This is BX @ Boxden.com

OFFICIAL Arrow Season 2 DISCUSSION Thread

OFFICIAL Arrow Season 2 DISCUSSION Thread
topic by Steve - 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

74 comments for "OFFICIAL Arrow Season 2 DISCUSSION Thread"

09-21-2013, 09:33 AMaway - #2
Steve 29386 heat pts29386

d 
space
$95,717 | POWERFUL
First Episode Description

FROM VIGILANTE TO HERO — Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) travel to Lian Yu in search of Oliver (Stephen Amell) who left Starling City after The Undertaking. Convinced to return home, Oliver finds that things are in worse shape than he thought – Isabel Rochev (guest star Summer Glau) is preparing a hostile takeover of Queen Consolidated, Thea (Willa Holland) refuses to visit Moira (Susanna Thompson) in jail, Roy (Colton Haynes) is trying to fill the void left by the Arrow’s absence, and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) is working with the District Attorney’s office to take down the vigilante. Meanwhile, flashbacks to the island show Slade (Manu Bennett), Shado (guest star Celina Jade) and Oliver in a desperate situation. John Behring directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Marc Guggenheim (201).

09-21-2013, 09:43 AMaway - #3
Kobane 135 heat pts135

d 
space
$11,269 | POWERFUL
Page First of Many
 09-21-2013, 09:59 AMaway - #4
PotheadFocker 92 heat pts92

d 
space
$19,403 | POWERFUL
 09-21-2013, 11:59 AMaway - #5
Snipper 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,612 | POWERFUL
 09-21-2013, 12:07 PMaway - #6
Michael 1987 636 heat pts636

d 
space
$58,926 | POWERFUL
Stop posting SM
 09-22-2013, 03:22 AMaway - #7
Steve 29386 heat pts29386

d 
space
$95,717 | POWERFUL

Fans of DC Comics are likely still trying to wrap their heads around the fact that after years of waiting, The Flash will finally be coming to TV – first introduced in Arrow season 2, then headlining his very own show. But now that the showrunners have found their leading man in the form of Glee alum Grant Gustin, more details are beginning to trickle out.

The announcement of Gustin’s casting raised several questions among fans, most notably whether or not The CW was going to be be rewriting the back-story of one of the Justice League‘s most beloved characters. It turns out Gustin – a devoted comic book fan – wasn’t sure what the network had in store either, but from what he’s learned so far, a massive reimagining likely isn’t the plan.

Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim seems to know the risks of mixing The Flash’s superpowers and the relatively grounded realism of Oliver Queen’s crusade, and maintains that the differences shouldn’t be an issue. Although Grant Gustin (with a name like that, we’d honestly expect him to be a comic book writer) dreamed of portraying a superhero, he knew there was one issue that might arise with Barry Allen’s character. Gustin explained to E! Online:

“I got an audition and I was really excited and a little skeptical at first, because I’m a comic book fan. I know the character and know I’m a little young.

“I’m kind of running around a little bit, but mostly just for fun at this point… Just because I’m really excited… I’m a little fanboy. I’m so excited to be a part of the show.”

Grant Gustin to play Barry Allen AKA The Flash in Arrow season 2 Arrow Season 2: The Flash Actor Talks Traditional Costume

We’ll concede that we were as nervous as anyone to see the showrunners cast a young actor in the traditionally adult role of Barry Allen/The Flash, and Gustin’s own concerns prove that it’s a fair issue to discuss. But it’s worth pointing out that the issue of age isn’t quite as much of a sticking point with Barry Allen as other heroes; over the years, the banner of The Flash has been carried by several men of differing ages, so ‘a young Flash’ isn’t the heresy some outspoken naysayers might claim.

With Gustin’s age set aside (along with his hair color), the writers seem to be making some promising steps to get audiences invested in Barry Allen as the forensic police scientist first and the superhero later. As we now know, Allen will appear in two episodes of Arrow before being granted his powers; a structure Gustin confirms is the plan, adding that Allen will be characterized as an “up-and-comer” in his field of study.

Although Gustin doesn’t know just how broad the writers will go with The Flash’s powers by the season’s end, he’s seen real potential for out-of-the-box stories while digging through comic books and Arrow writer Geoff Johns’ Flash runs for homework:

“We’re going to be Barry Allen first in two episodes and then he’ll come back later as The Flash. I haven’t actually had a chance to read any scripts yet, so we’ll see.

“I didn’t realize before I started doing all my research that he can actually time travel, he can run so fast… I think that’d be a really fun thing to play with on the show is him kind of going to different times and experimenting with that. That’d be fun.”

It’s far from confirmed that the writers will be interested in going that far with Allen’s character anytime soon, especially since the character’s own forays into time travel tend to result in massive catastrophes (see The Flashpoint Paradox for a recent example). That said, the end of Arrow‘s first season more than surprised us, so anything’s possible. The writers need a strong launching point for The Flash series, after all.

Flash Movie Justice League Discussion Arrow Season 2: The Flash Actor Talks Traditional Costume

Whatever his age, fans will be more concerned with how The Flash actually looks when doing his crime-f!ghting. The last few years have seen some significant redesigns or ‘updates’ to beloved costumes in both movies and the comics (Man of Steel‘s supersuit and the New 52′s Superman, for instance), so the idea of a new take on the Flash suit isn’t out of the question. Especially given The CW’s changes made to the Green Arrow costume.

