This is BX @ Boxden.com

Amp keeps blowing fuses?

Amp keeps blowing fuses?
topic by edouble2k6 - 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM - Boxden > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

What's up? Recently my amplifier in my trunk has started blowing the external fuses. Everytime I change the fuse it blows within 5 seconds of the deck being turned on. Interestingly enough, this isn't a new installation as I have had this amp and speaker installation for a long time now and NEVER had a problem. I double checked my ground and everything seems straight and my power cable looks good. So, I unhooked my subs just to check that there is not a short in those wires and it still blows out.

Now, on to the real question... A friend of mine did the installation for me (I was too lazy that day) and I had no idea that he put a 30 amp fuse in. HOWEVER, when I was looking at the amp the other day it says that it requires a 40! So, I figure most people would say, that's your problem right there. However, is it possible that it would have worked for over a year with a 30, when the amp says 40?

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to troubleshoot and solve this problem please let me know. I know it would be easier to buy a new amp or have a car audio place look at it, but you know how theyr### people on prices. Hit me back!

Latest Rides Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

31 comments for "Amp keeps blowing fuses?"

07-10-2008, 10:41 AMaway - #2
FaceMob 2 heat pts

d 
space
$6,852 | POWERFUL
I think you answered your won question. Even though it worked for such a long time with a smaller fuse, replace it with a 40 amp fuse and see if that solves your problem.
 07-10-2008, 10:44 AMaway - #3
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by FaceMob
I think you answered your won question. Even though it worked for such a long time with a smaller fuse, replace it with a 40 amp fuse and see if that solves your problem.
I am hoping it's that simple, the problem started about a week ago and I've been driving around with no subs for the first time in a long time and it's finally made me reach my boiling point LOL!

Do you think it's possible that the amplifier was damaged by this fuse being blown? I know it's hard to diagnose a set up online, but have you heard of something like this before?
 07-10-2008, 11:16 AMaway - #4
~SHYNE~ 8 heat pts

d 
space
$2,109 | 10733843
I dont think the amp is the problem,it is possible that the fuse lasted a good period of time.Grab the right fuse and see what happens...
 07-10-2008, 11:21 AMaway - #5
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ~SHYNE~
I dont think the amp is the problem,it is possible that the fuse lasted a good period of time.Grab the right fuse and see what happens...
Alright I'm going to grab one and I'll post an update after I try it out, thanks for the advice so far.
 07-10-2008, 12:00 PMaway - #6
king_ac_22 1 heat pts

d 
space
$424 | 1292900
yea, get the 40's....what type of system are you running???
 07-10-2008, 01:07 PMaway - #7
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by king_ac_22
yea, get the 40's....what type of system are you running???
Without knowing the Subwoofer specs off the bat, I know I have a 600 watt Kenwood amp and two Rockford 12 inch subs. I also have a 0 gauge power cable. The 0 gauge cable converts into a smaller one which I am unsure of the exact gauge before it runs into the amp. I'll post more complete specs when I take a look again. Sorry I don't know off the bat, it's been a while.

Is there anything specific you would like me to post up to help diagnose the problem more efficiently?

Last edited by edouble2k6; 07-10-2008 at 01:09 PM..
 07-10-2008, 01:51 PMaway - #8
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
I also should note that I don't even have to have the volume turned up at all and it will blow right out.

It's weird because I never really push my amp loud at all so I don't see how I could have damaged it.
 07-10-2008, 06:36 PMaway - #9
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
So, I copped the 40 amp fuses and put them in and went through all my wires just to check for any damage and everything looks pretty good. The amp isn't blowing fuses now, it just won't turn on. So, I actually took the casing off to look inside and nothing is blown out and looks pretty mint in my opinion. I had taken the ground off and reattached it just checking all my wires, could an improper ground when I put it back on cause an amp not to turn on?
 07-11-2008, 09:43 AMaway - #10
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
check the fuse up front and make sure the ground is solid on unpainted metal.

you problem could have been from to small of a fuse, which should not damage the amp, thats the purpose of fuses. the fuse will blow before the amp blows.

you amp might be the problem though. your best bet is to check those couple things and if it still doesn't power on i'd unhook it and bring it to a shop and have them bench test it
one
GhosT
 07-11-2008, 10:48 AMaway - #11
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
It's strange because before when I was trying a few 30 amp fuses they were blowing until I realized I need a 40. So, I put the 40 in and now nothing happens at all, no power period.

