This is BX @ Boxden.com

SPL or SQ what the difference

SPL or SQ what the difference
topic by young jeezy478 - 10-26-2006, 06:08 PM - Boxden > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

ok im about to purchase this sub off ebay (TEAM ROCKFORD 12 INCH SPL) strictly an spl speaker. it handles 2000 watts rms and 4000 peak. here is my question., i read reviews about this speaker and most of them descride this as an spl woofer not ment for daily use for sq. I know the difference between spl and sq but what the difference?

Latest Rides Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

21 comments for "SPL or SQ what the difference"

10-26-2006, 06:26 PMaway - #2
young jeezy478 

d 
space
$1,631 | 6321671
 10-26-2006, 06:34 PMaway - #3
Hit Em' Up 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$4,321 | POWERFUL
Well if u kno the difference then i dunno why u askin but the difference between spl and sq is liked comparin kicker to jl. Like said by phase one kickers about spl meaning it will get louder then any jl sub but will never put out as good a sound quality.

So if u want that nice tight bass response that'll hit a note in every spectrum and reproduce input (music) as accuratly as possible then your after SQ

If u want a loud a$s system thats shakes the block u want SPL

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 10-26-2006 at 06:45 PM..
 10-26-2006, 08:50 PMaway - #4
Armageddon2k7 

d 
space
$175 | 2268
Some SPL subs dont even do good for street beatin.... What most dont pay attention to is that fact that there's more of a different catagory for street beating altogether because you need some SQ for the street or you wont have any musical ability, so you'll be missing notes.... no good. Extremely stiff and overbuilt spl subs are also inefficient and usually need tons of pwoer just to sound solid and well powered. Otherwise your bass wont be as clear and you wont be getting full potential out of the sub. Which some what means you wasted your money.

You cant have a pure SQ sub because you need the output of an SPL sub. Most sq subs are really accurate,smooth, and precise. None of which is gonna get you heard, or win you any stop light battles.

So if you get that sub, get ready to get a real 2500rms+ amp and stronger electrical system to push the sub and you should be ok. You still wont be able to play some music because i doubt that sub will be very musical.
 10-26-2006, 08:55 PMaway - #5
dcole18 

d 
space
$1,800 | 2232548

man if your lookin for streetbeats i wouldnt get that sub, u should send Armageddon2k7 a pm askin what a napalm 15 is... or look into a mmats dreadnaut its very similar to their juggernaut ( their very sucessfull spl woofer,not tryin to hate but its a lot better than the fosgate one your talkin about...) but its much more musical, prolly exactly what your lookin for.
 10-26-2006, 09:28 PMaway - #6
Armageddon2k7 

d 
space
$175 | 2268
Originally Posted by dcole18
man if your lookin for streetbeats i wouldnt get that sub, u should send Armageddon2k7 a pm askin what a napalm 15 is... or look into a mmats dreadnaut its very similar to their juggernaut ( their very sucessfull spl woofer,not tryin to hate but its a lot better than the fosgate one your talkin about...) but its much more musical, prolly exactly what your lookin for.
tru.. those are pretty much built for street beatin. i gotta get some personal videos and pics up.... I forgot to tell you i got the Napalm15. I love how it looks. i cant wait to get either one in the truck in a 8cube, or a pair in about 10cubes total.

But same about the Dreadnaut, they made that line because people wanted a daily sub that would be just as effective as the Jugg with music since the Jugg obviously wasnt. Why would people want a daily sub with the Juggernauts already being out? Because they suck for daily. They have zero musical ability, dont really hit the lows that good, and they just need so much power to be effective. Perfect example by cole of why even a SPL sub isnt suitable for daily.
 10-26-2006, 10:32 PMaway - #7
Mc Mastamind 

d 
space
$1,402 | POWERFUL
go to realmofexcursion.com and they have videos of almost any sub there you can watch and hear if that helps

peace
 10-27-2006, 01:36 AMaway - #8
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
the main difference in spl and sq is the sound. spl will hit louder than an sq sub but the sq sub will produce a much better overall sound. the sq sub will be a lot cleaner and is a much better option for a daily driver. i only recommend spl subs for competition. personally i couldn't stand having an spl sub in my car if it was a daily driver, the ####ty sound quality would drive me insane
one
GhosT
 10-28-2006, 10:03 AMaway - #9
Armageddon2k7 

d 
space
$175 | 2268
Originally Posted by GhosT
the main difference in spl and sq is the sound. spl will hit louder than an sq sub but the sq sub will produce a much better overall sound. the sq sub will be a lot cleaner and is a much better option for a daily driver. i only recommend spl subs for competition. personally i couldn't stand having an spl sub in my car if it was a daily driver, the ####ty sound quality would drive me insane
one
GhosT
You're right. when you want to chill play jazz and turn the sub down low, it'll still be peaking on notes and wont play some of the musical notes.
 10-28-2006, 10:05 AMaway - #10
Armageddon2k7 

d 
space
$175 | 2268
Originally Posted by Mc Mastamind
go to
Yup:applause:
Check out Digital Designs, Mass Destruction and TC sounds.

DD is SPL, Mass Destruction is loud and clear street beating bass (basically a loud musical sub) right in the middle, and TC is very smooth on basslines, but not as musical as they could be.

Last edited by Armageddon2k7; 10-28-2006 at 10:07 AM..
 10-28-2006, 12:30 PMaway - #11
FeS RoY 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,065 | POWERFUL
good sub and amp for a daily driver is a JL W7 10 and 500/1 that is my opinion so dont quote me telling me other
 10-28-2006, 12:36 PMaway - #12
dcole18 

d 
space
$1,800 | 2232548
Originally Posted by *FeS_RoY*
good sub and amp for a daily driver is a JL W7 10 and 500/1 that is my opinion so dont quote me telling me other
im not gonna quote you, all im sayin is that you are pretty damn persitant with the jl stuff...

