This is BX @ Boxden.com

Shoe Maintenance and Care Thread

Shoe Maintenance and Care Thread
topic by Kalon - 02-08-2011, 05:27 PM - Boxden > Kicks @ BX (Sneakers & Clothing)

I thought we could have an official thread. Banga will probably have the most knowledge.

I had a SMALL amount of dye on my CG's...even after pre washing the jeans...got it off easily with soap and water though. No rocks or dirt in or on the sole..used old sharp tweezers to get rid of the rocks and then a toothbrush, water, and soap on the sole.

No longer have the paper in the box, it's gone i tossed it. I will keep you guys up to date on the condition of my CG's and other shoes here.

CG 11 wears: One. Owned since 2/5/2011.

Mods can you sticky?

[np - ronnie]

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

86 comments for "Shoe Maintenance and Care Thread"

02-08-2011, 06:16 PMonline - #2
B SQUEEZE 

d 
space
$1,766 | 7237330
dont laugh but i use carpet cleaner on my shoes most of the time, i got some steam cleaner solution and mixed it with water and put it in a spray bottle... soft bristle brush, white rag....
 02-08-2011, 06:24 PMaway - #3
eLLz 1 heat pts

d 
space
$18,563 | POWERFUL
What y'all ni##as use to clean suede and nubuck? Talking legit stains not #### like fl suede cleaner can take out that's just for touchups

Heard of soft soap and even dish soap but just the suds. Carpet cleaner sounds interesting.
 02-08-2011, 06:40 PMaway - #4
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$32,234 | POWERFUL
truth be told, the cleaners that u can buy like at footlocker/champs/etc along with a various a$sortment of shoe brushes and toothbrushes work just fine for me honestly....but there are a few shoes that I have that I can't get rid of a stain does any know if that Jason markk kit actually works or is it a waste of money.....

also does sea glow really work for clear soles or is it too much of a hastle?
 02-08-2011, 06:53 PMaway - #5
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,047 | POWERFUL
From what I have read sea glow does work but you have to be very very careful and follow instructions explicitly.

I've heard conflicting advice about keeping clear soled or all white shoes in ziplock bags.
 02-09-2011, 12:28 AMaway - #6
Niruggg 137 heat pts137

d 
space
$12,142 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by eLLz
What y'all ni##as use to clean suede and nubuck? Talking legit stains not #### like fl suede cleaner can take out that's just for touchups

Heard of soft soap and even dish soap but just the suds. Carpet cleaner sounds interesting.
steel wool type brush and alcohol for suede
 02-09-2011, 12:52 AMaway - #7
RAZAH CUTS 2467 heat pts2467

d 
space
$39,882 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by eLLz

try the Kiwi suede cleaner...it's cheap and you can find it at most supermarkets but it's dope on suede and nubuck...

as far as gettin the really crazy stains outta ya suede and nubuck I got one trick that I use that works out okay...shampoo...yup...i use a lil' tiny bit mixed with water and apply it to problem areas on my Timbs and it gets em' lookin proper again....it's all about brushing out that nap after you clean tho...don't saturate the material with whatever you decide to use...thin layers and rigorous brushing...

mostly i use the Kiwi cleaner tho....
 02-09-2011, 03:55 PMaway - #8
Game375 42 heat pts42

d 
space
$11,431 | POWERFUL
post links and pics of cleaning products everyone will be asking
 02-09-2011, 04:02 PMaway - #9
eLLz 1 heat pts

d 
space
$18,563 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by RAZAH CUTS
try the Kiwi suede cleaner...it's cheap and you can find it at most supermarkets but it's dope on suede and nubuck...

as far as gettin the really crazy stains outta ya suede and nubuck I got one trick that I use that works out okay...shampoo...yup...i use a lil' tiny bit mixed with water and apply it to problem areas on my Timbs and it gets em' lookin proper again....it's all about brushing out that nap after you clean tho...don't saturate the material with whatever you decide to use...thin layers and rigorous brushing...

mostly i use the Kiwi cleaner tho....
Cool, Ima be on the lookout for the Kiwi, g'looks

what do yall do as far as storage? Been thinking about using ziplocks on my ####s but Ive read conflicting opinions on that.
 02-09-2011, 10:40 PMaway - #10
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,047 | POWERFUL
I have to cop some silica gel packs b...the ziplocks im scared to do that myself as well.

EDIT: copped 10 packets for $4.80... don't have a lot of shoes to use with these so I didn't OD.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034054YK/ref=ox_ya_os_product
you can never lose with Amazon...free two day shipping using Amazon Prime.

