This is BX @ Boxden.com

Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)

Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)
 03-01-2012, 05:51 PMonline - #21
Optimus Crime 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,893 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Bman409
Yeah I kinda of figured that much cause it's the same thing with the folks at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. I always do my homework when buying new products and getting other folks opinions, etc. Doesn't matter what it is from small to big, I gotta research.

The thing that k!lls me though is that the salesman put on a act.

I ain't gonna lie though I'm not all too good with the whole insurance stuff, interest rates, credit scores, etc since I'm use to just buying stuff outright. But this is a good thread for folks that don't know.
A lot of people aren't... And this is where car dealerships make a k!llING. When I was selling cars.... I would make around $3000-$5000 a month. In the October, November and December I worked there one of our finance guys make $12k, 11k, and 15k and October and November were slow months for us. People hit the salesmen hard, and get the good deal... Then getr###D on the backend. Salesman makes a little bit of pocket change... Finance guy makes a k!llING. In fact I had deals where I was making a good deal of money and the finance guy cut into the money I was making on the deal (I went from making $650 on the deal to $225) so he could reach the number to get financed and make his money. I was HOT...

And to answer your question about salesmen frontin... Car salesmen (Generally) see themselves like the DJs used to. They feel like sales is the game.. and the product doesn't matter because they can sell anything. In my area the salesmen when from dealership to dealership. Selling Fords, then switching to Nissan, Honda, then end up at a Chevy dealership. They honestly have no time to actually learn the product... and they see taking the time to learn it as cutting into their pockets because that's time they could be spending making money. I took it upon myself to learn as much as I can about everything i had on the lot, but honestly a majority of customers prefer the show.

And honestly.. You can do all of the research about cars you want... But in the end it doesn't matter... Fact of the matter is... No matter how much you know.. How tough you are to deal with etc. A car dealership is not going to make a deal with you.. unless they receive a benefit from it. They'll cut the salesman's money with the quickness (So when a salesman tells you "Man I'm not making ANY money on this" They could be telling you the truth) and hide the money in ultra creative ways so it seems like the deal is nice (and it may be overall) but they're still making SOME money on you. Fact of the matter is... Making big money off of single car deals these days is a rarity up front... But the car business finds ways to survive and make money regardless...

Sorry for being long winded as I realize that's a lot to read... But hopefully it helps someone out
 03-01-2012, 06:41 PMaway - #22
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Optimus Crime
A lot of people aren't... And this is where car dealerships make a k!llING. When I was selling cars.... I would make around $3000-$5000 a month. In the October, November and December I worked there one of our finance guys make $12k, 11k, and 15k and October and November were slow months for us. People hit the salesmen hard, and get the good deal... Then getr###D on the backend. Salesman makes a little bit of pocket change... Finance guy makes a k!llING. In fact I had deals where I was making a good deal of money and the finance guy cut into the money I was making on the deal (I went from making $650 on the deal to $225) so he could reach the number to get financed and make his money. I was HOT...

And to answer your question about salesmen frontin... Car salesmen (Generally) see themselves like the DJs used to. They feel like sales is the game.. and the product doesn't matter because they can sell anything. In my area the salesmen when from dealership to dealership. Selling Fords, then switching to Nissan, Honda, then end up at a Chevy dealership. They honestly have no time to actually learn the product... and they see taking the time to learn it as cutting into their pockets because that's time they could be spending making money. I took it upon myself to learn as much as I can about everything i had on the lot, but honestly a majority of customers prefer the show.

And honestly.. You can do all of the research about cars you want... But in the end it doesn't matter... Fact of the matter is... No matter how much you know.. How tough you are to deal with etc. A car dealership is not going to make a deal with you.. unless they receive a benefit from it. They'll cut the salesman's money with the quickness (So when a salesman tells you "Man I'm not making ANY money on this" They could be telling you the truth) and hide the money in ultra creative ways so it seems like the deal is nice (and it may be overall) but they're still making SOME money on you. Fact of the matter is... Making big money off of single car deals these days is a rarity up front... But the car business finds ways to survive and make money regardless...

Sorry for being long winded as I realize that's a lot to read... But hopefully it helps someone out
Nice post man. I love hearing real responses on the matter. As a salesman with no finance department I get the benefits of selling backend as well. As in my previous posts, I won't lie, it makes me the most money. My dealership is a lot different than the other guys though. We have been a straight family business for 4 generations. 90% of the time all of the sales staff are immediate family members. We give a damn about the product we sell and actually take the time to learn them inside and out.

We all have an investment in the business and we want to make sure we stay open for another 4 generations. The average buyer knows a lot more than 10-20 years ago. You can't bull#### people and try to oversell them. Okay, sometimes you do get that laydown which you take advantage of ... but most customers know exactly what they want.
 03-10-2012, 05:56 AMaway - #23
Bman409 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$16,646 | POWERFUL

@ the finance guy making more money than the salesman, why is that though? I mean as far as I know all the finance guy is doing is making the customer sign a little piece of paper and just explaining about payment, insurance, warranty information, etc pretty much going sitting in the A/C and banking money.

