b o x d e n     |     hiphop     sports     wild'ish     games     movies     news     eyecandy     tech     gear     rides  
trending now     hot topics today     all sections     videos     pics     tracks     headlines  

Google Is Attacking Apple From The Inside Out—And It's Working

Google Is Attacking Apple From The Inside Out—And It's Working
topic by mr_underground - 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM - Boxden > BX Tech

After years of hammering away at Apple's share of the smartphone market with cheap-to-free Android phones, Google has lately adopted a new tactic to win mobile.

Call it "the worm strategy"—because Google is attacking Apple from the inside out.

Over the past six months, Google has begun to systematically replace core, Apple-made iOS apps with Google-made iOS apps.
In July, Google launched Chrome for iPhone—a Safari replacement.
Then, in October came Google Search—which included a voice search feature to compete with Siri.
In December, Google launched Google Maps to replace Apple Maps, and a much-improved Gmail to replace Apple's core Mail app.
It also put out a new YouTube app, to replace the one that Apple removed during its last iOS upgrade.

Google doesn't plan to stop there.

In fact, it's throwing more resources at iOS development.

9to5Mac's Jake Smith notes that Google has launched an ad campaign recruiting iOS developers into the company, so that they can “do cool things that matter."

The ad links to a page on Google's internal jobs site—an interview with Google iOS developer Ken Bongort, headlined: "Wait, Google has iOS mobile apps teams?"

In the interview, Bongort talks about all the apps Google has launched on iOS of late, and then concludes: "Needless to say, there are similar opportunities to create and design new experiences for all Google apps on the iOS platform."

Google's tactic is working.

The anecdotal evidence: Business Insider gadget editor Steve Kovach says he's put almost all of his Apple-made iOS apps into a hidden folder, preferring to use apps from Google and others instead. Over on AllThingsD, Liz Gannes says 2012 was the year "I basically stopped using iOS apps."

She says Google apps are one big reason why:

More often than not lately, I find myself using a Google iOS app. I’m now using Google Maps instead of Apple Maps, Chrome instead of Safari, and Gmail instead of Mail. Those three have all made it to my home screen, where they replaced the in-house apps.

For the record, I wouldn’t consider myself a partisan of either Google or Apple — I’m praising Google’s mobile software here, but my primary phone is still an iPhone. I think iOS is a very nice operating system. But the Google utility apps increasingly fit my needs better, for some of the most important and basic things a smartphone does.

Then there's the statistical evidence that Google's inside-out tactic is working.

AppData, which monitors iTunes App Store rankings, reports that the numbers one and two free iPhone apps right now are YouTube and Google Maps.

None of this makes Apple executives very happy.

The world's universally positive reaction to Google Maps—and rush to replace Apple Maps—reportedly has Apple executives "seething." No surprise: Apple CEO Tim Cook fired iOS software boss Scott Forstall when Forstall refused to apologize for the product's deficiencies.

Meanwhile, this trend has to have Google executives elated.

When Apple launched the iPhone App Store in 2008, it threatened to permanently disrupt Google's most important business: search.

If the world became one where:
Businesses directed all their resources toward building apps to be discovered in the iTunes app store instead of building Web pages to be discovered by Google search.
And consumers went straight to non-Google apps for search problems like where they should and what they should buy.
Then Google search ads—still more than 95 percent of Google's revenues—would become much less valuable.

Instead, the world has become one where people there are two kinds of people.

There are Android users, surrounded by Google search, and there are iPhone users, downloading Google apps—all of which make Google search a prominent feature.

Read more: Google Is Attacking Apple Inside Out - Business Insider

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

45 comments for "Google Is Attacking Apple From The Inside Out—And It's Working"

01-01-2013, 01:38 PMaway - #2
SpittN4Cash 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$8,956 | POWERFUL
"Good...good. >:) "
 01-01-2013, 03:32 PMaway - #3
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
They replaced the Youtube app, the browser, the mail app and the maps. What else can they conveniently replace for iOS users? I don't think there's anything else. I don't think having control over some major apps like maps and Youtube is going to make people want an Android phone more than an Iphone. So I don't really see how having these advantages over the competitor actually means anything significant.

From my experience people either hate one and love the other, there's no inbetween or anyone feeling indifferent when it comes to Android vs iOS. Most of my friends have had both and choose Android but that's because Android was their first smart phone and they got used to it. I could never use an iPhone either because of the same reason (being too used to Android) and I'm sure iOS users feel the same way about Android.

I digress, I'm rambling now
 01-01-2013, 03:38 PMonline - #4
fat_boyy21 249 heat pts249

d 
space
$7,774 | POWERFUL
google makes it's money off of ads within their apps
 01-01-2013, 08:22 PMaway - #5
Barcode 4 heat pts

d 
space
$2,671 | 10080767
Thats my google. . .
 01-01-2013, 08:37 PMaway - #6
R. Joven 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$5,060 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
I don't think it's really about iPhone users wanting the Android more by attacking inside.

