This is BX @ Boxden.com

An iPhone Loverís Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely.

An iPhone Loverís Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely.
topic by xFMx ALCHEMiST - 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM - Boxden > BX Tech

Here's a video from a different iPhone guy

Honest review, i'm sure most Apple guys don't even read but here it is. > An iPhone Loverís Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely. - Photo posted in BX Tech | Sign in and leave a comment below!
I didn't include the ENTIRE review but most of it.
An iPhone Lover‚€™s Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely.

Over the past few years I've invested a lot into Apple's products and services.

If you come by my house, you'd find four of the latest Apple TVs, two iMacs, the latest MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro, more than five AirPort Express stations and Apple's Time Capsule. You could touch every single iPhone, from the first up to the iPhone 5, iPads ranging from first generation to fourth and we recently added two iPad minis.

My iTunes Library comprises well over 8,000 songs – all purchased via the iTunes Store. No matter whom you would ask, everybody will confirm that I'm what some folks call an Apple fanboy.

The reach of Apple's products goes beyond my personal life.

As the co-founder of Germany's largest mobile development shop, I'm dealing with apps – predominantly iOS powered – in my daily professional life.

Driven primarily by the business I run, I tried to give Android a chance more than once.

In various self-experiments, I tried to leave my iPhone at home for the Motorola Droid, the Nexus One, the Samsung Galaxy S II and S III – and always switched straight back to the iPhone. None of those Android devices have worked for me – yet.

And then I got the Nexus 4.
When the latest Google flagship Android device shipped, I almost expected it to turn out as yet another "take-a-look-and-sell-it-on-ebay" experience. Little did I know.

It's now almost two weeks since I switched the Nexus 4 on for the first time – and meanwhile I completely moved to it, leaving my iPhone 5 at home. Do I miss anything? Nope. Except iMessage. More on that later.

My motivation is not to bash Platform A over Platform B. On the contrary: I will try to summarize my very personal findings and experiences based on years of using iOS. I've seen the Apple platform evolve while Android was playing catch-up for so long. When iOS 6 came out, for the first time I complained about the lack of innovation in this major new release. I asked myself, whether we might see Apple beginning to lose its leading position in mobile platforms.

Before you read on, it's important to emphasize that I'm a pro user.

I'm not the average smartphone owner, who makes just a couple of calls every now and then or runs an app once in a while. By the nature of my job and out of curiosity, I deal a lot with social media outlets, social networks and constantly try new services. With that said, my judgement might not be suitable for everyone. In case you consider yourself being a demanding power user, though, you might find this helpful.

At the time of this writing, I've been using Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 on an LG Nexus 4.

Putting it into a single line: The latest version of Android outshines the latest version of iOS in almost every single aspect.

I find it to be better in terms of the performance, smoothness of the rendering engine, cross-app and OS level integration, innovation across the board, look & feel customizability and variety of the available apps.

In the following paragraphs, I try to explain why.

Performance and Smoothness of the Rendering Engine
I know there are benchmarks which measure all kinds of technical performance on a very detailed level. That's not what I've done and, honestly, I'm not interested into that much. I'm talking about the performance I feel in my daily use.

Using the Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.1 is a pure pleasure when it comes to performance. I don't exactly know what Google has done with "Project Butter" in Jelly Bean, but the result is astonishing. In the past, Android felt laggy, sometimes even slow and responses to gestures didn't feel half as immediate as on iOS.

This has changed completely.

I'd say both platforms are at least even. In some cases, Android even feels a bit ahead of iOS 6. I especially got this impression when it comes to rapidly switching between apps – which I constantly do now – and scrolling through a huge number of more complex content. (I'm not talking just tables with text here.)

While Android still doesn't give you bouncing lists and scroll views – primarily, because Apple has a patent for this specific behavior – every transition between views has been reworked, polished and modernized. In most cases, it feels more modern, clean and up-to-date than its iOS counterpart.

Cross-app and OS level integration
One of the biggest advantages I found during my daily use is the level of cross-app and OS level integration.

This also is the area where I was most disappointed when Apple introduced iOS 6.

In fact, I think iOS has reached a point where usability starts to significantly decrease due to the many workarounds that Apple has introduced. All of these just to prevent exposing a paradigm like a file system or allowing apps to securely talk to each others. There is a better way of doing this. Apples knows about it but simply keeps ignoring the issues.

