Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Scientists Discover a Powerful Antibiotic in the Blood Stream of Pandas

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
82 viewing
 Article inside What we heard vs What Quentin Miller said.
27 comments
most viewed right now
60 viewing
Nicki Minaj 'dumps Meek Mill following Drake feud...but the rapper will contin..
132 comments

top in section
49 viewing
 Video inside T-Pain: "Jay Z Has Used Ghostwriters . . . "
top in hiphop
top in section
11 viewing
 Jul 31 - Millennials Are Finding Jobs, Stress, Residual Debt Are Keeping Them ..
top in news

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Scientists Discover a Powerful Antibiotic in the Blood Stream of Pandas
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #1
2993 pageviews
64 comments

jbooda03 30 heat pts30 space
space
$242 | 13846954

[pic - click to view]

Never in a million years would we have guessed that panda bears, the very same creatures that tumble down slides and make us lose all sense of personal dignity over their irresistible cuteness, could hold the very key to mankind’s survival within their own bodies — or at least a handy new antibiotic. It may sound like the trite plot of the next Kung Fu Panda flick — we can only pray that doesn’t actually happen — but, we a.ssure you friends, this is legitimate science. Dr. Xiuwen Yan of China’s Life Sciences College of Nanjing Agricultural University discovered that pandas naturally produce a potent antibiotic in their bloodstream that can wipe out various forms of bacteria and fungi. Scientists are eager to analyze and fully understand this panda antibiotic, hoping that it will be instrumental in the f!ght against resilient new breed of superbugs that are hard to f!ght with current drugs.

The antibiotic in question is called cathelicidin-AM, produced by the panda’s immune cells that travel throughout its bloodstream. When tested, the antimicrobial compound was recorded as eliminating bacteria with an hour of being administered. Other antibiotics, non-panda in origin, used in the experiment were noted as taking up to six hours or more.

The discovery of cathelicidin-AM comes even as China’s panda population continues to dwindle, the situation growing worse with each passing day. Despite diligent efforts made to propagate the species, the deforestation of the panda’s bamboo forest habitats and its poor breeding habits have left it on the precipice of extinction. Fortunately, diminishing panda populations will not impact Dr. Yan’s discovery since scientists can artificially synthesize the panda-produced antibiotic through gene decoding, creating a small molecule known as a peptide.

Dr. Yan and his a.ssociates look to turn the antibiotic into either a drug for humans or a powerful antiseptic that can be used as a cleaner for surfaces and utensils, but those uses are probably still a while off. The new research may just convince some conservation groups that pandas are indeed worth saving, as recent frustrations over tedious breeding programs and such has led some to see pandas as a species that simply isn’t worth saving. That’s great news, because if there’s one future that we want, it’s one where every man, woman, and child has a clean bill of health, and we’re able to enjoy watching videos of baby pandas on rocking horses for generations to come.

Pandas Produce Powerful Antibiotc in Their Bloodstream | Geekosystem
Props given to jbooda03 hot topic  (01-01-2013)

64 comments for "Scientists Discover a Powerful Antibiotic in the Blood Stream of Pandas"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #2
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
Poison... Fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs is all the meds we need.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #3
Universal~Mind 56 heat pts56 space
Come2Conquer
space
$11,752 | POWERFUL
I love the way these arrogant c*cksuckers throw around they're perceived thoughts of what another species' existance is worth... SMFH

Just once id'e like to see our own species at this kind of risk so these as*holes could have the coin flipped.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #4
jbooda03 30 heat pts30 space
space
$242 | 13846954
Universal~Mind said:
I love the way these arrogant c*cksuckers throw around they're perceived thoughts of what another species' existance is worth... SMFH

Just once id'e like to see our own species at this kind of risk so these as*holes could have the coin flipped.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #5
360crazy 7 heat pts space
space
$2,418 | 0
Universal~Mind said:

Please explain. I'm so lost. They found Pandas carry a useful antibiotic. What did these "as*holes" do wrong?
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #6
Intellectual  space
My Helicines Are Engorged
space
$391 | 1985430
Southwick said:
Universal~Mind said:

Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #7
ReppinDaBurghh 54 heat pts54 space
space
$46,970 | POWERFUL
Southwick said:
As somebody who is currently just getting over the Flu, I will gladly tell you to go fu*k yourself. If not for medicine these past several days would have been even more MISERABLE then they already were for me.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #8
Intellectual  space
space
$391 | 1985430
ReppinDaBurghh said:
As somebody who is currently just getting over the Flu, I will gladly tell you to go fu*k yourself. If not for medicine these past several days would have been even more MISERABLE then they already were for me.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #9
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
ReppinDaBurghh said:
Mindless drone.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #10
Intellectual  space
space
$391 | 1985430
Southwick said:
Mindless drone.
Elaborate. How will nuts, fruits, and herbs help with any strain of influenza (lets focus on viruses for now)

Zinc (in nuts) is the only component that may potentially reduce the longevity of the virus by blocking receptors that the influenza virus binds to.

That's all.

Edit: And of course vitamin C can be beneficial.

Last edited by Intellectual; 01-01-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #11
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
Intellectual said:
Elaborate. How will nuts, fruits, and herbs help with any strain of influenza (lets focus on viruses for now)

Zinc (in nuts) is the only component that may potentially reduce the longevity of the virus by blocking receptors that the influenza virus binds to.