But from what Gustin’s heard so far, fans needn’t worry:

“I would imagine when The Flash comes he’ll be in a pretty traditional Flash costume… That’s kind of what I’ve caught wind of.”

Since Gustin is a self-professed lifelong DC fan, his words carry a bit of weight. Still, the term ‘traditional’ (read: red with yellow lightning bolts) covers plenty of ground where The Flash is concerned, so we’ll await more details before weighing in.

What’s your take? Should The CW bring their incarnation of The Flash closer to the comics than Arrow did, or keep it distinct from the film that is apparently still on its way? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

_____

Arrow Season 2 premieres October 9th, 2013 @8pm on The CW.
 09-22-2013, 04:10 AMaway - #8
AnaMayShun 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,372 | POWERFUL
2 and a half more weeks. Can't wait.
 09-22-2013, 12:24 PMaway - #9
Truth33 9 heat pts

d 
space
$2,339 | 11992858
Cant wait. Interested to see who else they bring in this season
 09-22-2013, 03:28 PMonline - #10
bosslife11 

d 
space
$444 | 1622169
ya'll had me thinking it was coming on this wednesday with this thread
 09-22-2013, 05:10 PMaway - #11
kawgre12 4 heat pts

d 
space
$6,085 | 13234912
 09-22-2013, 07:37 PMaway - #12
MainEv3nt|M 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$20,873 | POWERFUL
are u serious, cant wait i thought id have to wait longer.
 09-22-2013, 09:51 PMaway - #13
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts

d 
space
$23,603 | POWERFUL
they should make the flash wally west instead of barry allen since the actor playing him is young as ####...

its gon be hard to believe a cat that was just on glee is now a fully fledge adult scientist....

09-22-2013, 10:34 PMaway - #14
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts

d 
space
$14,953 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by .Mase Da Rula.
they should make the flash wally west instead of barry allen since the actor playing him is young as ####...

its gon be hard to believe a cat that was just on glee is now a fully fledge adult scientist....

To be fair, whether it's Wally or Barry it really doesn't matter, as the flash is generally one of the youngest in the JL, more specifically the main heroes.
 09-23-2013, 12:18 AMaway - #15

d 
space
$19,403 | POWERFUL

Glee watcher eh?
 09-23-2013, 07:42 PMaway - #16

d 
space
$23,603 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by PotheadFocker
Glee watcher eh?
I am.... or at least I was before the last two seasons..

it got unbearably gay in season 4

after that.. I was
 09-23-2013, 07:46 PMaway - #17

d 
space
$23,603 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by C.R.I.P.
To be fair, whether it's Wally or Barry it really doesn't matter, as the flash is generally one of the youngest in the JL, more specifically the main heroes.
true... but if they ever decide to bring in other metahumans and the green lantern.. it gon be trippy b/c GL and the Flash were partnered up alot in the JL....

and we all know.. green arrow was a later addition to the JL.. so the timing would be blurry at best..

but it already a blur so..
 09-23-2013, 07:47 PMaway - #18

d 
space
$19,403 | POWERFUL
I am.... or at least I was before the last two seasons..

it got unbearably gay in season 4

after that.. I was
Yeah I don't really mess with musicals of any kind at all.
 09-23-2013, 08:19 PMaway - #19
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$32,460 | POWERFUL
I guess SM didn't wanna have a regular poster make the season 2 discussion thread so he of course jumped all over it

Don't matter, the original will be forever in my name, typo and all

Needless to say the real is back where is Michael with them Ollie smilies
 09-23-2013, 08:24 PMonline - #20
HiRolliN 102 heat pts102

d 
space
$14,895 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Rico23
I guess SM didn't wanna have a regular poster make the season 2 discussion thread so he of course jumped all over it

Don't matter, the original will be forever in my name, typo and all

Needless to say the real is back where is Michael with them Ollie smilies
we should just go back to the other thread lol

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Sep 15 - Texas Sheriff Claims ‘Quran Books’ Found At Mexican Bo..
54 comments
Image inside  Whats the BX "Player" verdict for Destiny?
81 comments
NFL FAIL: Raiders James Jones sums up the last 10 years of R..
57 comments
 NBA Charles Barkley On Adrian Peterson: 'every Black Paren...
New reply 8 seconds ago - 224 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Article inside Destiny Is Bungie’s Worst Reviewed Game Ever
New reply 3 minutes ago - 92 comments - by Tiko377
 NFL Monday Night Football: Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) Vs In...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 1121 comments - by Loso Luciano24
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Disses Tony Yayo Over Instagram Post About Flo...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 136 comments - by PyrexVisionary
 Image(s) inside I'm Just Going To Leave This Here...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 62 comments - by jeehtoven
 NBA Kevin Durant Says Allen Iverson 'pound For Pound The B...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 82 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside Mother And Daughter Come Out As A Lesbian Couple...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 135 comments - by Andrefrbk
 Video inside The Official Destiny Thread
New reply 12 minutes ago - 690 comments - by BX HD

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.