Being a student= Win.

Last edited by Kalon; 02-09-2011 at 10:47 PM..
 02-09-2011, 10:50 PMaway - #11
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,047 | POWERFUL
I also want to add that the dude I copped my CG 11's from had em since release day...so thats one wear plus 6 weeks of regular DS storage. No yellowing.
 02-09-2011, 11:14 PMaway - #12
FATE 

d 
space
$223 | 1088891
only thing you will ever need to cleaner any sneaker no matter if its suede jason markk sneaker cleaner:

google it if you dont believe
 02-09-2011, 11:29 PMaway - #13
NYGallday 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,591 | 10047909
Footlocker shoe cleaner...a sponge..toothbrush... bounty paper towel

thats mainly to clean the bottom of the sneakers though..

but the footlocker cleaner u can use any where on the shoes oh and use the cap of the cleaner to helps clean #### off too
 02-10-2011, 10:31 AMaway - #14
StoopidVillinz 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$2,954 | 13624303
as a kid i use to use toothpaste on my kicks..now a days i still do but i onli use a little dab mixed n water..is that ok??
 02-12-2011, 02:04 PMaway - #15
Mc PushA 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$2,282 | POWERFUL
Air Jordan I
85-94 editions with white nylon tongues
-use the mesh cleaning method. If it’s yellowed, there’s not much you can do about it as of right now.
2003 Patent edition
-refer to the patent leather cleaning section
Midsoles and soles can be cleaned with basic cleaning.

Air Jordan II
2004 Retro
-refrain from using Magic Eraser on the plastic parts because it can scratch the surface. Also refrain from using it on the colored midsole part.

Air Jordan III
2001-2003 Retro
-if the white midsole looks faded or has stubborn dirt stains that won’t come off, it’s possible that the factory paint has faded. That means your only option is to just strip it all off with rubbing alcohol and repaint or just simply leave it alone.
-Nubuck Elephant Print gets dirty. Just clean it with a nubuck/suede eraser.
-once the heel tab goes yellow it’s permanent unless you want to paint it.
-the grey sole starts to get dark. No solution as of right now.

Air Jordan IV
-midsole issue similar to III’s.
-grey sole problem similar to III’s.
2004 White/Green
-netting yellows. Only option is to carefully paint over it.

Air Jordan V
-Clear soles/plastic netting: only answer is Sea Glow at the moment.
-3M Scotch Lite material is dirty. First off determine whether it's "scuffed" or "dirty." I've noticed many people asking this question since the Retro 5's were released again. The safest way to go is to clean it with a nubuck/suede eraser or a damp clean white towel. This should wipe off any residue that might be on the material, however it might not clean off any bad stains.

Air Jordan VI
-Clear soles: only answer is Sea Glow at the moment.

Air Jordan VII
-black/red (or citrus) toe is faded or grayish. That’s because the nubuck material is supposed to give off a “charcoal” effect. It’s not supposed to entirely be black.
Avoid contact with water and foam nubuck/suede cleaners to begin with. It seems that this particular material on AJ VII's seem to be sensitive to cleaners. So avoid getting that part of the shoe dirty. If you have to clean it, use a dry brush.

Air Jordan VIII
-plastic panels yellow. Can’t do anything about it.
-soles yellow. Sandpaper if you want, but it will yellow again.
-straps frayed. You can trim off any loose frays.

Air Jordan IX
-midsole paint cracks. Can’t really do anything about it other than to prep and repaint it. Chances are the paint won’t hold up very long after so many wears.
-soles yellow.

Air Jordan X
-Squeeking. So far baby powder under the insole works. Puncturing the Air Sole is quite an unintelligent thing to do to an “Air” Jordan. Doing so k!lls the purpose of the shoe being called "Air" Jordan.

Air Jordan XI
Let me differentiate. Many people jump to using Bar Keeper’s Friend to solve a simple dirt stain. Keep in mind BFK ruins the luster of the nylon mesh and gives it a pasty flat dull look.
-nylon mesh is dirty. Clean it with the mesh cleaning method.
-nylon mesh is yellowed. You have the option of using Bar Keeper’s Friend, but use it at your own discretion. That stuff is toxic.
-yellowed lace loops. This you can pretty much fix with Bar Keeper’s Friend without much worry. Just make sure to cover up any exposed areas with a dry white towel to prevent any accidental BFK overflow.
-yellowed clear soles: only answer is Sea Glow at the moment.

Air Jordan XII
-yellowed white soles. You can use sandpaper or leave it alone. Sandpaper exposes rubber from underneath the yellowing, which will yellow after a while anyway.

