Jay Leno’s Final ‘Tonight Show’ Tonight
topic by SM - 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM - Boxden > The TV and Movie Spot

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

“I don’t like goodbyes – NBC does – but I don’t care for them,” an emotional Jay Leno said, kicking off a star-studded final broadcast show as host of The Tonight Show. “Tonight is our last show for real. I don’t need to be fired three times – I get the hint,” Leno joked to a friends-and-family studio audience as he ended his 22-year run Thursday night. It’s his second very-last-time-as-host — having been pushed aside in 2009 by NBC to make way for Conan O’Brien, who lasted 7 months.

Tonight Show with Jay Leno“I’ve got to tell you, the outpouring from people has really been touching. Anthony Weiner sent me a photo of his p#nis looking really sad.”

In sharp contrast to the “last” time Jay Leno celebrated his very last night as host of Tonight Show, in 2009, when, ever the team player, he had O’Brien as his final night’s guest, tonight’s taping was packed with celebrities. Longtime pal Garth Brooks performed his hit “The Dance.” And a cast of A-listers performed with Billy Crystal and The Shut Your Von Trapp Family Singers, the Rogers & Hammerstein tune from The Sound Of Music, “So Long, Farewell” with lyrics changed to suit the occasion.

But first, Leno mulled exactly how long 22 years is.

- “Here’s how long ago it is. When I started hosting, marijuana was illegal and you could smoke cigarettes anywhere you wanted.”

- “Twenty two years ago, guys had to go to newsstands for pr0n, can you imagine?”

- “So much has happened. You know the saddest part – OJ never found the real serial k!ller.”

Related: Jay Leno’s ‘Tonight Show’ Exit: Carefully Orchestrated Do-Over

Much of the night’s festivities were kept from Leno. He was surprised by a taped segment in which celebs were asked what they thought Jay should do next. Kevin Bacon suggested he take up painting, showing his own latest effort, which was a full-body nud3 of Jay — a nod to the time former President George W. Bush was a recently guest of Leno’s surprised him with a portrait that he’d painted.

“I was once the host of a late night show myself,” Bob Costas reminisced, noting he too had been replaced by someone younger – “that no talent Greg Kinnear.”

“You have to learn to deal with it –hello Doctor!” Costas said, taking a swig out of a large bottle of Jack Daniels. “You’re gonna be fine,” Costas reassured.

“You made a lot of jokes about me over the years – I’m not upset,” said President Obama, announcing his appointment of Leno as “my new ambassador to Antarctica. Hope you’ve got a coat funny man!”

Crystal was Leno’s guest on his very first show, on Monday, May 29, 1992. At that performance, Leno told Crystal he wanted him to be his guest on his very last show. Crystal came out tonight, with actors playing moving company guys; they tagged some props, then Crystal did a couple minutes of standup in which he described Leno as the guy who was always there for America:

When it was announced recently that America’s No. 1 terrorist had been captured, who told us it was Justin Bieber? You did.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, who told us they should rename it the Persian Gulf so Bush would send troops faster? You did.

Let me get this – you’re moving to 9 o’clock?

After the break, Crystal and some dancers in lederhosen and dirndl skirts called the Shut Your Von Trapp Singers sang the tune from The Sound of Music – NBC’s favorite musical – So Long Farewell, as one celebrity guest after another walked out on stage to take a verse:

- Jack Black: “So long farewell auf wiedersehen, goodbye. If Fallon tanks you’ll be back here next year.”

-Kim Kardashian “So long farewell, last night I told my folks. And now I won’t be butt of Leno’s jokes.

-Sheryl Crow: “So long farewell I give a little wave. But not for Jay – I want to get on Dave.”

-Jim Parsons: “So long, farewell, we’ve watch you and we’re weary. Your great success is called The Big Chin Theory.”

-Carol Burnett: “So long. Farewell. I’m here so what the hell. For your last show I’ll do The Tarzan Yell. Aiaiaiaiaia!”

-Oprah Winfrey: “So long, farewell, you really raised the bar. If you were me, you’d buy them all a car!”

”Boy this is the hard part,” Leno said, choking up, as the show wound down. “I want to thank you — the audience. You folks have been just incredibly loyal and — this is tricky. Oh,” he said, beginning to weep. “We wouldn’t be on the air without you people. Secondly, this has been the greatest 22 years of my life. “ He started to openly cry.

“I am the luckiest guy in the world. I got to meet presidents and astronauts and movie stars. It’s just been incredible.”

He thanked the crew, the writers and the producers who, he said, have made him look and sound better than he actually is.

“I’ll tell you something,” he said through tears. “The first year of this show, I lost my mom. The second year, I lost my dad. Then my brother died. After that I was pretty much out of family, and the folks here became my family. Consequently, when they went through rough times, I tried to be there for them.”

