This is BX @ Boxden.com

CPA Exam

CPA Exam
topic by MOTTAFOOKAH - 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

I didn't see a thread about this anywhere on BX; so I figured I'd start one since I am contemplating on sitting for this next year... Anyone a CPA on here, and can give some advice on studying for the exam, tips, etc?

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

102 comments for "CPA Exam"

04-21-2012, 07:57 PMaway - #2
Rique 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$25,941 | POWERFUL
Good luck. Keep us updated
 04-21-2012, 09:36 PMaway - #3
Andre3stacks 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$14,824 | POWERFUL
Ill start taking the CPA this summer after I graduate. Got Becker CPA review for free. While im taking it and studying for it I can give yall my study tips in this thread or make a new one. My goal is to take the FAR section first and AUD second. 2 real tricky parts of the test. REG and BEC seem like they wont be that bad.
 04-22-2012, 02:06 AMaway - #4
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Andre3stacks
Ill start taking the CPA this summer after I graduate. Got Becker CPA review for free. While im taking it and studying for it I can give yall my study tips in this thread or make a new one. My goal is to take the FAR section first and AUD second. 2 real tricky parts of the test. REG and BEC seem like they wont be that bad.
:jawdrop: how the hell did you get Becker for free?
 04-22-2012, 02:45 AMaway - #5
BigAssTree 1 heat pts

d 
space
$538 | 1571097
To sit for the CPA you need 24 semester units worth of accounting courses, 24 semester units worth of business courses, and a Bachelors Degree with 180 units, right?
 04-22-2012, 11:41 AMaway - #6
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BigAssTree
To sit for the CPA you need 24 semester units worth of accounting courses, 24 semester units worth of business courses, and a Bachelors Degree with 180 units, right?
You need a Bachelors to sit, but to complete the credentials you need in most states 150 credits and 2 years work experience believe...

^^^ This is a good site to check for your state....
 04-22-2012, 12:38 PMaway - #7

d 
space
$14,824 | POWERFUL
Those Accounting Courses include basic principles courses

Acct Principles I
Acct Principles II
Intermediate I
Intermediate II
Cost Accounting
AIS
Individual Taxation
Auditing

^^ Those are main requirements.

Classes like Advanced Acct, Government, and Tax Corporations are recommended but arent needed. U can take any of them as electives.

The business courses include classes like Operations Management and Business Law.

and you can sit with a regular Bachelors in ACCT without the 150 Credits now. U just wont get certified till the year requirement.

Last edited by Andre3stacks; 04-22-2012 at 12:41 PM..
 04-22-2012, 12:39 PMaway - #8

d 
space
$14,824 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
:jawdrop: how the hell did you get Becker for free?
Networked and became a REP for the company.
 04-22-2012, 01:35 PMaway - #9
BigAssTree 1 heat pts

d 
space
$538 | 1571097
So I can sit for the CPA Exam without the 24 semester units in accounting and 24 semester units in business? I just won't be certified UNTIL I get those units?
 04-22-2012, 02:06 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$14,824 | POWERFUL
So I can sit for the CPA Exam without the 24 semester units in accounting and 24 semester units in business? I just won't be certified UNTIL I get those units?
Na u HAVE to get a Bachelors in Accounting/those courses before you are allowed to sit. You need the courses I listed to sit as well. You just dont need the extra credits to make 150 to sit.

Before you take the test you have to mail your transcript in adn they must cross check the courses you have.
 04-22-2012, 02:06 PMaway - #11
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,466 | POWERFUL
Yeah, you can take it,but you have like 12 months or something like that to get the required extra credits.
 04-22-2012, 02:12 PMaway - #12

d 
space
$14,824 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hockeythug
Yeah, you can take it,but you have like 12 months or something like that to get the required extra credits.
Which state?? All of them?
 04-22-2012, 02:20 PMaway - #13
hockeythug 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$17,466 | POWERFUL
Which state?? All of them?
never mind, its three years. At least in Minnesota.

I know its different in each state. Just was reading the states cpa site.

You have three years from when you were notified that you passed the final section of the CPA exam to complete the remaining requirements of certification (education, self-study ethics exam, one year of experience) and apply for your initial certificate. Once all requirements are met, you can then apply for your CPA certificate through the Minnesota Board of Accountancy. If you do not meet all requirements within three years, you must also submit a report showing that you completed 120 hours of CPE
 04-22-2012, 05:50 PMonline - #14
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,353 | POWERFUL
im studying for Auditing now...trying to take it in may...I am using Roger CPA for video lectures, and Gleim and Wiley for my testbanks...applied and was approved through the VA board back in Jan
 04-22-2012, 05:52 PMonline - #15
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,353 | POWERFUL
Na u HAVE to get a Bachelors in Accounting/those courses before you are allowed to sit. You need the courses I listed to sit as well. You just dont need the extra credits to make 150 to sit.

