This is BX @ Boxden.com


Anybody here a pharmacist?


New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

 Anybody here a pharmacist?
 02-15-2013, 01:43 PMaway - #21
Counterfeit215 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,872 | 11975348
Originally Posted by RustyLorcin
I know carpenters making 250k+ a year profit running their own business.

A product or a service in this case trade school with good marketing will always win. Plus the dude running his own business does not have to answer to anyone or put up some dumb white robe and show up to work in Walgreens.

who cares about a high salary if at the end of the day you are still a slave who's dependent on on a platform (the pharmacy) to make money.

The man who can create money outlasts the one who can only make it.

What percentage of carpenters are making close to 100 K? Even union guys aren't clearing that now a days.

55% Of new start up businesses fail within the first year.

And I'd rather be a "slave" with a Salary then doing laboring most of my life, and not being able to enjoy my later years.

Work smarter, not harder you ####ing moron.
 02-15-2013, 02:03 PMonline - #22
RustyLorcin 11 heat pts11

  d 
space
$2,673 | 14229391
Originally Posted by Counterfeit215
What percentage of carpenters are making close to 100 K? Even union guys aren't clearing that now a days.

55% Of new start up businesses fail within the first year.

And I'd rather be a "slave" with a Salary then doing laboring most of my life, and not being able to enjoy my later years.

Work smarter, not harder you ####ing moron.
It's called subcontracting production, technically you aren't doing any labor, this is how a business is created. you are calling me a moron yet you are bringing up stats of carpenters that are working in a union which is not even what we are discussing, there's a difference in a carpenter that produces cabinets for homes and some dude breaking his back at a job site.

I'll take my chances on that 45% chance of true freedom.

####ing slave

Last edited by RustyLorcin; 02-15-2013 at 02:06 PM..
 02-15-2013, 06:38 PMonline - #23
me707 

  d 
space
$892 | 1749593
I am a pharmacist. Let me give you some pros and cons here, so you really know what you are getting into.

1st: You need to have a passion for pharmacy. I spent my first two years working in retail (CVS and Walgreens). The money was great, but it was too routine. Plus I had to deal with angry patients who didn't mind waiting at the physician's office, but it was too much to wait for me to fill their prescription. Go and shadow a pharmacist in different areas to make sure this is what you want to do.

Cons:
As someone mentioned here, it is about time management. I was taking 9 classes my first semester of pharmacy school, and was expected to do community service work, and do an internship for the 1st 3 Tuesdays. My time management skills were horrible then. I relied heavily on energy drinks, and that stopped working (lol I woke up one night still holding a half of can). If you fall behind on studying, you are screwed. The amount of information that they will throw at you is impossible to memorize last min.

Also as someone suggested, go to a school that's been open for quite some time. Right now there are still pharmacy schools opening. This is becoming a huge problem, because retail pharmacy is becoming saturated. These schools began opening because Walgreens and CVS were going to open 10,000 stores a piece, and they were attempting to fill that void. CVS and Walgreens changed their plans once the economy took a turn for the worse.

Walmart is another factor that play apart in retail saturation. Walmart sells its generic meds for $4 knowing they won't make much of a profit off of it. They know that people will not mind waiting 30 mins there and know they will shop while they wait (this is where they make their money). Stores like CVS and Walgreens can't do that. If they were to sell generic meds at $4, there wouldn't be enough profit to pay the pharmacists and the techs to run the place. They can't use Walmart's strategy, because they do not have a big store like Walmart that sell a lot of items at a discounted price. You can only imagine what this type of practice is doing to mom and pop pharmacy stores. Insurance is another problem, but I won't go into that.

I now work in the hospital setting. The big headache are the nurses. Yes, there is a silent war that goes on between pharmacists and nurses (depending which hospital you are at). They feel we think we know it all when it comes to meds. We should since we went to school 3 to 4 years for it. One nurse called the pharmacy and asked me: "how do I make a 5mg tablet into a 25mg tablet." When I told her that was like asking me how to make one cookie into five cookies, she got angry at me. LOL... I digress..

