Django Unchained Review: Pros and Cons

Django Unchained Review: Pros and Cons
 12-26-2012, 10:19 AMonline - #41
dman 4901 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,606 | 15699206
Originally Posted by Patrick Galooly
It would've taken balls to put the word kike in inglorious basterds 100 + times. Going at blacks is easy work everybody will just call them sensitive. Tarentino knows which envelops to push and which ones to stay away from.
real talk

Originally Posted by Mr Kush
Huh?

Why would the word "kike" an American term that originated in America for jewish immigrants, be used in Germany during World War 2? That doesn't make sense to me. That's just historically inaccurate

Last edited by dman 4901; 12-26-2012 at 10:21 AM..
 12-26-2012, 10:20 AMaway - #42
Nu Tymez 8 heat pts

d 
space
$4,109 | 12351812
It would've taken balls to put the word kike in inglorious basterds 100 + times. Going at blacks is easy work everybody will just call them sensitive. Tarentino knows which envelops to push and which ones to stay away from.
Ummm... It also probably would have been historically inaccurate... I don't think people in 1940s in Germany and France were going around calling Jews "Kikes"... But I believe the word "******" was thrown around quite a lot in the south in the 1850s...
 12-26-2012, 10:22 AMaway - #43
Mr Kush 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$1,965 | POWERFUL
I'm sure the Germans had their slurs for Jewish people, point is he stayed the !! away from using them. Like I said Tarentino knows who to !! with and who to stay away from.
Actually, one of the most important points of Hitler's anti-semetic brainwashing amongst the German people was turning the word "Jew" into a derogatory term. Much like "Gay" and "Homo" have been turned into homophobic terms in the US.

Stop reaching bro. Reach for a history book instead mane.
 12-26-2012, 10:25 AMonline - #44
Patrick Galooly 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,498 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Nu Tymez
Ummm... It also probably would have been historically inaccurate... I don't think people in 1940s in Germany and France were going around calling Jews "Kikes"... But I believe the word "******" was thrown around quite a lot in the south in the 1850s...
I addressed this. He could've used the German equivalent for the word but he didn't. What was the worst thing to happen to a jew in basterds? Get called a jewish dog? He didn't show anybody getting gassed or anybody getting thrown in an oven. Tarentino doesn't have balls. He just knows that black people have no power in Hollywood. Who's going to say something besides Spike Lee?
 12-26-2012, 10:26 AMonline - #45

d 
space
$4,498 | POWERFUL
Actually, one of the most important points of Hitler's anti-semetic brainwashing amongst the German people was turning the word "Jew" into a derogatory term. Much like "Gay" and "Homo" have been turned into homophobic terms in the US.

Stop reaching bro. Reach for a history book instead mane.
We're talking historical accuracy in a movie where Hitler was gunned down with a machine gun? Which one of us is reaching?
 12-26-2012, 10:28 AMaway - #46
Mr Kush 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$1,965 | POWERFUL
We're talking historical accuracy in a movie where Hitler was gunned down with a machine gun? Which one of us is reaching?

I think the accuracy of culture can still be important in a historical fiction movie. You brought up Inglorious basterds first dude, you're point just didn't work out too well

So let me get this... Your complaint is that Django is too authentically representative of the culture of America during the Civil War era?
 12-26-2012, 10:32 AMonline - #47
dman 4901 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,606 | 15699206
I addressed this. He could've used the German equivalent for the word but he didn't. What was the worst thing to happen to a jew in basterds? Get called a jewish dog? He didn't show anybody getting gassed or anybody getting thrown in an oven. Tarentino doesn't have balls. He just knows that black people have no power in Hollywood. Who's going to say something besides Spike Lee?
real talk i didnt see IG bastards but if this is true then somebodys got some explaining to do
 12-26-2012, 10:34 AMaway - #48
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
I went with my black friends and they enjoyed it greatly

I'm Spanish and I thought they did a great job showing how retarded and unintelligent inbred white hicks were back then. He also did a great job authentically depicted the brutality of slavery and other issues blacks had to deal with in the civil war era. He also did a great job showing how much farther along Europeans were culturally (and still are). As a history buff I loved this movie, Tarantino had some serious balls to depict slavery and the old south as authentically as he did.

