This is BX @ Boxden.com

How long does it take for muscles to grow?

How long does it take for muscles to grow?
topic by biggz - 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM - Boxden > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

I am 5'9 and like 180 - 185 lbs and I am wondering how long does it take for muscles to grow visibly.

I am a beginner at lifting weights but I have a membership to a gym and I go there Tuesdays - Fridays for about 2 hours each day.

Anyways, for you weight lifters out there, how long does it take for the muscles to grow where you can see them?

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "How long does it take for muscles to grow?"

07-04-2008, 01:48 PMaway - #2

d 
space
$5,901 | 8446172
in the beginning...a noticeable amount grows quick. then after a few months for most people, you slow down ALOT. you gotta work a lot harder after that..

don't believe the bull#### about "grow 10 lb of muscle in a month!"....maybe if your a beginner it's possible but after that, don't be surprised if you only gain 12 lb of muscle a year
 07-04-2008, 04:17 PMaway - #3
biggz 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,485 | 4910516
3 sets, 10 - 12 reps on everything......Lat Pull Down, Barbell Press, Bench Press, Leg Press, Incline Bench Press, Triceps Press then I finish off with cardio.

I mostly eat tuna fish sandwiches with wheat bread as part of my diet and for breakfast, if i have time, I will eat a bowl of healthy cereal with 2% reduced fat milk.

I guess I will need to eat more food with lots of protein in it to help grow muscles too?
 07-04-2008, 04:44 PMaway - #4
Dat Nucka|m 

d 
space
$1,953 | 7860286
Yes, it all depends.

...BUT; THEY'RE ARE SOME THINGS THAT CAN SPEED IT UP A LITTLE BIT, LIKE PROPER REST & THE RIGHT PROTEIN INTAKE.
 07-04-2008, 06:02 PMaway - #5
ZanY 

d 
space
$338 | 323481
Originally Posted by biggz
3 sets, 10 - 12 reps on everything......Lat Pull Down, Barbell Press, Bench Press, Leg Press, Incline Bench Press, Triceps Press then I finish off with cardio.

I mostly eat tuna fish sandwiches with wheat bread as part of my diet and for breakfast, if i have time, I will eat a bowl of healthy cereal with 2% reduced fat milk.

I guess I will need to eat more food with lots of protein in it to help grow muscles too?

Hey dood, there's no guessing about it my friend, you will HAVE to eat alot of Protein for your muscles to grow. The recommended amount of daily protein is at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, therefore if you weigh 185 pounds, you need to be eating minimum 185 grams of protein a day.

Just eat my friend and you will get big. Eat and train and you will see results. And like most people have said rest is the key, try to work the big bodyparts once a week allowing enough time to recover, and try to work 1 bodypart each time you go. I see your working chest, back and legs each time you go which is counter-productive. I mean you will see results but VERY slowly.
 07-05-2008, 10:01 AMaway - #6
Ex[Hale] 

d 
space
$646 | 2289283
Originally Posted by stacks050
what muscles do you workout on what days ? since your a beginner you only need to workout a muscle group once a week.

and you mos def need to add squats, deadlifts (i prefer stiff leg) and pull ups to ur routines. they're the best overall mass and strength gainers.

tuna is good, i eat a can of albacore on arnolds double protein bread for lunch everyday.

you should also be gettin in atleast 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and eating enough calories. your body weight x 20 = will give you how many calories you should eat per day. add 500 if you dont gain in the first week... i eat 6 or 7 meals spaced throughout the day but if thats too hard for you you can cop a weightgainer which is basically a 600 cali meal with 50 grams of protein.
Body weight X 20 may be a little too much. If you dont gain weight from that (mostly fat) sumthin is wrong tho. I thought the rule of thumb was 12-15 X bodyweight + 500 calories for bulk/-500 for cut
 07-07-2008, 01:36 AMaway - #7
tRuMeX 

d 
space
$86 | 269522
whats a really good source of protein i try to get a good intake of it in a day
 07-07-2008, 02:51 AMaway - #8
jsda1 

d 
space
$409 | 1115810
Get it from the experts yo.

07-07-2008, 01:44 PMaway - #9
tommymm96 2 heat pts

d 
space
$7,422 | POWERFUL
Everybody is different....eat clean and often..if you wanna speed up mass-building, consume 2gs of protein per lb of bodyweight. After a few months, consider supplementation like creatine, some bcaa's, etc....
 07-07-2008, 03:59 PMaway - #10
ZanY 

d 
space
$338 | 323481
Originally Posted by tRuMeX
whats a really good source of protein i try to get a good intake of it in a day
Well the purest form of protein known to man is egg whites, It's just PURE protein, no fat, no carbs, no cholestral. But don't be afraid to eat whole eggs as they're an excellent source of nutrients. Tuna is an excellent form of protein aswell and very accessible.
 07-10-2008, 02:45 PMaway - #11
biggz 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,485 | 4910516
If this helps, I use to be really fat during my child hood years and I didnt start losing large amount of weight until after my last year of high school. I was pushing atleast 300 lbs my last year of high school (class of 05.)

It is 2008 now and I am down to the 180 -190 mark and I still have body fat on my arms and I still have a belly but it isnt too big, no more big t#tties. I am in the process of toning my arms and stomach up, thats why I go to the gym like 4 days out of the week now.

