b o x d e n     |     hiphop     sports     wild'ish     games     movies     news     eyecandy     tech     gear     rides  
trending now     hot topics today     all sections     videos     pics     tracks     headlines  

The 15 Best Comedies of the 2012-2013 TV Season

The 15 Best Comedies of the 2012-2013 TV Season
topic by Cheeze - 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

#15 Bunheads

Ever since Amy Sherman-Palladino left Gilmore Girls, Iíve missed her fast-talking magical fairy tales. This ABC Family show about ballet is, at once, exactly like Gilmore Girls and nothing like it. Sure, the dialogue, many actors and whimsical love of pop culture references is straight out of her previous show, but Amy Sherman-Palladino has embraced the aesthetic of dance by creating a show that gracefully flits along like a dream. But really, itís just a pleasure to hear that rapid-paced writing once again.

> The 15 Best Comedies of the 2012-2013 TV Season - Photo posted in The TV and Movie Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

#14 The Neighbors

Some critics dismissed this alien sitcom from the start as one of the worst, most idiotic shows in TV history, on par with Cop Rock and Work It. And sure, like almost every sitcom on TV, it started a little rough. But the writers and actors found their footing midway through the first season and it quickly became a surreal, satiric look at families. Rather than normalize the aliens, the show embraced their weirdness and made it work for them. In particular, the performance of Norwegian/Nigerian actress Toks Olagundoye as Jackie Joyner-Kersee, the alien mother yearning to experience all things human, was a revelation.

> The 15 Best Comedies of the 2012-2013 TV Season - Photo posted in The TV and Movie Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

#13 Veep

Thereís something special at the core of this HBO comedy. Strip away the foul language (which, as Mel Brooks famously said, rises below vulgarity) and awkward situations (like the Finnish presidentís husband fondling the vice presidentís bre@st) and you have a show about a woman who genuinely cares about serving her country. She desperately wants to be an important player in the administration and when a rescue operation she orchestrates leaves a solider with his leg blown off, the surprisingly serious impact that has on Julia Louis-Dreyfusí character gives us a glimpse into her inner complexities.

#12 Awkward

Some people may dismiss MTV as a network solely aimed at young people with no actual quality. And while that might be true of its reality shows, the network is also making some of the most entertaining scripted programming on TV. This high school comedy about teen romance is brilliant in it rapid-fire pop culture lingo and the truly awkward moments of adolescence. With a great cast led by Ashley Rickards (who I fully expect to become a huge star some day), this is a show you need to be watching.

#11 Louie

Louis C.K.ís FX comedy continues to be the go-to destination for avant-garde meditations on life. The three-part storyline with Louis auditioning for a late night talk show was sublime, as was his random trip to China in the finale. The show also attracts more A-list comedic talent than any other show on TV, with Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Sarah Silverman, Robin Williams, Jay Leno, Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd as a few of the season 3 guest stars.

#10 The Big Bang Theory

Plenty of awards are heaped on Jim Parsons (and with good reason), but the supporting performances are just as good. Simon Helberg has kept his comedy while becoming far less creepy now that heís married and heís been to outer space. Rajís romantic woes were a surprisingly serious spiral of depression all season. And the women are all fantastic, especially when they spend time together. Thereís a good reason this is the most-watched comedy on TV.

#9 Modern Family

This show has become almost complacent in its greatness. The writing and acting are all so consistently strong. Itís almost disappointing that the show canít seem to get any better, but thatís the trouble with setting a high bar of quality and matching it year after year.

#8 Arrested Development

The canceled show came back to life on Netflix with 15 episodes all available at once. The complex style was daring, ambitious and sometimes a little too smart for its own good, but even with a weak start and an extremely open-ended ending, the Bluth family proved as funny and entertaining as ever.

