This is BX @ Boxden.com

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Poll results - Rating
5 Stars 2 10.00%
4 Stars 12 60.00%
3 Stars 4 20.00%
2 Stars 0 0%
1 Star 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only) [Click here to become a member]

New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

Cloud Atlas (2012)
 11-24-2012, 09:19 AMaway - #21
HHS 

d 
space
$5,112 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Vancouver
Didn't you think that using the same actors throughout all the different stories was 1. a bit obvious and 2. really going hard on something that was only hinted at in the book as a possibility, and only for one person, not a set of people?
I think when going from a novel to a film it's understandable to be more obvious and heavy-handed, and to play up a certain theme, because you don't have the time to develop the story in the way a novel does. I think if they hadn't used the same actors, and also if they hadn't done the quicker jumps between stories, then it might seem much more disjointed, especially to someone who hadn't read the novel.
 11-28-2012, 07:52 AMonline - #22
CTre 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$25,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Kal Tourette
movie is great to the initiated and enlightened intellectual thinkers but horrible and bad to the short attention span, no patience having, unenlightened, ignorant bunch who u probably catch at a twilight show or madea movie lol
Hellurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 11-28-2012, 08:42 AMonline - #23
BlackRepub85 8 heat pts

d 
space
$4,786 | POWERFUL
movie is great to the initiated and enlightened intellectual thinkers but horrible and bad to the short attention span, no patience having, unenlightened, ignorant bunch who u probably catch at a twilight show or madea movie lol
I disagree, I have a horrible attention span and I have no patience, but I found the skipping between eras very attention grabbing. Me not reading the book and not knowing there was a book, it kept me alert figuring out what's going on. Also, I didn't read anything about the movie, I just picked it because Halle was in it honestly and accientally fell into a good movie.
 12-01-2012, 03:58 AMaway - #24
Vancouver 9 heat pts

d 
space
$2,276 | 10576235
Originally Posted by HHS
I think when going from a novel to a film it's understandable to be more obvious and heavy-handed, and to play up a certain theme, because you don't have the time to develop the story in the way a novel does. I think if they hadn't used the same actors, and also if they hadn't done the quicker jumps between stories, then it might seem much more disjointed, especially to someone who hadn't read the novel.
Good points. Still, I think making a bunch of characters go throughout time was too much, when it was only the possibility of the main character, with the birth mark. I haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer was pretty expansive. I also thought adding a love story through the ages was reaching as well. Did they at least have the line where Cavendish called the reincarnation in the Luisa Rey story too new age-y? I thought that was an important part of the book that gave readers who didn't care for the theme of reincarnation an out, especially because I think the book is more about reoccuring themes of the human experience, not actually reoccuring people.
 12-06-2012, 05:41 PMaway - #25
Mr_Plenty 

d 
space
$2,103 | 4399388
i gotta watch it

Last edited by Mr_Plenty; 12-06-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: dont matter my nigga
 12-23-2012, 07:05 AMaway - #26
freshprinceoba 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$6,259 | POWERFUL

So you mean you right?

Gotta love pretentious people like you This site if full of m.

This movie isnt for 'smart' people, it's really not that hard to understand.

It does try way to hard though and to be honest it's just an average movie, the book is so much better.

3/5
 12-23-2012, 07:39 PMaway - #27
Daville502 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,419 | 5643808
I've fallen asleep on this movie twice but i plan on getting through it at some point. It just hasn't been interesting enough to hold my attention.
 01-01-2013, 04:45 PMaway - #28
Mr_Plenty 

d 
space
$2,103 | 4399388
Ok, this movie is not good to me. Why you may ask? Because you spend too much time trying to connect with all the characters then connect all the characters together and figure out what the hell is actually occuring.

The different story lines are not bad but then they switch to another story line when you are finally being engaged. Then theres the portion where halle and tom hanks speak hard to understand languages. Then theres the #### portion. I can give this movie a 5/10 because afterall it wasn't dumb and involved quite some thinking but on the other hand i want to be entertained.

Don't forget this film is damn near 3hrs long. whew.

New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot > New Big Screen and DVD Movie Ratings

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Aug 20 - Park Ranger brutally beaten by teen...
63 comments
Aug 20 - Darren Wilson Brutally beaten... (according to Fox News)
161 comments
Video inside  Aug 20 - St. Louis Police Release Video of Powell Shoo..
63 comments
  Why Drizzy Calls Toronto "the 6ix"
New reply 2 minutes ago - 82 comments - by Jay Jae
  Rapper Gucci Mane Sentenced On Federal Gun Charge To 3...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 132 comments - by GameTheory
 NBA Russell Northbrook Out With His Lady..dime (pic)
New reply 2 minutes ago - 76 comments - by sportzzbrainz
 Image(s) inside There Are Two Kinds Of People In This World
New reply 7 minutes ago - 58 comments - by blafy
 Video inside Nicki Minaj - Anaconda [music Video]
New reply 2 minutes ago - 294 comments - by Danny M
 NBA Report: Drose Has Pain In His Knee....fml!
New reply 16 minutes ago - 174 comments - by sportzzbrainz
 NBA Brandon Jennings: Kobe Bryant Is The Greatest Ever
New reply 4 minutes ago - 153 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
  Netflix, Amazon Prime Or Hulu?
New reply 24 minutes ago - 54 comments - by The Bearded One

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.