This is BX @ Boxden.com

Nicolas Cage on Turning Down 'Dumb & Dumber,' Winning Another Oscar and the Movie that Made Him Chan

Nicolas Cage on Turning Down 'Dumb & Dumber,' Winning Another Oscar and the Movie that Made Him Chan
topic by SM - 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

While promoting "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence," the actor discussed his former friendship with Jim Carrey, and why he hated making "Fast Times At Ridgemont High."

Nicolas Cage may be known for his tough-guy roles in action films like Face/Off, Gone in Sixty Seconds and National Treasure.

But, if things had gone differently, he may have been known for a very different role.

While doing press for his upcoming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (opening Feb. 17), the actor discussed a role he almost took: Jim Carrey's sidekick in Dumb & Dumber.

"Well, we talked at length about trying to do a movie together," Cage told the Huffington Post of having been good friends with Carrey, who he now no longer talks to (because they "fell out of conversation")." In fact, he wanted me to be in Dumb & Dumber with him. And then I wanted to do a much smaller movie instead called Leaving Las Vegas."

That film ended up earning Cage his only Oscar, something he says he's not concerned with vying for again.

"It isn't important to me," he admitted. "In fact, I think that if you go about making movies to win Oscars, you're really going about it the wrong way. I think that it's ... right now, what I'm excited about is trying to create a [pauses] kind of a cultural understanding through my muse that is part of the zeitgeist that isn't motivated by vanity or magazine covers or awards. It's more, not countercultural, but counter-critical. I would like to find a way to embrace what Led Zeppelin did, in filmmaking."

Which is to say he doesn't want to court the press. Something he also did early in his career when he changed his stage to Cage from Coppola.

Though, the actor says it was his experience on cult favorite Fast Times at Ridgemont High (which starred a then little-known Sean Penn), that made him abandon his famous last name.

"I must have auditioned for the Judge Reinhold part 10 or 11 times," he says, calling the film a "terrible experience." "I was underage, so I couldn't get it because I couldn't work as many hours. And I was surrounded by actors, whose names I won't mention, who were not very open to the idea of a young guy named "Coppola" being an actor. So that movie was instrumental in me changing my name because of the kind of unfortunate responses to my last name."

In fact, Cage says he was harassed on set. "The would congregate outside my trailer and say things, like quoting lines from Apocalypse Now, and it made it very hard for me to believe in myself."

But, gaining anonymity through "Cage" solved many of those problems. "It wasn't until I auditioned for Valley Girl -- where Martha Coolidge did not know who I was. I had already changed my name to Cage and I had this weight come off my body and I went, "Wow, I really can do this." And I felt liberated by that experience. And you can see it in Valley Girl that I'm free. Whereas in Fast Times, or even Rumble Fish, I'm somewhat stuck.

Nicolas Cage on Turning Down 'Dumb & Dumber,' Winning Another Oscar and the Movie that Made Him Change His Name - The Hollywood Reporter

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

17 comments for "Nicolas Cage on Turning Down 'Dumb & Dumber,' Winning Another Oscar and the Movie that Made Him Chan"

02-14-2012, 09:25 PMaway - #2
LowaEastSide5 121 heat pts121

d 
space
$20,545 | POWERFUL
thank god he turned it down.
 02-15-2012, 11:09 AMaway - #3
DonYBE 

d 
space
$2,187 | 5150112
Originally Posted by LowaEastSide5
thank god he turned it down.
Agreed. That role was made for Jeff Daniels
 02-15-2012, 12:18 PMaway - #4
Delbert Mengel 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$19,160 | POWERFUL
i actually really like nic cage. interesting guy and always comes across well in interviews. yes he over acts in a few movies but he's had some great performances too.
 02-15-2012, 01:58 PMaway - #5
efromthev 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,879 | 14135692
Not that I haven't liked some Nicolas Cage movies but sometimes his acting makes me cringe.... But damn, he would of ruined a comedy classic if he would of took Jeff Daniels spot.

This never gets old.

Nicolas Cage Losing His sh#t - YouTube
 02-15-2012, 02:23 PMaway - #6
RayG210 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$3,017 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by efromthev
Not that I haven't liked some Nicolas Cage movies but sometimes his acting makes me cringe.... But damn, he would of ruined a comedy classic if he would of took Jeff Daniels spot.

