the answer is right.

6. You should expect to put in about 50 to 80 hours of studying per test. It is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth the effort to pass your first time through.
 04-29-2012, 10:16 AMaway - #22
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$9,184 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
I passed the CPA exam about 4 years ago...let me know if you have any specific questions. Here was my approach for studying:

1. Take the exams as soon as you graduate. Most I the accounting classes you take in school are very relevant to the exam so you want that information fresh in your mind. Also, you will get more busier professionally as your career goes on. Take the exam right away before your life at work becomes too busy.

2. Unless you are super confident, I would take 1 test every test window (3 month period). This will give you plenty of time to study for each test.

3. I watched every video lecture that came with my study program and took notes like I was in a class. The note taking helps you absorb more information and also makes a good reference point later.

5. After watching the video lectures, question drill like crazy. Always read the answer explanations as they contain valuable info explaining why the answer is right.

6. You should expect to put in about 50 to 80 hours of studying per test. It is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth the effort to pass your first time through.
What section did you feel was the most challenging?
 04-29-2012, 01:43 PMaway - #23
ShadyKidd 

  d 
space
$378 | 871098
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
What section did you feel was the most challenging?
It really depends what areas you are strong with. I have an audit background so I did really well on AUD and pretty good on FAR. REG was probably the hardest for me. Don't overlook BEC. Most people think it is the easiest but a common mistake is to under prepare for that test.
 04-29-2012, 09:44 PMaway - #24
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$9,184 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
It really depends what areas you are strong with. I have an audit background so I did really well on AUD and pretty good on FAR. REG was probably the hardest for me. Don't overlook BEC. Most people think it is the easiest but a common mistake is to under prepare for that test.
Did you prepare for the exam by taking a class, or did you self study?
 04-30-2012, 05:52 AMaway - #25
ShadyKidd 

  d 
space
$378 | 871098
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
Did you prepare for the exam by taking a class, or did you self study?
Self study. I took the exam right after I finished my masters in accountancy, so I just went through over a year of accounting courses. I was pretty disciplined with my self study and made myself do it. Most people I work with self studied and did fine. Especially if you are working full time, attending a study class could be difficult.
 04-30-2012, 09:42 AMaway - #26
mtva24 126 heat pts126

  d 
space
$5,594 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd
I passed the CPA exam about 4 years ago...let me know if you have any specific questions. Here was my approach for studying:

1. Take the exams as soon as you graduate. Most I the accounting classes you take in school are very relevant to the exam so you want that information fresh in your mind. Also, you will get more busier professionally as your career goes on. Take the exam right away before your life at work becomes too busy.

2. Unless you are super confident, I would take 1 test every test window (3 month period). This will give you plenty of time to study for each test.

3. I watched every video lecture that came with my study program and took notes like I was in a class. The note taking helps you absorb more information and also makes a good reference point later.

5. After watching the video lectures, question drill like crazy. Always read the answer explanations as they contain valuable info explaining why the answer is right.

6. You should expect to put in about 50 to 80 hours of studying per test. It is definitely a lot of work, but it is worth the effort to pass your first time through.
Bruh you ain't ever lie, I can definitely agree with #1. I finished my post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting back in may and started my staff accountant job the Monday after graduation....let's just say I bought roger cpa in june for auditing and I still haven't sat yet....work is too busy and I just had my son in jan...I did get around to applying for the exam and was approved by the virginia board....I think I might schedule for the end of may
 04-30-2012, 10:01 AMaway - #27
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$9,184 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
Bruh you ain't ever lie, I can definitely agree with #1. I finished my post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting back in may and started my staff accountant job the Monday after graduation....let's just say I bought roger cpa in june for auditing and I still haven't sat yet....work is too busy and I just had my son in jan...I did get around to applying for the exam and was approved by the virginia board....I think I might schedule for the end of may
Congratulations on your son man, I was just wondering when does the 18 month time frame start? ( Its 18 months where I am in Pa, but Idk how it is in VA)
 04-30-2012, 01:24 PMaway - #28
ShadyKidd 

  d 
space
$378 | 871098
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
Congratulations on your son man, I was just wondering when does the 18 month time frame start? ( Its 18 months where I am in Pa, but Idk how it is in VA)
The 18 months usually start once you pass your first test. You have to pass all 4 parts within an 18 month window.
 05-14-2012, 10:50 AMaway - #29
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