At one point, all you had to do was graduate pharmacy school, pass the boards and there would be jobs lined up at your door offering sign on bonuses. Now, it's not like that any more...

Pros:
I love working in the hospital. I am a clinical pharmacist. I work mostly in the psych ward, but I help in other areas too. Just seeing how you help change a person health is a great experience. Yes, the money is good (not as great as retail), but honestly, I didn't get into pharmacy for the money. I enjoy helping people. When I make my rounds and I see patients in a coma, and when I come back a few days later and see that same patient awake, it makes me smile. It is a great feeling knowing that I played a part in helping save someone's family member life.
 02-15-2013, 07:40 PMaway - #24
Crankdatkfc 23 heat pts23

  d 
space
$2,968 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by me707
I am a pharmacist. Let me give you some pros and cons here, so you really know what you are getting into.

1st: You need to have a passion for pharmacy. I spent my first two years working in retail (CVS and Walgreens). The money was great, but it was too routine. Plus I had to deal with angry patients who didn't mind waiting at the physician's office, but it was too much to wait for me to fill their prescription. Go and shadow a pharmacist in different areas to make sure this is what you want to do.

Cons:
As someone mentioned here, it is about time management. I was taking 9 classes my first semester of pharmacy school, and was expected to do community service work, and do an internship for the 1st 3 Tuesdays. My time management skills were horrible then. I relied heavily on energy drinks, and that stopped working (lol I woke up one night still holding a half of can). If you fall behind on studying, you are screwed. The amount of information that they will throw at you is impossible to memorize last min.

Also as someone suggested, go to a school that's been open for quite some time. Right now there are still pharmacy schools opening. This is becoming a huge problem, because retail pharmacy is becoming saturated. These schools began opening because Walgreens and CVS were going to open 10,000 stores a piece, and they were attempting to fill that void. CVS and Walgreens changed their plans once the economy took a turn for the worse.

Walmart is another factor that play apart in retail saturation. Walmart sells its generic meds for $4 knowing they won't make much of a profit off of it. They know that people will not mind waiting 30 mins there and know they will shop while they wait (this is where they make their money). Stores like CVS and Walgreens can't do that. If they were to sell generic meds at $4, there wouldn't be enough profit to pay the pharmacists and the techs to run the place. They can't use Walmart's strategy, because they do not have a big store like Walmart that sell a lot of items at a discounted price. You can only imagine what this type of practice is doing to mom and pop pharmacy stores. Insurance is another problem, but I won't go into that.

I now work in the hospital setting. The big headache are the nurses. Yes, there is a silent war that goes on between pharmacists and nurses (depending which hospital you are at). They feel we think we know it all when it comes to meds. We should since we went to school 3 to 4 years for it. One nurse called the pharmacy and asked me: "how do I make a 5mg tablet into a 25mg tablet." When I told her that was like asking me how to make one cookie into five cookies, she got angry at me. LOL... I digress..

At one point, all you had to do was graduate pharmacy school, pass the boards and there would be jobs lined up at your door offering sign on bonuses. Now, it's not like that any more...

Pros:
I love working in the hospital. I am a clinical pharmacist. I work mostly in the psych ward, but I help in other areas too. Just seeing how you help change a person health is a great experience. Yes, the money is good (not as great as retail), but honestly, I didn't get into pharmacy for the money. I enjoy helping people. When I make my rounds and I see patients in a coma, and when I come back a few days later and see that same patient awake, it makes me smile. It is a great feeling knowing that I played a part in helping save someone's family member life.
ni##a, just tell us how much you make
 02-15-2013, 08:00 PMaway - #25
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$5,053 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Crankdatkfc
ni##a, just tell us how much you make
BX is ####ing ruthless
 02-15-2013, 08:03 PMaway - #26
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$5,053 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Counterfeit215
What percentage of carpenters are making close to 100 K? Even union guys aren't clearing that now a days.

55% Of new start up businesses fail within the first year.

And I'd rather be a "slave" with a Salary then doing laboring most of my life, and not being able to enjoy my later years.