Yeah I agree with you about salesman thinking it's a game but I think it's harder when they can't play their game when the customer is on point on what they want. But what I'm saying is that the salesman could at least learn about the product before trying to spit game. There's time where I go to the lot and just act like I don't know #### about cars and just want to see if the salesman knows about it, that at least makes me feel comfortable with the product and salesman if they know something about it. I know salesman be having a field day with folks that are gullible.

I know the dealer won't make a deal with the customer, there's no debate on that, but I'm just saying for the salesman to at least do some sort of homework on cars he's trying to sell. Knowing about the product you're trying to sell boost up some kind of confidence in themselves and the buyer, would it not? Like build some sort of trust, even if it's a game or not. I hate talking to folks that think they know everything about nothing and swear up and down they're right, irritates the #### outta me. How you gonna sell me something that you know nothing about?

I've found out that a lot of people don't realize that once you sign your name on the title and drive it off the lot the value of the vehicle decreases instantly.
 03-10-2012, 06:06 AMaway - #24
EscoNore 63 heat pts63

d 
space
$10,443 | POWERFUL
@ the finance guy making more money than the salesman, why is that though? I mean as far as I know all the finance guy is doing is making the customer sign a little piece of paper and just explaining about payment, insurance, warranty information, etc pretty much going sitting in the A/C and banking money.
The finance guy has to deal with the banks, get approvals, buy down rates, sell warranties, etc.

It may not sound like much, but it is.
 03-11-2012, 03:07 PMaway - #25
trey2cool 

d 
space
$1,260 | 2308778
Originally Posted by EscoNore
The finance guy has to deal with the banks, get approvals, buy down rates, sell warranties, etc.

yeah they have alot of state/federal guidelines to follow to make sure paperwork is done correctly, i seen a book someone had to study to move from sales to F&I, thicker than the bible
 03-11-2012, 03:16 PMaway - #26
Bman409 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$16,646 | POWERFUL

Originally Posted by trey2cool
yeah they have alot of state/federal guidelines to follow to make sure paperwork is done correctly, i seen a book someone had to study to move from sales to F&I, thicker than the bible
Really? So how would one become a finance person?
 03-11-2012, 06:48 PMaway - #27
trey2cool 

d 
space
$1,260 | 2308778
Really? So how would one become a finance person?
when i was at a dealership, they are gonna make u a salesman and say that you have to earn your way up by selling cars and they will approach you if u are making good numbers after a few years.

because of the high turnover in the business, it shouldnt be hard if you stick around and move units.

now if u got prior experience, you might be able to jump right into it.

there was a guy i worked with recently that has been a salesman for 15 years, was making serious bank, and he was asked numerous times to move up to manager or finance, and he declined everytime cuz of how much he can make in sales.
 03-12-2012, 07:53 AMaway - #28
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
I guess I have it good being both the salesman and finance officer. No one else is in the way taking part of my commission :) It does take a lot longer to deal with individual deals but is worth it in the long run.
 03-13-2012, 06:35 PMaway - #29
Bman409 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$16,646 | POWERFUL
Ok.. so do y'all have to take a class on being a salesman or something?
 03-13-2012, 08:47 PMaway - #30
trey2cool 

d 
space
$1,260 | 2308778
Ok.. so do y'all have to take a class on being a salesman or something?
a large dealership will train you for a week or 2, mainly on how to deal with customers and their objections, going thru the entire process from the greeting to having them drive off the lot in a new car.

using call scripts

show you how to use the various documents.

training videos from a sales guru.

and product knowledge training.
 03-16-2012, 02:00 AMonline - #31
Optimus Crime 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,893 | POWERFUL

Not to mention they can directly make money off of bumping interest rates...

They get a approval from a credit Union for 4.5%... and then when they tell you what you got... "He good news! We were able to get you an approval at a 6.7% interest rate...

A $30k loan at 4.5 interest rate [@ 60 months] will have you paying roughly $33.5k (total)

Adding that 6.7% interest rate will have you paying total roughly $35.4. They just straight up made the dealership $2k... and most people wouldn't even realize they got jerked...
 03-16-2012, 08:28 AMaway - #32
Jacc Blacc 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$17,311 | POWERFUL
Not to mention they can directly make money off of bumping interest rates...

They get a approval from a credit Union for 4.5%... and then when they tell you what you got... "He good news! We were able to get you an approval at a 6.7% interest rate...

