This is BX @ Boxden.com

Books About Success

Books About Success
topic by Stayburnin - 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

I love to read self-help books. I try to gain as much knowledge as I can. I saved a good amount of money this past year. Im still young but Im very passionate. I want to be successful. I had a lot of hardships in my life but I got my life on track now.

I want to read useful books about success and becoming rich. Can you guys recommend me any books to read that I will gain knowledge from?

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "Books About Success"

12-29-2012, 06:32 PMaway - #2
4 Letter Words 

d 
space
$696 | POWERFUL
success is in the journey
if all you want is to become rich, understand first that it doesn't equate to happiness. would you rather be rich or happy? i'm not the only person who will swear by this. all these ppl out here who tell u money will solve all your problems are sorely misled, most of them have never had money before or they would know the truth. money can never buy happiness, but the pursuit of money can destroy your life if you let it consume you and overpower your integrity

so find something you love to do and if it makes you money so be it. if you have nothing you love to do or aren't sure what it is yet, that doesn't mean your alone, you are in the majority. Mark Cuban (a billionaire) said that anyone is passionate about things they are good at, of course he was right. His perspective: pick something and get good at it, the better you get at it, the more you start to love it. start a business because you want to fill a need for others, not because you are trying to get paid. or you won't have the resolve to stick with it when your plan falters, as it will, without doubt. nothing always goes according to plan and that includes life, nothing worth having comes easy. to me, success = being able to overcome circumstances and hardships in life, instead of being defined by them. "finding the hidden advantage in unfortunate circumstances, using pain to take things to the next level. That's the stuff that turns players into kings."
It's very difficult to persevere without a true purpose, and financial success is far from an acceptable life purpose. you only have one life to live, how do you want to be remembered when you are gone? as someone who made a lot of money? or someone who's life had a message, a meaning, someone who genuinely touched the souls of others?

I'd recommend reading Sun Tzu Art of War, Machiavelli The Prince, 48 Laws of Power Robert Greene; all 3 books have contributed to my philosophical understanding of life and success. I'm nowhere near to having all the answers and I try to learn something everyday. Never step educating yourself and free your mind from the illusion that your journey ends with you obtaining riches. Not what it's all about yo. you say you have gotten your life on track. some of the most successful people in the world are the ppl who endured through the most unbearable failures. read life stories of individuals like malcom x and abraham lincoln, prepare to be blown away by their unbreakable nature

just to get started, and if you haven't already, read Rich Dad, Poor Dad for a fundamental understanding of a$sets and liabilities, important aspects of creating wealth and successfully managing your resources

Last edited by 4 Letter Words; 12-29-2012 at 06:41 PM..
 12-29-2012, 08:37 PMaway - #3
Stayburnin 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$2,006 | 12810999
props! I agree with you completely that being rich and being happy don't go together all the time. the word success means something different to everyone. I want my life to mean something and I want to change other peoples lives. My experiences have been crazy and for me to hit rock bottom like I did and bounce back is an amazing story right there. I reached a great place where I am satisfied with where I am at now and am proud of myself. I go places and share my story and help people who were in my situation. Now I want something for myself and one thing I love is money.

I want to make money and enjoy making it. When I see my bank account get more money in it, Im happy. I want to find something I can do that I will enjoy and I want to make money doing it. I read a lot and the more I read the more I learn. I love to learn new things and I hope I will be successful in whatever I do.
 12-30-2012, 03:19 PMaway - #4
Real Hustler 

d 
space
$441 | 1236539
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason
 12-30-2012, 04:00 PMaway - #5
siren 

d 
space
$1,225 | 2151558
Coelho, Paulo - The Alchemist
Covey, Stephen - The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Ferriss, Tim - The 4-Hour Workweek
Greene, Robert - The 48 Laws of Power
Greene, Robert - The Art of Seduction
Hill, Napoleon - Think and Grow Rich
Hill, Napoleon - Keys to Success
Sharma, Robin - The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
 12-30-2012, 06:40 PMaway - #6
ProfitSee 352 heat pts352

d 
space
$4,729 | POWERFUL
If it is one thing I hate doing it's reading. I do however like to read books about success and obtaining wealth. The best book I have ever read which was just last week is called "The Art of Money Getting" by P.T. Barnum, yes, of Barnum & Bailey Circus. I highly recommend this book. It was written in 1880 and everything in the book is still relevant in today's world. It's not filled with a bunch of bs like other money books so every paragraph is succinct. I read it multiple times which is something I normally don't do.
 12-30-2012, 08:08 PMaway - #7
Metalzoa 

d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
A lot of the above are the cookie-cutter "hey everyone has recommended these books so these are safe choices" sort of books. I'd never pick up 48 Laws of Power or 4 Hour Work-week. They're just not for me.

The book I read that most changed the money-making aspects of my mind is:

by Henry Ford
It's free. Won't cost you a dime.

