This is BX @ Boxden.com


Racist Brands


New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

 Racist Brands
 05-23-2010, 06:06 PMaway - #21
LBoogie2122 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$5,224 | POWERFUL
waaat? gucci's been cool with us black folk since the 80's, u think gucci doesnt kno about gucci mane? they let him rock cause its good promotion louis v makes clothes now inspired by us

the ones that said racist #### was

Girbaud himself (and he was n@sty about it too he said the jeans werent meant to be worn like ur culture wears them he said its ridiculous and even mocked us with all that yo yo bull####)

Tommy Hilfiger himself basically said the same but in a nicer way, Lauren Hill famously ####s on him in a video clip around the time it happened

burberry basically said that us wearing their clothes is like the office joke, especially when all them gucci and burberry print custom outfits were super hot
 05-24-2010, 01:53 AMaway - #22
drama_kiNg 53 heat pts53

  d 
space
$11,611 | POWERFUL
#### man.. if i was Gucci and seen this Gucci Mane character runnin around, i'd be pissed
 05-24-2010, 02:09 AMaway - #23
Metalzoa 

  d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zo1987
I mean, I know Louis Vuitton is cool, and so are any Jewish owned clothing brands such as Polo, American Eagle, Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole. They have models from different races wear their stuff. I mean whens the last time u saw a black model in a Dolce and Gabanna or Armani ad? Its one thing to have a target audience where the majority of models are one race and have a few different races but when u have one race modeling the same clothing brand it sends red flags. I mean no brand is going to come out and say "I don't want this race wearing my clothes" but they can use the passive aggressive approach by not having a specific race model their clothes.

edit: preciate the pics menaceAbn
Son you can find racism anywhere if you look hard enough. The fact of the matter is that these companies have a target demographic and focus their efforts to cater to them. If others like it and support them, thats icing on the cake. That was not their objective to begin with so it makes no sense for them to go out of their way to cater to a market they did not set out to infiltrate.
 05-24-2010, 05:23 AMaway - #24
Super-C 25 heat pts25

  d 
space
$2,322 | 18933435
people look too much into ####


but since we wanna start a topic, im sure there are plenty of "black" brands not too happy about the white devil
 05-24-2010, 07:42 AMaway - #25
Mercury 

  d 
space
$1,722 | 10161921
I never knew the owner of Girbuad was racist. Its kinda silly because their gear ended up becoming the most urban-ish gear out there.
 05-24-2010, 09:02 AMaway - #26
specialk103185 61 heat pts61

  d 
space
$6,555 | POWERFUL
This is silly. Louis Vuitton is probably one of the top brands that collaborates with African Americans

Pharrell Williams Designed the LV Millionaire sunglasses
Kanye West has a Shoe LV shoe line (LV Dons, LV Jaspers)

Tommy Hilfiger has plenty of ads with black folks in them but more than anything, he's had Tommy Girl--one of which was Aaliyah...Beyonce also had her first perfume w/ Tommy Hilfiger before she switched to ARMANI

If you go to the Tommy Hilfiger website right now, there is a black model on the front page

As for Polo...The most famous black Polo model of them all is Tyson Beckford




I say all of this to say that this racism in the fashion industry stuff is BS. The designers have a target demographic based on who they have catered the brand to. Sadly, HIGH fashion is not typically catering towards african Americans BECAUSE we don't spend the most money in their stores. we make up less than 15% of the US population and most of us do not spend the kind of money that is generated in high fashion. Despite what you see on your favorite rapper, we are not funding the European fashion empires, lol. But they are not trying to exclude us because we are black, they are excluding anyone that can't afford it in attempt to remain exclusive.

Last edited by specialk103185; 05-24-2010 at 09:04 AM..
 05-24-2010, 09:26 AMonline - #27
crenshaw 

  d 
space
$544 | 781076
lemme just add in the 1990s tommy hilfigger ran a fit cursing out models of Filipino heritage (my peeps) that he never intended his clothes to be worn by monkeys! Fkin douche, never forgave the SOB for that sh!t.
 05-24-2010, 09:50 AMaway - #28
Mark is King 

  d 
space
$382 | 1751948
This is the dumbest ####ing post...honestly.
 05-24-2010, 10:37 AMaway - #29
Grisly 25 heat pts25

  d 
space
$6,146 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Just1Spark
ever heard of the kalvin klein kompany? i bought one of their tees and the collar shrunk so much it felt like i was being lynched.
 05-24-2010, 12:07 PMaway - #30
Zo1987 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,489 | 12416860
Originally Posted by Mark is King
This is the dumbest ####ing post...honestly.
why dont u practice safe s3x and go #### urself
 05-24-2010, 04:03 PMaway - #31
LBoogie2122 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$5,224 | POWERFUL
models on the front of a magazine doesnt say ####, the top dogs dont pick them personally they pay ppl to do that

and all im sayin is ill be DAMNED if i wear clothes bearing a mans name who thinks im a monkey, ill spend my green elsewhere :rolleyes:
 05-24-2010, 09:00 PMaway - #32
goke11429 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$11,162 | POWERFUL
Why start such a thread w/o any constructive research??
 05-25-2010, 08:54 AMaway - #33
100K 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$51 | 103
Originally Posted by JMayle
I was gonna' let the "stupid as ####" thing slide, but after I continued to read your post, I realized that I couldn't.

