b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Why Does Everyone Hate Windows 8? Should I Upgrade
whats popular right now

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech
  
    
          join bx

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Why Does Everyone Hate Windows 8? Should I Upgrade
topic by CadillacVyse - 10-27-2012, 01:25 AM


http://lifehacker.com/5955229/why-do...ould-i-upgrade



Dear Lifehacker,
Windows 8 is out, and it's all anyone's talking about—except everyone just keeps telling me how much it sucks and how I shouldn't upgrade. Why does everyone hate it so much? Should I upgrade, or hold off?
Sincerely,
Worried About Windows

Dear Worried,
Windows 8 is getting a bad rap from a lot of people, but it really does have a lot of good stuff going for it. After all, people hated XP when it came out, too. Here are some of the things people are complaining about, and why they probably don't matter.

Complaint #1: "The Tiled Interface Sucks (and My Start Menu Is Gone!)"
Why People Are Upset: This is the biggest thing people are complaining about. The Start menu is gone, and it's been replaced by a new, full screen, tablet-friendly tiled interface that isn't really that great on a desktop computer. It seems inefficient to go to a full screen interface just to launch an app, especially if you could do the same thing from a small menu on the desktop.

Why It Isn't a Problem: I disagree with Microsoft's choice to get rid of the Start menu. I think it's going to confuse a lot of novice users. However, it's also really, really easy to bring back. In fact, if you download a Start menu replacement, you have a lot more control over what you see in that Start menu, which is actually kind of awesome.

Furthermore, the tiled Start screen—while imperfect—isn't really as bad as everyone's saying it is. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to get around. You can still launch an app by pressing the Windows key and typing the name of the app you want. In fact, it's faster than browsing through the old Start menu, and if you weren't doing it before, you should be. Learn this shortcut. It will become your one true love. Alternatively, you can use an app launcher like Launchy, which pretty much negates the need for a Start menu anyway. All that other stuff in the Start menu, like the Control Panel, PC Info, and Shut Down buttons, can be found in the Charms bar just by pressing Win+C. Easy peasy.

Complaint #2: "There Aren't Any New Desktop Features"
Why People Are Upset: I'm not really sure. There are a lot of new desktop features.

Why It Isn't a Problem: Sure, the tiled interface is the biggest change in the new OS, but there are a lot of other changes too, particularly those that pertain to the desktop—in fact, we've talked about them numerous times. Highlights include:

Better performance. We tested both versions of Windows and found that Windows 8 was faster at pretty much everything. Boot times are a lot faster, which is really nice.
The new Windows Explorer, which has some handy context-sensitive menus that are really nice, not to mention a much better file copy dialog than Windows 7.
The new Task Manager, which gives you tons more information about how your computer's resources are being used.
Better Security. Not only does it have built-in antivirus software, but there are a lot of other things going on under the hood that make it more secure than Windows 7.
Reset & Refresh, the really cool new features that let you do a clean installation of Windows with just the click of a button.
The Windows 8 Store. It may be a full screen app, but it has desktop apps in it too—making it easier to discover new and awesome apps, not to mention read reviews all in one unified place.
File History, a new backup tool that keeps incremental backups of all the files in your libraries. It's not unlike OS X's Time Machine, letting you restore back to any version of a file at any point in time. File History also has a lot of advanced settings, which is awesome.
Even if you bypass the Start screen entirely, there are a lot new features to get excited about in Windows 8. They may not have been as well marketed as the touch features—again, which I think was a mistake—but they are there, and they're worth upgrading for.

Complaint #3: "It's Bad for Gaming"

Why People Are Upset: Gabe Newell, head of Valve (the company that makes video game app store Steam), recently called Windows 8 a "catastrophe", and other game developers joined in synchronized chorus about how Windows 8 is going to destroy our firstborn children and gamers should just stick with Windows 7. Somehow this has led people to believe that gaming is horrible on Windows 8, Steam won't be supported, and that Microsoft is going to close off its system so you can only buy games in the App Store. None of these are true.

