This is BX @ Boxden.com

‘Spartacus: War of the Damned’ Trailer Sets The Stage For Epic Series Finale

topic by Steve - 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

If the trailer for Spartacus: War of the Damned is any indication, then Starz’ sword-swinging series is about to go out on a rousing, skull-cracking high-note, as the third (not counting a prequel miniseries) and final season prepares to cause a ruckus with 10 all new episodes set to premiere in late January.

Taking creator and executive producer Stephen S. DeKnight’s words to heart, War of the Damned clearly wants to be “the biggest, most insanely epic season we’ve ever had.” The trailer does a great job of illustrating the larger scope of the season, and its ramifications for Spartacus (Liam McIntyre) and his band of merry gladiators: Crixus (Manu Bennett), Gannicus (Dustin Clare) and Agron (Dan Feuerriegel). At any rate, with nothing left to lose, DeKnight and his crew certainly don’t appear to be holding anything back, as the action has shifted from the gladiatorial arenas of Blood & Sand, to the guerrilla tactics of Vengeance, and now we see the rebels have amassed a force large enough to engage in a full on war with the Roman army.

Perhaps looking at the series as a single story arc better explains why Starz felt this would be the best time to end Spartacus – on what would essentially be it’s third act. Certainly, each season appears to be raising the bar in terms of the scale of its storytelling, and the events of Vengeance do serve to set up the climactic (albeit compressed) end to a rather epic tale.

Starz sums up the final season with this synopsis:

War of the Damned takes place following the defeat of Roman commander Gaius Claudius Glaber. Spartacus and his men have amassed major victories against the Romans after the Battle of Vesuvius. These victories have not only forged the legend of Spartacus, but have greatly increased the ranks of the rebellion slaves to more than 30,000. Rome is indeed beginning to tremble at the threat Spartacus now represents.

While Rome has always stood as the collective “villain” of the series, one of the most remarkable things DeKnight and his writers have managed to do in previous seasons is craft a compelling storyline around the actual men and women who represent Rome, often making them as interesting and fully realized as the heroes. Last season, Craig Parker’s Claudius Glaber had the unenviable task of trying to fill the void left behind by John Hannah’s Batiatus, and with the help of memorable turns from Lucy Lawless and Viva Bianca, the character of Glaber and his many personal and professional problems became a gripping addition to Spartacus’ quest for vengeance (hence the title of season 2). Now, in War of the Damned, DeKnight and his heroes are facing off against Marcus Crassus (Simon Merrells) and a young Julius Caesar (Todd Lasance), who look to be a pair of welcome late additions to the pantheon of rich villainy on Spartacus.

Needless to say, many – including series executive producer Stephen S. DeKnight – were taken a little off guard by the network’s announcement that War of the Damned would be the final season for the increasingly well-regarded series and flagship title in the Starz line-up of original programming. And while there are rumors of a Julius Caesar spin-off series, and DeKnight is currently working on a sci-fi program for the network titled Incursion, it’ll be sad to see the series go. But judging from this trailer alone, the series has no plans to go quietly.

-

Spartacus: War of the Damned premieres Friday, January 25 @9pm on Starz.

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

27 comments for "‘Spartacus: War of the Damned’ Trailer Sets The Stage For Epic Series Finale"

12-27-2012, 06:13 PMaway - #2
Jacc Blacc 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$16,710 | POWERFUL
anyone who has somewhat of an education knows how this #### ends
 12-27-2012, 06:47 PMaway - #3
cashrules93 

d 
space
$3,088 | 3702356
you dont even need to be somewhat educated, school wise, because i never heard the name spartacus one time in school but definetely know the whole story. i know im not alone when i say i learned 1000 times more #### about alot of #### after i graduated then i learned in school. still cant get that "then" "than" thing tho.
 12-27-2012, 06:50 PMaway - #4
raptor 

d 
space
$226 | 1318840
in fairness they never found his body.

this show aint about them happy endings though
 12-27-2012, 08:21 PMaway - #5
ricengravy 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,742 | 8937860
im mad i dont like it as much anymore just cuz of the new ni##a
 12-27-2012, 08:48 PMaway - #6
Jacc Blacc 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$16,710 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by cashrules93
you dont even need to be somewhat educated, school wise, because i never heard the name spartacus one time in school but definetely know the whole story. i know im not alone when i say i learned 1000 times more #### about alot of #### after i graduated then i learned in school. still cant get that "then" "than" thing tho.
im about to graduate college and will be heading to graduate school and i still fukk up on the "than" "then" ####

your not alone
 12-27-2012, 08:50 PMaway - #7
Jacc Blacc 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$16,710 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by raptor
in fairness they never found his body.

