This is BX @ Boxden.com

Is it a good idea to do any kind of cardio if I'm trying to get big???

Is it a good idea to do any kind of cardio if I'm trying to get big???
topic by EsePincheAzteca - 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM - Boxden > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

I'm 5'7 170lbs. I'm trying to gain muscle, i want to get big, :sick: but i heard that it's a bad idea to do any cardio if you're trying to build muscle...now my dilema is this, i have man b00bs and i want to get rid of them in the worst way and get some muscle's going...should i do some cardio to help with my man b00bs and still lift or should i start gaining muscle and then worry about losing the fat?...

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Is it a good idea to do any kind of cardio if I'm trying to get big???"

10-27-2005, 08:41 AM - #2
30 1 3rd D 

d 
space
$n/a |
Originally Posted by EsePincheAzteca
I'm 5'7 170lbs. I'm trying to gain muscle, i want to get big, :sick: but i heard that it's a bad idea to do any cardio if you're trying to build muscle...now my dilema is this, i have man b00bs and i want to get rid of them in the worst way and get some muscle's going...should i do some cardio to help with my man b00bs and still lift or should i start gaining muscle and then worry about losing the fat?...
my old weightlifting coach said he was in the best weightroom shape of his life, muscles packed onto his frame, but he couldnt run across the gym.

theres a difference between being ripped and being in shape. a fine line.

do cardio once a week AT LEAST, just to keep yourself in check. you should really do it 3 times a week at a moderate pace if youre looking to gain weight. just eat big.
 10-28-2005, 06:24 PMonline - #3
jordan21 

d 
space
$1,103 | 5806818
I am not trying to lose any weight at all but I still do cardio around 4 times a week...usually 3 miles. I don't know if it hurts your muscle building or not but since I added cardio to my weightlifting I FEEL much better. Plus it makes my abs still out more

This is how my weightlifting and cardio schedule goes..

Day 1: Chest, Cardio
Day 2: Back, Cardio
Day 3: Shoulders, Cardio
Day 4: Rest (I'm at school all day)
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Arms, Light Cardio (same distance, slower pace..usually my legs are not 100% the day after a leg workout, but it helps loosen everything up for me)
Day 7: Rest, cardio optional

as for abs I do 5 times a week.. 3 times on the weighted machine at the gym.. 2 times 8 min abs at home

I'm not an expert or anything. That is just what works for me.

Last edited by jordan21; 10-28-2005 at 06:26 PM..
 10-28-2005, 08:53 PMaway - #4
menacel 

d 
space
$1,659 | 12527006
i'm not sure either...i heard it deteriorates(sp?) your muscles...i just got done doin a season of cross country..and all my max's went down..but then again i havent been in the weight room for 5 months lol
 10-29-2005, 03:13 PMaway - #5
jonjon 

d 
space
$114 | 12
it all depends on what type of cardio your doing??? just running or interval carido training?
 10-29-2005, 03:34 PMaway - #6
couplewords 

d 
space
$1,074 | 0
nope...running is only for competition or people who like it....lifting weights with short intervals is enough to keep your heart rate up enough
 10-29-2005, 06:36 PM - #7
EsePincheAzteca 

d 
space
$n/a |
i do the treadmill and this machine that has handles that look like ski handles...i do the ski one first and after i lift, i hop on the treadmill...i don't go crazy on either...just pace myself on it for a good 1/2 hour, work up a sweat...

thanks to everyone who replied...
 10-29-2005, 08:02 PMaway - #8
redruM_ 

d 
space
$1,422 | 3101573
Originally Posted by EsePincheAzteca
The best option really is dat u lose the fat first, then bulk up... It's hard to do both at once (lose weight/gain muscle) cos both of them have totally different nutritional requirements. I'm not saying it can't be done.. pro body builders use the zig-zag method to do this, but it's hard and it will take a while if ur not 100% committed. So yeh.. if u wanna get rid of ur man b00bs then go hard on cardio and do minimal weights. Focus more on reps to try and maintain your muscle while you're losing your weight...

Last edited by redruM_; 10-29-2005 at 08:04 PM..
 10-29-2005, 09:06 PM - #9
kawj7 

d 
space
$n/a |
From my training I have found that doing cardio AFTER weight training didn't hurt my muscle gains. Doing cardio before lifting I was kinda tired to finish my workout with enough intensity like I wanted to. Check around on under training. It should help you out.
 10-30-2005, 08:35 AMaway - #10
KillaJay 

d 
space
$794 | 2428965
Alright pump up on the food, get a lot of calories but no saturated fats, drink milk and Oj,water is a must also. and if you do cardio for getting muscles youll be good when you want to have more endurance while lifting, you need endurance to lift more to surpass limits. so yeah do cardio, cardio like sprints, something to make your heart pound out of your chest(interval training).

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
74 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
74 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
94 comments
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 36 seconds ago - 202 comments - by SpazzOut
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 199 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 1 minute ago - 94 comments - by The Bully
 Image(s) inside Lil Durk's Baby Mama Is A Freak
New reply 18 minutes ago - 95 comments - by Turk3
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 89 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Why This Old Nigga Was Stoppin Sh-t Like He Was Goku?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 53 comments - by HeatMafia410
 NBA Reddit User Digs Up Old Tweets From Players
New reply 5 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Wardell Curry II
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 104 comments - by QB Eagles

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.