On Android, it's quite the opposite. One can see the most obvious example when it comes to handling all sorts of files and sharing.

Let's a$sume I receive an email with a PDF attachment which I'd like to use in some other apps and maybe post to a social network later.

On iOS, the user is forced to think around Apple's constraints. There is no easy way to just detach the file from the email and subsequently use it in what ever way I want. Instead, all iOS apps that want to expose some sort of sharing feature, do have to completely take care for it themselves. The result is a fairly inconsistent, unsatisfying user experience.

On iOS, you might use the somewhat odd "Open in…" feature – in case the developer was so kind to implement it – to first move the file over to Dropbox, which gives you a virtual cloud-based file system. If you're lucky, the other app, from which you want to use the file next, offers Dropbox integration, too, so you can re-download it and start from there. All because Apple denies the necessity of basic cross-app local storage.

On Android, it's really simple.

I can detach the file to a local folder and further work with it from there. Leveraging every single app that handles PDF files. In case I receive a bunch of mp3 files, I can do the same. And every app that somehow can handle audio playback, can reuse those mp3 files.

Another great example: Sharing stuff on social networks. On iOS, I have to rely on the developers again. Flipboard, as one of the better examples, gives me the ability to directly share with Google+, Twitter and Facebook. On my Nexus 4, I have 20+ options. That is, because every app I install can register as a sharing provider. It's a core feature of the Android operating system.

But it goes even further: On Android, I can change the default handlers for specific file types – much like I'm used to from desktop operating systems.

If, for example, you're not happy with the stock Photo Gallery application, that shows up whenever an app wants you to pick an image, you can simply install one from over a hundred alternatives and tell Android to use it as its new default. The next time you post a photo with the Facebook app – or have to pick an image from within any other app – your favorite gallery picker shows up instead of Android's own.

All of this is entirely impossible on iOS today. I've stopped counting how often I felt annoyed because I clicked a link to a location in Mobile Safari and would have loved the Google Maps app to launch. Instead, Apple's own Maps app is hardcoded into the system. And there's no way for me to change it.

The customizability is simply stunning
Let me make this very clear: Gone are the days where home screens on Android phones almost always looked awful.

If you don't believe me, hop over to MyColorscreen and see for yourself.

Also note that all of those are real Android home screens, not just concepts provided by designers. They are not beautifully photoshopped wallpapers, but fully functional screens with app icons and active widgets.

And all of those can be configured pretty easily just by installing a couple of apps and tweaking settings. Here is an album showing my current configuration, which I was able to achieve after just a couple of days using Android as an absolute newbie.

Now, iPhone lovers might argue that the average Joe doesn't want to deal with widgets, icons and custom animations. I've used the same argument for years. Well, guess what, you don't have to. The default Jelly Bean home screen looks beautiful already. But in case you want a somewhat more individual phone, the possibilities are endless.

For years, what you could do with Android, simply yielded awful looking home screens. This has changed. Significantly so.

And believe me or not, but after having configured my Nexus 4 just the way I always wanted – providing me with the fastest access to my most frequently used apps along with the most important information on a single screen – whenever I grab my iPhone for testing purposes, iOS feels pretty old, outdated and less user friendly. For me, there currently is no way of going back. Once you get used to all of these capabilities, it's hard to live without them.

App quality and variety
Yes, there are still lots of really ugly apps on Google Play.

In my opinion, this has two primary reasons.

First, the obvious one: The lack of a centralized quality control and review. It's great for encouraging variety, but obviously it also allows for some really cheap productions to be published to the store. Usually, you can spot those immediately from the screenshots on Google Play.

The second reason is more low-level: The way developers declare user interfaces (it's primarily done in an XML configuration file) allows for rapidly hammering together dirty UIs. That's what happens a lot and users can see and feel it. iOS developers tend to be more aware to involve designers and iOS UIs cannot be crapped together as easily.

However, I no longer feel as though the apps I use most greatly fall behind their iOS counterparts.

The Facebook app is identical in terms of look and feel and features. As a plus, it has better cross-app integration. The Google+ app is better on Android, but that's to be expected. Flipboard is fantastic on Android, plus better integration. The same is true for Pulse News. The list goes on: Instagram, Path, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Quora, Pocket, Amazon Kindle, Spotify, Shazam and Google Talk. They are all great on Android. Plus better integration. Plus home screen widgets. You sense a scheme here?