That's all.

Edit: And of course vitamin C can be beneficial.
Easy. By boosting the immune system. Meds(legal drugs) only suppress symptoms. Dries mucus, etc. It never heals or rids your body of anything. Antibiotics are some of the worse drugs you can take. Antibiotics are that which pertains to being against life. Anti means against. Bio means life. The ic suffix means of or pertaining to. If drugs are bad, then why would you take them? God says heal from the earth. Not to take drugs. Just my stance. Yall can keep consuming your legal drugs.

You say vitamin C can be beneficial, yet you're saying fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs aren't. How does that make sense? Cat's claw is one herb that helps boost the immune system.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #12
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
Its funny. You'll take something that has a million other side effects. Or drugs that create other problems. My son took an antibiotic. That same antibiotic caused yeast. They prescribed him another antibiotic to rid him of the yeast. Its all a game. I didn't give me the antibiotics. I changed his diet and he got better on his own. Yall people better wake up. All they are doing is keeping people sick to keep generating money. Government, the food industry, health industry, etc. They all work together. Its a dirty game ha ha. Yall better learn to start healing thy self.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #13
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
They don't want us to sell drugs, but doctors are legal drug dealers ha ha. They can't make any money off us selling drugs in the street so its illegal.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #14
Retro 82 heat pts82 space
#NightCall
space
$20,495 | POWERFUL
Southwick said:
Easy. By boosting the immune system. Meds(legal drugs) only suppress symptoms. Dries mucus, etc. It never heals or rids your body of anything. Antibiotics are some of the worse drugs you can take. Antibiotics are that which pertains to being against life. Anti means against. Bio means life. The ic suffix means of or pertaining to. If drugs are bad, then why would you take them? God says heal from the earth. Not to take drugs. Just my stance. Yall can keep consuming your legal drugs.

You say vitamin C can be beneficial, yet you're saying fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs aren't. How does that make sense? Cat's claw is one herb that helps boost the immune system.

[video - click to view]

Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #15
Southwick  space
RBG
space
$2,016 | 16271198
Retro said:
Sending props your way as well. Couldn't figure out which you were looking for.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #16
NiteTerroz 125 heat pts125 space
space
$2,008 | POWERFUL
No money in the cure, the money is in the medicine and treatment. fu*k THESE GREEDY CORPORATIONS!!

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by NiteTerroz; 01-01-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #17
Retro 82 heat pts82 space
#NightCall
space
$20,495 | POWERFUL
Southwick said:
Sending props your way as well. Couldn't figure out which you were looking for.
Wasn't looking for any approval with that post, I was just genuinely amused by your lack of understanding modern medicine. Getting caught up in the semantics doesn't help you, it only further solidifies that you have no clue what you're talking about.

That, and the fact that you talk about what "God" says to do completely ignoring the fact that he gave us the competence manufacture medicine in the first place -- if he didn't want us to we wouldn't be able to. Then to top it all of you have the nerve to call someone else a "mindless drone." You're one hilarious dude...
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #18
Intellectual  space
space
$391 | 1985430
Southwick said:

You are simply generalizing and placing all meds in one category. We can do the same for nuts, herbs and all the sh*t you mentioned. However, I said said, Zinc (in some nuts) blocks receptors to reduce the longevity of the illness.

You say "it never heals or rids your body of anything", but neither do your herbs etc.

These herbs, even Green Tea, contain 1000 of compounds which scientists have not even isolated yet. You don't know what you're drinking.

The medications on the other hand are all isolated compounds that we KNOW the mechanisms that proceed once consumed.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - on now - #19
Arson 82 heat pts82 space
sh*t Skressful Bruh
space
$32,064 | POWERFUL

[video - click to view]

let nature run its course bruh. All these antibodies are just keeping mufu*kas that should be dead on the planet.

Last edited by Arson; 01-01-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '09 - away - #20
Braz 80 heat pts80 space
What's a king to a Braz
space
$15,344 | POWERFUL
NiteTerroz said:
No money in the cure, the money is in the medicine and treatment. fu*k THESE GREEDY CORPORATIONS!!

[pic - click to view]

Agreed, eating healthier will go a long way in preventing diseases

Dark fruits and leafy greens are extremely high in antioxidants

Home > all sections > The BX Gym

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
60 viewing
Real or fake? The undertaker sues meek mill
154 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
29 viewing
Meek Mill - Wanna Know (Lyrics)
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
20 viewing
Celebrities react to Meek Mill's Wanna Know
318 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Article inside Apparently Erykah Badu Is Not About That Life Says Azelia Banks
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
7 viewing
OT Ronda Rousey to the haters
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
5 viewing
Image inside Word Is Drake Got Pissed On By Tip's Homie At The Movie Theater, Say I..
339 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
5 viewing
Meek went head up with prime Reed Dollaz, He can handle Drake
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
4 viewing
Audio inside Meek Mill - Wanna Know (Drake Diss) Explained Bar For Bar
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
4 viewing
Video inside thugger holyfield??? young thug sparring session for his upcoming jail ..
83 comments
@hiphop

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time