Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
88 viewing
 BOX Manny Pacquiao the sore loser, The real Manny is revealed…
42 comments
most viewed right now
53 viewing
 Image inside I'm staring at that girl's a$$ like
27 comments

top in section
19 viewing
 Image inside Growing up when this came on tv it was time to turn It off
top in wild'ish
top in section
46 viewing
NBA LeBron finally explains why he's not wearing his signature headband
top in sports

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #1
1082 pageviews
12 comments

Scoop24 15 heat pts15 space
space
$5,751 | POWERFUL

The much-anticipated Google Maps for iOS is finally here. The app offers iOS 6 users who are unhappy with Apple's in-house Maps app an opportunity to switch back to Google's map platform. The new app includes turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Google local search and more.

There are a number of features and tidbits that come with Google Maps for iOS as well. Here's a selection.

- Jesse Hollington notes on Twitter that Google Maps is now a transit routing app option that is linked from Apple's Maps app.

- Google has created the Google Maps for iOS SDK, which allows developers to feature Google Maps in their applications rather than Apple Maps. Developers can do this in two ways. The first uses a URL scheme so developers can have their apps launch Google Maps to complete a search, show a map or Street View imagery, or view walking, driving and public transportation navigation easily.*There are also API keys that allow developers to feature information like traffic navigation and general maps navigation.

- Google's blog post on the app notes that Google Maps for iOS supports iOS 5.1 and higher, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Apple's turn-by-turn voice navigation does not support iOS 5 and those two iPhone models.

- A horizontal two-finger swipe allows you to access a menu that shows traffic, public transit, satellite view and Google Earth (which sends you to the Google Earth app).

- The app is available for 40 countries in 29 different languages, according to Google's blog post.

- KamenLee notes you can shake your iPhone (in frustration) which will trigger a Feedback form to Google.

Notes from David Pogue's Review:

- Google's point-of-interest database allows you, for example, to read a restaurant review on Zagat, read the menu, book reservations and see interior photos at 100 restaurants.
- Pogue also notes there's a Compass Mode that allows you, at certain locations, to move your phone around and allow you to see the interior of a business on your screen.
- Google has added some Google Earth features to the iOS app, including the entire photographic model of the Earth and its oceans
- Pogue mentions that Google admits that the iOS app is better than the Android version in terms of design. The Verge says that Google told them that they took everything they learned about design and used it for this app.
- iPad version is coming

Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming - MacRumors Forums
Props given to Scoop24 hot topic  (12-13-2012)

12 comments for "Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #2
niro000  space
space
$172 | 474706
I downloaded it is legit
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #3
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 27 heat pts27 space
Miami-Dade County
space
$4,449 | POWERFUL
I downloaded it is the sh*t
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #4
Hood_Rich 7 heat pts space
space
$14,365 | POWERFUL
never had an issue with the Apple Maps

the new Google Maps I like tho
Unread 2 years agoclass of '08 - away - #5
youdug 159 heat pts159 space
d3rp
space
$4,067 | POWERFUL
leave it to google to fix iphone issues
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #6
fat_boyy21 268 heat pts268 space
space
$8,372 | POWERFUL
the title is bs btw .. no surprise when you quote macrumors. but congrats to the many ios users for finally catching up on the times. now can i get this on my ipad 2
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #7
Scoop24 15 heat pts15 space
space
$5,751 | POWERFUL
youduglas said:
leave it to google to fix iphone issues
Well according to most analyst apple won anyway they took out google maps because google didn't want to add turn by turn navigation.. Now they got it .
Unread 2 years agoclass of '10 - away - #8
Seymore Cake 18 heat pts18 space
A Phoenix Always Rises
space
$18,743 | POWERFUL
Google Now + Google Maps makes Androids version better
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - on now - #9
coolio 57 heat pts57 space
space
$18,359 | POWERFUL
Seymore Cake said:

Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #10
UrbanGAAWD 198 heat pts198 space
THOT LUVR
space
$6,880 | POWERFUL
fat_boyy21 said:
the title is bs btw .. no surprise when you quote macrumors. but congrats to the many ios users for finally catching up on the times. now can i get this on my ipad 2
I got a iPad 2 too...I'm actually typing on it this second and can't wait for a iPad version....I hope it comes faster than YouTube took to update

Seymore Cake said:
TRU!!! But it is pretty good to sync routes or locations from your iPad....like typing on the iPad is pretty fast so I can type an address or location on there then use my phone in car to guide me there.....but then again you can do the same thing from your computer...either way, it's nice

But you already know the home team....Nexus
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - away - #11
Manny05  space
PSN - TheOpportunist08
space
$17,290 | POWERFUL
Glad Google stepped up and made apple look stupid android
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #12
killadre 182 heat pts182 space
Man Of The Year
space
$11,828 | POWERFUL
I never had a problem with the apple maps but I download this yesterday haven't used it yet but if it even smoother than the past google maps sh*ts should be dope.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '10 - away - #13
Seymore Cake 18 heat pts18 space
A Phoenix Always Rises
space
$18,743 | POWERFUL
My alarm goes off on my phone every morning and when I pull down my notification bar and it has the traffic and ETA for me to get to work and if I should leave now.

It really lets me know Google cares

Home > all sections > BX Tech

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
21 viewing
Image inside mto: alleged birdman has a man on his lap in this pic
123 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Video inside 50 Cent Celebrates Winning His $1.6 Million Dollar Bet On Mayweather Vs..
95 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside Just when I thought the Meek and Nicki fu-kery couldn't get worse
103 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
9 viewing
Image inside Life As We Knew It in 1999 :mjcry:
115 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
8 viewing
NBA What is steve ballmer on?
24 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
8 viewing
BOX Real Boxing Fans Lets Do Some Analysis
240 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Image inside 5 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Mortal Kombat
3 comments
@games
most viewed right now
8 viewing
BOX Mike Tyson Expresses His Feelings About The #MayPac Fight On Twitter
207 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
6 viewing
Video inside May 2 - D.L. Hughley:‘You’ll never see a ‘Black Lives Matter’ t-shirt a..
37 comments
@news

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time