This is BX @ Boxden.com

Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)

Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)
topic by KrayzieCMB - 02-18-2012, 03:51 AM - Boxden > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Anyone else here sell at a dealer? Would love to compile with other salesmen on here to help each other out and also let the bx know our markups, best deals etc..

Latest Rides Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

76 comments for "Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)"

02-18-2012, 07:14 AMaway - #2
Bman409 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$16,633 | POWERFUL
I'm not a car salesman but I do dislike them due to the fact that most of them that I've encountered, at a dealership, don't know what they're talking about and just try to make me purchase an expensive vehicle that I'm not interested in. I love to play the "I don't know #### about cars" just to see how well the salesman knows.

So my question is, why do they put on a front? I'm not saying that you're doing so but in general and to the ones that do.
 02-19-2012, 09:59 PMaway - #3
Supreme7 

d 
space
$7,025 | 9468779
give us some tips on getting the best deal
 02-20-2012, 02:16 AMaway - #4
daviw1024 

d 
space
$65 | 284390
Originally Posted by Supreme7
give us some tips on getting the best deal
I used to work at a big chevy dealership here in Daygo.....best advice I can give is once you deal and haggle for a minute actually get up and leave the showroom acting like you are over it and about to leave......easy 1-2k off base price
 02-20-2012, 10:39 PMaway - #5
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Bman409
I'm not a car salesman but I do dislike them due to the fact that most of them that I've encountered, at a dealership, don't know what they're talking about and just try to make me purchase an expensive vehicle that I'm not interested in. I love to play the "I don't know #### about cars" just to see how well the salesman knows.

So my question is, why do they put on a front? I'm not saying that you're doing so but in general and to the ones that do.
They put on a front cause they don't know their product and are just trying to make a buck. I am part of a family tradition and am passionate about it. I am in Canada though so prices will vary.

I am sorry for taking too long to respond to #### but I have been really busy at work recently. My main point of this thread is checking on markups and trade-ins for fellas. I'll be as honest as possible cause none of you will ever be at my dealerships (as I see a lot of Americans and Europeans on here)
 02-20-2012, 10:41 PMaway - #6
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Big city dealers do bait-and-switch very often. Don't be suckered in by the price u see in the paper. There is always 2 blocks of fine print that u can barely see.
 02-20-2012, 10:43 PMaway - #7
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
I did 150 hours of training last year on my own time to learn this business.. let alone the 40-70 hours a week a worked. All we are looking to make is $1000-$1400 off of our wholesale price on new vehicles.

Used vehicles is a completely different beast. They are priced according to km/year only.

Edit: When I give that price it is on a new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a Hemi. The base model Journeys, Vans, 200s etc we literally have a $600 markup from factory on. Which means we can't sell it for more than that.

What is helping my brand at the moment is the rebates they are offering on vans and trucks.

Last edited by KrayzieCMB; 02-20-2012 at 11:05 PM..
 02-20-2012, 10:47 PMaway - #8
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Where I make my most money on a sale is #1 Insurance on the loan. #2 Actual profit on the sale (I get 20%). #3 Extended warranty (Buy it cause it saves u in the long run with computers in the newer vehicles). #4 Undercoating package (Only applicable to people who live close to the ocean or people who have heavy winters) Salt k!lls a vehicle if you don't keep your undercoating/rust protection.
 02-21-2012, 12:07 PMonline - #9
EscoNore 63 heat pts63

d 
space
$10,438 | POWERFUL
I used to do sales, now I'm Internet Manager at a Hyundai/Kia dealership.
 02-21-2012, 12:11 PMaway - #10
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by EscoNore
I used to do sales, now I'm Internet Manager at a Hyundai/Kia dealership.
Feel free to add any info you deem relevant. I want people from bx to go into dealerships knowing exaclty what to expect. We aren't as slimey as people think.
 02-21-2012, 12:36 PMonline - #11
EscoNore 63 heat pts63

d 
space
$10,438 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krayziecmb
Feel free to add any info you deem relevant. I want people from bx to go into dealerships knowing exaclty what to expect. We aren't as slimey as people think.
So true....but I aint gonna front, there's a lot of slimey NY/NJ dealers from what I know.

But yeah, a lot of people don't realize the very little markup in base units. The markup in new cars is all the added packages (navi, ent system, etc.)

Also, used cars and new cars get an adjustment or "pack" before salespeople get their recaps...so that pack, which is pretty much ad costs, shop costs, etc. is taken away from the gross, which brings down our commission. But idk might be different at other dealers.
 02-21-2012, 01:09 PMonline - #12
trey2cool 

d 
space
$1,259 | 2308778
i sold for 3 and a half weeks, had 6 deals, and like 5 potential customers coming back towards the end of the year. then i quit cuz i found a gig thats related to my degree.

worked at a nice automall. the training was great. depending on the type of place u go to, most salesmen arent really grimey. we are taught to land you on the car that works for you.

i really hated the hours, working 9am-9pm (if im lucky) just to sell cars is bogus. its hard for the new guys cuz u dont have that customer base that you can call, so most of your time is spent waiting on fresh ups.

i hated spending time with customers, going thru the write up on a car they really want, only to find that their credit score is a 499, or they decided not to deal with having a car payment.

managers using the 'carrot on a stick' method to keep morale up.

for buyers, PLEASE make sure that your credit is in good standing. saves time for you and the salesman.

i dont know if its the same in every state but my state has a "doc fee" which is about $500. buyers, state that you will NOT buy a car unless that is charge is removed. they will tell you that they have to list it anyway, which is fine.....but they should move $500 of the sticker price then to make up for it.

the dealership i worked at had accessories already installed on the car, which made the price go up (nitrogen in tires, roof racks, window tint, chrome door handles)....you can ask them to remove it, but that would be a pain, so try to avoid dealers that do this to their cars.
 02-21-2012, 03:18 PMaway - #13
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
I deal with a lot of shady credit in my area and get my time wasted a lot. I also don't have much of a customer base yet. So I am stuck waiting at my desk staring into the lot waiting for ups and there are days where we get literally 0.

