This is BX @ Boxden.com

1 year in the work force and here's what I learned so far...

1 year in the work force and here's what I learned so far...
topic by pnoi89 - 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM - Boxden > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

A quick background on myself. I graduated May 2012 with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering. No internship experience during undergrad, by the way. Let's just say I shotgunned my resume everywhere and fortunately, got my foot in the door with a nice consulting firm in the energy industry (oil/gas/power). And now, after about one year's experience, I'm transitioning into another consulting firm, this time that works purely midstream oil, gas, and water pipelines.

Anyways, here are some things I learned through my journey so far (This definitely applies to anyone in technical design/engineering. Not sure with other fields though.):

In terms of resumes,

1. Despite what people say about putting your work experience on the top of your resume over your education, still keep your educational accolades at the top of your resume (Degree, Certifications, etc.).

2. Don't stress with going over 2 pages on your resume. If it's needed to expand on your skills, then 2 pages is fine. Especially since most of the time, you'll end up sending over your resume to someone electronically rather than giving them a paper copy.

3. Your resume should be filled with descriptions upon descriptions regarding your skills and experiences. EVERYTHING you can think of (of course, try not to be redundant). It may seem that your resume will look wordy, but that doesn't really matter, from what I learned.

In terms of my job search philosophies,

1. Carry business cards with your contact info over paper resumes. It's a MUCH better networking tool. Trust me, nowadays, if they want your resume, they'll ask you to send it via email.

2. Skills and education are important. Knowing the right people is important. But also, reputation of the company you worked for in the past can be a benefit as well. Example? This first company who hired me out of college was the reason I got an interview with this new company in the first place.

3. Some companies post their open positions online (craigslist, Indeed, their website, etc.) and then some never post theirs to the public. Meaning that they only hire through staffing agencies and/or through internal referrals. So if you're looking for a job, don't sleep on staffing agencies!

4. Step up your social skills. If they like you, chances are, even more doors will open up for you.

5. Second interviews don't mean !!. The two companies I've interviewed in the past (both are very large engineering companies), where one of them even flew me out to Texas for a second interview. Don't get your hopes up when this happens. This just means the competition is fierce and they couldn't decide and need to weed more people out for their selection pool. The two jobs I have gotten so far were quick interviews and got a response within a day or two. Then again, these companies aren't as large though.

So yeah, I had some free time today and decided to spread my knowledge on this to you guys. Take it for what it is and hopefully some of you guys can find this useful! Especially since the job market is rough and the competition is fierce nowadays. Good luck everyone.

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

17 comments for "1 year in the work force and here's what I learned so far..."

03-16-2013, 08:35 PMaway - #2
JrEALERS 5544 

d 
space
$416 | 603330
Nice details believed ever word smart guy
 03-16-2013, 08:46 PMaway - #3
Alerts 142 heat pts142

d 
space
$7,218 | POWERFUL
Wow, can you be my mentor?
 03-19-2013, 12:50 AMaway - #4
ColeWorld 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$6,908 | POWERFUL
Good !!!
 03-19-2013, 02:44 PMaway - #5
NoName 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$1,090 | 20593485
Originally Posted by pnoi89
1. Carry business cards with your contact info over paper resumes. It's a MUCH better networking tool. Trust me, nowadays, if they want your resume, they'll ask you to send it via email.
cosign. I drop my card everywhere I go anyways but this is becoming the new trend, especially if you are in an industry where headhunters are seeking people in your field
 04-13-2013, 03:36 AMaway - #6
misterethoughts 

d 
space
$46 | 29642
Good !!! Thank ya!
 04-13-2013, 10:55 AMaway - #7
606robin 5 heat pts

d 
space
$1,799 | 6148681
Get this man a beer, Very encouraging and great info
 04-14-2013, 09:19 PMaway - #8
DrX 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$34,929 | POWERFUL
man.....!! a job
 04-14-2013, 09:21 PMaway - #9
BayArea51 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$5,188 | POWERFUL
/sub to read later thanks
 04-14-2013, 10:09 PMaway - #10
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts

d 
space
$6,423 | 20350065
Yeah, multiple interviews aren't a given you will get the job. It is somewhat a good sign, though. The company I currently work for all three of the head people interviewed me and sure enough I got the job.
 04-15-2013, 09:22 AMaway - #11
I_REP_VA 6 heat pts

d 
space
$5,118 | 14506055
2 years working corporate....