It talks extensively about how Henry Ford found a new industry, how he made and refined a product, how he built products profitably, introduced them to a market, stayed extremely profitable while increasing the costs he paid to his staff and reduced the amount he charged for his products. Consistently. Every year.

You don't make money AND pay staff well AND provide constant benefit to your clients every year working 4 hours a week. You'll never be truly successful cutting corners like that.

The second book I'd recommend is by 37Signals. Again, free. Won't cost you a dime.

Book is primarily for people who build software for a living, but I feel the basic principles behind it apply to pretty much every field of endeavor. I believe they discovered the same, which is why they released Rework, which they sell.

Basically the book tells you to get off your a$s and do stuff. You will suck at it, but here's how to make you you won't always suck. Here's how to not take bad advice. Here's how to go out there on your own terms and not fall for bs traps and lies you will get from MBAs and a lot of popular culture success books.

Its a lot easier of a read than Henry Ford's but trust me ... you definitely want to read My Life and Works.

I got more (Southwest Airlines Way, which I'm currently reading ... many others I've read to recommend) but the idea isn't to flood you .. just suggest a couple and if you like them then I can spend the time telling you about more and why, since you'll appreciate it :)
 12-30-2012, 10:23 PMaway - #8
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$3,850 | POWERFUL

this dude is the truth if you're looking for inspiration.

All the technical know how in the world .. is in free textbooks in the library.
.....you know , where most dudes never go.

also going back to school helps.
An Economics class answered every question I ever had about business

good luck
 12-30-2012, 11:07 PMaway - #9
ManOfSteel23 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,954 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by siren
Coelho, Paulo - The Alchemist
Covey, Stephen - The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Ferriss, Tim - The 4-Hour Workweek
Greene, Robert - The 48 Laws of Power
Greene, Robert - The Art of Seduction
Hill, Napoleon - Think and Grow Rich
Hill, Napoleon - Keys to Success
Sharma, Robin - The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Agree with those two very much.

Pursuit of excellence by terry orlick is good for sports
 12-31-2012, 08:57 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$4,729 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Metalzoa
A lot of the above are the cookie-cutter "hey everyone has recommended these books so these are safe choices" sort of books. I'd never pick up 48 Laws of Power or 4 Hour Work-week. They're just not for me.
That's my point exactly!

by Henry Ford
Notice how this book is also written by a pioneer. not some guy out of the blue writing a book about getting rich.
 12-31-2012, 09:39 PMaway - #11
Stayburnin 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$2,006 | 12810999
Thanks everyone. I have read some of these and definitely will read some that you guys recommended. The last book I read was millionaire next door which was also good. I also read books like the secret to be a more positive person which helps to be successful. Thanks for the input.
 01-01-2013, 07:41 PMaway - #12
Metalzoa 

d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ProfitSee

Notice how this book is also written by a pioneer. not some guy out of the blue writing a book about getting rich.

Reminds me of sometime in 2012 when Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad Poor Dad) . People treat that book like some wealth bible and the dude himself goes broke.

Why would I bother reading his book now? Sounds like all theory no practice.
And if there's one thing to keep in mind, it's this:

"In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is".
 01-01-2013, 07:47 PMaway - #13
Don Savant|S 3 heat pts

d 
space
$21,486 | POWERFUL
any of these available in pdf or kindle format for free?
 01-01-2013, 09:13 PMonline - #14
Dicemoney6 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$694 | 8910770
good info
 01-02-2013, 04:36 AMaway - #15
A_A 1 heat pts

d 
space
$282 | 1477199
@ Metalzoa: more books to recommend?
 01-02-2013, 10:24 AMaway - #16
Real Hustler 

d 
space
$441 | 1236539

The book I read that most changed the money-making aspects of my mind is:

by Henry Ford
It's free. Won't cost you a dime.

It talks extensively about how Henry Ford found a new industry, how he made and refined a product, how he built products profitably, introduced them to a market, stayed extremely profitable while increasing the costs he paid to his staff and reduced the amount he charged for his products. Consistently. Every year.

You don't make money AND pay staff well AND provide constant benefit to your clients every year working 4 hours a week. You'll never be truly successful cutting corners like that.

The second book I'd recommend is by 37Signals. Again, free. Won't cost you a dime.

Book is primarily for people who build software for a living, but I feel the basic principles behind it apply to pretty much every field of endeavor. I believe they discovered the same, which is why they released Rework, which they sell.

Basically the book tells you to get off your a$s and do stuff. You will suck at it, but here's how to make you you won't always suck. Here's how to not take bad advice. Here's how to go out there on your own terms and not fall for bs traps and lies you will get from MBAs and a lot of popular culture success books.

Its a lot easier of a read than Henry Ford's but trust me ... you definitely want to read My Life and Works.

I got more (Southwest Airlines Way, which I'm currently reading ... many others I've read to recommend) but the idea isn't to flood you .. just suggest a couple and if you like them then I can spend the time telling you about more and why, since you'll appreciate it :)
Can you name some of those other books?
 01-02-2013, 11:00 AMaway - #17
Metalzoa 

d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Don Savant
I put links for the free books I've recommended. The only one without a link (The Southwest Airlines Way) is one you need to pay for, but also one you don't NEED to read cover to cover. The first few chapters are enough to get the message of the book. The rest is just a close-up look at different applications of the same theory.