Before you take the test you have to mail your transcript in adn they must cross check the courses you have.
You don't need the bachelors in Accounting specifically, you just need a Bachelors period plus the required courses...people take those classes at a community college without being in a degree/certificate program, and they are still eligible.
 04-22-2012, 08:36 PMaway - #16
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtva24
im studying for Auditing now...trying to take it in may...I am using Roger CPA for video lectures, and Gleim and Wiley for my testbanks...applied and was approved through the VA board back in Jan
How do you like Rogers? Seen a flyer of theirs at school...
 04-22-2012, 09:02 PMonline - #17
Captain Fresh 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,825 | 13005574
bookmarking this thread. i got to take the cpa within the next year for my job. suppose to start taking becker classes next month. good luck to yall thats taking it soon
 04-23-2012, 07:13 AMonline - #18
mtva24 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$5,353 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MOTTAFOOKAH
How do you like Rogers? Seen a flyer of theirs at school...
Roger is straight, he also includes the wiley book and testbank to make up for #### he doesn't cover. He says everything he lectures on is on the exam, but if you flip through wiley and gleim you see a bunch of #### he doesn't go over...a lot of people on accounting forums say that his class was all that was needed
 04-23-2012, 09:49 AMaway - #19
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,044 | POWERFUL
The Uniform CPA Examination: Purpose and Structure

The Uniform Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Examination is the examination that an individual must pass in order to qualify for licensure as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in any of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions (the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands).

CPAs are the only licensed accounting professionals. CPA licenses are issued by state boards of accountancy in the 55 jurisdictions – there is no national CPA licensure process in the U.S.

The purpose of the Uniform CPA Examination is to provide reasonable a$surance to Boards of Accountancy (the state entities that have statutory authority to issue licenses) that those who pass the CPA Examination possess the level of technical knowledge and the skills necessary for initial licensure in protection of the public interest. Public interest is protected when only qualified individuals are admitted into the profession.

One of Three Licensure Requirements

The Uniform CPA Examination is one of the “Three Es” – Education, Examination, and Experience – that constitute the requirements for CPA licensure. Of these three requirements, only the CPA Examination is uniform (i.e., it is the only examination that is accepted for CPA licensure by all U.S. jurisdictions), while education and experience requirements may vary from one jurisdiction to another. Candidates for CPA licensure must meet all three requirements. As a result, passing the CPA Examination is not sufficient – in itself – to qualify for licensure.

Structure

The Uniform CPA Examination currently consists of four sections: Auditing and Attestation (AUD), Business Environment and Concepts (BEC), Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR), and Regulation (REG). These four sections represent a total of 14 hours of testing.

Background

The Uniform CPA Examination developed from the examination that was used for admission to membership in the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA). In 1917, the Institute offered the examination for use in the licensure process by Boards of Accountancy. At that time, Boards in three jurisdictions accepted the invitation. It was not until 1952 that the examination was first used in all jurisdictions.

Until the end of 2003, the Uniform CPA Examination was administered twice a year in the paper-and-pencil format. In April 2004, the computer-based CPA Examination was launched and the paper-and-pencil examination was discontinued. In 2009, the computer-based CPA Examination reached a milestone – one million administrations. A new CPA Examination release is scheduled for 2011.

SOURCE
 04-25-2012, 11:15 PMaway - #20
Manny05 

d 
space
$17,066 | POWERFUL
Great thread. I'm taking business and accounting in college. So I might take the CPA after I graduate

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA LIVE 15 Gameplay Improvements: Offense
53 comments
NBA Kobe looking far from Flabby
69 comments
NBA So Anthony Davis is the Best PF in the League?
53 comments
 Article inside T.i. Protégé Doe B’s Gravesite “disturbed” By Culprits
New reply 4 seconds ago - 64 comments - by sdot216
 NBA #nba2krank - Rankings For Every Nba Player
New reply 9 minutes ago - 81 comments - by Gremlin
 Video inside Acting Hard On Tv Goes Wrong!
New reply 13 seconds ago - 60 comments - by majestykagiso
 audio inside New Joe Budden - Nothing Changes Ft Ransom & Tsu S...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 53 comments - by dominicanlink12
  Sep 30 - White Woman Sues, Says Sperm Bank Gave Vials ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 134 comments - by BeatTycoon
 NBA Kobe: "dantoni And I Didn't Share Philosophies On...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 66 comments - by theblast22
  Sep 30 - Two Female High School Teachers Accused Of Se...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 150 comments - by Blockburner28
  Sep 30 - Breaking News: First Ebola Patient In America...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 114 comments - by pandadays

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,817 fans of BX | none new today 4,800 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.