This is BX @ Boxden.com


Microsoft Gives In...plans boot-to-desktop mode for Windows 8.1


 Microsoft Gives In...plans boot-to-desktop mode for Windows 8.1
topic by mr_underground - 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM - Boxden > BX Tech


In an apparent attempt to have its latest operating system better appeal to business customers, Microsoft reportedly plans to add a "boot to desktop" mode to its Windows 8.1 update, allowing users to bypass the Metro Start Screen.

In current test builds of Windows 8.1, codenamed Windows Blue, the operating system includes an option to boot directly to the traditional Windows desktop, sources familiar with the company's plans indicated to The Verge. That's a major change from the current version of Windows 8, which automatically boots to the new Start Screen which features the tiled "Metro" user interface.



Windows 8 currently boots to the new Start Screen, seen above, requiring an extra step to reach the desktop.

The new Start Screen has been criticized by PC users who feel the interface is not ideal with a traditional keyboard and mouse setup. Some believe the Metro user interface is better suited for touchscreen devices, like tablets and phones.

While Microsoft reportedly plans to make the desktop view a default option when booting a system, the company is said to be keeping the invisible "hot corners" it introduced with Windows 8. That function allows users to bring up the operating system's "Charms" or the Metro Start Screen by touching or dragging their PC mouse to the corner of the screen.

Windows 8 launched last fall with a great deal of hype from the Redmond, Wash., company, which claimed the new operating system was a revolutionary upgrade from its predecessor, Windows 7. But Windows 8 got off to a soft start, and failed to turn around sales in the sagging PC hardware market.

Continuing woes in the PC market have been generally blamed on the popularity of Apple's iPad, which reached a new, lower entry price of $329 last fall with the debut of the iPad mini. In comparison, many new touchscreen Ultrabooks running Windows 8 cost over a thousand dollars.

The struggles seen by PC makers have led market watchers to predict that the industry could see a major shakeup in the coming years. Some believe that remaining companies could merge, leading to fewer options, while others see gross margins shrinking in an effort to cut prices and boost sales.

Microsoft backing off Metro, plans boot-to-desktop mode for Windows 8.1


share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

65 comments for "Microsoft Gives In...plans boot-to-desktop mode for Windows 8.1"


 04-17-2013, 05:40 PMaway - #2
fat_boyy21 206 heat pts206

  d 
space
$6,842 | POWERFUL
about time... I've had my tablet ultrabook hybrid and I rarely use that metro ui bull!! they got going on. It has some nice elements but it is a secondary item that they're trying to force feed everyone
 04-17-2013, 09:44 PMaway - #3
M4Maytion 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$792 | 5920710
XP will always be the best Windows OS IMHO. besides Server 2000, everything else was !!. ESPECIALLY Windows ME.
 04-17-2013, 10:43 PMaway - #4
Y.G. 21 heat pts21

  d 
space
$22,580 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by M4Maytion
XP will always be the best Windows OS IMHO. besides Server 2000, everything else was !!. ESPECIALLY Windows ME.
XP better than 7?
 04-17-2013, 11:12 PMaway - #5
M4Maytion 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$792 | 5920710
Originally Posted by Y.G.
XP better than 7?
naw XP isn't better than 7






























XP is !!ing Light-years, eons and dimensions ahead/better than !!ty a$s Windows 7 and Windows 8

I can't !!ing standing Windows 7 & 8's new "hip" design, !! looks to impress the average "I just surf for [..] and music" users, but does absolutely nothing but pisses off serious computer users.

There are still companies using Windows XP to this day and Microsoft know's that it still has XP user's which is why it will charge around 100k(not sure if true) to give companies using XP, security updates. in 2014 I think Microsoft officially stops updating/patching XP which means if you don't pay for patches, your going to be using a system with a big "Please Hack the !! out of me" sign on it.

