This is BX @ Boxden.com

The 10 Best Mainstream Hero Comics of 2012

The 10 Best Mainstream Hero Comics of 2012
topic by Hovi Bryant - 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

10. Justice League

The Darksied arc that spanned for the first 6 issues were great. If the threat is not big enough, you just wonder why Superman can't handle much of this stuff on his own. Batman has numerous ongoing books and I began to wonder how he can be everywhere at once like this, given that one of the JL books crosses over with his. Justice League is a fun read when there is are big enough battles for everyone to bring their talents to the table. There's a lot of down time at the moment.

9. Green Lantern

The dynamic between Sinestro and Hal Jordan, and the factors that link them together is what makes for a good comic or tv series. You never really know what's next in the New 52 since many things we've known are thrown out or have a new twist, and it's not in a gimmick way for the most part. Things have heated up now that the Justice League are involved in a search for Hal Jordan.

8. Aquaman

I don't think really cared for Aquaman. I didn't until now. There's a larger unknown factor for me reading this, as I hardly know anything about him. Most of what I did know was tossed in the first issue. The threats are real enough, the cast is very convincing, and the artwork is great. Out of the three books Geoff Johns writes (JL & GL), this is the best so far.

7. Hawkeye

I probably should put this book a lot higher on the list, as this is probably my personal favorite. However, when considering the overall plot of each issue and the exception of a very fun 2 part arc, it's pretty much the daily life of an Avenger with what he believes as no super powers. It's not a bad thing by any stretch, it's just not for those that want a hero book bleeding with seriousness.

6. Wonder Woman

By far, Wonder Woman has the best supporting cast in all of comics. The greek gods and goddesses quarreling amongst one another does not get old. Brian Azzarello has paved the way in terms of throwing out her old and cheesy backstory and redefining her character for the better in every way imaginable. Zues is pretty much a douchebag in this book, unlike the first time I've heard of him in the Disney movie Hercules. It's too fun too read.

5. Animal Man

The power of making lesser known characters popular seems to be the theme of the past couple of years. This book reads like a horror suspense from the very first issue. More interestingly, Buddy Baker or Animal Man isn't the hero in his on book (at least for the moment)! Each issue illustrates the large scale conflicts that unique enough to have the reader doubt Superman or the Justice league could legitimately handle.

4. Swamp Thing

While I didn't care for Aquaman, I relatively did not know who Swamp Thing was. I think DC's New 52 helped boost the popularity or create new cults for characters like this. I believe Scott Snyder is the best writer in mainstream comics today. He creates a genuine feeling of suspense as there is an evil known as the Rot that intends on corrupting life on Earth. Every issue is a ride, and the artwork fits the story perfectly. Given that both Swamp Thing crosses over with Animal Man now, either of these books could swap places.

3. Uncanny X-Force

What was just a random read for me, turned out to be easily the most engaging comic book I've read in a long time. This book has a lot a characters in the span of about 35 issues so far, and the team of Wolverine, Archangel, Deadpool, Fatomex, and Psylocke feels like one big character. Deadpool is generally a character that is somewhat poorly written, but Rick Remender paints him as a genuinely good guy that's crazy. However, the arcs in this book are short and grand in scale. It's one movie after another.

2. Daredevil

Like many of these other characters, Daredevil is someone I could care less about. That changed when his book was relaunched. Mark Waid has transformed Matt Murdock into the best Marvel hero in the business today. Matt is trying to simplify his life, yet so many things complicate it from so many angles. When he's f!ghting crime, you wonder about his day job, then his relationship with his best friends, his love life, his past…for a book that is so fun to read, it is very serious in tone. I'm amazed at how well everything flows in each issue, including tie ins with the Avengers and Spider-Man. Jerome Opeña's art is also flawless.

1. Batman

Every issue is a classic. The writing is flawless as Scott Snyder pits Batman against a new foe that immediately ranks amongst the best he's ever faced. There are probably few instances in which Batman is found defeated on a much more cerebral level than trying to cope with a de@th, or some intricate scheme. Both story arcs are challenging who Batman is from the inside out, while the city of Gotham hangs in the balance. The artwork by Greg Capullo is second to none right now.