They are simply making more users use their ecosystem rather than the Apple ecosystem no matter which phone they use.

It's a brilliant strategy.
From what I understand, Google doesn't really make money from Android itself. If that's the case, you can look this situation in two different, but not mutually exclusive ways:

1. By offering good apps on a competing platform, Google is widening the base to which it can offer ads.
2. Though Google's apps may take away from Apple's own apps, at the end of the day having good apps helps the iOS platform. For example, having Google Maps ensures iPhones have a top-flight maps app. At the end of the day, that still helps Apple sell iPhones.
 01-01-2013, 09:09 PMaway - #7
Gortexmethod 

d 
space
$462 | 1285593
I got a Google tablet for 79 bucks 8gb all I need
 01-01-2013, 09:35 PMaway - #8
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$26,728 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
They replaced the Youtube app, the browser, the mail app and the maps. What else can they conveniently replace for iOS users? I don't think there's anything else. I don't think having control over some major apps like maps and Youtube is going to make people want an Android phone more than an Iphone. So I don't really see how having these advantages over the competitor actually means anything significant.

From my experience people either hate one and love the other, there's no inbetween or anyone feeling indifferent when it comes to Android vs iOS. Most of my friends have had both and choose Android but that's because Android was their first smart phone and they got used to it. I could never use an iPhone either because of the same reason (being too used to Android) and I'm sure iOS users feel the same way about Android.

You're missing the point. Google makes money off of ads in Google Maps and YouTube.
 01-01-2013, 09:47 PMaway - #9
arkansas@$$hole 

d 
space
$446 | 450706
So is this suppose to be a bad thing or something? It's actually good for both parties.
 01-01-2013, 09:54 PMaway - #10
Bleezy 7 heat pts

d 
space
$9,981 | POWERFUL
google gawds

01-01-2013, 09:58 PMaway - #11
[Trini Yute] 5 heat pts

d 
space
$1,448 | 6192597
I don't think it's really about iPhone users wanting the Android more by attacking inside.

They are simply making more users use their ecosystem rather than the Apple ecosystem no matter which phone they use.

01-01-2013, 10:05 PMaway - #12
Mr X 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$1,938 | 10499600
android sucks
 01-01-2013, 10:10 PMaway - #13
N E R D 8 heat pts

d 
space
$4,099 | POWERFUL
GOAT GOOGLE
 01-01-2013, 10:14 PMonline - #14
psylence2k 43 heat pts43

d 
space
$10,002 | POWERFUL
I see it as a win-win for both companies.

01-01-2013, 11:16 PMaway - #15
primetimemookie 2 heat pts

d 
space
$822 | 4373458
Originally Posted by Zaosyn

i was going to say something sarcastic about your reading comprehension but instead i'll leave you with this.

01-01-2013, 11:51 PMaway - #16
factorx3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$2,259 | 4361803

01-02-2013, 12:24 AMaway - #17
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by primetimemookie
i was going to say something sarcastic about your reading comprehension but instead i'll leave you with this.

01-02-2013, 12:37 AMaway - #18
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$2,575 | 10564054
A world ruled by Google... That's the #### I don't like.
 01-02-2013, 12:52 AMaway - #19
sbrown1 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,278 | 6062336
didn't read half the comments or anything but i just want to say that after my wife saw me using google maps etc on my iphone 5 she now wants the iphone 5.. right now she has the evo 3d which is honestly up there with the s3.. s3 is just a faster processor but come on all newer android phones are fast enough to handle any apps

end thread please
 01-02-2013, 01:30 AMaway - #20
SHADOW 302 heat pts302

d 
space
$7,686 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Barcode
Thats my google. . .

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Best Buy Black Friday online started, Gamestops too
74 comments
NFL Ray Rice Has Won His Appeal
50 comments
NCAAF CFB Week 14 Thread #RivalryWeekAndPlayoffs
79 comments
 Image(s) inside Bizzy Bone Posts Pic Of "notorious Thugs" St...
New reply 47 seconds ago - 52 comments - by The Bully
 Video inside Star Wars: Episode Vii - The Force Awakens (official T...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 80 comments - by Grimm
 Image(s) inside Tyler The Creator Disses Eminem/shadyxv
New reply 59 seconds ago - 57 comments - by mdemaz
 Image(s) inside Congrats To Young Thug And His New Fiancé @yeahlano!
New reply 16 minutes ago - 76 comments - by keejee
 NBA Melo Feeling Regretful : "chicago Was The Perfect...
New reply 1 minute ago - 56 comments - by theFREAK
  Q-tip Announces Lil Wayne Has Joined The Zulu Nation
New reply 21 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Danny M
 Video inside Nov 27 - New Video Footage Of Darrien Hunt, 22 Yr Old ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Ham Rove
 Video inside Nov 26 - Cleveland Police Officer Shot Tamir Rice Imme...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 130 comments - by CrunchTime CDN

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,865 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,815 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.