Yall can piggy back Spike or just listen to whatever your cousins say and !! like that but as a movie fan I have no clue how you can pass up on a movie of the year candidate in fear of getting offended

If he doesnt depict it brutally enough he gets flack, if it's too brutal he gets flack Let the oscars do the talking
Look man, when I get back to NC I'ma probably go see the !!. Never said the movie "looks a$s" or anything of that nature. And I for damn sure aint offended by no movies. Im more so a little vexed that muthafuhkin 2012 we cant get a black director to do a film about these type of things and get the same "excitement and praise" as a white guy?
THE TWILIGHT ZONE THEME - YouTube
 12-26-2012, 10:34 AMonline - #49

d 
space
$4,498 | POWERFUL

I think the accuracy of culture can still be important in a historical fiction movie. You brought up Inglorious basterds first dude, you're point just didn't work out too well

So let me get this... Your complaint is that Django is too authentically representative of the culture of America during the Civil War era?
No I'm saying he didn't take it nearly as far with inglorious basterds because he knows not to !! with jews. That's why the worst thing to happen to jews in inglorious basterds is being called a jewish dog. Whereas in django blacks are ripped apart and b0mbarded with racial slurs. Tarentino knows 100+ jewish racial slurs= last movie I'll ever make. Whereas 100+ black racial slurs = I'll need a bag to carry all the awards they're going to give me.
 12-26-2012, 10:35 AMaway - #50
Chest Rockwell 

d 
space
$1,361 | 5496972
only problem with this movie is the ridiculousness of the shooting seen at candies plantation
 12-26-2012, 10:40 AMaway - #51
Soda Pop 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,243 | 15807057
The movie was dope there are some underlying things in it and I need to see it again. Here's my take possible spoiler alerts!

The good: The !! was 2:45min and I loved every !!ing bit of it. The movie kept my attention from the first forest scene to the final explosion. I was looking for technique like in most QT films but he hit hard with the story. I mean this was one of the best films I've seen in a bit. Sam k!lls it too, I mean he played the best house nicca on the planet, you just want to see him get his a$s hand to him but he's too funny to let go. This man is one of my favorite actors and he proved to me why he is the man. Leo was brilliant I really could see why hes getting his props for this role, when he confronts Doc and Django he really had me uncomfortable and I knew what was going to happen. Jamie had the swag of today, so that's where the fantasy comes in. He was not carrying it like a slave by the time he was a full fledged bounty hunter, which was apart of his characters growth. I hate to be that dude but I did try to sneak a peek at Kerry's !! when they pulled her out the hot box. This again was a great film, I absolutely hate westerns and I loved this movie. I plan on seeing it again to further break it down. Cant say enough about Sam! You can't do it but he deserves an award for his role.

The Bad: The only things that bugged me was the lack of foot accents Leo was pretty good and the closest to a true southerner, Don Johnson is in line with him but that's kinda it. Jamie had his normal swag and Sam was Sam, QT does show up sporting a !!ty Aussie accent but It wasn't major. The scene that bothered me was Jamie trying to get back to Candyland he sounded like he was in the huddle in Any Given Sunday. Some of the k!lling was over the top and unbelievable but it a Tarantino movie. Overall not much bad to say.

The Ugly: My experience was not bad I had specific needs while I watched this. I planned to get there early to get my seats which is very last row and dead center. Got my tickets 2hrs early and came back. Got in the theater was packed mad white folk, and I'm like damn lol. There was a white family In "my seats" but there was a seat on either side of them. I asked them if would mind sliding down and they did. Nice I have my seat next to cool a$s redneck Bob who a thanked a few times for moving and giving me what I consider the best seats. That out the way movie starts and yeah there were a few chuckles from the couple in front of me who I couldn't tell if they were white or black. Dude next to me didn't seem to laugh unless I did first and I felt bad because he paid his ticket and should laugh as he saw fit. I laughed my a$s off Sam Jackson was !!ing funny point blank. The use of the nword
Didn't stick out to me like I thought it would, and it was the butt of Many of the jokes in the film. There was the interaction between Jamie and Sam's characters that I picked up on. When Steven comes out the house asking "who is this nicca on this nag?" He pretty much is put in his place by Candy and told he should hate Django. This to me speaks to now blacks usually hate on other successful blacks even if neither are running the show and the lack of black unity was pointed out. Other then that not much else hit me with hidden !! but I want to watch it again.

Bottom line go see it the movie is sick and Sam Jackson alone is worth the price of admission.
 12-26-2012, 10:44 AMaway - #52
Mr Kush 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$1,965 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ManWithoutFear!
Look man, when I get back to NC I'ma probably go see the !!. Never said the movie "looks a$s" or anything of that nature. And I for damn sure aint offended by no movies. Im more so a little vexed that muthafuhkin 2012 we cant get a black director to do a film about these type of things and get the same "excitement and praise" as a white guy?
Maybe if there was a black director with the fame, resume, and star power of Tarantino with the ability to get great actors like Quentin can you'd have a point. But there isn't.