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

68 comments for "The 10 Best Mainstream Hero Comics of 2012"

12-10-2012, 12:49 PMaway - #2
ralph lauren 46 heat pts46

d 
space
$4,799 | POWERFUL
i need the nerds in this section to co-sign these

so i knows which ones to deff check out
 12-10-2012, 02:00 PMaway - #3
xFMx ALCHEMiST 123 heat pts123

d 
space
$7,007 | POWERFUL
how would one come about to reading these (DD & Batman) comics on the interweb?
 12-10-2012, 02:26 PMaway - #4
Hovi Bryant 228 heat pts228

d 
space
$18,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by adulel08
Jukebox. If you're legit, then there's comiXology. Whatever you purchase from them is available on just about every electronic platform.

Amazon offers comics also, but usually a lot later with fewer publishers on board.
 12-10-2012, 02:26 PMaway - #5
llpooh 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$1,252 | 13112000
just Google the name of the comic your looking for with .cbr at the end of it. you'll find links for random issues or graphic novels but its a nice start. you could also ask what are the names of the forums where all these comics are posted. Perhaps someone will just post links for the books you want. Or god forbid, you could go to marvel and dc's websites and pay to read the digital issues.
 12-10-2012, 02:27 PMonline - #6
kyh0mpb 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$3,001 | POWERFUL
This
 12-10-2012, 02:38 PMaway - #7
ThePainkiller 296 heat pts296

d 
space
$52,468 | POWERFUL
Telling you, that Aquaman comic is underrated but it's probably number 2 of the new 52. It's funny and they take these jabs at him every time, but in the comics he is awesome and his role is so much better.

Wonderwoman is good, but that's nothing new. Some people didn't like it at first.

Batman is dark and gritty. #### actually sends chills down my spine. Just read the first 2 and you'll see why.
 12-10-2012, 08:08 PMaway - #8
hitman80v2.0 47 heat pts47

d 
space
$1,516 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ralph lauren

I been collecting for 22 years. Spend about $60 every 2 week on books. I co-sign all of them BUT.......... Uncanny X-Force is about to start over fresh with a reboot. I think it still will be a good read because this new team is going to be led by Cyclops son Cable again just like when the book very first started.
 12-10-2012, 08:13 PMaway - #9
hitman80v2.0 47 heat pts47

d 
space
$1,516 | POWERFUL
Check out all the books are in CBR (comicbookreader) format. You can download a CBR read for free almost anywhere. the site also has newspapers, magazines, hard cover books, music, and movies.

Last edited by hitman80v2.0; 12-10-2012 at 08:16 PM..
 12-10-2012, 08:35 PMaway - #10
walker2781 6 heat pts

d 
space
$1,723 | 9637326
The New 52's Batman Court of Owls was ####in dope as #### Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo r the dynamic duo. Right now Im collecting the Batman de@th in the Family, the #### with the new Joker in it, another of Scott Snyder and Capullo's great work. The rest of that #### I aint read but I damn sho want to. I might check out the Daredevil and Uncanny X force
 12-10-2012, 09:34 PMaway - #11
BRonin357 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,244 | 16358766
Read some of the uncanny xmen earlier this year and it was great, caught the court of owls arc thru most of batmans spinoffs and base and that was awesome. But I fell off after the summer so I need to re-up on Batman, Xmen, and the rest I'll check out save for animal man.
 12-10-2012, 10:28 PMaway - #12
Swag Daddy 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$224 | 6286611
props
 12-10-2012, 10:31 PMaway - #13
JFamis 167 heat pts167

d 
space
$13,776 | POWERFUL
Got all them Batman joints on my iPad. I pay for them too and don't even regret it.
 12-10-2012, 11:54 PMonline - #14
Khazano 

d 
space
$2,301 | 6893822

I havent read any of them since I just dont have time for weekly comics any more... But the Daredevil series he speaks about has been getting amazing reviews across the board consistently.
 12-11-2012, 12:06 AMaway - #15
52:1 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$16,831 | POWERFUL
####ty list in my humble opinion,

ton of other hero's even some villain's who deserve that top 10 spot.