Latest Movies Hot Topics Ľ   share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

42 comments for "The 15 Best Comedies of the 2012-2013 TV Season"

06-12-2013, 07:59 PMaway - #2
Cheeze 491 heat pts491

d 
space
$30,953 | POWERFUL
#7 Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous

MTV’s hip new comedy is one of those surprising gems that it equally laugh-out-loud funny and heartbreakingly poignant. A recent high school graduate decides to jumpstart his desired celebrity status by using his life’s savings to hire a camera crew to make a reality show about his life. His desperate willingness to do anything for fame, always failing miserably, leads to the most awkward and insightful sitcom since HBO’s The Comeback.

#6 30 Rock

Tina Fey’s brilliant comedy went out with a bang. The final season was everything you could want with momentous changes (Liz got married!) to an extremely funny yet sentimental ending.

#5 Raising Hope

In a year where Community lost its luster without Dan Harmon, Raising Hope took its place with wildly inventive storytelling. From the mafia-style candy wars to Jimmy and Sabrina’s Modern Family-parody wedding to an Arbor Day celebration to a My Name Is Earl reunion to Burt’s Jewish musical, season 3 was one crazy, funny episode after another.

#4 Parks and Recreation

Not enough can be said about this show’s boundless optimism. At a time where politics is as cynical as ever, watching Leslie Knope try to do good on the city council was refreshing. Throw in her engagement and wedding to Ben, Ron’s new girlfriend and the constant Jamm-ing and you have another great season.

#3 New Girl

Sophomore slump? Not at all. Schmidt’s romantic life was on fire (from his jealousy over Cece’s nice boyfriend Robby to reconnecting with his college girlfriend Elizabeth), but it was the Jess/Nick dynamic that really made the show soar. Instead of yanking fans around with the “Will they or won’t they?" for many seasons, the two kissed, went on a d ate, had s3x and then drove away together. It was one epic, wonderful moment after another.

#2 Happy Endings

One of the saddest moments of the season was when ABC canceled this brilliant series. The writing was snappy and clever and, in season 3, the actors were all so comfortable with the characters that they were finally starting to hit a groove. Much like the adult ensemble of Modern Family, it’s hard to pick which one is the best since they’re all so talented and funny.

#1 Archer

When picking the best comedy of the season, I asked myself one simple question: What show made me laugh harder and more often than any other? This was the answer. The animated FX spy comedy fell into a comfortable rhythm in season 4 and during every episode I found myself nearly asphyxiated by laughter. From the Bob’s Burgers parody premiere (a clever homage to voice star H. Jon Benjamin’s other show) to the Sealab 2021 finale (a nod to creator Adam Reed’s previous show), Archer is wickedly clever, stylishly drawn, outrageously dirty and able to attract top-notch vocal talent like Timothy Olyphant and Jon Hamm. If you’re not watching this show, you’re missing the funniest thing on television.

Never even knew Bo Burnham had a show
 06-12-2013, 08:03 PMonline - #3
Agentzer0oo0 133 heat pts133

d 
space
$49,246 | POWERFUL

Happy Endings got cancelled??!?!?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
 06-12-2013, 08:17 PMaway - #4
Maroon_Tiger 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$41,564 | POWERFUL
i cosign awkward... the show is geared toward a H.S. audience, but its pretty funny
 06-12-2013, 08:33 PMaway - #5
trock34 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$11,562 | POWERFUL
Parks>
 06-12-2013, 08:36 PMaway - #6
TH35 73 heat pts73

d 
space
$57,964 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Agentzer0oo0

Happy Endings got cancelled??!?!?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
still in talks I think to go to another network
 06-12-2013, 09:02 PMaway - #7
Bleezy 7 heat pts

d 
space
$9,981 | POWERFUL
One of the few good sitcoms on TV... and ABC cancels it. Go ####ing figure. Hopefully someone picks up Happy Endings.

On another note... I'll miss you forever 30 Rock...

