This is BX @ Boxden.com


T-Mobile will no longer subsidize handsets in 2013


 T-Mobile will no longer subsidize handsets in 2013
topic by Adamsville - 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM - Boxden > BX Tech






We're hearing a ton of interesting information about T-Mobile's plans for the future today as part of Deutsche Telekom's analyst conference, and this may be the biggest yet. Starting in 2013, T-Mobile USA will no longer be subsidizing handsets with 2-year contracts, and will instead sell devices at full price or on installments. This means that devices and service will be completely separate going forward.

This is almost a carbon copy of its current "Value Plan" offerings, which give you cheaper monthly service prices (generally $20-$30 less) when you buy a phone full-priced or bring your own -- a model international users will be familiar with. T-Mobile said that 80-percent of its new line activations were on Value Plans in the last quarter, which means that this won't be too big of a shift from the way they're currently operating.

To the end user, the overall cost of smartphone ownership for the 2-year contract period will decrease, even when buying a device with monthly installments. Real savings can be had when holding onto a device for a longer period of time as well. The real roadblock here is going to be one of consumer education on the part of T-Mobile, which needs to explain to customers the benefits of this model. U.S. wireless customers are very comfortable with the idea of a subsidized handset that is bundled together with service.

T-Mobile going hard in 2013: $4.7 billion in spending cash, new 4G markets, LTE, and no more discounted devices


share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

37 comments for "T-Mobile will no longer subsidize handsets in 2013"


 12-06-2012, 08:57 PMaway - #2
Venom 29 heat pts29

  d 
space
$12,989 | POWERFUL
yeaaaa, im stay with my classic plan though, with the way i am switching phone every 2 years, dont see how this would benefit me
 12-06-2012, 10:01 PMaway - #3
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

  d 
space
$24,057 | POWERFUL
Gon be a lot of ni##as with old phones on T-Mobile.
 12-06-2012, 10:11 PMaway - #4
mtbatol 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,526 | 15408281
Did this with the Note 2 since I can see myself with this phone for a good minute, considering I was happy with my previous phone for 2 years (Mytouch 4G).

I'll body the balance of my phone by the spring next year & enjoy the low rates later
 12-07-2012, 01:05 PMaway - #5
datnolaboy 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,586 | 6775730
Originally Posted by Venom
yeaaaa, im stay with my classic plan though, with the way i am switching phone every 2 years, dont see how this would benefit me
This.

I was telling wifey the same thing. By the time you pay your 20 installments a new, better phone will be available so you never see those savings you WOULD GET with the lower plan.
This is just their way of recouping more of their device cost.
 12-07-2012, 01:27 PMaway - #6
quintosis03 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,035 | 10371646
Originally Posted by datnolaboy
This.

I was telling wifey the same thing. By the time you pay your 20 installments a new, better phone will be available so you never see those savings you WOULD GET with the lower plan.
This is just their way of recouping more of their device cost.
i knew it was something fishy about those ####ers trying to get my gf to switch to that value plan. they were trying to word it all crazy and it confused me for a minute . yall t-mobile people better grandfather that ####.
 12-07-2012, 09:43 PMaway - #7
Cipherr 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,894 | 13053683
I have been dropping full price for my phones for a long while now. At least 3 or 4 years. The dusty broke ni##as bout to have a fit though.

ni##as better go hit up Boost Mobile or Cricket or some ####
 12-07-2012, 10:17 PMaway - #8
Adamsville 113 heat pts113

  d 
space
$10,806 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cipherr
I have been dropping full price for my phones for a long while now. At least 3 or 4 years. The dusty broke ni##as bout to have a fit though.

ni##as better go hit up Boost Mobile or Cricket or some ####

 12-08-2012, 08:13 AMaway - #9
datnolaboy 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,586 | 6775730
Originally Posted by Cipherr
I have been dropping full price for my phones for a long while now. At least 3 or 4 years. The dusty broke ni##as bout to have a fit though.

ni##as better go hit up Boost Mobile or Cricket or some ####
So does it make you cool or smart to pay full price for a phone you could have 20-40% cheaper. Which one, so I can give you props for it?
 12-08-2012, 12:48 PMaway - #10
Quddus 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$4,824 | 11725062
if you have a decent phone there is really no need to change phones every two years now. Only if you just have to have the latest toys but phones are not that leaps and above others to warrant signing a new contract. I had a droid Razr Maxx and now I have the Iphone 5.