I honestly think XP and Windows 2000 Server is Microsoft best OS's, but that's just me.
 04-17-2013, 11:44 PMaway - #6
Sol Rock 

  d 
space
$746 | 477399
Windows 8 + Stardock = Everything's fine.
 04-17-2013, 11:57 PMaway - #7
Parkchester 73 heat pts73

  d 
space
$12,955 | POWERFUL
26

Originally Posted by M4Maytion
naw XP isn't better than 7






























XP is !!ing Light-years, eons and dimensions ahead/better than !!ty a$s Windows 7 and Windows 8

I can't !!ing standing Windows 7 & 8's new "hip" design, !! looks to impress the average "I just surf for [..] and music" users, but does absolutely nothing but pisses off serious computer users.

There are still companies using Windows XP to this day and Microsoft know's that it still has XP user's which is why it will charge around 100k(not sure if true) to give companies using XP, security updates. in 2014 I think Microsoft officially stops updating/patching XP which means if you don't pay for patches, your going to be using a system with a big "Please Hack the !! out of me" sign on it.

I honestly think XP and Windows 2000 Server is Microsoft best OS's, but that's just me.


^that's how my browsing looks. nice, clean, and basic without the extra flamboyant bull!!. i'm using Windows 7, and i miss XP on my old CPU. I honestly think Windows 8 is garbage (presentation wise).
 04-17-2013, 11:58 PMaway - #8
ex-clu-sives 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,123 | 4567729
Originally Posted by M4Maytion
XP will always be the best Windows OS IMHO. besides Server 2000, everything else was !!. ESPECIALLY Windows ME.
^ THIS.
 04-18-2013, 12:05 AMaway - #9
M4Maytion 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$792 | 5920710
Originally Posted by e180th


^that's how my browsing looks. nice, clean, and basic without the extra flamboyant bull!!. i'm using Windows 7, and i miss XP on my old CPU. I honestly think Windows 8 is garbage (presentation wise).
I wont lie, !! looks clean. you using window-blinds or a skin editor?
 04-18-2013, 12:06 AMaway - #10
Y.G. 21 heat pts21

  d 
space
$22,580 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by M4Maytion
XP is !!ing Light-years, eons and dimensions ahead/better than !!ty a$s Windows 7 and Windows 8


I guess you only browse the internet and play solitaire on your computer. Someone like me who does CPU and memory intensive work on the computer (audio editing and SQL coding) knows the advantages of using a 64-bit OS vs a 32-bit OS. Windows took everything good about XP and improved it by leaps and bounds with 7. 7 is just the technically superior operating system. No one can argue against that.
 04-18-2013, 12:09 AMaway - #11
Ching king 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,067 | 18373709
Why do people hold XP to such high regard?

I absolutely hate W8, btw. I just don't get what makes it so "special."
 04-18-2013, 12:11 AMaway - #12
Walt Thizzney 111 heat pts111

  d 
space
$4,424 | POWERFUL
Windows 7 is !!ing magical... it is just a good improvement on Windows xp

windows 8 is !!ing trash tho
 04-18-2013, 12:15 AMaway - #13
M4Maytion 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$792 | 5920710
Originally Posted by Y.G.


I guess you only browse the internet and play solitaire on your computer. Someone like me who does CPU and memory intensive work on the computer (audio editing and SQL coding) knows the advantages of using a 64-bit OS vs a 32-bit OS. Windows took everything good about XP and improved it by leaps and bounds with 7. 7 is just the technically superior operating system. No one can argue against that.
Time out, so Windows XP didn't have a 64-Bit version?

It's easy as hell to argue against that glorified piece of garbage, Window's is attempting to appeal to casual users, business sectors are already locked with the windows for the most part, NOT because it's the better OS but because of the deals Microsoft offers large companies.