All tips and help are appreciated, I am tired of seeing my triceps loose and flappy. Biceps can use some improvement too.
 07-15-2008, 08:40 AMaway - #12
theonlyfake 

d 
space
$181 | 356506
Originally Posted by biggz

dont skip break fast and id drink 1% or skim or soy..

PROTEIN SHAKES TOOOOOO
 07-15-2008, 03:29 PMaway - #13
biggz 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,485 | 4910516
bump for eliminating flabby arms tips
 07-15-2008, 03:35 PMaway - #14
CuZzA 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$4,216 | 20067530
Work your muscles to build the muscle tissue.

Do cardio to get rid of the fat.
 07-15-2008, 04:15 PMaway - #15
filleezcustoms 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,492 | 8539533
Originally Posted by ZanY
Well the purest form of protein known to man is egg whites, It's just PURE protein, no fat, no carbs, no cholestral. But don't be afraid to eat whole eggs as they're an excellent source of nutrients. Tuna is an excellent form of protein aswell and very accessible.
everyone grows differently. it took me 8 months using a gainer to get 30lbs this past winter but i have new info for everyone!!!!!!!!!

actually AMINO ACIDS are the purest form of protien

since protein is made of 20 different amino acids, add some twin labs liquid

aminos to your routine and your body will be able to synthesize the protein you eat into aminos a lot easier which saves your kidneys, and liver a lot of work, and they go directly into the blood to build muscle as soon as they hit your stomach.

(go read the interview with mike mentzer in the new muscle mag to learn of his 2 heart attacks and 2 triple bypass surgeries form all the plaque in his veins from excessive protein and meats)

and its really 1g per kg of weight
ur weight x .45 = your weight in kg
you will just poop out the rest of the protein because your body cant use it

P.S. i have seen some monster vegetarians (230lbs ripped) who's only source of protein is from amino acids

this is new info everything everyone else said is correct also but its the

traditional approach, not the scientific one. science has made amazing new

findings about nutrition and 1g of protein per bodyweight is too much. but if you want expensive poop, go for it!

AMINO FYI:
Amino acids are the basic structural building units of proteins. They form short polymer chains called peptides or longer chains called either polypeptides or proteins. The process of such formation from an mRNA template is known as translation, which is part of protein biosynthesis. Twenty amino acids are encoded by the standard genetic code and are called proteinogenic or standard amino acids. Other amino acids contained in proteins are usually formed by post-translational modification, which is modification after translation in protein synthesis. These modifications are often essential for the function or regulation of a protein; for example, the carboxylation of glutamate allows for better binding of calcium cations, and the hydroxylation of proline is critical for maintaining connective tissues and responding to oxygen starvation. Such modifications can also determine the localization of the protein, e.g., the addition of long hydrophobic groups can cause a protein to bind to a phospholipid membrane.

manipulate the right aminos to acheave amazing results.......

i had a lack of middle pectoralis and i used a lot of glutamine to fill it in..... because glutamine is the amino acid that builds the muscle where it connects
to bone....like the middle of your chest...hmmmmmmm. i added more (extra 50g a day) and it filled in very quickly and all of the connective tissues are stronger.

science is fun

Last edited by filleezcustoms; 07-15-2008 at 04:25 PM..
 07-18-2008, 07:28 AMaway - #16
Lil Killa Cam 

d 
space
$117 | 467877
^^^
What are a some of the "amino acid brands"? What do the prices be lookin like and how long does it last? But the jist of what your sayin is, that amino acids allow protein to be absorbed better right?
 07-18-2008, 03:14 PMaway - #17
biggz 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,485 | 4910516
I want to lose the fat around the arms......I can see the fat moving when I stand straight with my arms out.

I thought I could lose that by lifting weights, turning it into muscle.
 07-18-2008, 08:14 PMaway - #18
freshwala 

d 
space
$847 | 3026707
are your weights a big challenge or are you pushing easy weights? lol

i see alot of newbies just pushing babies for the sake of it, u might be doing this, if so, its not gonna do u much good.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Nov 20 - AP releases video of Bill Cosby demanding in..
62 comments
Image inside  Nov 20 - Obama ready to announce sweeping plans on im..
68 comments
Video inside  Bill Cosby Begging AP On Camera Not To Air Full Exchan..
88 comments
 Image(s) inside Gunplay Issue With Timbaland?
New reply 1 minute ago - 107 comments - by GroveBoy740
 BOX Lmao Pacquiao Sends Shots At Floyd On New Footlocker C...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 71 comments - by Boston617
 Image(s) inside Nov 20 - #thanksmichelleobama: Photos Show ‘mystery Mu...
New reply 1 minute ago - 68 comments - by KFrizzle
  First Rap Song You Fkked A Bihh Too
New reply 7 minutes ago - 85 comments - by FRESCO THE 13TH
 Article inside Red Dead Redemption Ps4/xbone March 2015!
New reply 2 minutes ago - 71 comments - by DavidAames729
 NFL Bills-jets Game Will Be Moved.
New reply 8 minutes ago - 53 comments - by Bkjj11
 OT Michael Phelps' Girlfriend, 41, Admits She Was Born A ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 341 comments - by MGz
 NFL Chris Cooley: Rg3 Was So Bad, I Can’t Assess The Rest ...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 99 comments - by Clyde

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,856 fans of BX | none new today 4,807 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.