Honestly if I had too could have stayed with the Razr Maxx
 12-08-2012, 03:13 PMaway - #11
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 20 heat pts20

  d 
space
$3,549 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by datnolaboy
So does it make you cool or smart to pay full price for a phone you could have 20-40% cheaper. Which one, so I can give you props for it?
 12-08-2012, 08:24 PMaway - #12
Jae_Mike 12 heat pts12

  d 
space
$3,308 | 15165045
I work for t-mobile, honestly you do save on value vs classic plans, its just the thought of paying full price weird ppl out. Cats be like by the time i pay off the phone another phone will drop. This is tru but on a classic 2 yr plan it would be the same thing you have to wait for your upgrade. In feb they will start a way to double up on payments to pay your phone off early also.

Example Galaxy Note 2 on Value $699.99 + 69.99 (unl talk, text , web) service x 24 months = $2379.75
Example Galaxy Note 2 Classic $419.99 + 89.99(unl talk, text , web) service x 24 months = $2579.75
Savings of $200 over the two years, so cats save money they just dont understand how

Last edited by Jae_Mike; 12-08-2012 at 08:43 PM..
 12-08-2012, 08:27 PMaway - #13
Jae_Mike 12 heat pts12

  d 
space
$3,308 | 15165045
also cats on att get a discount on the phone and get buttr###d on the plan, tech heads who have to have the latest and greatest are the only ones upset
 12-08-2012, 08:30 PMaway - #14
Adamsville 113 heat pts113

  d 
space
$10,806 | POWERFUL
How much would the down payment be on a NoteII, Jae_Mike? and would you be able to adjust the monthly payments so you can own the phone sooner than 2 years?
 12-08-2012, 08:35 PMonline - #15
P-Hill|M 16 heat pts16

  d 
space
$25,660 | POWERFUL
I'm sticking to my "off contract" buying preferences
 12-08-2012, 08:41 PMaway - #16
Jae_Mike 12 heat pts12

  d 
space
$3,308 | 15165045
Originally Posted by Adamsville
How much would the down payment be on a NoteII, Jae_Mike? and would you be able to adjust the monthly payments so you can own the phone sooner than 2 years?
Note 2 down payment is 299.99 and you get $100 back on mail in rebate visa, the payments are $20 a month, but top of 2013 they gonna start a diff system for equipment payment so you can pay that off early. The unlimited rate plan is $69.99 after $20 equip installment are paid off
 12-08-2012, 11:51 PMaway - #17
RAWshadTX 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$724 | 4325142
What most people don't realize is that even if you stay on the old (classic plans) pricing and still discount for the phone, you're still paying 20 dollars more through out your two year contract and still have to wait 22 months for an UPGRADE vs the new Value plan.

Value plans are automatically 20 dollars cheaper than the Classic plans. So when you do a down payment to get the phone (which is cheaper than the upgrade pricing of the Classic plans plus no upgrade fee) the most you would pay is 20 dollars for 20 months (installments) out of 24. The savings are the 4 months you don't pay the additional 20 dollars.


Most of you ni##as that are use to discounting prices on phones don't realize that you're still basically paying full price of your phone anyways on the bill for 2years.
 12-09-2012, 02:09 AMaway - #18
yeahson 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$265 | 2062818
Originally Posted by Jae_Mike
I work for t-mobile, honestly you do save on value vs classic plans, its just the thought of paying full price weird ppl out. Cats be like by the time i pay off the phone another phone will drop. This is tru but on a classic 2 yr plan it would be the same thing you have to wait for your upgrade. In feb they will start a way to double up on payments to pay your phone off early also.