I understand you like Windows 7, but to say it outshines XP is crazy. GUI wise, it is a casual pc user dream, but for individuals who utilize the computer for more than casual needs, XP !!'s all over 7
 04-18-2013, 12:19 AMaway - #14
66VETTE 

  d 
space
$1,143 | 578907
Originally Posted by M4Maytion
naw XP isn't better than 7






























XP is !!ing Light-years, eons and dimensions ahead/better than !!ty a$s Windows 7 and Windows 8

I can't !!ing standing Windows 7 & 8's new "hip" design, !! looks to impress the average "I just surf for [..] and music" users, but does absolutely nothing but pisses off serious computer users.

There are still companies using Windows XP to this day and Microsoft know's that it still has XP user's which is why it will charge around 100k(not sure if true) to give companies using XP, security updates. in 2014 I think Microsoft officially stops updating/patching XP which means if you don't pay for patches, your going to be using a system with a big "Please Hack the !! out of me" sign on it.

I honestly think XP and Windows 2000 Server is Microsoft best OS's, but that's just me.
You must use a computer like a high school girl then. Win 7 is much better for anyone who actually uses a PC for anything more than looking at gay [..]. Windows 8 on the other hand...
 04-18-2013, 12:20 AMaway - #15
Parkchester 73 heat pts73

  d 
space
$12,955 | POWERFUL
26

Originally Posted by M4Maytion
I wont lie, !! looks clean. you using window-blinds or a skin editor?
good looks. i just went to the "personalization" in the Control Panel and chose Window Classic as my theme. not sure if that option is in Windows 8, i haven't observed much into it. i just know i hate the way it looks
 04-18-2013, 12:35 AMaway - #16
cuzjuan 

  d 
space
$2,266 | 4244043
Originally Posted by Y.G.
XP better than 7?
i think personally XP and and Vista are pretty good but im mostly @ XP being the goat OS of all time! i still run it, using it now and very st@ble! XP2 to be exact homies!
 04-18-2013, 01:32 AMaway - #17
hughesahoe 

  d 
space
$130 | 303415
Windows 7 has so many more features/aspects to it compared to XP that it's not even close. To say XP is a better OS... shows how little you really know about IT.
 04-18-2013, 01:52 AMaway - #18
Y.G. 21 heat pts21

  d 
space
$22,580 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by cuzjuan
i think personally XP and and Vista are pretty good but im mostly @ XP being the goat OS of all time! i still run it, using it now and very st@ble! XP2 to be exact homies!
Everyone likes XP. But this is 2013. If you're not at least using Windows 7, you're not a power PC user. There is no technical advantage gained by running XP over 7. None.
 04-18-2013, 01:55 AMaway - #19
2D.... 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$7,798 | POWERFUL
@ these cavemen

win 8 > win 7 >>>>>>>>>> xp

as much as you hate it, windows 8 is more efficient than the rest. get over it
 04-18-2013, 02:47 AMaway - #20
M4Maytion 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$792 | 5920710
Originally Posted by Y.G.
Everyone likes XP. But this is 2013. If you're not at least using Windows 7, you're not a power PC user. There is no technical advantage gained by running XP over 7. None.
It seem as if you're saying if you're not running Windows 7 then your current computer isn't as powerful as a system running Windows?
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
92 comments
Worst movie endings
53 comments
If they rebooted "White Men Can't Jump"
63 comments
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 3 minutes ago - 222 comments - by JordanWest86
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 58 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside Lupita Nyong'o Named People Magazine's 'most Beautiful'
New reply 3 minutes ago - 73 comments - by SM
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 9 minutes ago - 98 comments - by bridouble
 Video inside [chi Wire] The School System
New reply 3 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Stillhyphy
 Image(s) inside Verizon Aint Playin O O
New reply 10 minutes ago - 68 comments - by ATLDOPEBOI18
 Video inside Rita Ora At The Breakfast Club: Jayz, Rihanna Clone, R...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 90 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Video inside Dr. Dre Or Pharrell??
New reply 15 minutes ago - 80 comments - by AngOmusic93

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,648 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.