this show aint about them happy endings though
this is true BUT it doesnt matter if he got away, his whole movement was squashed and the surivors were crucified like jesus was

and im pretty sure theyr###d any female with them
 12-27-2012, 09:02 PMaway - #8
young moolah 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,870 | 13220376
i watched the first episode of the first season and i couldn't get past it. there was way too much CGI and they overused the slow motion effect to the point it just got ridiculous.
 12-27-2012, 09:26 PMaway - #9
subway series 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$2,142 | 20734873
Originally Posted by young moolah
i watched the first episode of the first season and i couldn't get past it. there was way too much CGI and they overused the slow motion effect to the point it just got ridiculous.
you missed out pard'ner
 12-27-2012, 09:56 PMaway - #10
killya 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,952 | 19814040
yea...because the real story ended a certain way does mean the series will...this is hollywood...unless the dude is going for historical fact...which i doubt.
 12-28-2012, 12:29 AMaway - #11
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts

d 
space
$23,606 | POWERFUL
i swear they cancelled this show...

thank you show gods
 12-28-2012, 12:55 AMaway - #12
Bea5T 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$17,609 | POWERFUL
first season and the prequel were dope

second season was

glad they are ending it
 12-28-2012, 01:06 AMaway - #13
sayyam 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$552 | 8419522

Real tragedy Andy Whitfield died. He was going to make it one of the best series ever.

New guy is a piece of ####, cant stand him. Hes the reason why its just 3 seasons. Cheesy as #### now
 12-28-2012, 01:28 AMaway - #14
Bedewe22 1 heat pts

d 
space
$8,118 | POWERFUL
ni##as really hate the new lead actor.

The beginning of season one was ####, and that's when Andy was the star.
 12-28-2012, 06:24 PMonline - #15
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts

d 
space
$23,998 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by p00rky
I love this show. I miss the original actor that played Spartacus
I basically couldn't watch it after the main actor died #### messed me up
 12-28-2012, 06:48 PMonline - #16
Trill Azz Nigga 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,422 | 19568242
its goin down
 12-28-2012, 07:24 PMaway - #17
triznathaniel 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$4,191 | POWERFUL
RIP Andy Whitfield, but you're focusing too much on one thing in a series full of awesome characters if you let the one guy wreck it all... I'm honestly more tight about them k!lling off Oenamaus than the new Spartacus...

Body is ready for season 3
 12-29-2012, 05:45 AMaway - #18
VeX 

d 
space
$3,314 | 4612552
can't wait for this ####
 12-29-2012, 06:05 AMaway - #19
S|S 

d 
space
$11,590 | POWERFUL
First season was the only good one, with the prequel season being ok. New lead made this show trash, and since then, I just watch it for the t&a...
 12-29-2012, 07:50 AMaway - #20
LicensedLegend 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$4,010 | 18809400
I just bought season 1 on Blu Ray last night. Best show on television right now.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Sep 18 - Magic Johnson Donates Blood to Leukemia and ..
53 comments
NFL Falcons Vs Bucs week 3
758 comments
Official "NBA 2k15" topic
76 comments
 Video inside Ray-j Da Gawd Out Here Gaming These Broads
New reply 8 minutes ago - 67 comments - by PrisonRules
 Image(s) inside Sep 17 - Pizza Hut Testing 'skinny Slice'
New reply 23 minutes ago - 87 comments - by phantomnation
 BOX Floyd Mayweather Vs Marcos Maidana 2(mayhem) Ppv Reach...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 86 comments - by ant30ant33
 Article inside 50 Cent Is Bipolar, Torae Says
New reply 36 minutes ago - 90 comments - by ajeana
 Article inside 2014 Bet Hip-hop Awards Cypher Lineup Announced
New reply 15 minutes ago - 109 comments - by Steve
 NFL Adrian Peterson Is Most Likely Done In Minnesota
New reply 1 hour ago - 127 comments - by Steve
  Best Job Ever? Waka Flocka Is Hiring A Blunt Roller Wi...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 102 comments - by DSmith93
 Video inside L'a Capone Day (rip To L'a)
New reply 1 hour ago - 82 comments - by lexdaghost

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.