  d 
space
$2,812 | 15792260
Graduating here pretty soon, got to make sure i get this done before the 2014 new changes
 05-14-2012, 07:53 PMaway - #30
TheIncomparable 

  d 
space
$2,596 | 6972269
Working for one of the big 4 right now... They offered CPA Excel and Becker Live so chose CPA excel cause I was done with the classroom setting. So far I haven't taken anything.
 05-15-2012, 09:13 PMaway - #31
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$9,184 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheIncomparable
Working for one of the big 4 right now... They offered CPA Excel and Becker Live so chose CPA excel cause I was done with the classroom setting. So far I haven't taken anything.
Eh man let us know what you think of CPA Excel... I just signed up for my Becker courses a few days ago, waiting on all the study material...
 05-16-2012, 12:25 AMaway - #32
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

  d 
space
$2,812 | 15792260
how do the review classes work?

say im taking FAR in apr-may does the review class for FAR happen on apr-may too? or is it a few months before?!
 05-16-2012, 09:55 PMaway - #33
mtva24 126 heat pts126

  d 
space
$5,594 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by beeboywhoo
how do the review classes work?

say im taking FAR in apr-may does the review class for FAR happen on apr-may too? or is it a few months before?!
Well I purchased Roger CPA review for Aud. Basically they give you a text book, a wiley book, a wiley multiple choice cd, and he tapes his lectures and posts all the videos to the site. You have 12 months to watch all of the lectures online
 05-17-2012, 12:58 AMaway - #34
beeboywhoo 17 heat pts17

  d 
space
$2,812 | 15792260
Im narrowing it down to Roger and calbecker.. roger was all you need to pass right?
 05-17-2012, 09:26 AMaway - #35
Tony Franks 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$5,477 | POWERFUL
I have to take it eventually. I am dragging my feet quite a bit tho. Good thread
 05-17-2012, 11:39 AMaway - #36
hockeythug 55 heat pts55

  d 
space
$17,673 | POWERFUL
I got the Yeager review. Got a free iPad out of it.
 05-17-2012, 05:06 PMaway - #37
mtva24 126 heat pts126

  d 
space
$5,594 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug
I got the Yeager review. Got a free iPad out of it.
i heard yaegar is good for everything but aud and roger is good for aud only but not for everything else
 05-17-2012, 06:31 PMaway - #38
hockeythug 55 heat pts55

  d 
space
$17,673 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
i heard yaegar is good for everything but aud and roger is good for aud only but not for everything else
Good to know. I had a hard a$s auditing teacher in college that made us do practice sims and took a lot of question out of the gleim test banks. I feel pretty good about the auditing section.
 05-17-2012, 07:42 PMaway - #39
Manny05 

  d 
space
$17,122 | POWERFUL
Honestly. We should make a thread and post everything we can on how to prepare for the CPA exam
What do you guys think ?
 05-17-2012, 10:41 PMaway - #40
hockeythug 55 heat pts55

  d 
space
$17,673 | POWERFUL


Thats a good forum. Got a lot of info off of.
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Nov 26 - Cleveland police officer shot Tamir Rice imme..
64 comments
Nov 26 - Michael Brown's Mom: Darren Wilson Testimony Adds 'Ins..
78 comments
NFL What should RG3 upcoming 30 for 30 be called?
59 comments
 Image(s) inside :minimestopit:
New reply 16 seconds ago - 177 comments - by Ari Gold
  Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Was Released 22 Years Ago Today
New reply 2 minutes ago - 112 comments - by kindabizzie
  Pitchfork: "eminem's Music Has Been Unrelievedly ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 151 comments - by mdemaz
 BOX Floyd "can I Remind You What Jmm Did To Pacman&qu...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 85 comments - by Ash10
  Rick Ross Is "disappointed" That Timbaland L...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 99 comments - by MGz
 NFL Richard Sherman & Doug Baldwin Sh-tting On The Lea...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 73 comments - by Hoop Dreams
 Image(s) inside Pharrell Williams: Why Arenít We Talking About Michael...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 233 comments - by Carlton Black
 Video inside Nov 25 - Michael Brown Step Dad To Protestors:burn Thi...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 293 comments - by Carlton Black

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,864 fans of BX | none new today 4,813 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.