This is BX @ Boxden.com

car doesn't accelerate well and whines while accelerating

car doesn't accelerate well and whines while accelerating
topic by ThursdayNit3 - 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM - Boxden > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

so my car was having an issue with the egr valve (vacuum leak) and with that fixed (and able to start my car up) im back to the issue i was having before that.

my car whines (after driving for about 2 minutes) anytime i accelerate and doesnt want to go when accelerating. it goes but not very well and whines.

im left with a few options:
transmission issue (could be a computer issue as ive read before with my car 1995 chrysler cirrus v6 2.5l) Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs

or a fuel/air mixture issue.

Latest Rides Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

15 comments for "car doesn't accelerate well and whines while accelerating"

11-04-2009, 10:54 AMaway - #2
NcAlien 

d 
space
$1,804 | 4456094
Are you throwing any codes ?
 11-04-2009, 03:43 PMonline - #3
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
no codes actually. only battery was changed within the last so many starts (which i disconnected myself) and the ending code.

it feels like it's lagging when i accelerate and doesn't want to go past 30mph or so. and if i get it going, at any second, it stops accelerating and my rpm goes up.

it sometimes 'catches' and shoots me forward
 11-04-2009, 05:38 PMaway - #4
JayR04 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$6,362 | POWERFUL
cylinder misfire maybe?
 11-04-2009, 06:33 PMonline - #5
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
i was just in the car, had the Ebrake on and just shifted from top down to feel what the car did and make sure it's not missing any gears.

everything shifted fine from what i can tell except one thing:

when i shifted from Park to reverse, normal
reverse to neutral, normal
neutral to drive, normal

but i noticed (not all the time, but i was able to recreate it 3 times) when i shifted to 3rd or my Low gear, my digital readout on my dash would flash between reverse, neutral and drive. sometimes just flashing on one of those 3 or a combination of 2 of them. but i was clearly in 3rd or my Low gear (not inbetween or anything).

it appears my car doesn't know what gear im in past my normal drive gear.

with the engine misfire, its a possibility as well. my egr valve was an issue before with a vacuum leak and could be a leaky now. the only thing is that my car doesn't accelerate very well AND whines which doesnt seem very common with a misfire
 11-05-2009, 04:52 PMaway - #6
NcAlien 

d 
space
$1,804 | 4456094
Hmmm from what you told me im thinking you could have a dying transmission...

I think you can rule out the EGR valve because the exhaust isnt going throught the EGR at all times so you would still have some acceleration and some codes would be thrown.

I dont think it would be a cylinder either, because you would still be able to accelerate past 30. You could have a cylinder with low compression. Unscrew the oil cap on your car and look in and see if you see any metal flakes.

Is you car smoking any ???
 11-05-2009, 09:32 PMonline - #7
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
no smoking at all.

after talking to the chrysler dealership, they said its very quite possible its my computer and it forgot how to shift.

could i just go to the local junkyard and get a computer from a car just like mine and replace it?

the dealership won't give me a price estimate over the phone for the procedure and want's me to make an "appointment" which is going to be a pain in the a$s due to having to pay to have my car towed and potential 'labor' fee's from the dealership just to LOOK at my car before they will do any work.
 11-06-2009, 07:34 AMaway - #8
JoeDoe22 44 heat pts44

d 
space
$3,833 | POWERFUL
Dont take this the wrong way, but you are doing way too much work on a 14 year old car. Replacing a computer (if its even possible) is going to cost you at least $1K and I doubt the car is worth that much

I would cut my losses and trade it in or sell it for whatever I could get quickly if I were you.
 11-08-2009, 12:22 AMonline - #9
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
car is still worth near $2,000 (kbb price for my condition and model)i was looking it up and asking around and replacing the computer isnt that hard nor that expensive, get one for cheap from the junkyard on a car that was totaled. worse case scenario, it needs to be reflashed.

so its pretty much, i should save time and just reflash mine, IF that the issue.

but i cant figure out what else it could be.
 11-09-2009, 12:23 PMaway - #10
NcAlien 

d 
space
$1,804 | 4456094
Could possible be a bad solenoid but I dont profess to know to much about Chryslers

And JoeDoe is right Idk how much $$$ I would put into this car and if you do decided to get it repaired DONT take it to the Stealership. I would try to find a little mom and pops spot, if possible
 11-09-2009, 03:29 PMaway - #11
j da pimp 

d 
space
$1,154 | 2413147
Just put a trans in it
 11-09-2009, 06:41 PMaway - #12
NcAlien 

d 
space
$1,804 | 4456094
^ Thats far from cheap why put money into a car that's not meant to be a long term mode of transportation. The transmission + Labor probably cost more the vehicle is worth
 11-10-2009, 12:05 AMonline - #13
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
Originally Posted by NcAlien
^ Thats far from cheap why put money into a car that's not meant to be a long term mode of transportation. The transmission + Labor probably cost more the vehicle is worth
exactly.

i just need to figure out what it is, so therefor i can decide what to do. either fix it or just buy another car.

but thats the hard part. cant figure it out
 11-10-2009, 03:55 PMaway - #14
boimannie2004 

d 
space
$2,170 | 4486898
Go to a junkyard and pull a TCU for the cheap and if you know how to install it which shouldn't be much, maybe unbolting a few panels to get to it, all you have wasted is maybe 30 max and your time
 11-10-2009, 10:09 PMonline - #15
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,627 | 9285566
appreciate all the tips and feedback people.

i found something new tonight, i decided to just drive to jack in the box (less than a mile)

car wouldnt accelerate very well, as usual.

then after a stop sign, it accelerated NORMAL. no issues, automatically shifted fine. it still whinned but that didnt effect the acceleration.

when i was parallel parking, and shifted to reverse, the car hesitated then finally reversed.

so i still get the whinning (easily fixed if isolated)

and the car may still accelerate bad if i try it again. but the main thing is that it did accelerate fine for 10 minutes of testing.

ill test it out again tomorrow morning.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Oct 22 - Autopsy reveals Michael Brown reached for of..
70 comments
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
68 comments
Image inside  NBA LIVE 15 EA Access Full Game Trial Lands October 2..
56 comments
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 119 comments - by ajeana
  Oct 21 - She Tweeted Against The Mexican Cartels. They...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 63 comments - by Turk3
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 305 comments - by blafy
 Image(s) inside Freeway Robbed For Rocafella Chain?[rumor]
New reply 15 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Carlton Black
 NBA 4thqtrkobe With 3 Consecutive Baskets In The Clutch
New reply 3 minutes ago - 93 comments - by TnTbadman
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 156 comments - by st21
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 76 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Video inside Oct 21 - Man To Obama: Don't Touch My Girlfriend
New reply 41 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Carlton Black

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,796 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.