This is BX @ Boxden.com

Update:Why Fox Canceled In Living Color Reboot?..Fox Mad That The Original Cast Ain't Part Of It

Update:Why Fox Canceled In Living Color Reboot?..Fox Mad That The Original Cast Ain't Part Of It
topic by GreenBlu - 08-12-2012, 02:41 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

Well... those of you who weren't too keen on a reboot of In Living Color with an all-new cast of players (although still shepherded by Keenen Ivory Wayans), might be thrilled with this little bit of news I just learned about.

First... an excerpt from a USA Today interview with Kevin Reilly, Entertainment President of the Fox Broadcasting Company, published towards the end of last month, in which he addressed the networks upcoming season slate of scripted series:

And two retreads won't see the light of day. Seth MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot is being scuttled. And Reilly indicated that planned In Living Color specials, reviving the sketch-comedy series, won't air anytime soon. Though several have been shot, he says there's a "high bar," so don't look for a new version of Jamie Foxx, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans.

So, what I'm interpreting from this, is that expectations are high (given the success of the original In Living Color), and, although they've shot a few episodes already, they apparently aren't meeting those high expectations; and so maybe it's back to the drawing board; or maybe it's being (or will be) shelved permanently, and we won't hear anything further about the reboot anymore.

And secondly, in a recent radio interview, in response to Reilly's statement above, one of the series reboot's new cast members - Milton "Lil' Rel" Howery - shared his thoughts on what was going on with the proposed show, stating that they'd shot a few specials, and those specials were to be broadcast as tests to gauge audience reactions and interest. And if the specials scored highly in ratings, then they'd have a full series on their hands; and if not, then, no series reboot.

But even more interesting is Howery's statement in the interview that some of the cast from the original In Living Color series apparently wanted to come back, or at least be involved in the reboot in some way (or it could be that Fox wanted them to come back), however, they couldn't reach an agreement with Fox, and so, as he suggests, "Fox is mad" because they didn't get what the wanted... or something like that.

The entire interview with Howery follows in the video player below, so listen to it. He obviously feels that they have something worth airing, and that Fox should just run the specials they've already shot, and let the audience decide - which I agree with.

But I won't be surprised if it's eventually put to rest permanently, and this never comes up again. And a year from now, we'll all be asking what happened to that In Living Color reboot, and Keenen will talk openly about what transpired behind closed doors, and the whole truth will be known.

First revealed publicly last October, the Fox Network announced it's plans to bring the Wayans' In Living Color back to TV as a mid-season replacement, with the original star and creator of the show, Keenen Ivory Wayans, on board as host and executive producer.

According to reports, it was Wayans' idea to revive the show, and the plan was for Fox to present two In Living Color half-hour specials to air as part of the network’s 25th anniversary celebration on April 22, with a series option behind them. If the two specials are a ratings success, then the new In Living Color will be picked up as a series next season.

Obviously, none of this has happend.

How about the cast?

In addition to Lil' Rel Howery... Kali Hawk, Jennifer Bartels, Jermaine Fowler, Ayana Hampton, Cyrah Hawkins and a few others, all are signed on to be part of the new generation/revamped cast of In Living Color.

And what about the Fly Girls? There they are in the above photo: Whitney Wiley, Tera Perez, Christina Chandler, Katee Shean, and Lisa Rosenthal.

We'll see...

Howery's interview follows below:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/in-living-color-reboot-likely-wont-see-the-light-of-day-details"][color=#0066cc]http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/in-living-color-reboot-likely-wont-see-the-light-of-day-details

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

21 comments for "Update:Why Fox Canceled In Living Color Reboot?..Fox Mad That The Original Cast Ain't On Board"

08-12-2012, 03:22 PMaway - #2
MosDefinition 7 heat pts

d 
space
$16,643 | POWERFUL
wtf fox you thought you were getting jim carrey and jamie fox

the reason saturday night lives been on so long is because they constantly retool there cast
 08-12-2012, 04:34 PMaway - #3
KidNice 168 heat pts168

d 
space
$1,136 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MosDefinition

the reason saturday night lives been on so long is because they constantly retool there cast
^^^ Co-sign!
 08-12-2012, 05:32 PMaway - #4
xo xo xo 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$3,619 | POWERFUL
How dumb can Fox be??? Sheesh, I was actually going to give the reboot a chance.