Last edited by dcole18; 10-28-2006 at 12:55 PM..
 10-28-2006, 02:04 PMaway - #13
young jeezy478 

d 
space
$1,631 | 6321671
well i have waited to late the auction ended for the sub yesterday and im the winner
similar product i purchased.
 10-28-2006, 02:06 PMaway - #14
young jeezy478 

d 
space
$1,631 | 6321671
i like dat hard hittin bass but sq plays a role when im chillin wit a female. but most of the time we take her car cuz im a pimp holla. i proped everyone i hope. thanks
 10-28-2006, 02:10 PMaway - #15
young jeezy478 

d 
space
$1,631 | 6321671
know im lookin at THE collosusXX cuz my alpine mrv1507, 1500 watss 600 rms X 2 wont push this #### at all. Im try to go hifonics amps. heard they make pretty good ####.
 10-28-2006, 02:15 PMaway - #16
dcole18 

d 
space
$1,800 | 2232548
Originally Posted by young jeezy478
know im lookin at THE collosusXX cuz my alpine mrv1507, 1500 watss 600 rms X 2 wont push this #### at all. Im try to go hifonics amps. heard they make pretty good ####.

they are decent man but if you have money to spend on this there are better amps out there, the colosus is really nice though...
 10-29-2006, 05:50 PMaway - #17
Armageddon2k7 

d 
space
$175 | 2268
Originally Posted by dcole18
they are decent man but if you have money to spend on this there are better amps out there, the colosus is really nice though...
x2.. two being a good example the Incriminator Audio 20.1 and 40.1. Can run them on 16v, drop them to a quarter ohm, and they last. And mainly i just dont like hifonics does it's competitors and how they act towards certain people. Same thing with Memphis.:thumbsdow

Also another out of the country brand that is great is spl dynamics. SOLID amps as well.
 10-29-2006, 06:05 PMaway - #18
-Phase One- 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,110 | 17292032
Originally Posted by Armageddon2k7
x2.. two being a good example the Incriminator Audio 20.1 and 40.1. Can run them on 16v, drop them to a quarter ohm, and they last. And mainly i just dont like hifonics does it's competitors and how they act towards certain people. Same thing with Memphis.:thumbsdow

Also another out of the country brand that is great is spl dynamics. SOLID amps as well.

x3 on the IA amps. I heard a lot of great things about those. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

I think HiFonics is over-rated, sure they make decent amps if you're on a tight budget but they're not the best out there. Never really messed with Memphis tho.
 10-29-2006, 11:03 PMaway - #19
young jeezy478 

d 
space
$1,631 | 6321671
odd question. talk about ohms and volts rite quick. ok this speaker is rated at 1.5 or 2 ohms which means the amp i get is going to have to fall somewhere in that area. so the lower the ohms the less resistance there is on the amp or visa versa. i hear people talk about having 2 ohm speakers and 4 ohm whats the diff. and voltage how would i crank out that. do i need another batt or a stronger alt. what a good SETUP to get a good amp cranked up and ready to power a sub like this.
 10-30-2006, 12:43 AMaway - #20
ShaTR 

d 
space
$216 | 274279
take it from me, i have an SPL sub for daily driving, and its not something you wan't to listen to. too lazy to change it, so i just popped it in a VERY small sealed enclosure, adn its fine. doens't kick very hard in a sealed, but at least its consistant. if your not competing, or don't care about turning heads at stoplights, stay away from SPL subs.

IF, however, you want to rattle winshields (and have the lady working the McDonalds drive thru tell you to turn down you system cuz she can't read her monitor ), my vote goes to a pair of DD 12's.

if you want a decent mix, i find the RE 10's work nicely for both purposes. those spiders stay tight for long time, and tough to make em X-max, so you get lots of room with port size :)

*edit* to answer your question, ohm's is the resistance of the coils of the speaker. basically, if you get a 1ohm st@ble amp, your safe. if you get a 4ohm amp, you gotta make sure you subs are Single voice coil 4ohm, or dual voice coil 2ohm (which you wire in series to run at 4ohms). DVC 2ohm is better though, cuz you can always wire it at 1ohm (in parallel) or 4ohms (in series)

Last edited by ShaTR; 10-30-2006 at 12:46 AM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Images of Ben Afleck's Costume In Full Color from Bat..
55 comments
Video inside  "NBA Street Vol. 2" Repped for the Old School.
56 comments
BOX teddy atlas ''it makes me sick! lara won that fight!'..
143 comments
 NBA Derrick Rose Is Back. Can't Wait. Must See Video
New reply 20 seconds ago - 104 comments - by MikeJones212
 NBA Joel Embiid Sets Sights On Rihanna (moves On From K. K...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 55 comments - by Jiraiya
 Image(s) inside Jul 23 - Meet The 19-year-old Chicago Teen Who May Cur...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 75 comments - by Sin
 Image(s) inside Soulja Boy Caught Flexin'
New reply 21 minutes ago - 202 comments - by SeattleWon
 Image(s) inside Joe Budden And Ransom Reunite After 7 Years
New reply 4 minutes ago - 123 comments - by Hieroglyphic
 NBA Report: Lakers Willing To Offer Eric Bledsoe Close To ...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 111 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 11 minutes ago - 143 comments - by tokinjohn
 Image(s) inside *warning* People With Ocd - Do Not Enter!
New reply 22 minutes ago - 176 comments - by Die-Nasty

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.