Work smarter, not harder you ####ing moron.
dont let this guy derail this thread man...ignore him
 02-15-2013, 11:45 PMaway - #27
Icevyne25 

  d 
space
$66 | 218334
I'm actually applying to pharmacy schools this fall after i take the pcat.
 02-16-2013, 10:45 AMaway - #28
SickBlitz 13 heat pts13

  d 
space
$2,208 | 14451128
my moms a pharmacist and she balls
 02-17-2013, 11:04 AMaway - #29
253xLonghair3 7 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,149 | 9893041
national average 112k
 02-17-2013, 08:01 PMaway - #30
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$5,053 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 253xLonghair3
national average 112k


but I am always above average in anything I do
 02-22-2013, 08:00 PMaway - #31
stopfakin83 

  d 
space
$226 | 588224
Originally Posted by me707
I am a pharmacist. Let me give you some pros and cons here, so you really know what you are getting into.

1st: You need to have a passion for pharmacy. I spent my first two years working in retail (CVS and Walgreens). The money was great, but it was too routine. Plus I had to deal with angry patients who didn't mind waiting at the physician's office, but it was too much to wait for me to fill their prescription. Go and shadow a pharmacist in different areas to make sure this is what you want to do.

Cons:
As someone mentioned here, it is about time management. I was taking 9 classes my first semester of pharmacy school, and was expected to do community service work, and do an internship for the 1st 3 Tuesdays. My time management skills were horrible then. I relied heavily on energy drinks, and that stopped working (lol I woke up one night still holding a half of can). If you fall behind on studying, you are screwed. The amount of information that they will throw at you is impossible to memorize last min.

Also as someone suggested, go to a school that's been open for quite some time. Right now there are still pharmacy schools opening. This is becoming a huge problem, because retail pharmacy is becoming saturated. These schools began opening because Walgreens and CVS were going to open 10,000 stores a piece, and they were attempting to fill that void. CVS and Walgreens changed their plans once the economy took a turn for the worse.

Walmart is another factor that play apart in retail saturation. Walmart sells its generic meds for $4 knowing they won't make much of a profit off of it. They know that people will not mind waiting 30 mins there and know they will shop while they wait (this is where they make their money). Stores like CVS and Walgreens can't do that. If they were to sell generic meds at $4, there wouldn't be enough profit to pay the pharmacists and the techs to run the place. They can't use Walmart's strategy, because they do not have a big store like Walmart that sell a lot of items at a discounted price. You can only imagine what this type of practice is doing to mom and pop pharmacy stores. Insurance is another problem, but I won't go into that.

I now work in the hospital setting. The big headache are the nurses. Yes, there is a silent war that goes on between pharmacists and nurses (depending which hospital you are at). They feel we think we know it all when it comes to meds. We should since we went to school 3 to 4 years for it. One nurse called the pharmacy and asked me: "how do I make a 5mg tablet into a 25mg tablet." When I told her that was like asking me how to make one cookie into five cookies, she got angry at me. LOL... I digress..

At one point, all you had to do was graduate pharmacy school, pass the boards and there would be jobs lined up at your door offering sign on bonuses. Now, it's not like that any more...

Pros:
I love working in the hospital. I am a clinical pharmacist. I work mostly in the psych ward, but I help in other areas too. Just seeing how you help change a person health is a great experience. Yes, the money is good (not as great as retail), but honestly, I didn't get into pharmacy for the money. I enjoy helping people. When I make my rounds and I see patients in a coma, and when I come back a few days later and see that same patient awake, it makes me smile. It is a great feeling knowing that I played a part in helping save someone's family member life.
Appreciate the great input. I work at the hospital as a technician and that thing about the nurses is spot on. I'm taking a different route from pharmacy and going to PA school
 02-22-2013, 08:17 PMaway - #32
MyStYlEaRt 

  d 
space
$3,165 | 7522750
Originally Posted by me707
I am a pharmacist. Let me give you some pros and cons here, so you really know what you are getting into.

1st: You need to have a passion for pharmacy. I spent my first two years working in retail (CVS and Walgreens). The money was great, but it was too routine. Plus I had to deal with angry patients who didn't mind waiting at the physician's office, but it was too much to wait for me to fill their prescription. Go and shadow a pharmacist in different areas to make sure this is what you want to do.