Why It Isn't a Problem: In short: people are reading way too much into a few tiny comments. Gaming on Windows 8 is, well, the exact same as gaming on Windows 7. Performance is pretty much the same. Steam works just fine. Valve has made no claims that they won't support Windows 8, and Microsoft has made no claims that they're going to shut Valve out. Valve's anger is understandable—after all, the built-in Windows 8 Store will be a big competitor—but there's no evidence to support that gaming on Windows 8 will be any less than gaming on Windows 7.

So Should You Upgrade?
So now you know that Windows 8 isn't really as bad as everyone says it is. In fact, it's pretty good. But should you upgrade? Well, if your hardware and apps are compatible (which they probably are) and you can spare the $40 to upgrade, yes—we think Windows 8 is well worth the upgrade. Of course, no one's saying you have to—Windows 7 will be supported for awhile—but if you're on the fence, we think you'll like a lot of the new features in Windows 8.

Sincerely,
Lifehacker


The following 4 BX residents gave props to CadillacVyse (Sent To 9,246 Subscribers)  KJHARDY (10-28-2012) , HEAT HOT TOPIC (Blog'd,RSS'd,Tweet'd and Facebook'd)  (10-27-2012) , servesurite (10-27-2012) , Snipper (10-28-2012)

22 comments for "Why Does Everyone Hate Windows 8? Should I Upgrade"


 10-27-2012, 01:43 AMaway - #2
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

  d 
space
$2,580 | 10669062
Windows 8 ads two layers of excellence over Windows 7 its totally worth the 40$
 10-27-2012, 09:06 PMaway - #3
Michael 1987 646 heat pts646

  d 
space
$61,864 | POWERFUL
fu*k that ill wait awhile before switching over.
 10-27-2012, 09:30 PMaway - #4
- JaEdEe24 - 14 heat pts14

  d 
space
$2,383 | POWERFUL
Cuz Apple dun took over!
 10-27-2012, 09:46 PMaway - #5
UrbanGAAWD 197 heat pts197

  d 
space
$6,796 | POWERFUL
Interracial ads nowadays....don draper would flip out

But it's like 15 bucks to upgrade....I might upgrade but I'm buying a Samsung chromebook(the one that just came out) so that will be my light browsing for in class surfing and gonna buy a desktop that I can upgrade around Christmas.....already have an windows 7 laptop...just not seeing the urge to upgrade....maybe after all of that, I'll get a windows 8 laptop

I'll wait a couple of weeks, see people on here and people around my school with windows 8, if it's a good thing, I'll do it but ill wait and see other people's reactions to it, good and bad and I'll make a decision

Last edited by UrbanGAAWD; 10-27-2012 at 10:01 PM..
 10-28-2012, 01:45 AMaway - #6
DrX 56 heat pts56

  d 
space
$34,925 | POWERFUL
interracial ads........


that brotha getting that good white puzzy
 10-28-2012, 01:50 AMaway - #7
Liquid-Science 24 heat pts24

  d 
space
$16,441 | POWERFUL
They should have made Windows 8 a black woman...would have been way more accurate
 10-28-2012, 09:52 AMaway - #8
Coke Wave 13 heat pts13

  d 
space
$3,788 | 16454327
And to these ni**as im like windows 7...

