This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jesse Eisenberg Sues Lionsgate Over Its 'Camp Hell' Advertising

Jesse Eisenberg Sues Lionsgate Over Its 'Camp Hell' Advertising
topic by Steve - 11-30-2011, 11:29 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

After "The Social Network"s' endless scenes of depositions, Jesse Eisenberg should have a pretty firm grounding in the legal system.

That might come in handy.

Last week, the Oscar nominee hit Lionsgate and Grindstone Entertainment with a $3 million lawsuit, charging the companies with falsely advertising his cameo in "Camp Hell" as a lead role in the low-budget horror film.

The "Zombieland" star claims that in 2007 he agreed to spend one day filming a small part in the film as a favor to friends. In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, he says that he received only minimal compensation for his work.

Also read: Jesse Eisenberg Grilled on Doing It to Mark Zuckerberg

Yet, art for the film's DVD jacket trades heavily on Eisenberg's minimal work, featuring a large photo of his face and his name above the title.

"Eisenberg's reputation and good will with the public and his fans will be severely harmed if they are duped into purchasing a copy of the 'Camp Hell' DVD as a result of false advertising by defendants that it is a horror film starring Jesse Eisenberg," the complaint reads. "Eisenberg's fans and the public should be protected from defendants' fraudulent conduct and false advertising and unfair business practices."

A spokesperson for Lionsgate declined to comment.

Eisenberg is alleging misappropriation of right of publicity, quantum meruit (a legal phrase meaning reasonable value of services) and unfair business practices. He said that the studio is consciously trading on his recent film hits in an effort to sell the low-budget "Camp Hell."

The movie centers on a Bible camp that becomes demonically possessed. Bruce Davison stars as the priest in charge of the camp.

Jesse Eisenberg Sues Lionsgate Over Its 'Camp Hell' Advertising | The Wrap Movies

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

15 comments for "Jesse Eisenberg Sues Lionsgate Over Its 'Camp Hell' Advertising"

12-01-2011, 12:09 AMaway - #2
rdogg11 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$904 | 14193019
good.
 12-01-2011, 03:06 AMaway - #3
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,518 | POWERFUL
What a lame. He filmed it with some friends and now he's going to sue them because they put his face on the cover? Lame.
 12-01-2011, 05:21 AMaway - #4
Syphernix 9 heat pts

d 
space
$16,241 | POWERFUL
good for him

one day of work and he on the cover??? #### that ####

pay the man, in hollywood #### friends otherwise you get ####ed over by the studios
 12-01-2011, 08:37 AMaway - #5
Drug Free|M 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$44,867 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by I'm The Dan
What a lame. He filmed it with some friends and now he's going to sue them because they put his face on the cover? Lame.
no, he probably did a cameo for a friend who was in the movie and and then lionsgate said "we gotta put him on the cover for some star power"

hes suing lionsgate, not his friend.
 12-01-2011, 11:45 AMaway - #6
Advent 

d 
space
$42 | 210504
Originally Posted by SM
in 2007 he agreed to spend one day filming a small part in the film as a favor to friends. In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, he says that he received only minimal compensation for his work.
how much did he expect to get for spending only 1 day on set as a favor and filming a small part or a cameo that would last a few mins? way dude goes on about "minimal compensation for his work" makes it look like he filmed a major role and was on the set for the majority of the film.
 12-01-2011, 03:34 PMaway - #7
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$19,609 | POWERFUL
he had to put this out there to counter any ill will towards him
 12-01-2011, 04:38 PMonline - #8
Ham Rove 2020 heat pts2020

d 
space
$37,040 | POWERFUL
he had to sue, if he didn't Studios would think this is ok for them to do. Cant be letting studios gang bang u like that.
 12-01-2011, 09:10 PMaway - #9
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,024 | POWERFUL
why we pirate.
 12-01-2011, 09:10 PMaway - #10
Kallywood 

d 
space
$609 | POWERFUL
"Eisenberg's reputation and good will with the public and his fans will be severely harmed if they are duped into purchasing a copy of the 'Camp Hell' DVD as a result of false advertising by defendants that it is a horror film starring Jesse Eisenberg,"

"fans"???

"severly harmed"
 12-01-2011, 09:11 PMaway - #11
rdogg11 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$904 | 14193019
I remember renting a movie because it had JIM CARREY on the cover.

He was only in it for about 30 seconds about an hour and half into the movie. I was pissed. Although I was about 9 at the time. LOL
 12-01-2011, 09:13 PMaway - #12
Cashis Clay 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$2,962 | 16504002
Originally Posted by Advent
how much did he expect to get for spending only 1 day on set as a favor and filming a small part or a cameo that would last a few mins? way dude goes on about "minimal compensation for his work" makes it look like he filmed a major role and was on the set for the majority of the film.
I think that's the whole point of him suing...if you wanna put him on the cover like he's the star of the movie then pay the man
 12-01-2011, 09:20 PMaway - #13
facility651 6 heat pts

d 
space
$1,646 | 11131258
Originally Posted by I'm The Dan
he's not suing his friends he's suing Lionsgate and Grindstone ent. they made the box art for the movie and probably reworked it after he got bigger fame.
 12-01-2011, 09:31 PMaway - #14
youknowmystelo 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$14,104 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Kallywood
"Eisenberg's reputation and good will with the public and his fans will be severely harmed if they are duped into purchasing a copy of the 'Camp Hell' DVD as a result of false advertising by defendants that it is a horror film starring Jesse Eisenberg,"

"fans"???

"severly harmed"
this the type of movie you'll probably find for 2.99 in the walmart bin.
 12-01-2011, 10:57 PMaway - #15
yeaaahbenn 

d 
space
$783 | 2375715
Originally Posted by dcashalston
I think that's the whole point of him suing...if you wanna put him on the cover like he's the star of the movie then pay the man
word its not like hes sayin he didnt get paid enough for his cameo, theyre plasterin his face all over the ####. now theyre using his star appeal while only payin him for the lil bull#### 3mins he's prolly in the movie. thats misleading his fanbase and ####. so makes sense for him to sue.
 12-02-2011, 02:44 AMaway - #16
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,518 | POWERFUL
Ok, if he isn't suing his friends, then I don't give a ####.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
68 comments
Remastered Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas On The Way?
60 comments
NBA LeBron: We're Not A Big Three, We're A Big Fifteen
53 comments
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 13 seconds ago - 297 comments - by blafy
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 148 comments - by st21
  Oct 21 - Rush Limbaugh Is America’s Least-trusted News...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Ham Rove
  Oct 21 - She Tweeted Against The Mexican Cartels. They...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Turk3
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Speaks On Eminem And Jay-z (:truth:)
New reply 4 minutes ago - 185 comments - by BasedonMars
  Tyga Praises Lil Wayne, Kanye, Jay-z & Em, Says Dr...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 129 comments - by mdemaz
 Video inside Lord Jamar: Raven-symone Is Having An Identity Crisis
New reply 4 minutes ago - 95 comments - by Carlton Black
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 65 comments - by BreakfastClub

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,796 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.