No I'm saying he didn't take it nearly as far with inglorious basterds because he knows not to !! with jews. That's why the worst thing to happen to jews in inglorious basterds is being called a jewish dog. Whereas in django blacks are ripped apart and b0mbarded with racial slurs. Tarentino knows 100+ jewish racial slurs= last movie I'll ever make. Whereas 100+ black racial slurs = I'll need a bag to carry all the awards they're going to give me.
Are you forgetting about the opening scene where Nazi's open fire on a innocent family of Jews? Inglorious basterds has little to do with Jews. It is about the k!lling of Nazi's. All of World War 2 was not simply "JEWS, JEWS, JEWS" like so many believe. You should read up on it.

While on the other hand Django has very much to do about the plight of Blacks during the slavery era of the US.
 12-26-2012, 10:46 AMaway - #53
rashcobar 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,819 | POWERFUL
My cousin said a few "older" black couples peeled out like midway through. My cousin isnt one of them scholastic a$s niccas though so he didnt have this "in depth" analysis of the flik & his experience seein the !! when I talked to him last night. He basically said he might have liked it more if there werent so many white folk in there. Said the !! blew his high.
Can't seem to delete my comment.

Last edited by rashcobar; 12-26-2012 at 12:36 PM..
 12-26-2012, 10:47 AMaway - #54

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Maybe if there was a black director with the fame, resume, and star power of Tarantino with the ability to get great actors like Quentin can you'd have a point. But there isn't.
Why you think it's like that?
 12-26-2012, 10:48 AMonline - #55

d 
space
$4,498 | POWERFUL

Are you forgetting about the opening scene where Nazi's open fire on a innocent family of Jews? Inglorious basterds has little to do with Jews. It is about the k!lling of Nazi's. All of World War 2 was not simply "JEWS, JEWS, JEWS" like so many believe. You should read up on it.

While on the other hand Django has very much to do about the plight of Blacks during the slavery era of the US.
The movie is about a Jewish unit.
 12-26-2012, 10:48 AMaway - #56
rashcobar 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,819 | POWERFUL
 12-26-2012, 10:51 AMonline - #57
dman 4901 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,606 | 15699206

theres great black directors out there stop fronting
 12-26-2012, 10:51 AMaway - #58
Soda Pop 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,243 | 15807057
Huh?

Why would the word "kike" an American term that originated in America for jewish immigrants, be used in Germany during World War 2? That doesn't make sense to me. That's just historically inaccurate
The movie wasnt historically accurate period. There's no writer on the planet who has the balls to put Kike, Heb, or any other Jew crew slur in there film. Both movies were period fantasy so there's no reason other then fear that we shoul not have heard kike 100 times. Like homie said Tarantino knows what he can get away with and what he can't. If Spike Lee did a WW2 fantasy the same way and had kike in it 5 time there would be outrage from Hollyweird.
 12-26-2012, 10:52 AMaway - #59

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rashcobar
And that's funny to you. This is a blog so do your thing but something about you is coming across overly pro- Tarrintino to me. You seem warlike and disrespectful to people who didn't like the film or don't like the idea of the film which to me makes me think that you aren't being as objective as you think you are.
Umm...

12-26-2012, 10:53 AMaway - #60
Mr Kush 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$1,965 | POWERFUL
Why you think it's like that?
Because socio-economically blacks (and other minorities) are at a disadvantage in America and oftentimes do not have the same access as aspiring white directors to secondary education, career networking, and other opportunities.

Yet in spite of all of that, Tarantino is a superior director to any black director. Maybe in 10-15 years when there are more qualified black directors one of them will take a shot at covering slavery in a feature-length film.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The TV and Movie Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
92 comments
Worst movie endings
53 comments
If they rebooted "White Men Can't Jump"
63 comments
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 3 minutes ago - 222 comments - by JordanWest86
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 58 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside Lupita Nyong'o Named People Magazine's 'most Beautiful'
New reply 3 minutes ago - 73 comments - by SM
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 9 minutes ago - 98 comments - by bridouble
 Video inside [chi Wire] The School System
New reply 3 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Stillhyphy
 Image(s) inside Verizon Aint Playin O O
New reply 10 minutes ago - 68 comments - by ATLDOPEBOI18
 Video inside Rita Ora At The Breakfast Club: Jayz, Rihanna Clone, R...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 90 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Video inside Dr. Dre Or Pharrell??
New reply 15 minutes ago - 80 comments - by AngOmusic93

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,648 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.