We charge a $399 admin fee at our place which is fairly reasonable. My father checked out a dealer when he was in Florida and they charge $999 admin fee.

Also, to all the people that don't want to buy from a dealer because you think it is more expensive. Just remember, we will always give you some sort of warranty with your purchase. If you buy private the buyer won't guarantee anything.
 02-21-2012, 03:20 PMaway - #14
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
I also feel envious of any salesman that has a business manager. All they really have to do is sell the car to the customer and transfer them to F&I. At my business we do everything ourselves which makes doing a deal take an extensive amount of time.
 02-26-2012, 10:14 AMaway - #15
Calamari Pasta 

d 
space
$851 | 3948835
Damn I'm glad I came to this forum. A Hyundai internet manager and a Dodge salesman if im not mistaken? #### I'm lookin between a new Elantra and new SXT challenger (yeah very similar). My credit score is 750 and obviously one car is a lot more "sensible" esp with this summer's gas prices goin up.

I'm in the Columbus/ATL ga area and have test driven both but really couldnt get a feel naturally bc I drove them for 5 mins with the awkward a$s salesman right there. I'm trying to resist leasing the chally bc I'm not gonna be one of those dudes that just copped a hot car off impulse but can't afford to do anything else but I have been eye####ing that thang for years. I'm really just trying to find the monthly difference between buying (not leasing) the elantra limited and a challenger with the super sport package. any tips?
 02-26-2012, 12:34 PMaway - #16
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
I am selling in Canada so prices may vary a bit. Let me do up some numbers Monday morning for you just so you can see where you are at. Our interest rates will probably be a bit different but you should atleast be able to get a feeling for it.

Incase I get busy tomorrow and forget, don't hesitate to send me a pm and remind me.
 02-26-2012, 12:37 PMaway - #17
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
Also, please list any extra options you want with the challenger. I am a$suming your awkward salesman gave you a brochure on the vehicle.

On a side note, I don't go with customers on a lot of test drives just because of the fact that I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. I get better response from letting them take a vehicle on their own and judging their reaction when they get back.
 02-27-2012, 06:56 PMaway - #18
Bman409 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$16,633 | POWERFUL
They put on a front cause they don't know their product and are just trying to make a buck. I am part of a family tradition and am passionate about it. I am in Canada though so prices will vary.

I am sorry for taking too long to respond to #### but I have been really busy at work recently. My main point of this thread is checking on markups and trade-ins for fellas. I'll be as honest as possible cause none of you will ever be at my dealerships (as I see a lot of Americans and Europeans on here)
Yeah I kinda of figured that much cause it's the same thing with the folks at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. I always do my homework when buying new products and getting other folks opinions, etc. Doesn't matter what it is from small to big, I gotta research.

The thing that k!lls me though is that the salesman put on a act.

I ain't gonna lie though I'm not all too good with the whole insurance stuff, interest rates, credit scores, etc since I'm use to just buying stuff outright. But this is a good thread for folks that don't know.
 02-29-2012, 09:55 PMaway - #19
KrayzieCMB 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$3,702 | POWERFUL
People with shady credit:

Wow, just wanted to let you guys know something. Don't come into a dealer when you have had a recent bankruptcy/repo/divorce unless you are completely upfront about it first.

We have lenders that specialize in people with bad credit. As a salesman I work with these lenders to get a vehicle for you that meets their requirements. Normally the newer the vehicle, the better.

So for people with shady credit. Don't go kicking tires at a dealer. Call them first and get them to run a rough credit app for the vehicle you are looking for. Be prepared to have to hand over bank statements and tax forms to verify things.
 03-01-2012, 08:31 AMaway - #20
stargod 

d 
space
$2,509 | 5122154
Also, please list any extra options you want with the challenger. I am a$suming your awkward salesman gave you a brochure on the vehicle.

On a side note, I don't go with customers on a lot of test drives just because of the fact that I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. I get better response from letting them take a vehicle on their own and judging their reaction when they get back.

Couple of years ago I test drove and the salesman just handed me the keys.I was like wtf You guys do that?

That made me real comfortable dealing with him

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Oct 29 - Aliens are REAL reveals former Area 51 scien..
162 comments
Image inside  NBA Live '15 Review(IGN) - Verdict is in
50 comments
The PS4 SharePlay thread: Online Couch Coop and trying out othe..
104 comments
 NBA Kobe Bryant Calls Dwight Howard "a Bi-ch Ass N***...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 136 comments - by MGz
 Video inside Bugatti Beibs Hollerin At Some Thot. Getting Her Wet B...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 140 comments - by lilbeast
  Carter V Tracklist (31 Songs) (part 1 Dropping Dec. 9th)
New reply 6 minutes ago - 58 comments - by mdemaz
 Video inside 10 Hours Of Walking Around Nyc As A Woman (ny Niggas A...
New reply 27 minutes ago - 299 comments - by Tastemaker331
 Video inside Smack/url Presents- T Rex Vs Charlie Clips [anticipati...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 430 comments - by ZeusSlaps
 Article inside Juvenile Returns To Cash Money Records
New reply 33 minutes ago - 162 comments - by Steve
 NFL Kelvin Benjamin Says He Tanked The 40 Yard Dash So He ...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 65 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Shady Xv Tracklist
New reply 33 minutes ago - 78 comments - by ShadyVsEminem

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,802 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.