John Constantine alone would PUNISH half the list if not more. and THAT's real.
 12-11-2012, 12:07 AMaway - #16
52:1 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$16,831 | POWERFUL

haven't been collecting for 22 years like the other kat, but im not feeling that list. def not a true top 10. personal opinion though.
 12-11-2012, 12:49 AMaway - #17
Jumpoff21 3 heat pts

d 
space
$2,735 | 8148135
10. Justice League

meh nothing great has went down in this book since darkside....

9. Green Lantern

Pretty great , hal's a di#k and the best Green Lantern

8. Aquaman

LOVE THIS BOOK, Black manta is one the best and coldest villian's eveer

7. Hawkeye

Liked the first issue just because he saved and kept the dog, but can't stand kate bishop.

6. Wonder Woman
Meh tried the first few didn't stick

5. Animal Man
LOVE This book it's one of DC's Best

4. Swamp Thing

Also a great book

3. Uncanny X-Force

can't get into mutants after the 90's ...I just can't but I didnt read a few issues, nothing jumps out as great

2. Daredevil
DD the issues I have read have been great,and plus dude straight up snatch Black Cat away from spidey with no problem.

1. Batman
No comment I refuse to read any batman comics

but I'd take off X-force batman ,wonderwoman,justice league, Daredevil and Hawkeye and replace them with

Justice Leauge Dark
I Vampire
and damn I really can't think of any more
 12-11-2012, 01:55 AMaway - #18
NAKHI ALLAH 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,453 | POWERFUL
Only one I agree on is aquaman.

My top 10:

1. All new x men (immonem art alone seals the deal)
2. Ultimates
3. Ultimate X men
4. Ultimate Spiderman (just love the alternate spin on the MU)
5. Earth 2
6. Teen Titans
7. Aquaman
8. A + X
9. Scarlet Spider
10. Red Hood and the Outlaws
 12-11-2012, 03:13 AMaway - #19
faizyapr30 

d 
space
$40 | 105191
he picked mostly dc comics so i think its suspect....
aquaman a man that talks to fish? gtfoh
 12-11-2012, 04:18 AMaway - #20
Hovi Bryant 228 heat pts228

d 
space
$18,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by faizyapr30
he picked mostly dc comics so i think its suspect....
aquaman a man that talks to fish? gtfoh
Marvel has some great books. Honestly, I would replace Justice League with the new Captian Marvel, but she's been out less than a year. Which makes my Hawkeye pick really crazy. But I love the art and story in his book. It's like I'm reading a modern classic. Great storytelling of this era and the art from legends like Jack Kirby. The vibe is similar to Daredevil in some sorts.

Also with my Swamp Thing pick, news came out the other day that Scott Snyder is leaving the book to do a new Superman title next year. Kind of bittersweet, but Superman's current comics aren't really where it's at right now. I'm sure Snyder and the legendary Jim Lee are about to change that.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
What's Your Go-To Game Right Now?
63 comments
No Man's Sky is Timed Exclusive
53 comments
NBA Mason Plumee to make 12 man USA team roster over DeMarcu..
140 comments
 Video inside Chiwire Gbe Exposed By Sd's Brother
New reply 3 minutes ago - 54 comments - by SavageMitten
 NBA Usa Basketball Showcase On Espn - August 1 - 9:00pm Est
New reply 34 minutes ago - 1006 comments - by Dee Grande
 Video inside Donkey Of The Day: Fredro Starr
New reply 3 minutes ago - 135 comments - by Supacat
  Karruche Dumps Chris Brown
New reply 37 minutes ago - 82 comments - by grunsthis
 NBA Paul George Says He's Going To Average 25-30 Ppg :jord...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 69 comments - by Free Trotty
  Jul 31 - Taco Bell Employee Of 26 Years Suddenly Fired...
New reply 41 minutes ago - 67 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NBA Charles Barkley Says There Are Only 5 Real Jobs In The...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 145 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside "the Bi-ch Came Out Of Me Son, I Aint Gonna Front...
New reply 45 minutes ago - 67 comments - by reelife

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,760 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.