Air Jordan XIII
-dirty pods: You can use basic cleaning or a magic eraser.
-yellowed pods: Can’t really do anything. You can lightly paint over it but the paint probably won’t hold up that long.
-clouded hologram: Hair Dryer. However be aware that prolonged exposure to heat can cause the foil to dent up. Also the hologram will cloud up again in a couple of weeks.

Air Jordan XIV
-“teeth” parts creased. Honestly you can’t really do anything about that.
-faded suede toe

Air Jordan XV

Air Jordan XVI
-creased patent leather. Another thing you can’t do anything about.

Air Jordan XVII
-the clear part of the midsoles get scuffed up. You can use Rubbing Alcohol or Nail Polish Remover and lightly go over the scuffs.

Air Jordan XVIII
Lows
-leather is creased. Well what can I say is the leather is much softer than most so it’ll probably end up looking worn a hundred times after just wearing it a few times.
All
-when I wear them they squeak. That's usually due to the insole or sockliner being loose. However, what I did was fold a paper towel in half lengthwise and stuck it under the insole. The squeaking was drastically reduced to almost no sound.

Air Jordan XIX
-to prevent the spandex material in the back from fraying, just simply use you fingers to stretch out the material, cover it with your fingers while you safely guide the strap in to minimize fraying.

Air Jordan XX
Mids
-my Velcro strap doesn't stick well anymore. Clean the Velcro with a dry brush. Otherwise you can purchase Velcro that can be cut to any size and stick them on top of the existing one to keep the straps in place when worn.

Air Jordan XXI
-possible yellowing on white soles.

Air Jordan XXII
-clear sole.

Air Jordan XXIII
-

** info from dalyte1**
 02-12-2011, 04:28 PMaway - #16
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,047 | POWERFUL
I want to add that these hypebeast nyggas need to realize whether you wear shoes or not they will age and break down. So wear your shyt! I have yet to wear any of the 3s I have only cause it likes to randomly rain. When summer hits I'll be wearing/rotating all my shoes.
 02-13-2011, 04:07 PMonline - #17
B SQUEEZE 

d 
space
$1,766 | 7237330
question: if you ziploc your shoes, should you put the silica packs in the bag with the shoes or just in the box? i dont want to dry them out and make em crack when i wear em.... thanks guys
 02-28-2011, 05:47 PMaway - #18
bigmike363544 

d 
space
$270 | 748482
Originally Posted by StoopidVillinz
as a kid i use to use toothpaste on my kicks..now a days i still do but i onli use a little dab mixed n water..is that ok??

i usedto toothpaste on my ups when i was locked up...but only cause it was the only thinkg to use...but when ur done cleaning if u dont clean off the toothpaste good enough they will turn yellow fast
 03-11-2011, 11:09 AMaway - #19
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,047 | POWERFUL
i wore my cements 3s...no cracking the only part that got dirty was the sole...couldn't clean it as good as the CG's...finna throw the white laces in the CG's next time i wear them (with shorts of course).
 05-01-2011, 08:24 PMaway - #20
ibcpirate 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$1,373 | 10287652
toothpaste works good, and cleaning dirt & jean stains, use mr. clean magic eraser. #### works real well..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Kicks @ BX (Sneakers & Clothing)

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL Bills center Eric Wood says NFL teams are avoiding signi..
68 comments
NFL Alex Smith got paid
54 comments
NFL Rams will NOT add Michael Sam to practice squad
72 comments
 Article inside Drake Signs Ilovemakonnen To Ovo
New reply 6 seconds ago - 129 comments - by PotheadFocker
  Aug 31 - Breaking: Celebrity Nude Leak
New reply 52 minutes ago - 371 comments - by AlienGod
 Image(s) inside Apparently Dude "tried" To Snatch Quavo (mig...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 187 comments - by Just Jimmy
 Image(s) inside Saw This Sh-t On The News Today...i Went To High Schoo...
New reply 1 hour ago - 67 comments - by bunnz17
  Whats The Worst Movie You've Ever Watched?
New reply 4 minutes ago - 140 comments - by DominationCM
 Video inside This Just In: Hitman Holla Was In A Bad Car Accident
New reply 1 hour ago - 60 comments - by Guvnor
 Article inside Floyd Mayweather Sr: 50 Cent Should Fight My Son, That...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 224 comments - by yo0123yo
 NFL Rank The Qbs In Your Teams Division
New reply 2 hours ago - 58 comments - by TalonPayne921

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.