---

As per recommendations for more books, this one came with very childish analogies and a simplistic story but the principle it tries to convey is priceless.

Not free, but its popular enough that it should be in your public library. It's small enough that you can read it in a very lazy week. It's simple enough that I can provide a decent summary for you here.

The basic premise are two groups of mice who venture into a maze and after going down a nearby path they find a room full of cheese. Every morning they go down the same path, eat as much cheese as they want and then head out of the maze and go to sleep.

One group is satisfied with this life, the other group isn't and decided one day to venture further down in the maze. Tells you what happens with both groups of mice and how things played out.

The thing is, it's exactly like business. We see it happen all the time. Someone starts a business (say cutting hair or promoting events, for example). They find they can make decent money and sooner or later other people are joining the same field and everyone is making money. Sooner or later, the amount of money being made starts to go down. Maybe too many people offering the same service. Maybe clients are moving somewhere else (learning to cut their own hair, perhaps? Promoting their own events on social networks instead?). One thing's for sure ... the money isn't the same.

There are people who will sit and do the exact same thing for the net 20 years, complain and reminisce about the good old days and hate on everyone else (people outsourcing jobs, foreigners, anything they feel is the reason). They will stay in the same room in the maze and stay there til there is no cheese and die there.

There are others who will explore even before the cheese runs out. They turn a consistently slow day at the barber shop into one where up and coming barbers (who they might be competing with in future or might just be people who want to learn for themselves) can come in and learn the ins and outs of cutting hair and different styles. They learn this social media thing and start promoting client events online. They pick up search engine optimization. They go to many and know where to meet people and what they like so they can be better promoters. These mice will consistently explore further in the maze, not waiting to ever run out of cheese before they find something new they can try in addition to what they already do. As one runs out, they aren't going to starve, they just rely more on other types of cheese as explore even deeper in the maze.

It's the same reason why a company that used to be primarily a book seller (Amazon) is now one of the biggest tech giants in the world. They weren't satisfied in selling books. Thankfully today, as major publishers, magazine companies and newspapers have their revenues tanking, Amazon is sitting pretty because they didn't rely on what got them on the map to keep them on. They explored deeper.

The book isn't telling you where to explore or how, but it shows you why its necessary to. My copy has less than 100 pages, it's huge font and not all the pages are full-on words. They have many pages dedicated to a principle the book is trying to emphasize, diluted down to a single quote. I read the whole thing in one afternoon, if I remember correctly. Don't let the simplicity of it fool you; it's very important to know and understand what it's talking about.
 01-02-2013, 12:08 PMaway - #18
egotistical 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,734 | POWERFUL
I really hate to say this... but read books is great... but its all about action and what u do with the information... a lot of these books are the same information just in different ways with a sprinkle of a little more information... what it is about is are you doing what u need to do? Are you setting goals to get you to where u want? Are you taking action?
 01-02-2013, 06:14 PMaway - #19

d 
space
$4,729 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Don Savant
Funny thing is that the book Metalzoa and I recommended are both on the same site(for free)

You can

Enjoy!
 01-03-2013, 01:50 AMaway - #20
Metalzoa 

d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ProfitSee
Funny thing is that the book Metalzoa and I recommended are both on the same site(for free)

You can

Enjoy!
Added it to my Reading app.

I just finished The Southwest Airlines Way. I was going to start a different book ( by the ceo of Zappos) but after flipping through your recommendation, I'm going to read it next instead.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Find me a Soprano's or Breaking Bad scene fu-king with this
103 comments
Video inside  Introducing PS4 Share Play...
57 comments
Video inside  Sunset Overdrive Embargo Lifted early review
104 comments
  The Game.....has One Of The Best Songs Of The Year.
New reply 11 seconds ago - 71 comments - by Littlefinger1
 Image(s) inside Oct 24 - Tlc Cancels Honey Boo Boo Over Mom's Child Mo...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 72 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 MMA Ufc 179: Aldo Vs. Mendes 2 Official Discussion Thread
New reply 3 minutes ago - 183 comments - by Gramz
  Oct 24 - Death Threats Aimed At Boy, 11, Who Bagged Ra...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 67 comments - by messy marv stan
 Image(s) inside She's Cute And All, But Are We Supposed To Ignore This...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 63 comments - by BasedonMars
 NCAAF Week 9 Cfb Thread(top 25 Only)
New reply 21 minutes ago - 360 comments - by JBoogie
 Video inside Rick Ross "the Truth Is More Sinister" Appre...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 109 comments - by JBoogie
 Image(s) inside Alfie From Old Nick Show "my Brother & Me&quo...
New reply 26 minutes ago - 105 comments - by KleanKutt100

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,801 following and 5 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.