“People say to me, ‘Why didn’t you go to ABC, to Fox?’ I don’t know anybody over there. These are the only people I have ever known. I’m also proud to say, this is a union show. I have never worked with a more professional group of people in my life. They get paid good money and they do a good job.”

“I’m really excited for Jimmy Fallon,” Leno concluded. “It’s fun to be the old guy and see where the next generation takes this great institution. I’m so glad I got to be a part of it, but it really is time to go and hand it to the next guy. And, in conclusion, I want to quote Johnny Carson..”I bid you all a heartfelt good night.”

Brooks played the show out with “Friends in Low Places.”

Jay Leno's Last Episode As 'Tonight Show' Host -- Behind The Scenes

Latest Movies Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

12 comments for "Jay Leno’s Final ‘Tonight Show’ Tonight"

02-06-2014, 07:54 PMaway - #2
skillahmang 2 heat pts

d 
space
$17,067 | POWERFUL

#### that #### boy.
 02-06-2014, 10:32 PMaway - #3
VinceTran 

d 
space
$1,541 | 6075215
I'm older.. but ever since i was 13... i've been staying up til 1135 to watch the show... man been a part of my life
 02-06-2014, 10:34 PMaway - #4
SM 29020 heat pts29020

d 
space
$93,962 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by VinceTran
I'm older.. but ever since i was 13... i've been staying up til 1135 to watch the show... man been a part of my life
me too

Leno >>>
 02-07-2014, 12:02 AMaway - #5
Propel Water 5 heat pts

d 
space
$12,856 | POWERFUL
this dude really cried and got dragged off refusing to let go of the microphone
 02-07-2014, 12:48 AMaway - #6
steeLTown 106 heat pts106

d 
space
$18,100 | POWERFUL
dont really watch late night tv anymore but i grew up Leno, and Conan right after
 02-07-2014, 01:41 AMaway - #7
stogz 7 heat pts

d 
space
$25,793 | POWERFUL
... i grew up on letterman
 02-07-2014, 01:44 AMaway - #8
!!! 45 heat pts45

d 
space
$7,159 | POWERFUL
Been watching Jay for many years. I have to admit that it took me a good year and a half to start watching his Tonight Show after the whole Conan thing but the fact is that he's still the best. Job well done Jay. Fallon's got big big shoes to fill. Hope to be able to go to one of Leno's tour shows one day.
 02-07-2014, 07:19 AMaway - #9
SM 29020 heat pts29020

d 
space
$93,962 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by !!!
Been watching Jay for many years. I have to admit that it took me a good year and a half to start watching his Tonight Show after the whole Conan thing but the fact is that he's still the best. Job well done Jay. Fallon's got big big shoes to fill. Hope to be able to go to one of Leno's tour shows one day.
 02-07-2014, 07:29 AMaway - #10
SBiggady 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$1,627 | 9141256
Jay coo. But if Dave Chappell had talk show on top of bringin Chappell Show back. The Game will be on shut down. But Jay had a great run & was the one i turned to for late night for the littlebit i watched
 02-07-2014, 07:35 AMaway - #11
all3rd 331 heat pts331

d 
space
$44,187 | POWERFUL
Good riddance
 02-07-2014, 10:46 AMaway - #12
Gmengfx 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$11,027 | POWERFUL
it was kind of sad lol...im sure its hard to let go. These guys have the best jobs ever. ####, i quit a kitchen job before and got sad because i was going to miss everyone lol.

I cant imagine at a cake job for 25 years
 02-07-2014, 11:51 AMaway - #13
PotheadFocker 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$17,857 | POWERFUL
It'll always be #### this big-chinned #### for what he did to Conan. Eat multiple di#ks Jay

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Jul 24 - The Top 10 most happy and un-happy cities in America
62 comments
Image inside  She goes by Thick Yellowbone
133 comments
Destiny - Titan, Hunter, or Warlock?
54 comments
 Image(s) inside My Moms Sent Me This Text, Yall Folks Do This Sh-t?
New reply 11 minutes ago - 100 comments - by Affliction
 NBA Seattle & Louisville To Both Get New Nba Teams
New reply 53 minutes ago - 88 comments - by JohnDoe
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 36 minutes ago - 214 comments - by tokinjohn
 BOX Teddy Atlas ''it Makes Me Sick! Lara Won That Fight!''...
New reply 1 hour ago - 161 comments - by Rich Simmons
 Image(s) inside Dr Dre Yacht Life With Xzibit
New reply 41 minutes ago - 85 comments - by WizDoM
 Article inside Drake Calls Himself & J. Cole The "only Two K...
New reply 2 hours ago - 173 comments - by justinjones
 Image(s) inside Damn Medium Sean That Bi-ch Broke Up With You 3 Months...
New reply 43 minutes ago - 114 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Image(s) inside Rick Ross Is Out Here Losin Weight.. Part 2
New reply 2 hours ago - 92 comments - by MusicVideos

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.