b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

What Should You Buy? Microsoft Surface RT vs. Apple iPad 4


People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech
  
    
          join bx

share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 What Should You Buy? Microsoft Surface RT vs. Apple iPad 4
topic by GoldRush - 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM




So, today represents a pretty big day for Microsoft, as it marks not only the official launch of Windows 8, but itís also the launch day for their Surface RT tablet. I still think that the starting price on the Microsoft Surface should have been closer to $299, but in the $499 range, it competes directly against the recently announced fourth-generation iPad rather than the also recently announced iPad Mini. So, how does it compare?

As far as outward dimensions, theyíre comparable but different. Theyíre both 9.4mm thick, but the Surface RT takes on a 16:9 aspect ratio, making it narrower and longer compared to the more shorter and wider iPad 4. The weight is also comparable at 680g (Surface) vs. 653g (iPad). While the 9.7-inch iPad has a much more impressive resolution of 2048◊1536 (264ppi) compared to the 1366◊768 resolution (148ppi) on the 10.6-inch Surface, the ClearType tech is supposed to make the Surface look sharper than it really is.

Raw power should also be comparable with the iPad 4 getting the dual core Apple A6X processor (presumably running at 1.3GHz) along with quad-core GPU. The Surface RT gets a quad core NVIDIA Tegra 3 (1.4GHz) chip, which is similar to what you find on many current high-end smartphones and tablets. The Surface RT does have double the RAM at 2GB, though, compared to what we think is the same single gig on the iPad 4 as was there in the iPad 3.


Apple is notorious for not providing a memory card slot and that hasnít changed in the fourth-gen iPad. You get the 16GB, 32GB or 64GB thatís already on board, compared to the microSD slot on the Surface RT to complement its 32GB or 64GB of internal storage. The iPad is available with 3G/LTE though, whereas the Surface is currently a WiFi-only device. The iPad also sounds like it wins in the camera department too with a 5MP rear (1080p) and 1.2MP front (720p) shooter, whereas both Surface cameras are 720p. They havenít specified the actual megapixel count.

Of course, there are all those other things that you need to consider. The iPad has access to a tremendously huge App Store, whereas the Windows Marketplace for RT is not nearly as developed, especially since RT canít run native Windows programs. That said, the Surface has the cool Touch Cover and Type Cover, and you do get a version of Microsoft Office right out of the box.

At the end of the day, which tablet you choose really depends on your needs and preferences. And letís not forget about the plethora of Android options too, like the less expensive Nexus 7 or possibly the upcoming Nexus 10, as well as trusty standbys like the Galaxy Tab and Asus Transformer Pad families. Whatever the case, it looks like this could be a great holiday shopping season for tablet lovers.
What Should You Buy? Microsoft Surface RT vs. Apple iPad 4 - Mobile Magazine


20 comments for "What Should You Buy? Microsoft Surface RT vs. Apple iPad 4"


 10-27-2012, 04:19 AMaway - #2
Dangerously 208 heat pts208

  d 
space
$46,263 | POWERFUL
I think it really depends upon the user. I think the iPad has the early edge with apps and how refined the OS is. I have a feeling once Windows 8/RT hits its stride and a few service packs go out they might offer up some real competition.

I already think Windows 8's UI is the ultimate tablet platform, they just need to work the bugs out and get more apps.
 10-27-2012, 09:34 AMaway - #3
mtbatol 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,668 | 16355849
iPad easily

If this is Windows 8 itself and not the RT ish? Then this would be lopsided the other way around... but RT doesn't even seem to deliver the core Windows ish one would want to expect yet e.g. windows file explorer. Let along TONS of common apps on iOS & Android being sh!tty 3rd parties or no-shows.

That can very well change in a bit but until then it's Windows 8 itself or bleh
 10-27-2012, 10:26 AMaway - #4
UrbanGAAWD 197 heat pts197

  d 
space
$6,701 | POWERFUL
This is an android forum basically....we don't condone lame iPad/Apple bull#### lol

I'll be honest, iPad came out first and had it down but I think Microsoft and Google both caught up and all 3 devices(Nexus 10, iPad 4 and Surface) are good at what they do....if you a heavy user of Google or Windows then the surface might be good, iPads are too closed off and not worth it with no sd slot, no flash, can't use anything other than safari for web surfing, etc...Surface won this round...but I'm getting a chromebook instead of anything lol
 10-27-2012, 10:37 AMaway - #5
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

  d 
space
$2,575 | 10564054
I like my Surface RT man its slick a lot of different ways to use it.

