This is BX @ Boxden.com

Game Changer: Google Plans To Offer Free Wifi In Entire NYC neighborhood

Game Changer: Google Plans To Offer Free Wifi In Entire NYC neighborhood
topic by the_malicious - 01-09-2013, 01:38 AM - Boxden > BX Tech

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/free-public-wifi-in-chelsea-google-bloomberg-new-york-city-eric-fried-wifi_n_2432352.html

and this is just the beginning...

Google said Tuesday it is teaming up with a New York City neighborhood business group to provide the company's first urban Wi-Fi network.

The network will be available free to about a 10-block area surrounding Google's offices in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, where Google has more than 3,000 employees. The area also is home to other tech companies, as well as high-end hotels and nightclubs and a housing project with more than 2,000 tenants.

"Google is proud to provide free Wi-Fi in the neighborhood we have called home for over six years," said Ben Fried, Google's chief information officer, who joined New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer for the announcement at an outdoor courtyard across the street from the company offices.

Google has free Wi-Fi in Mountain View, Calif., where it is based, and in a handful of cities where it has data centers such as Council Bluffs, Iowa, and The Dalles, Ore.

In New York, Google and the Chelsea Improvement Company are paying for the network, which cost $115,000 to set up and will cost $45,000 a year to operate. Wi-Fi, which allows for a connection to the Internet without the use of cellular service, would be free outdoors and in some indoor spaces such as a senior center.

Schumer demonstrated Tuesday that he was using the network to read his talking points on a tablet.

"This is a great, great thing for New York," the New York Democrat said.

Schumer said it would make sense to wire the entire city, and Bloomberg said Schumer should secure the federal funds to do it. The mayor, the billionaire founder of Bloomberg LLC, has tried to position New York as a high-tech center to rival Silicon Valley.

Fried noted that New York is Google's second-largest office in the world.

"Second is not a word we like," Bloomberg said. "You could make it your biggest office and we would be thrilled."

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

26 comments for "Game Changer: Google Plans To Offer Free Wifi In Entire NYC neighborhood"

01-10-2013, 12:28 AMaway - #2
xbossxplayax 

d 
space
$3,379 | 9009833
In return? Oh nothing, we just gonna get all up in that a$s once in a while, no, correction, we gon stay in all yall a$ses once we get in there, monitoring umm every single thing about every single internet users on our FREE WIFI! Free! Aint that great?

So this how they gon make minority report a reality - no one can actually foresee the future like having a god-told vision... Butyou can get pretty close to it by processing a maasive data flow about whats going on now and whats been going on.

Numbers and stats gon chain all yall watch
 01-10-2013, 12:56 AMaway - #3
Spoken210 4 heat pts

d 
space
$2,670 | 6674791
Originally Posted by xbossxplayax
In return? Oh nothing, we just gonna get all up in that a$s once in a while, no, correction, we gon stay in all yall a$ses once we get in there, monitoring umm every single thing about every single internet users on our FREE WIFI! Free! Aint that great?

So this how they gon make minority report a reality - no one can actually foresee the future like having a god-told vision... Butyou can get pretty close to it by processing a maasive data flow about whats going on now and whats been going on.

They didn't say you had to use it, you have the option to use your own Internet
 01-10-2013, 02:06 AMaway - #4
Imagin3 3 heat pts

d 
space
$6,746 | 20994133
so super rich jews and gays get free internet

yayyy

put some free in a broke place where niccas cant afford it broski

01-10-2013, 02:30 AMaway - #5
TheMob 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$7,934 | POWERFUL
1 - Track as a muh!!er
2 - Putting it where people don't need it.
 01-10-2013, 02:49 AMonline - #6
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,704 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Imagin3

yayyy

With your ignorant a$s logic, why would broke places need wifi they can't afford? You can afford a computer but no internet for $10-$15 a month?

I doubt this Google wifi project is gonna be too successful at first -- you're gonna have hundreds of thousands of people using it simultaneously on a regular basis, I doubt it's gonna be as good as most office's wifi.
 01-10-2013, 07:08 AMaway - #7
Andrefrbk 696 heat pts696

d 
space
$17,676 | POWERFUL

yayyy

this, how about bringing it to the hoods so niccas can feast.
 01-10-2013, 07:47 AMaway - #8
LYTE 45 heat pts45

d 
space
$10,231 | POWERFUL

yayyy

exactly
then that's when it will matter.
I believe it is a beautiful thing but I agree with you 98%. 2 % off for "except for the super rich jews/gays"

It's like giving food to someone whose fridge is full while neglecting the one who doesnt even have a fridge.
 01-10-2013, 08:09 AMaway - #9
lilja808 

d 
space
$243 | 123095
not impressesed.
It probably will be slow and if not this definatley poses a security threat to all those people information
Remember if it is not your wifi connection, if it is open or public your information can be stolen

A.K.A. = HACKERS DREAM

I wouldnt do anyhting personable on this unless they put sometime of secure connction on this

source: College Major: Computer Networking & Security
 01-10-2013, 08:40 AMonline - #10
killababi 4 heat pts

d 
space
$6,901 | 16873116
Its a trap.
 01-10-2013, 08:58 AMaway - #11
Imagin3 3 heat pts

d 
space
$6,746 | 20994133
Originally Posted by RYLNYC

With your ignorant a$s logic, why would broke places need wifi they can't afford? You can afford a computer but no internet for $10-$15 a month?