And if you want to experience some real UI magic – even if you just need an argument when you're bumping into an iPhone owner the next time – install Zime, a highly addictive calendar for Android which features smooth 3D animations and really innovative UI.

Talking about variety. This is where Android's openness pays off.

On iOS, many things I always wished to see being developed, simply cannot be done because of the strict sandbox Apple enforces around apps. On Android, I use an app to block unwanted calls. To auto-respond to incoming short messages. And to lock some specific apps with an extra passcode, so my customers don't play with my Facebook profile, when I hand over my Nexus 4 for demos.

I also have apps that give me great insight into the use of mobile data across the device and all apps. Or the battery consumption. Or which apps talk home and how frequently.

None of it is available for iOS. And possibly won't be at any time in the near future.

What I miss
I said this earlier: The only thing I miss is iMessages. I'm not kidding. Letting go of iMessages was difficult, as many of my friends are on iPhones and used to text me via iMessage. While there are perfect alternatives (Facebook Messenger, Google Talk, WhatsApp, to name only a few), from time to time I still find a couple of unread iMessages, when I switch on my iPhone 5.

One last word
At the beginning I stated, that I tried Android many times before and it never worked for me. I figured, there are two main reasons for this. First, Android has made a major step forward with Jelly Bean. It just wasn't on pair with iOS before. Second, and more important, I found the stock Android experience provided by Google the best you can get. After switching to the Nexus 4, I tried my Samsung S III again, and it did not work for me.

What Samsung does with its TouchWiz modifications and many of the other tiny changes – and other non Nexus vendors, too – totally ruins the experience for me. If you're coming from iOS I highly recommend choosing one of the Nexus devices with guaranteed updates and a clean Android environment the way Google envisioned it.

share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

41 comments for "An iPhone Loverís Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely."

01-05-2013, 02:19 PMonline - #2
coolio 44 heat pts44

d 
space
$16,401 | POWERFUL
I don't think an iphone lover truly exists.. There's only android lovers and people who aren't yet aware that they love android more
 01-05-2013, 02:27 PMaway - #3
A.G 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$36,592 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by coolio
I don't think an iphone lover truly exists.. There's only android lovers and people who aren't yet aware that they love android more
The only thing that doesn't exist is your intelligence.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I'll drop the iPhone at the drop of a hat when Google starts investing in their phones in the long run. I'm not down with buying a $500+ phone that will only be supported for as long as they can run ads for it.
 01-05-2013, 02:30 PMaway - #4
layzie8171 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,261 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by A.G

I'll drop the iPhone at the drop of a hat when Google starts investing in their phones in the long run. I'm not down with buying a $500+ phone that will only be supported for as long as they can run ads for it.
$350 unlocked. and iphone hasnt been the "go to product" in a while, and it will continue that way until they change #### up.
 01-05-2013, 05:11 PMaway - #5
RocawearMan 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$1,537 | 7976312
Ive been a huge android supporter since the first droid. I just bought an iphone 5 last week and it is a big upgrade from my droid razr maxx (ive had droid 1, droid x, thunderbolt, razr maxx). everything is just so much easier and smoother on ios. ios 6 hasnt hiccuped once, android always freezes up after a couple months of use.

android is only good for rooting and customization which ive done over and over again. but im at a point where i need a day to day phone which will last longer than 6 months.

imessage and facetime are also huge benefits of having an iphone, especially when you know a lot of people with iphones.

switching to an iphone was painless and i do not regret it at all
 01-05-2013, 05:22 PMaway - #6
Adamsville 115 heat pts115

d 
space
$11,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by A.G

typical ignorant a$s isheep

when has Google released a phone and not supported it?
what phone has Google released that costed $500+?
 01-05-2013, 05:30 PMaway - #7
KURUPTION!!! 478 heat pts478

d 
space
$32,904 | POWERFUL
This is exactly how I felt when I copped an SIII, except the only thing I miss is Airplay because I'm never getting rid of my Apple TV. I don't know what dude was talking about with the customization. I had some pretty nice homescreens on Froyo, but they've come a long way. Nice read.
 01-05-2013, 05:35 PMaway - #8
layzie8171 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,261 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RocawearMan
Ive been a huge android supporter since the first droid. I just bought an iphone 5 last week and it is a big upgrade from my droid razr maxx (ive had droid 1, droid x, thunderbolt, razr maxx). everything is just so much easier and smoother on ios. ios 6 hasnt hiccuped once, android always freezes up after a couple months of use.