A lot of people complain about the "lack of apps" but people are quick to forget that Surface has a full blown IE10 browser which you can use for social networking etc

With Xbox Music it also allows you to stream albums for free but if you buy the 99$ pass you can download albums no problem.

Surface also allows you to add Micro SD storage and you can plug your USB peripherals into it.

Hardware is great, Software is great (new apps are added everyday) also has things like snap view where you can be browsing the web and snap twitter, Skype or messenger. Pretty sick for live events catch the Lakers game have BX opened in IE10 and twitter snapped on the side.

Slick man
 10-27-2012, 10:42 AMaway - #6
Hovi Bryant 240 heat pts240

  d 
space
$19,768 | POWERFUL
If you want a tablet, then it's not the surface. The surface is a PC in the shell of a tablet. Nothing wrong with that, but users shouldn't expect it to do one thing exceptionally well.
 10-27-2012, 11:48 AMaway - #7
x Tha Arkitek x 29 heat pts29

  d 
space
$13,761 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mtbatol
iPad easily

If this is Windows 8 itself and not the RT ish? Then this would be lopsided the other way around... but RT doesn't even seem to deliver the core Windows ish one would want to expect yet e.g. windows file explorer. Let along TONS of common apps on iOS & Android being sh!tty 3rd parties or no-shows.

That can very well change in a bit but until then it's Windows 8 itself or bleh
Windows RT does have a file explorer. I currently have my Ubuntu File Server mapped to my Surface & it's joined to my Windows 7 homegroup (which I'm using right now to connect to my HTPC to copy Movies to the 64GB microSDXC card I have loaded in my Surface) Additionally, why would you need to do what the Windows Core does? Windows RT is about the Windows Store apps & new modern start screen. This isn't meant to be used primarily as a laptop (one because thats not what it is). iOS doesn't deliver core OSX stuff --- is that a down fall? People keep speaking on things they don't understand

Originally Posted by Hovi Bryant
If you want a tablet, then it's not the surface. The surface is a PC in the shell of a tablet. Nothing wrong with that, but users shouldn't expect it to do one thing exceptionally well.
The Surface with Windows RT is a tablet that offers the added (but minimal) functionality of a Windows Laptop (Office 2013 RT, File Explorer, Homegroup & a functional mouse/keyboard --- speaking of the keyboard, it surprisingly works really well for typing). Surface with Windows 8 Pro would be a PC in the shell of a tablet.
 10-27-2012, 12:42 PMaway - #8
KURUPTION!!! 486 heat pts486

  d 
space
$33,205 | POWERFUL
Is there any type of option like Air Play for those Surface tabs? I need this in my life, but I love my Air Play on my iPad.
 10-27-2012, 03:52 PMaway - #9
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

  d 
space
$2,575 | 10564054
Originally Posted by KURUPTION!!!
Is there any type of option like Air Play for those Surface tabs? I need this in my life, but I love my Air Play on my iPad.
If you have an Xbox 360 you can use Smart Glass




 10-27-2012, 08:35 PMaway - #10
KURUPTION!!! 486 heat pts486

  d 
space
$33,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ggfresh
If you have an Xbox 360 you can use Smart Glass

I'm pretty sure that only works with content from their store I could be wrong though. I tried the App on my SIII and was not impressed, but it's early. Still though, Air play let you play video from a bunch of different sources from your iPad to your Apple TV.
 10-27-2012, 08:38 PMaway - #11
Venom 29 heat pts29

  d 
space
$13,100 | POWERFUL
by ipad 4? you mean the ipad 3 but with the lighting port?


innovation
 10-27-2012, 08:53 PMaway - #12
Lannister 25 heat pts25

  d 
space
$4,076 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dangerously
I think it really depends upon the user. I think the iPad has the early edge with apps and how refined the OS is. I have a feeling once Windows 8/RT hits its stride and a few service packs go out they might offer up some real competition.

