This is BX @ Boxden.com

Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming

Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming
topic by Firestarr - 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM - Boxden > BX Tech

The much-anticipated Google Maps for iOS is finally here. The app offers iOS 6 users who are unhappy with Apple's in-house Maps app an opportunity to switch back to Google's map platform. The new app includes turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Google local search and more.

There are a number of features and tidbits that come with Google Maps for iOS as well. Here's a selection.

- Jesse Hollington notes on Twitter that Google Maps is now a transit routing app option that is linked from Apple's Maps app.

- Google has created the Google Maps for iOS SDK, which allows developers to feature Google Maps in their applications rather than Apple Maps. Developers can do this in two ways. The first uses a URL scheme so developers can have their apps launch Google Maps to complete a search, show a map or Street View imagery, or view walking, driving and public transportation navigation easily.*There are also API keys that allow developers to feature information like traffic navigation and general maps navigation.

- Google's blog post on the app notes that Google Maps for iOS supports iOS 5.1 and higher, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Apple's turn-by-turn voice navigation does not support iOS 5 and those two iPhone models.

- A horizontal two-finger swipe allows you to access a menu that shows traffic, public transit, satellite view and Google Earth (which sends you to the Google Earth app).

- The app is available for 40 countries in 29 different languages, according to Google's blog post.

- KamenLee notes you can shake your iPhone (in frustration) which will trigger a Feedback form to Google.

Notes from David Pogue's Review:

- Google's point-of-interest database allows you, for example, to read a restaurant review on Zagat, read the menu, book reservations and see interior photos at 100 restaurants.
- Pogue also notes there's a Compass Mode that allows you, at certain locations, to move your phone around and allow you to see the interior of a business on your screen.
- Google has added some Google Earth features to the iOS app, including the entire photographic model of the Earth and its oceans
- Pogue mentions that Google admits that the iOS app is better than the Android version in terms of design. The Verge says that Google told them that they took everything they learned about design and used it for this app.
- iPad version is coming

Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming - MacRumors Forums

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

12 comments for "Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming"

12-14-2012, 11:51 AMaway - #2
niro000 

d 
space
$172 | 474706
I downloaded it is legit
 12-14-2012, 12:13 PMaway - #3
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,244 | POWERFUL
I downloaded it is the !!
 12-14-2012, 02:17 PMaway - #4
Hood_Rich 7 heat pts

d 
space
$13,145 | POWERFUL
never had an issue with the Apple Maps

the new Google Maps I like tho
 12-14-2012, 02:32 PMaway - #5
youdug 147 heat pts147

d 
space
$3,145 | POWERFUL
leave it to google to fix iphone issues
 12-14-2012, 02:35 PMaway - #6
fat_boyy21 206 heat pts206

d 
space
$6,842 | POWERFUL
the title is bs btw .. no surprise when you quote macrumors. but congrats to the many ios users for finally catching up on the times. now can i get this on my ipad 2
 12-14-2012, 02:45 PMaway - #7
Firestarr 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$5,338 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by youduglas
leave it to google to fix iphone issues
Well according to most analyst apple won anyway they took out google maps because google didn't want to add turn by turn navigation.. Now they got it .
 12-14-2012, 03:39 PMaway - #8
Seymore Cake 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$11,231 | POWERFUL
Google Now + Google Maps makes Androids version better
 12-14-2012, 11:24 PMaway - #9
coolio 43 heat pts43

d 
space
$14,838 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Seymore Cake

12-15-2012, 01:41 AMaway - #10
UrbanGAAWD 190 heat pts190

d 
space
$6,248 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by fat_boyy21
the title is bs btw .. no surprise when you quote macrumors. but congrats to the many ios users for finally catching up on the times. now can i get this on my ipad 2
I got a iPad 2 too...I'm actually typing on it this second and can't wait for a iPad version....I hope it comes faster than YouTube took to update

Originally Posted by Seymore Cake
TRU!!! But it is pretty good to sync routes or locations from your iPad....like typing on the iPad is pretty fast so I can type an address or location on there then use my phone in car to guide me there.....but then again you can do the same thing from your computer...either way, it's nice

But you already know the home team....Nexus
 12-15-2012, 08:53 AMaway - #11
Manny05 

d 
space
$16,784 | POWERFUL
Glad Google stepped up and made apple look stupid android
 12-15-2012, 10:33 AMaway - #12
killadre 171 heat pts171

d 
space
$10,189 | POWERFUL
I never had a problem with the apple maps but I download this yesterday haven't used it yet but if it even smoother than the past google maps !!s should be dope.
 12-15-2012, 04:18 PMaway - #13
Seymore Cake 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$11,231 | POWERFUL
My alarm goes off on my phone every morning and when I pull down my notification bar and it has the traffic and ETA for me to get to work and if I should leave now.

It really lets me know Google cares

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
92 comments
Worst movie endings
53 comments
If they rebooted "White Men Can't Jump"
63 comments
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 3 minutes ago - 222 comments - by JordanWest86
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 58 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside Lupita Nyong'o Named People Magazine's 'most Beautiful'
New reply 3 minutes ago - 73 comments - by SM
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 9 minutes ago - 98 comments - by bridouble
 Video inside [chi Wire] The School System
New reply 3 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Stillhyphy
 Image(s) inside Verizon Aint Playin O O
New reply 10 minutes ago - 68 comments - by ATLDOPEBOI18
 Video inside Rita Ora At The Breakfast Club: Jayz, Rihanna Clone, R...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 90 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Video inside Dr. Dre Or Pharrell??
New reply 15 minutes ago - 80 comments - by AngOmusic93

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,648 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.