A $30k loan at 4.5 interest rate [@ 60 months] will have you paying roughly $33.5k (total)

Adding that 6.7% interest rate will have you paying total roughly $35.4. They just straight up made the dealership $2k... and most people wouldn't even realize they got jerked...
wouldnt that be illegal to lie about the interest rate from a bank.......
 03-16-2012, 10:27 PMaway - #33
tregan2149 2 heat pts

d 
space
$53 | 1064847
Originally Posted by Krayziecmb
Big city dealers do bait-and-switch very often. Don't be suckered in by the price u see in the paper. There is always 2 blocks of fine print that u can barely see.
This is a good tip. There is a psychological theory called the lowball technique which car dealers use often, it involves advertising the car at a discounted, too good to be true price. After the customers come in for the deal, the dealer then removes the original discount and presents the actual price (several thousand higher). The dealer does this at the last minute because, by this point, the customer has basically verbally and publicly committed to buying the car, like coming in to the showroom, signing stuff, handshakes, etc. They create their own reasons in their head why the car is good, and end up buying it at the higher price.

So if a dealer does the bait and switch, remind yourself that you only came in for the advertised deal and haggle to get that deal.
 03-18-2012, 11:31 AMonline - #34
Optimus Crime 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,893 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jacc Blacc
wouldnt that be illegal to lie about the interest rate from a bank.......
Lol no... Because it's not lying about an interest rate because that's not how interest rates work. In fact there are laws and whatnot regulating how much they can bump an interest rate from what got approved (I think it's 3 percent or something like that... I been out the game a minute). It's not lying per se. It's not like they're telling you you got 6 and actually charged uou 9.

They really get away with it because a lot of people have a note in mind.. And as long as that number gets hit... They're good
 03-18-2012, 09:25 PMaway - #35
iamliko 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,322 | 3352893
Another salesman checking in... Handle all Internet leads at my dealership... GMC- Cadillac- Chevy-Buick- NISSAN - Hyundai.... Also about 200 Used cars on our lot... I sell about 20 cars a month always top 3 outta 20 salesman.. Last three months been number 1 in sales here... .. Only job I ever had when I wasnt locked up.. With my record now I wouldnt be able to find a job worth a #### but selling cars.. Dealership had to get their attorney to get the Motor Vehicle board to grant me my sales license back...They only did it because I make this dealership alot of money .....
 04-02-2012, 06:48 PMaway - #36
franchise 57 heat pts57

d 
space
$7,480 | POWERFUL
lease new, buy used
 04-04-2012, 11:26 PMaway - #37
Calamari Pasta 

d 
space
$851 | 3948835
im feelin all of this. im workin on this certified pre owned sonata at rick case in atl...
 04-12-2012, 10:57 PMaway - #38
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
We just did a 2 day sale and it worked out awesome for everyone but me lol. Every customer I got had bad enough credit I couldn't do anything. We only have 4 people in the sales department including the sales manager and dealer principle/owner. We sold 15 units in 2 days... that is really damn good for us. If anyone else is in the industry and wants a sales boost I have a personal contact that can give you a huge boost.
 04-12-2012, 11:09 PMaway - #39
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by tregan2149
This is a good tip. There is a psychological theory called the lowball technique which car dealers use often, it involves advertising the car at a discounted, too good to be true price. After the customers come in for the deal, the dealer then removes the original discount and presents the actual price (several thousand higher). The dealer does this at the last minute because, by this point, the customer has basically verbally and publicly committed to buying the car, like coming in to the showroom, signing stuff, handshakes, etc. They create their own reasons in their head why the car is good, and end up buying it at the higher price.

So if a dealer does the bait and switch, remind yourself that you only came in for the advertised deal and haggle to get that deal.
My place works completely different than this. We are in a small town and compete with city dealers that low ball us for volume bonuses.

We have been in business for 80+ years because we are honest from the start in my opinion. If a customer comes in with an national advertised price I won't even show them the vehicle until they have the ad explained to them.

No point in hyping someone up just to come at them with a much higher number.
 04-13-2012, 04:21 PMaway - #40
iamliko 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,322 | 3352893
How many cars do you other salesman in this thread sell a month?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Xbox One's struggles are traceable to one bad decision
65 comments
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Owners for Fraudulently Refunding ..
80 comments
NBA Carmelo Anthony busts a nut in Lebron's eye (video)
91 comments
 NBA Official Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers Vs Chicago Bull
New reply 3 minutes ago - 1369 comments - by Akira Son Bio
 Image(s) inside Oct 28 - Life Under Obama Sucks. And These Numbers Pro...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 115 comments - by KFrizzle
 NFL Halloween Costume
New reply 12 minutes ago - 63 comments - by Frasier
 Image(s) inside Hov. Migos. Rowdy Rebel
New reply 22 minutes ago - 66 comments - by chrismb
 Image(s) inside Pic Of Kidd Kidd Ridin Around In Niissan
New reply 17 minutes ago - 54 comments - by ajeana
 Video inside Why This Old Nigga Was Stoppin Sh-t Like He Was Goku?
New reply 34 minutes ago - 81 comments - by HeatMafia410
 Video inside Daylyt Video In A Nice Pink Dress And Thot Wear Dissin...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 52 comments - by Star
 Image(s) inside Nas Gettin Sucked Off By Madonna In The Studio (pic)
New reply 56 minutes ago - 124 comments - by PyrexVisionary

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,834 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.