However, it looks like I will have to have it professionally handled. My last theory is actually pretty stupid, but hear me out. When all this started I decided to just unhook everything because it didn't seem safe to leave hooked up. So, like an idiot I wrapped electrical tape around the end of my power cable (on my gold connector) that goes to the battery to protect it until i hooked everything back up. Now when I took the tape off, there is a heavy residue thats n@sty on the connector. Is it possible that the residue is blocking the connection to the battery and thats why no power is going to my amp now? Has anyone at least heard of something like that?
 07-11-2008, 02:12 PMaway - #12
rickc18 

d 
space
$139 | 330246
If the connection has glue, you might not get power. So clean it with a wire brush or something and re-attach it.
 07-11-2008, 04:53 PMaway - #13
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Alright I'm going to do that and if it doesn't work I guess it's on to an audio shop. I have a feeling that I messed something up somehow when I connected all the wires back, which is strange since it's not my first time installing a system.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited by edouble2k6; 07-11-2008 at 04:56 PM..
 07-13-2008, 04:25 PMaway - #14
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
just strip off the little bit that has the glue on it and try again,

but i'll ask again, have you checked the fuse under the hood?
one
GhosT
 07-14-2008, 09:11 PMaway - #15
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by GhosT
just strip off the little bit that has the glue on it and try again,

but i'll ask again, have you checked the fuse under the hood?
one
GhosT
I unhooked the fuse and took a look at it and it's still one solid piece, but it just looks old. It doesn't necessarily look burnt or anything, but it looks like it's on it's last legs, LOL.

Can a fuse be burnt out or dead without it being broken in the middle or melted. I know that probably sounds like a stupid question, but it's one I have to ask nonetheless.
 07-15-2008, 08:49 AMaway - #16
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
i've had fuses look ok but have actually been blown. what you should do is check the fuse with a multimeter, or just replace it. what size is that fuse under the hood. is rated a lot higher than what your amp can handle?
one
GhosT
 07-15-2008, 10:42 AMaway - #17
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Well the fuse under the hood in the power cable is 32v and I believe thats what came with the power cable.

However, now I'm wondering, since I put a 40 amp fuse in the amplifier like I was supposed to (instead of the 30 my boy put in) is it possible that I need a higher voltage fuse in the power cable?
 07-15-2008, 10:51 AMaway - #18
garret765 

d 
space
$128 | 136298
yes u do
 07-15-2008, 10:57 AMaway - #19
edouble2k6 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,205 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by garret765
yes u do
Good looking out I'm gonna find which one I need.

EDIT: It only says 32v on the inline fuse so I'm not really sure what amp this is...

Last edited by edouble2k6; 07-15-2008 at 11:37 AM..
 07-15-2008, 12:05 PMaway - #20
kodak314 2 heat pts

d 
space
$2,685 | POWERFUL
yo fuse says 32v? that doesnt sound rite

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Whipz 'n Stereos (vehicles, sound systems)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Hannibal Buress Called Bill Cosby a Rapist During a St..
72 comments
Video inside  Xbox Won multitasking at work (Party/Movie/Game)
100 comments
NBA Derrick Rose puts Kyrie Irving in the Spin Cycle (gif)
56 comments
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 370 comments - by !!!
  Chief Keef Dropped From Interscope
New reply 46 minutes ago - 321 comments - by youngige
 Image(s) inside New Drake Meme
New reply 12 minutes ago - 57 comments - by donmagic901
  I Hate Niggas That...
New reply 47 minutes ago - 87 comments - by tripleG
 NBA George Lopez Rips Lebron James & Nba (video)
New reply 28 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Dray
 Image(s) inside Queen Vashti
New reply 55 minutes ago - 62 comments - by woodthatdude
 NFL Peyton Manning Sex Scandal: Largely Forgotten, Even Wi...
New reply 39 minutes ago - 76 comments - by illmatic826
 audio inside Joe Budden "ordinary Love Sh-t Pt. 4"
New reply 57 minutes ago - 92 comments - by Nickel

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.