You have to understand, the brands we're talking about in this thread make extravagant profits; therefore, if they wanted to, they could just block out an entire group of people, and it wouldn't hurt their income. Man, every rich lil' daddy's girl in Cali has to have a new Gucci bag every month. Let's say that these bags go for $300. Which they do, at least. Let's also say that each one of these bags takes $15 to make. Which they do, at max. Using these numbers, that would mean one bag brings in $285. Like I said, a new one every month. There are twelve months in a year. That would mean $3,420 a year, just from one chick. Let's say there are five-thousand of these girls. That would mean a profit of $17,100,000 a year, from bags alone. Brands like produce all types of ####, and all of which are priced from Hell. That's major money, bro. Plus, the CEOs and higher-ups of these companies have been raking this dough in for years, they could easily retire. So, no matter what happens, can't #### affect them. Worse case scenario, the company loses all of its good rep, and is forced to shut down, and no more money would be brought in. Actually, while we're at it, let's also take into consideration that there most likely is a fair amount of racists purchasing these types of clothes. If Company X did claim they were racist, their racist customers would continue to support. Now, their amount of consumers would drop immensley, but they would still bring in some money. Maybe just enough to make a little bit, and keep going.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means trying to say that these companies are racist, because I don't have one intelligent clue. All I'm saying is that they could afford to be, the ones that we're talking about.

As aforesaid, until some company does come out and say, "Hey, we want you blacks out of our clothes!", we're just gonna' have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Or don't give them the benefit of the doubt, and not rock their ####.

Wow, Just Wow. I dont even know where to start with you.

Do you know what the words "contribution margin" mean? I suggest you research. High end materials arent manufactured in the same way a Nike product is made. Just because a bag is sold for $385 markup, doesnt mean it all goes to Gucci. The retailer is purchasing that bag for about half the price they sell its for. (Neiman Marcus, Sacks, Holt Renfrew) all have contribution margins in the 70% range. Prices are this high because of the way they market + import duties, taxes & customs etc. Governments Levy higher taxes on international products to influence retailers to sell goods manufactured locally and support the economy.
I live in Canada, the Holt Renfrew Flagship is at Yonge & Bloor, hands down the most famous & costly intersection in Canada. The rent for a location like that alone is hundreds of thousands a month, better believe that will reflect in the retail costs. These stores also carry the same goods that use many black models such as Ralph Lauren and D&G, list goes on.

Also, do you guys realize that these brands are wholly owned by Large Luxury goods holding companies, which also own dozens of other brands that cater to all demographics. For instance, Lous Vuitton is owned my LVMH(Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesy), which obviously owns and distributes liquors which cateur to blacks-(Hennesy). LVMH also owns Tag Heuer- whos main spokesperson is a minority (Tiger Woods), Hublot Watches-Jhas added Usain Bolt from jamaica is now their newest partner. Also Owns DKNY, the list goes on.

Please do your research before you speak on things. As a poster above said "have you heard of target marketing". just because a brand doesnt feature many blacks in their ads, you automatically a$sume their racists. So basically, every rapper influenced clothing line is racist then, beacuse I don't remember seeing any white guys in those FUBU ad's from the 90's and early 00's.

People really need to stop thinking so one dimensionally. Im sure at one point Levi's advertisements had no black people in them. Should minorities stop going out to but Levi's now?

Last edited by 100K; 05-25-2010 at 09:03 AM..
 05-25-2010, 04:10 PMaway - #34
Metalzoa 

  d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by goke11429
Why start such a thread w/o any constructive research??
Thats Zo1987. And then he will catch feelings too when you correct him.
 05-25-2010, 04:21 PMaway - #35
Metalzoa 

  d 
space
$15,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by JMayle
With some of this, you're right. The fact that the retailers also have to make their share totally slipped my mind. Please parden my ignorance in this aspect.