Cons:
As someone mentioned here, it is about time management. I was taking 9 classes my first semester of pharmacy school, and was expected to do community service work, and do an internship for the 1st 3 Tuesdays. My time management skills were horrible then. I relied heavily on energy drinks, and that stopped working (lol I woke up one night still holding a half of can). If you fall behind on studying, you are screwed. The amount of information that they will throw at you is impossible to memorize last min.

Also as someone suggested, go to a school that's been open for quite some time. Right now there are still pharmacy schools opening. This is becoming a huge problem, because retail pharmacy is becoming saturated. These schools began opening because Walgreens and CVS were going to open 10,000 stores a piece, and they were attempting to fill that void. CVS and Walgreens changed their plans once the economy took a turn for the worse.

Walmart is another factor that play apart in retail saturation. Walmart sells its generic meds for $4 knowing they won't make much of a profit off of it. They know that people will not mind waiting 30 mins there and know they will shop while they wait (this is where they make their money). Stores like CVS and Walgreens can't do that. If they were to sell generic meds at $4, there wouldn't be enough profit to pay the pharmacists and the techs to run the place. They can't use Walmart's strategy, because they do not have a big store like Walmart that sell a lot of items at a discounted price. You can only imagine what this type of practice is doing to mom and pop pharmacy stores. Insurance is another problem, but I won't go into that.

I now work in the hospital setting. The big headache are the nurses. Yes, there is a silent war that goes on between pharmacists and nurses (depending which hospital you are at). They feel we think we know it all when it comes to meds. We should since we went to school 3 to 4 years for it. One nurse called the pharmacy and asked me: "how do I make a 5mg tablet into a 25mg tablet." When I told her that was like asking me how to make one cookie into five cookies, she got angry at me. LOL... I digress..

At one point, all you had to do was graduate pharmacy school, pass the boards and there would be jobs lined up at your door offering sign on bonuses. Now, it's not like that any more...

Pros:
I love working in the hospital. I am a clinical pharmacist. I work mostly in the psych ward, but I help in other areas too. Just seeing how you help change a person health is a great experience. Yes, the money is good (not as great as retail), but honestly, I didn't get into pharmacy for the money. I enjoy helping people. When I make my rounds and I see patients in a coma, and when I come back a few days later and see that same patient awake, it makes me smile. It is a great feeling knowing that I played a part in helping save someone's family member life.
Yea I definitely hear you on us nurses. Coming straight out of school I had a lot of questions about meds and things of that nature that other nurses and MD's couldn't answer. Often times I would call the pharmacist and they didn't have an exact answer either. I've learned since then. We all know a little bit but together we know alot.
 02-22-2013, 08:21 PMonline - #33
Blockburner28 44 heat pts44

  d 
space
$10,997 | POWERFUL
Don't do anything in life for just the money. Do it cause you love it and it won't feel like work.
 02-22-2013, 08:48 PMaway - #34
MrPeePee 

  d 
space
$395 | 1407191
Been a pharmacist for ~8 months and love it so far. School was tough and not as fun of an experience as most kids have, but like others have said, it is just a lot of memorization and time management.
 02-23-2013, 10:07 AMaway - #35
niceguy954 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$5,053 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Blockburner28
Don't do anything in life for just the money. Do it cause you love it and it won't feel like work.
or just make sure that you have a great after hours from work life (good hobbies)..

but I do like my job...love..unless you own your own business or in a social service career then I don't think anyone loves their job..
 
New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
63 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
61 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
88 comments
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 1 minute ago - 79 comments - by YungPrinceNY
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 24 minutes ago - 100 comments - by QB Eagles
  Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta (prod. Soundwave X Thunder...
New reply 1 minute ago - 93 comments - by mdemaz
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 24 minutes ago - 184 comments - by SpazzOut
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 194 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside 10 Hours Of Walking Around Nyc As A Woman (ny Niggas A...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 313 comments - by Tastemaker331
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 82 comments - by The Bully
 NBA Miami Was Using That Fake Crowd Noise Last Night
New reply 1 hour ago - 93 comments - by st21

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

 Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.