android is only good for rooting and customization which ive done over and over again. but im at a point where i need a day to day phone which will last longer than 6 months.

imessage and facetime are also huge benefits of having an iphone, especially when you know a lot of people with iphones.

switching to an iphone was painless and i do not regret it at all
thats where you went wrong
 01-05-2013, 06:18 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$11,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KURUPTION!!!
This is exactly how I felt when I copped an SIII, except the only thing I miss is Airplay because I'm never getting rid of my Apple TV. I don't know what dude was talking about with the customization. I had some pretty nice homescreens on Froyo, but they've come a long way. Nice read.
word... I kept my #### looking nice since Cupcake
 01-05-2013, 06:43 PMaway - #10
A.G 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$36,592 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by layzie8171
$350 unlocked. and iphone hasnt been the "go to product" in a while, and it will continue that way until they change #### up.
I'm not necessarily talking about the Nexus 4, but generally most of the "flagship" Android devices cost in the neighborhood of $500.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
Not really, but if it makes you feel better, sure.

Originally Posted by Adamsville
typical ignorant a$s isheep

when has Google released a phone and not supported it?
what phone has Google released that costed $500+?
How am I an isheep? I could give two ####s about any Apple product, but the fact remains, that Apple supports their products much better than Google supports Android devices. The Galaxy S3 cost more than $500 when it was released. How long do you think Google is going to continue to support the device? Whereas Apple is still releasing updates (and at the same time as the other Apple phones) for the 3GS for #### sake.

When is the Galaxy S2 gonna get the lates Android version? How crippled will it be?

####, the Nexus S isn't even that old of a phone and it's not getting any love anymore.

The Galaxy Nexus is probably not going to be updated past Jellybean. It sucks as a consumer, yet people still allow companies to operate this way.

That's the only point I'm trying to get across to you idiots.

As if anyone who doesn't completely dive in head-first on the Android di#ksuck train is just an apple fanboy..

Last edited by A.G; 01-05-2013 at 06:48 PM..
 01-05-2013, 06:49 PMaway - #11
KURUPTION!!! 478 heat pts478

d 
space
$32,904 | POWERFUL
Isn't the Nexus by Google though? I thought the updates are handle individually by the manufacturers, and it's been noted in the past that Samsung isn't the fastest with updates, I wouldn't think the Nexus would have these issues. I could be wrong though.
 01-05-2013, 06:54 PMaway - #12
xFMx ALCHEMiST 139 heat pts139

d 
space
$7,372 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RocawearMan

comparing those phones with an iPhone 5 is not fair.
the iPhone 5 should only be compared to the Nexus 4 and maybe the GS3/Note 2, 2012 phones. Would u compare a Nexus 4 to a iPhone 4S/3GS?

Google supports THEIR devices very well, im talking bout the Nexus S/One/G-Nex
not manufacturers phones using Google's android base, Moto Razr/HTC Evo/Samsung GS2
 01-05-2013, 07:24 PMaway - #13
Sabotage 8 heat pts

d 
space
$17,088 | POWERFUL
Can we get a real article? Gizmodo is a joke. they are the fox news of the technology world
 01-05-2013, 07:39 PMaway - #14

d 
space
$11,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by A.G

How am I an isheep? I could give two ####s about any Apple product, but the fact remains, that Apple supports their products much better than Google supports Android devices. The Galaxy S3 cost more than $500 when it was released. How long do you think Google is going to continue to support the device? Whereas Apple is still releasing updates (and at the same time as the other Apple phones) for the 3GS for #### sake.

When is the Galaxy S2 gonna get the lates Android version? How crippled will it be?

####, the Nexus S isn't even that old of a phone and it's not getting any love anymore.

The Galaxy Nexus is probably not going to be updated past Jellybean. It sucks as a consumer, yet people still allow companies to operate this way.

That's the only point I'm trying to get across to you idiots.

As if anyone who doesn't completely dive in head-first on the Android di#ksuck train is just an apple fanboy..
Google doesnt make the S3, S2 or any other previous versions of it
the Nexus S is 3 years old and has Jellybean
G Nexus will 100% run the next version of Android

ignorance is bliss
 01-05-2013, 08:36 PMaway - #15
A.G 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$36,592 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Adamsville
Google doesnt make the S3, S2 or any other previous versions of it
the Nexus S is 3 years old and has Jellybean
G Nexus will 100% run the next version of Android

ignorance is bliss
Nexus S is 3 years old now? And it's already been excluded from any further Google updates past 4.1.2.