Example Galaxy Note 2 on Value $699.99 + 69.99 (unl talk, text , web) service x 24 months = $2379.75
Example Galaxy Note 2 Classic $419.99 + 89.99(unl talk, text , web) service x 24 months = $2579.75
Savings of $200 over the two years, so cats save money they just dont understand how
I get what you're saying so what's the best strategy for a person like me who upgrades phones almost every year. I've never had a phone for 2 years. Does that just mean I get the most savings if and only if I get a new phone after 20 months and not any sooner?
 12-09-2012, 02:12 AMaway - #19
paliknight 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$1,495 | 17898632
Originally Posted by RAWshadTX
What most people don't realize is that even if you stay on the old (classic plans) pricing and still discount for the phone, you're still paying 20 dollars more through out your two year contract and still have to wait 22 months for an UPGRADE vs the new Value plan.

Value plans are automatically 20 dollars cheaper than the Classic plans. So when you do a down payment to get the phone (which is cheaper than the upgrade pricing of the Classic plans plus no upgrade fee) the most you would pay is 20 dollars for 20 months (installments) out of 24. The savings are the 4 months you don't pay the additional 20 dollars.


Most of you ni##as that are use to discounting prices on phones don't realize that you're still basically paying full price of your phone anyways on the bill for 2years.
man these guys are idiots. they really think that big corporations are going to give them big discounts on phones out of love for the consumer. you would think that common sense tells you your paying the price of the phone throughout your contract (it just doesnt specify in the agreement), but common sense isnt so common.

for example, when i worked at t-mobile, i would tell customers what do you prefer, to pay 60 a month for the plan and 20 for the phone, or 90 a month for the plan and no monthly payments for the phone? guess what they would go with?
 12-09-2012, 06:20 AMaway - #20
xeduran 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$4,196 | 17812981
Originally Posted by datnolaboy
So does it make you cool or smart to pay full price for a phone you could have 20-40% cheaper. Which one, so I can give you props for it?
Actually after your two year contract you pay more in the end. What you said made zero sense. Paying a phone in full has always been cheaper across two years than upgrading .

So not only do you pay less across two years, but I can leave T-Mobile at any time I want. There are benefits to paying in full. In fact the only reason not to do it is that you are too broke to afford the upfront cost. Even if you switch phones every two years, you would still come out on top by paying in full.

Last edited by xeduran; 12-09-2012 at 06:27 AM..
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Jul 23 - Meet the 19-year-old Chicago teen who may cu..
61 comments
Image inside  Images of Ben Afleck's Costume In Full Color from Bat..
55 comments
Video inside  "NBA Street Vol. 2" Repped for the Old School.
51 comments
 NFL Russell Wilson And Tom Brady Has The Same Rating On Ma...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 76 comments - by Kingpin 313
 Image(s) inside Joe Budden And Ransom Reunite After 7 Years
New reply 19 minutes ago - 114 comments - by Hieroglyphic
 NBA Derrick Rose Is Back. Can't Wait. Must See Video
New reply 10 minutes ago - 100 comments - by MikeJones212
 Image(s) inside Damn Medium Sean That Bi-ch Broke Up With You 3 Months...
New reply 24 minutes ago - 100 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Image(s) inside Dj Mustard - 10 Summers (album Tracklist)
New reply 11 minutes ago - 80 comments - by Fresh Whyte
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 30 minutes ago - 129 comments - by tokinjohn
 F/L My Journey....so Far
New reply 17 minutes ago - 131 comments - by King Jackson
 NBA Report: Lakers Willing To Offer Eric Bledsoe Close To ...
New reply 1 hour ago - 104 comments - by theFREAK

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

 Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.