But, regaurdless of pointing out what appeared to be my lack of understanding, I don't find you correct. In other words, I don't think you're one-hundred percent spot-on with what you're saying. I don't know if you mean for your post to come off as expressing so, but your post says to me that you think that by the time all "middle men", per say, are cut their respective pieces of the pie, Gucci isn't raking in a spectacular sum. If this is, in fact, what you're trying to say, I'm going to have to prove your post's say as a falacy. About your Gucci / Nike comparison, well...I simply don't agree. Since Gucci and Nike don't both manufacture bags, which have been the product at hand 'til this point, I'm forced to use the following product example: You cannot tell me that you believe a Gucci t-shirt to be of better quality than a Nike t-shirt. A few years back, I purchased a Gucci crewneck tee. Do you know how much I paid for it?? $85. The tee was receipt paper thin, and had the durability of a cotton ball. Now, let me oppose this to the many Nike tees I've owned: All of my Nike tees have been of good to great quality, and weren't flimsy at all. Now, I'm going to insinuate that your arguement against what I've just said is going to be one of statement that Gucci is using softer, more expensive materials in their tees. My reply to this would be one of calling un-true. Both tees were mostly cotton, each with some other material mixed in; respectively. I can't recall that that was in the mixture of the Gucci tee, or that that was in the mixture of the Nike tee. We'll just call the other material in the Gucci tee "Material X", and we'll call the material in the Nike tee "Material Y". I'll give you the acceptance that Material X is more expensive than Material Y. Like I said, the Gucci tee cost me $85. The Nike tee cost me $20. But do you mean to tell me that Material X is $65 more expensive than Material Y?? Let me also beat you to the punch that Gucci and Nike are distributed differently; because they are not. Yes, they are sold at different types of retailers, but both with the same kind of marketing. One could actually argue that Nike is more marketed and more popular than Gucci. So how do you explain the Gucci prices, now??

What I'm trying to disprove is (what I suppose is) your theory that Gucci really isn't making that much money. Gucci is making a k!lling, as is Nike. Yet Nike doesn't jack their prices to the Heavens. And, no, I'm not inferring that Nike doesn't jack their prices up.

This post here, along with the top bit of your post, has driven this thread out of context. Therefore, don't hold your breath for a reply from me toward this issue. It's apparent that we have varying opinions. I'm just trying to shed some additional light on my side.
Stop typing .. you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Your efforts to clarify your point only shows how little you see and know. Put the keyboard aside and get in touch with real life.

If you still want to stay indoors to learn then consider this:

- Companies do not have the same profit margin on similar products. Your Material X and Y example is stupid for that reason. A BRAND sells more than just "clothes". They sell an image. The logo on your clothes will change how people look at you, believe it or not. Try wearing new balance to the clubs and wear gucci shoes and see what happens. According to your logic, since they are both shoes and their materials will cost similar amounts then gucci should not cost that much more than new balance.

- High end fashion houses pay out way more in advertising and maintaining brand equity. (renting in high end locations, hiring high end staff, purchasing high end packaging for their products and paying high end models to model or endorse their brand, just as an example)
Nike can afford to put a store in damn near every mall, yet you don't expect to see a Ferragamo or D&G location in every mall. Most D&G stores pay their staff more than what an average Nike store pays in rent in the mall, just as an example.
 05-25-2010, 05:49 PMaway - #36
Zo1987 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,489 | 12416860
I don't know why people keep bringing up LVMH, Polo and Calvin Klein. No duh they arent racist, they have black models and ####. If I thought that they were racist I would have had them on my list of racist brands. How many black people have u seen in a D&G ad honestly?
 
New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > Kicks @ BX (Sneakers & Clothing)
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Aug 22 - Pimpstagram: Sex Trafficker Left Photo Trail
55 comments
Image inside  Aug 22 - Sixth-Grade Teacher Charged With Rape Of 13-..
74 comments
NFL 2ND Annual BXSC NFL Pick Em Challenge Week 1 Picks!!!!!
164 comments
 NFL Nfl Rookie Mike Evans -- Insane Nightclub Brawl ... Th...
New reply 1 minute ago - 161 comments - by Dray
 NBA *godly* Kobe Hits 6 Game Winners In 1 Season 2009-2010...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 75 comments - by lefthookright
 Video inside The Breakfast Club Ethers Floyd Mayweather As He Strug...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 425 comments - by MajorD
 BOX New Floyd Mayweather Gifs!
New reply 23 minutes ago - 106 comments - by PotheadFocker
  But Wait, There's More! Sprint Unveils New $60 Unlimit...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 111 comments - by Jago
 Image(s) inside Biggie’s Son Denies He’s Gay, Hints That He "gets...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 104 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside Soulja Boy Message To Gillie Da Kid "knock You Ou...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 92 comments - by akverse47
 Image(s) inside Cute Freckles.. Thim Slick Yalla Badd Bi-ch Alyssa Mar...
New reply 32 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Muunsta

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.