I doubt this Google wifi project is gonna be too successful at first -- you're gonna have hundreds of thousands of people using it simultaneously on a regular basis, I doubt it's gonna be as good as most office's wifi.
everyone owns atleast some sort of device that connects to the internet
its 2013 my nicca

but if its even an extra 10-15 dollars a month poor families can save, how is that ignorant a$s logic?

and legit the only people who live in chelsea are rich gays and jews
10- 15 dollars is a bottle of water for them

they dont give a !! if its free or not
 01-10-2013, 09:11 AMaway - #12
LYTE 45 heat pts45

d 
space
$10,231 | POWERFUL

internet for $10-$15 a month?

what state? what company? what's the speed?
 01-10-2013, 09:16 AMaway - #13
Andrefrbk 696 heat pts696

d 
space
$17,676 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by LYTE
what state? what company? what's the speed?
He is full of shiit. Here in NYC dsl is the cheapest, and its like 15 a month. But the speeds are far worse than tethering.

Bottom line is Brownsville, coney island, and other areas with mad housing projects could have did good wit this. Families could drop cablevision which is 40 a month.
For a family just browsing google could have really helped them out. Most families in those areas live on less than 300 a month.
 01-10-2013, 09:27 AMaway - #14
regularjoe 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$20,687 | POWERFUL
Um... its so they can spy on people even more freely.
 01-10-2013, 09:27 AMaway - #15
drunkenmasta 2 heat pts

d 
space
$287 | 2026773
Thats nothing special, for YEARS they have been offering free WiFi in Serbia son, haha..
 01-10-2013, 11:54 AMaway - #16
SoFresh170 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$9,182 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by xbossxplayax

It's not like they can't do regardless. If the government wants to look over your shoulder they will. !! this free wifi bull!!. It's gonna be funny when people see a small increase in rent.
 01-10-2013, 08:40 PMaway - #17
bigree61 

d 
space
$13,380 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by LYTE
exactly
then that's when it will matter.
I believe it is a beautiful thing but I agree with you 98%. 2 % off for "except for the super rich jews/gays"

It's like giving food to someone whose fridge is full while neglecting the one who doesnt even have a fridge.

The American way
 01-10-2013, 09:35 PMaway - #18
getyagameup 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$4,006 | POWERFUL

i think they will be able to accommodate most people though. i think that they are doing this more for the ability to see people's info and traffic.

Originally Posted by lilja808
not impressesed.
It probably will be slow and if not this definatley poses a security threat to all those people information
Remember if it is not your wifi connection, if it is open or public your information can be stolen

A.K.A. = HACKERS DREAM

I wouldnt do anyhting personable on this unless they put sometime of secure connction on this

source: College Major: Computer Networking & Security
same thing i was thinking

Originally Posted by SoFresh170
It's not like they can't do regardless. If the government wants to look over your shoulder they will. !! this free wifi bull!!. It's gonna be funny when people see a small increase in rent.
they could however this makes it much easier................google can afford to do this cuz that place, whr the google office is, in ny is huge so it's all good. just don't trust that they are going to keep data private......
 01-11-2013, 04:49 AMaway - #19
BtMkRs 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$2,772 | 15020100
yaay rich people get free internet ........ Bronx lost
 01-11-2013, 08:27 AMaway - #20
nightmare 397 heat pts397

d 
space
$12,083 | POWERFUL
lot of salt in this thread

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Rihanna Celebrates 4/20
74 comments
BOX Stephen A.: "Floyd Mayweather Will Destroy Pacquiao" ..
79 comments
NFL Raiders trade Terrelle Pryor to Seahawks
62 comments
  Rappers That Never Took Off.
New reply 15 minutes ago - 192 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Iggy Azalea Talks Getting F#ngered By Fans, Bedroom Li...
New reply 48 minutes ago - 76 comments - by SM
 NBA 7'2" Indiana Pacers Center In Bizarre Decline Lis...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 61 comments - by Motion
 Image(s) inside My Dad Changed His Contact Info In My Phone And Preten...
New reply 51 minutes ago - 80 comments - by surreyjack
 Video inside Rza At The Breakfast Club: Wu-tang Beef, Pirating Musi...
New reply 37 minutes ago - 53 comments - by BreakfastClub
 NBA Noah To Be Named Defensive Player Of The Year
New reply 57 minutes ago - 87 comments - by Kadillac87
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 42 minutes ago - 77 comments - by donmagic901
 NBA Laker Fans Take Pictures With Lakers Cheerleaders (pics)
New reply 58 minutes ago - 153 comments - by Chrisdunk

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,652 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.