Last edited by Bleezy; 06-12-2013 at 09:09 PM..
 06-12-2013, 09:12 PMaway - #8
kyh0mpb 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$3,003 | POWERFUL
good list. Still need to finish the latest season of Archer, but the first couple episodes were great
 06-12-2013, 11:21 PMaway - #9
RoyceDa59 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$11,655 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TH35
Was in talks to be picked up by USA but they backed out. ####ing bull####
 06-13-2013, 12:39 AMaway - #10
biggsteel 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$1,918 | POWERFUL
All I needed to see was Archer at #1. I don't think people realize how ####in funny that show is.. And consistently funny at that
 06-13-2013, 01:34 AMaway - #11
Cheeze 491 heat pts491

d 
space
$30,953 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by biggsteel
All I needed to see was Archer at #1. I don't think people realize how ####in funny that show is.. And consistently funny at that
Seriously.

Archer might have 2-3 episodes I don't like all the way through, but they've still got hilarious bits in them. Out of 50 episodes or so? Thats a good ratio. And it seems to just keep getting better and better.
 06-13-2013, 01:37 AMonline - #12
Ham Rove 2073 heat pts2073

d 
space
$37,782 | POWERFUL
new girl is funny to me, also Archer>>> Modern family still funny but got real predictable as of late. Parks is my ####. Veep is funny to me also, and of course Louie>>>>
 06-13-2013, 01:44 AMaway - #13
Smoov Deezy 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,207 | 5202575
I ####ing loved Happy endings
 06-13-2013, 02:14 PMaway - #14
Cheeze 491 heat pts491

d 
space
$30,953 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Smoov Deezy
I ####ing loved Happy endings
I only saw one episode, a wedding or something I think, but I could tell it was one of those shows that would be good but probably get cancelled before it got really good unfortunately
 06-13-2013, 02:17 PMonline - #15
Agentzer0oo0 133 heat pts133

d 
space
$49,246 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TH35
Yea been looking around on the net and one of the places that was a possibility flopped (USA Network). And I just check that Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous show and good god that show is hilarious
 06-13-2013, 03:12 PMaway - #16
King Henry 353 heat pts353

d 
space
$29,023 | POWERFUL
Parks and Rec >>
 06-13-2013, 03:23 PMaway - #17
matelyan 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$8,503 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cheeze
Seriously.

Archer might have 2-3 episodes I don't like all the way through, but they've still got hilarious bits in them. Out of 50 episodes or so? Thats a good ratio. And it seems to just keep getting better and better.
Love Archer. You a fan of the Venture Bros? If you like Archer, you'll appreciate that show as well. IF you don't already.
 06-13-2013, 03:29 PMaway - #18
SacTown|B 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$16,794 | POWERFUL
no Workaholics ?
 06-13-2013, 03:44 PMaway - #19
Kjizzle03 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$14,812 | POWERFUL
they better bring Happy Endings back

and by the look at this thread I need to check out archer
 06-13-2013, 03:48 PMaway - #20
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$34,146 | POWERFUL
Louie not in top 10? Modern Family not in top 5?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL Ray Rice Has Won His Appeal
74 comments
NCAAF CFB Week 14 Thread #RivalryWeekAndPlayoffs
147 comments
Image inside  Bizzy Bone posts pic of "Notorious Thugs" Studio Sess..
62 comments
 Video inside Star Wars: Episode Vii - The Force Awakens (official T...
New reply 23 seconds ago - 96 comments - by Grimm
 Video inside Nov 27 - New Video Footage Of Darrien Hunt, 22 Yr Old ...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Ham Rove
  How Is Dej Loaf Famous? (might Be The Worst Performanc...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 259 comments - by 1LynguisticMind
 NBA Melo Feeling Regretful : "chicago Was The Perfect...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 76 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Tyler The Creator Disses Eminem/shadyxv
New reply 6 minutes ago - 74 comments - by mdemaz
 NFL Gobble Gobble Bi-ch.. Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) @ Dall...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 796 comments - by Kooper
 Image(s) inside Congrats To Young Thug And His New Fiancť @yeahlano!
New reply 8 minutes ago - 93 comments - by keejee
  Chief Keef "mansion Musik" (artwork +trackli...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 119 comments - by Aztronautz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,865 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,815 following | none new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.