This never gets old.

@ 1:10, "YOU ####ING HANGERS!"
 02-15-2012, 02:38 PMaway - #7
jack_napier 

d 
space
$3,207 | 7238149

This never gets old.

02-15-2012, 03:05 PMaway - #8
illMattie 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$3,457 | POWERFUL
never knew his real name was Coppola (and that Francis Ford Coppola is his uncle. and Jason Schwartzman is his cousin.)

But what exactly happened with him and Jim Carrey?
 02-15-2012, 03:40 PMaway - #9
frankfmoney 9 heat pts

d 
space
$1,357 | 9943139
I think that if you go about making movies to win Oscars, you're really going about it the wrong way.
Yeah, you in it for the money because most of the roles you take on are ####ty.
 02-15-2012, 04:32 PMonline - #10
Agentzer0oo0 123 heat pts123

d 
space
$47,034 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illMattie
never knew his real name was Coppola (and that Francis Ford Coppola is his uncle. and Jason Schwartzman is his cousin.)

Probably the same exact #### that happened with him an Sean Penn.

I'm with Delbert as one of the people that like him as an actor but yea he def. over-acts at times. He's like Ric Flair in a way
 02-15-2012, 07:24 PMonline - #11
liveson777 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,744 | 7381868
He one of my fav actors
 02-16-2012, 01:35 AMaway - #12
Killa Kwamz 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,746 | 0

This never gets old.

Name of movie where he punching bitxhes
 02-16-2012, 09:06 AMaway - #13
j3rz 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,162 | 4235080
Originally Posted by Killa Kwamz
Name of movie where he punching bitxhes
the best worse movie of all time The Wicker Man
 02-16-2012, 09:24 AMaway - #14
keithbm1111 96 heat pts96

d 
space
$27,398 | POWERFUL
thank the lorrrrrrrrdddd he turned that down i cant stand this guy. movie would not have been enarly as good with this tool instead of Jeff Daniels...

all time classic, top 3 movie ever made
 02-16-2012, 11:52 AMaway - #15
bongt0ker420 

d 
space
$1,543 | 2156128
dudes talkin like a vampire
 02-16-2012, 12:05 PMaway - #16
KRiSH 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$7,800 | POWERFUL

This never gets old.

02-16-2012, 12:54 PMaway - #17
DaViLLe726 2 heat pts

d 
space
$2,643 | POWERFUL

This never gets old.

i love how they play the score from requiem for a dream in the backround. makes it even seem like he sucks even more with that music lmao.
i lol'd
 02-16-2012, 03:47 PMaway - #18
illMattie 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$3,457 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illMattie
Originally Posted by Agentzer0oo0
Probably the same exact #### that happened with him an Sean Penn.
and was was that?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Jul 31 - Iraq Signs '$1 Billion Arms Deal' With Russia
50 comments
NBA Charles Barkley Says There Are Only 5 Real Jobs In The W..
103 comments
NBA NBA referee comes out as Gay...Another step forward for ..
88 comments
  Gq Magazine Names Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twist...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 179 comments - by CosbySweater
 Image(s) inside Jul 30 - Hate Crime Maps Reveal The Most Prejudiced Pl...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 76 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
  17 Perfect Responses When Someone Doesn't Text Back
New reply 9 minutes ago - 56 comments - by grunsthis
 Video inside Onyx Interview (fredo Starr & Sticky Fingaz) At Th...
New reply 40 minutes ago - 290 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Video inside Lil Wayne Attends Supperclub To Celebrate Mack Maine’s...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 145 comments - by Danny M
 Video inside How To Feed Seven People With Just $3.35
New reply 43 minutes ago - 111 comments - by Jesszman
 NBA Michael Jordan Admits Kobe Is Better Than Him (video)
New reply 22 minutes ago - 69 comments - by iamsoulja
 Video inside Raekwon Says He Cant Stand F##king H0mos
New reply 47 minutes ago - 250 comments - by WizLatifa

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,760 fans of BX | none new today 4,741 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.