And even if Google doesn't make the S2, S3 or any of the Samsung phones, it's considered one of the flagship Android devices.

Half of Android users are still on Gingerbread. Even if Google isn't responsible for putting out the updates to each phone, they're still responsible for making sure as many phones as possible are compatible with the software, yet all evidence indicates they don't give half a #### about it.
 01-05-2013, 08:52 PMaway - #16
NBA Brawler 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$12,627 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by A.G
I'm not necessarily talking about the Nexus 4, but generally most of the "flagship" Android devices cost in the neighborhood of $500.
Maybe if you're buying it off contract. I have never seen a flagship android phone cost that much with a 2-year contract.

I was just at Walmart today and they have the S3 on all carriers for $98.
 01-05-2013, 10:34 PMaway - #17
Tha754kid 

d 
space
$4,245 | 8844734
Originally Posted by A.G
Nexus S is 3 years old now? And it's already been excluded from any further Google updates past 4.1.2.

And even if Google doesn't make the S2, S3 or any of the Samsung phones, it's considered one of the flagship Android devices.

Half of Android users are still on Gingerbread. Even if Google isn't responsible for putting out the updates to each phone, they're still responsible for making sure as many phones as possible are compatible with the software, yet all evidence indicates they don't give half a #### about it.
It's up to the manufacturers to make sure as many phones as possible are compatible. THEY don't give a #### because they are into selling as many NEW phone models as possible. Motorola is notorious for this. My old Droid X2 is humming along nicely on ICS but they claimed it wasn't possible. Lying fukks, you can't trick me into buying new hardware!
 01-06-2013, 12:25 AMaway - #18
Mr X 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$1,916 | 10394598
all you phone nerds can go #### yourselves

iPhone >>>>>>>
 01-06-2013, 12:33 AMaway - #19
pete jr 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,723 | 7019042
Hey, it was better for him. That doesn't mean it's best for me. For what I use my phone for, the iphone is perfect. Its snappy and responsive. Its simple to use. I'm not a "power" user though. I don't expect my phone to be a tablet or mini pc.
 01-06-2013, 01:15 AMaway - #20
fat_boyy21 241 heat pts241

d 
space
$7,460 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by A.G

how dumb are you.. thats like saying a computer from 10 years ago should be running windows 8 right now. you're obviously really confused about the update process with android and ios. android updates always come with 100% of the update ios updates come in partial sizes depending on if you have the latest device or not. apple could have updated the ipad 2 and iphone 4 to have siri but they kept it out so that people would buy the latest devices. same goes for carriers and manufacturers that put android on their devices. they keep a slow update process so that people buy the latest devices. also you gotta understand that not everyphone is top of the line and so they cant and wont be updated because the hardware isnt good enough. and lets be serious for a minute, you think half of android users being on gingerbread is bad but you can do more on that then you can on ios.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Sep 30 - Breaking News: First Ebola Patient in America Confirmed
79 comments
Video inside  Taken 3 Trailer
56 comments
Video inside  Forza Horizon 2 |OT| The Only Club for Driving you'll ..
98 comments
 Image(s) inside Chinese Billionaire Says: If Youíre Poor At 35, You De...
New reply 16 seconds ago - 78 comments - by Shadiah
 NFL Jon Gruden Mulling Raiders If...
New reply 26 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Bkjj11
  Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor |ot| The Lotr Game We'v...
New reply 31 seconds ago - 157 comments - by CrAkKedOuT
 NBA Dion Waiters Call John Wall 'best Backcourt' Comment &...
New reply 27 minutes ago - 136 comments - by Bkjj11
 NBA Kobe Disses Swaggy P
New reply 7 minutes ago - 104 comments - by Bkjj11
  Sep 28 - Nearly 2 Million Americans Have Chlamydia
New reply 28 minutes ago - 129 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
  Sep 30 - Two Female High School Teachers Accused Of Se...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 76 comments - by Blockburner28
 Video inside Rosenberg Sheds Light On Amber & Wiz Divorce (chea...
New reply 32 minutes ago - 156 comments - by grad051709

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,817 fans of BX | none new today 4,798 following | none new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.