I learned a lot of patience and controlling my ego. I learned how to eat a lot of !!.

Attitude and work ethic >>>> skills.

It's all about work ethic ladies and gentlemen. That's the formula.

Can't wait til I figure out a way to work for myself..

Last edited by I_REP_VA; 04-15-2013 at 09:28 AM..
 04-16-2013, 01:20 PMaway - #12
Keno024 6 heat pts

d 
space
$4,219 | 9752169
Thanks for the advice.
 04-22-2013, 11:48 PMaway - #13
indagame 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,921 | 4325954
in the engineering field though
you must be doing good for yourself
 04-26-2013, 12:20 AMonline - #14
pnoi89 2 heat pts

d 
space
$7,018 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by I_REP_VA
2 years working corporate....

I learned a lot of patience and controlling my ego. I learned how to eat a lot of !!.

Attitude and work ethic >>>> skills.

It's all about work ethic ladies and gentlemen. That's the formula.

Can't wait til I figure out a way to work for myself..
Completely agreed! People notice when you have a genuine work ethic and it definitely pays off.

But you also can't neglect the importance of skills though. If your work ethic isn't helping increase your skills, then you'll eventually hit a wall. Companies appreciate hard work ethic, but they also appreciate quality work as well.

And without skills, it'd be a tad difficult to work for yourself too!

Originally Posted by d3athb4dishonor
Yeah, multiple interviews aren't a given you will get the job. It is somewhat a good sign, though. The company I currently work for all three of the head people interviewed me and sure enough I got the job.
Sometimes. All the positions I had multiple interviews, I ended up not getting an offer. I feel like it's showing that the company is hesitant to pull the trigger on you or just buying some time to see if they can find a better candidate.

Originally Posted by indagame
in the engineering field though
you must be doing good for yourself
Thanks! So far, I'm loving my new company! Great compensation for an entry-level position, great co-workers, interesting work, and reliable/knowledgeable senior management.

They do put you to work. Not really cause I'm a new guy, but good god, there's just so much !! to do to get !! done that it gets pretty stressful sometimes to meet client deadlines

Last edited by pnoi89; 04-26-2013 at 12:54 AM..
 04-26-2013, 03:09 PMaway - #15
indagame 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,921 | 4325954
Thanks! So far, I'm loving my new company! Great compensation for an entry-level position, great co-workers, interesting work, and reliable/knowledgeable senior management.

They do put you to work. Not really cause I'm a new guy, but good god, there's just so much !! to do to get !! done that it gets pretty stressful sometimes to meet client deadlines
I'm sure every job has it's stressful moments especially when you're just starting. But if you had the smarts and drive to get through the math/science that you had to complete to get into the field you're in I'm sure you'll get through the tough early goings of your job.

Bese of luck to you
 04-26-2013, 03:09 PMaway - #16
indagame 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,921 | 4325954

I'm sure every job has it's stressful moments especially when you're just starting. But if you had the smarts and drive to get through the math/science that you had to complete to get into the field you're in I'm sure you'll get through the tough early goings of your job.

Best of luck to you
 04-29-2013, 08:45 AMaway - #17
Maddog345 3 heat pts

d 
space
$7,300 | 18511942
Good words of advice

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Money Spot (finance/careers)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
60 comments
NBA James Dolan BLOCKING Phil Jackson from firing Knicks per..
54 comments
NBA Tim Donaghy: NBA has told refs to give Nets calls over R..
53 comments
 NBA Woj: Turner And Stephenson Fist Fought Right Before Pl...
New reply 30 seconds ago - 62 comments - by 44wade
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 6 minutes ago - 140 comments - by JordanWest86
 Video inside Dr. Dre Or Pharrell??
New reply 1 minute ago - 71 comments - by AngOmusic93
  Apr 22 - Close To 50 Shot Over Easter Weekend In Chicago
New reply 7 minutes ago - 54 comments - by tdnupe3
 Video inside Scarface - No Problem (official Music Video)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 56 comments - by SM
 NBA Lakers Sg Kobe Bryant Returns To The Court
New reply 12 minutes ago - 54 comments - by ReggieA
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 5 minutes ago - 135 comments - by donmagic901
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 51 comments - by SM

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,647 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.