U let em tell it and they swear they invented you
 10-28-2012, 10:40 AMaway - #9
LakerFan 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,735 | 7913473
i think windows 8 looks nice. its gonna be integrated into the new xbox so i might get it. plus i want one of those suface pads to replace my current tablet and i dont fu*k with apple. i saw on best buys website yesterday the normal price for windows 8 is $199.99 but they are selling it for $60 right now.
 10-28-2012, 10:42 AMaway - #10
LakerFan 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,735 | 7913473
Windows 8 ads two layers of excellence over Windows 7 its totally worth the 40$
i have windows 7. where do i get this for $40? Because i have 7 is there some sort of cheaper upgrade thing like i had heard there would be?
 10-28-2012, 10:48 AMaway - #11
Drone 40 heat pts40

  d 
space
$17,093 | POWERFUL
Can't get into windows 8, I think Microsoft dropped the ball. The interface is horrid.
 10-28-2012, 11:01 AMaway - #12
mtva24 135 heat pts135

  d 
space
$5,930 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by LakerFan
i have windows 7. where do i get this for $40? Because i have 7 is there some sort of cheaper upgrade thing like i had heard there would be?
fu*k all that...it cost 14.99 once you put in the promo code

Go here

and just say you bought your computer after June 2. They dont verify or anything...
 10-28-2012, 12:08 PMaway - #13
mr_underground|m 117 heat pts117

  d 
space
$14,733 | POWERFUL
Because humans naturally don't like change. They added a mobile layer on top of what they already had. And people are going crazy over the forced start screen. Its only a one click difference than before.
 10-28-2012, 12:27 PMonline - #14
L.A's HiGhEsT 76 heat pts76

  d 
space
$2,177 | POWERFUL




shyt looks wack, im sticking wit my 7
 10-28-2012, 03:42 PMaway - #15
mr_underground|m 117 heat pts117

  d 
space
$14,733 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by L.A's HiGhEsT


shyt looks wack, im sticking wit my 7
???? just click the desktop button and your back to 7
 10-28-2012, 03:47 PMaway - #16
Walt Thizzney 133 heat pts133

  d 
space
$5,076 | POWERFUL
windows 7 is actually amazing tho fu*k winows 8
 10-28-2012, 05:14 PMonline - #17
VictoryThagr8 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$8,697 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mr_underground
???? just click the desktop button and your back to 7
That will not work because window 7 is a more efficient on ram and processing than window 8.
 10-28-2012, 05:44 PMaway - #18
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

  d 
space
$2,580 | 10669062
Originally Posted by VictoryThagr8
That will not work because window 7 is a more efficient on ram and processing than window 8.
I don't know about that.
 10-28-2012, 06:30 PMonline - #19
KJHARDY 63 heat pts63

  d 
space
$7,803 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by VictoryThagr8
That will not work because window 7 is a more efficient on ram and processing than window 8.
And Vista has less that both. I am upgrading ASAP.
 10-28-2012, 06:38 PMonline - #20
VictoryThagr8 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$8,697 | POWERFUL


Oh yeah this will sh*t on the surface pro
 


 



NFL The OFFICIAL Superbowl XLIX Thread: New England Patriots..
1018 comments
Image inside  Is it safe to say Fab got the best style in rap?
133 comments
Image inside  Asap Rocky still clowning Oddfather 50
120 comments
 NFL Cris Carter On Josh Gordon: 'i'm Only Going To Talk Ab...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 86 comments - by Steve
  Chromecast Is Now The No. 1 Streaming Device In The U....
New reply 31 minutes ago - 54 comments - by mtva24
  Bobbi Kristina Brown Found Unresponsive, Rushed To Hos...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 100 comments - by Blind Butchie
 NBA Players You Thought Would Be A Bust......but Werent
New reply 34 minutes ago - 149 comments - by NLSP42
 NBA Hawks Make History
New reply 21 minutes ago - 111 comments - by ImAMonster
 NFL What Are You Fat Asses Going To Eat During The Super B...
New reply 35 minutes ago - 79 comments - by Nugit
 Article inside Pusha T: 'notorious B.i.g. Was The Greatest Rapper Who...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 129 comments - by VA Prime
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Getting At A$ap Rocky 😆😆ԅ...
New reply 53 minutes ago - 347 comments - by shellz386
last 48 hours

like bx on facebook


follow bx on twitter
5,931 fans of BX | none new today 4,909 following and 5 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement   |   Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.