I already think Windows 8's UI is the ultimate tablet platform, they just need to work the bugs out and get more apps.
this.
 10-27-2012, 09:48 PMaway - #13
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

  d 
space
$2,575 | 10564054
Originally Posted by Lannister
this.
If your not big into apps Surface is just fine. Full functioning IE10 browser makes up for a lot of the missing apps.
 10-27-2012, 10:08 PMaway - #14
Walt Thizzney 133 heat pts133

  d 
space
$5,076 | POWERFUL
at the end of the day Microsoft UI is junk.. just look at the garbage that is XBOX, windows 7 is straight because it acts like Windows XP, windows 8 is another waste of time, Ipad dont get me started... Android is the future
 10-27-2012, 10:09 PMaway - #15
Walt Thizzney 133 heat pts133

  d 
space
$5,076 | POWERFUL
nexus 10>>>
 10-27-2012, 10:18 PMaway - #16
daluckychild 14 heat pts14

  d 
space
$599 | 9889514
Im not an Apple hater but i cant justify paying 3X the cost for something that only looks better. All apple products are closed off and open source is what people want these days. When people say I bought an apple because it doesn't crash or get viruses.... i immediately think your an idiot that doesn't know how to use computers.
 10-28-2012, 10:07 AMaway - #17
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

  d 
space
$27,217 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Walt Thizzney
at the end of the day Microsoft UI is junk.. just look at the garbage that is XBOX, windows 7 is straight because it acts like Windows XP, windows 8 is another waste of time, Ipad dont get me started... Android is the future
This ni##a called the Xbox dashboard garbage.
 10-28-2012, 10:20 AMaway - #18
VictoryThagr8 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$8,598 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ggfresh
I like my Surface RT man its slick a lot of different ways to use it.

A lot of people complain about the "lack of apps" but people are quick to forget that Surface has a full blown IE10 browser which you can use for social networking etc

With Xbox Music it also allows you to stream albums for free but if you buy the 99$ pass you can download albums no problem.

Surface also allows you to add Micro SD storage and you can plug your USB peripherals into it.

Hardware is great, Software is great (new apps are added everyday) also has things like snap view where you can be browsing the web and snap twitter, Skype or messenger. Pretty sick for live events catch the Lakers game have BX opened in IE10 and twitter snapped on the side.

Slick man
wow a full blown internet explorer 10.

I rather use the full blown Google Chrome for metro than ie10.
 10-28-2012, 10:35 AMaway - #19
Sabotage 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$17,094 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ggfresh
If your not big into apps Surface is just fine. Full functioning IE10 browser makes up for a lot of the missing apps.
internet explorer ANYTHING does not make up for anything. IE sucks and will always suck
 10-28-2012, 10:36 AMaway - #20
Sabotage 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$17,094 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by daluckychild
Im not an Apple hater but i cant justify paying 3X the cost for something that only looks better. All apple products are closed off and open source is what people want these days. When people say I bought an apple because it doesn't crash or get viruses.... i immediately think your an idiot that doesn't know how to use computers.
I would not go around calling people idiots when you do not know the difference between "your" and you're"
 

 



Image inside  Dec 17 - Obama: As a black man he's been mistaken for..
51 comments
So, "The Interview" will get a VOD/DVD release, right?? Um......
85 comments
NFL NFL twitter: 8 suitors for Jay Cutler but...
83 comments
  Sony Leak: Denzel Washington Should Not Be Given Lead ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 129 comments - by Dead Masons
 Image(s) inside Instagram Exposes Mase For Buying Fake Followers
New reply 17 minutes ago - 103 comments - by Frankybaby
 NBA Lebron Getting Real Spicy After The Blowout Lost To Th...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 76 comments - by The Boat
  Dec 17 - 14 Year Old Black Boy Executed For Murder, Cl...
New reply 19 minutes ago - 111 comments - by Roo 50
  Meek Mill Comments On Bobby Shmurda's Arrest
New reply 15 minutes ago - 169 comments - by A.Dot789
  Dec 17 - Breaking News: Us & Cuba To Resume Diplom...
New reply 27 minutes ago - 108 comments - by Agentzer0oo0
 Video inside [exclusive] New Video Of Bobby Shmurda & Gs9 Being...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 251 comments - by sdot216
 Image(s) inside Man Spends $200,000 On Surgery To Look Like Kim Kardas...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Ole-G

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,901 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,848 following | none new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.