Originally Posted by MosDefinition

^
 08-12-2012, 07:37 PMaway - #5
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$3,224 | 12699429
I was gonna watch it...I trust Keenan's judgement.
 08-12-2012, 11:16 PMaway - #6
S|S 

d 
space
$11,590 | POWERFUL
recent attempts at bringing back old TV shows is evidence enough that this was never gonna work...
 08-12-2012, 11:27 PMaway - #7
GreenBlu 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$111 | 7337243
What if BET pick the up
 08-12-2012, 11:40 PMaway - #8
ThePainkiller 299 heat pts299

d 
space
$52,872 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by GreenBlu
What if BET pick the up
It would suck.
 08-13-2012, 12:42 AMaway - #9
Playa 68 heat pts68

d 
space
$22,127 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by GreenBlu
What if BET pick the up
It would probably go to Comedy Central before BET.
 08-13-2012, 12:49 AMaway - #10
Series 

d 
space
$399 | 1514969
bet would try to slap in madea to the cast
 08-13-2012, 06:15 AMaway - #11
slapaho 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,813 | POWERFUL
i knew this wouldnt take off.. tryin to captilaize on the 90's doesnt work if you dont have something from that time period. keepin the name the same and changin everything wont work. unlike SNL living color seemed more like an actual fam who respected each other and did great work.

you cant take that and smear some lames (must of the new cast ive never heard of in the comedy world) on it and call it the GOAT in living color.

look what they did to madtv and that weak a$s cartoon.
 08-13-2012, 06:28 AMaway - #12
GreenBlu 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$111 | 7337243
Originally Posted by slapaho
i knew this wouldnt take off.. Tryin to captilaize on the 90's doesnt work if you dont have something from that time period. Keepin the name the same and changin everything wont work. Unlike snl living color seemed more like an actual fam who respected each other and did great work.

You cant take that and smear some lames (must of the new cast ive never heard of in the comedy world) on it and call it the goat in living color.

Look what they did to madtv and that weak a$s cartoon.
lmao!!!!
 08-13-2012, 08:01 AMaway - #13
Soda Pop 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,467 | 16429383
If fox actually got fox there a$ses and found some funny people and hire some decent writers, this would work.
 08-13-2012, 08:17 AMaway - #14
Thworldisyours 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$2,068 | 16487664
I dont know why I mistakenly read that headline thinking they were bringing LIVING SINGLE back...

Cuz when I saw that picture I was like, "that's the whitest damn cast of Living Single you could get"...

But nevermind, dont bring back none of these shows... PLEASE...

TV comedy sucks worse than any genre on TV I can think of. Just leave it alone.

08-13-2012, 10:28 AMaway - #15
mrfreak76 549 heat pts549

d 
space
$5,286 | POWERFUL
Side note:
Seth MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot is being scuttled
There was talks of doing this?
 08-13-2012, 10:44 AMaway - #16
Tha754kid 

d 
space
$4,240 | 8844734
Flintstones reboot???

Glad that #### got scrapped. Stop fukkin with classics. Some stuff just DOESN'T need a reboot lol.
 08-13-2012, 11:58 AMaway - #17
Darealness420 

d 
space
$373 | 889587
Originally Posted by ThePainkiller
It would suck.
It would be unfunnier than comicview
 08-13-2012, 11:58 AMaway - #18
RAZAH CUTS 2583 heat pts2583

d 
space
$40,371 | POWERFUL
meh... I don't know man...

some things just don't need to be rebooted... In Living Color is classic.. #### touching that man...

TV needs new ideas and innovation.. not re-hashing of the same ol' ####...
 08-13-2012, 12:37 PMaway - #19
MosDefinition 7 heat pts

d 
space
$16,643 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S
recent attempts at bringing back old TV shows is evidence enough that this was never gonna work...
its not like they are trying to remake the wire its a sketch comedy show they wouldnt be reusing old bits its just a matter of them coming up with original stuff thats funny

thats what mad tvs problem was it wasnt funny and snl is hit or miss
 08-13-2012, 12:38 PMaway - #20
MosDefinition 7 heat pts

d 
space
$16,643 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RAZAH CUTS
meh... I don't know man...

some things just don't need to be rebooted... In Living Color is classic.. #### touching that man...

TV needs new ideas and innovation.. not re-hashing of the same ol' ####...
its a sketch comedy show it was a black rip off of snl to begin with

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Round Table Discussion On Wiggin's Sister
61 comments
Image inside  Briana: No photoshop. No filters.
53 comments
Megan Good's version of damage control
104 comments
 Image(s) inside Andrew Wiggins' Girl
New reply 8 minutes ago - 99 comments - by Bigboi781
 Image(s) inside Some Facts About China.......
New reply 16 minutes ago - 67 comments - by BasedonMars
 Article inside Former Dtp Artist Shawnna Reportedly Denied Access To ...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 81 comments - by Tha Truth
 NBA Blake Griffin Knew Donald Sterling Was Racist Since Th...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 62 comments - by Bkjj11
 NBA Lance Stephenson - Hot N**** [official Video]
New reply 14 minutes ago - 53 comments - by 10th Wonder
 NFL Lions Stephen Tulloch Tears Acl Celebrating; On Season...
New reply 45 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Honolulu Blue
  So Stalley Got That Asap Rocky Treatment...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 79 comments - by justinjones
 Image(s) inside C'mon Birdman Smh
New reply 50 minutes ago - 98 comments - by chrismb

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.