b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Home Gym or Pay for a membership

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

join bx

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Home Gym or Pay for a membership
topic by Tonero - 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Im a few weeks away from finishing my degree. I wont get to use free gym facilities so i want to buy some equipment at home.

I was thinking of getting a bench press with four 45 plates to starts(My current upper limit)

Other than dumbbells, what other equipment will be good for the crib?

27 comments for "Home Gym or Pay for a membership"

12-02-2012, 09:24 PMaway - #2
nightmare 420 heat pts420

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
a pull up bar

#### honestly, all u really need is the bench, some dumbbells and the rest can be calisthenics and you would be beasting off of that
 12-04-2012, 05:57 AMaway - #3
ThaLockerRoom 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$1,273 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by nightmare
a pull up bar

#### honestly, all u really need is the bench, some dumbbells and the rest can be calisthenics and you would be beasting off of that
 12-04-2012, 01:12 PMonline - #4
richardgil 1 heat pts

d 
space
$758 | 2735231
 12-04-2012, 01:23 PMaway - #5
MyStYlEaRt 

d 
space
$3,192 | 7627758
Do a gym bro. For most people you need that motivation so I'd go with a gym. I too first got a home gym and thought I'd be motivated enough to use it. Probably used it 3 times in the past 5 years. Thing I like about the gym is you pay monthly so that alone motivates my cheap a$s. Plus you can ask others for advice about working out. The girls at the gym usually serve as motivation also.
 12-04-2012, 01:39 PMaway - #6
Tonero 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,900 | 6438625
Originally Posted by MyStYlEaRt
Do a gym bro. For most people you need that motivation so I'd go with a gym. I too first got a home gym and thought I'd be motivated enough to use it. Probably used it 3 times in the past 5 years. Thing I like about the gym is you pay monthly so that alone motivates my cheap a$s. Plus you can ask others for advice about working out. The girls at the gym usually serve as motivation also.
Hmm going to the gym is barely motivational for me. Especially since i started reaching my upper limits.

Im really planning on the home gym so i can do some weights every morning or every other morning isntead of going hard at the gym once every week.

I will still goto a public gym tho. To play soccer or some ball and swim.
 12-04-2012, 01:41 PMaway - #7
Tonero 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,900 | 6438625
Originally Posted by richardgil
Dayum that machine looks ill. But i wont have alot of room once i move to my apartment or basement so no chance. Shipping will be a #### too
 12-04-2012, 03:39 PMonline - #8
lboog1423 206 heat pts206

d 
space
$19,748 | POWERFUL
avy check

who dat
 12-04-2012, 04:01 PMaway - #9
kounterfit21 

d 
space
$473 | 2836605
a pull up bar

and a squat rack too (or squat rack with a built in pull up bar), if it's in your budget
 12-04-2012, 05:45 PMaway - #10
realgunta 677 heat pts677

d 
space
$14,409 | POWERFUL
for me i say home gym.

i have a flat bench and a pair of bowflex selectech dumbells and its basically allows me to do everything i need at home

***if you lose motivation quick......a home gym is not for u and i suggest u go to an actual gym. Also its farr cheaper in the end to own a home gym , opposed to having to pay for gym memberships over n over
 12-04-2012, 10:23 PMaway - #11
Tonero 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,900 | 6438625
Originally Posted by lboog1423
avy check

who dat
Thats my gurl bra. Yea she fine, really stubborn too.
 12-05-2012, 02:13 PMaway - #12
Player 1 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$20,561 | POWERFUL
Gym

you can meet some hot females
 12-06-2012, 04:00 PMaway - #13
Duntaz 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$4,626 | POWERFUL
I perfer home, no wait time, more concentration. You can listen to what you want without having to put in headphones. I bought a crossbow off craiglist for $30 bucks. Dude sold it cause he needed room to have a wedding in his backyard. Which is pretty much a bowflex knockoff. I took the rods off and turn it into a cable pully i just put weights on it then put a clamp on at the bottom to hold them. I do tricep cable pulldowns cable flys, lat pressdowns & pulldowns on it & everything. I like to put my st@bilizer muscles to work with free weights also as opposed to machines. Just get a rack & a self-spotting bench and your good to go.
 12-06-2012, 04:45 PMaway - #14

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by kounterfit21
and a squat rack too (or squat rack with a built in pull up bar), if it's in your budget

if not he can still do bodyweight squats and dumbbell squats

me personally, i prefer the gym just to get out and theres more variety of equipment, but if i couldnt, id just do dips, pull ups and pushups, with some dumbbells and some ab work
 12-06-2012, 04:50 PMaway - #15

d 
space
$12,844 | POWERFUL

but you gotta have alot of space for that
 12-06-2012, 05:58 PMaway - #16
Duntaz 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$4,626 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by realgunta
for me i say home gym.

i have a flat bench and a pair of bowflex selectech dumbells and its basically allows me to do everything i need at home

I think selecttech only goes up to like 55lbs or so per dumbbell. I recommend powerblocks instead you can get upto 175lb per hand if you wanted to. Although they're both expensive as ####. But the thing about buying your own equipment is that once you buy it its yours & you will always have something when you cant make it to or choose not to go to the gym. You also have ironmasters which look more like traditional dumbbells.

but you gotta have alot of space for that
if you live in a house or a decent size apartment with a dinning room area which most ni##az never use you can put it there

Last edited by Duntaz; 12-06-2012 at 06:07 PM..
 12-09-2012, 03:25 PMaway - #17
head first 

d 
space
$1,982 | 2704644
Home Gyms are not bad at all, you save a lot of money and if you dont want to deal with the sweaty a$s crowd or whatever at public gyms. But if you want to grow it would be difficult unless you go hard with calisthenics and some weights that are really heavy. A pull bar can do a whole lot.

Gym memberships are pricey, but you can progress more faster with heavier weights and have more workouts in your routine or whatnot with the various machines provided. Also you can socialize with people and learn a lot from others as far as diet and different routines are concerned. I Heard Planet fitness was good but some of the rules i saw were outrageous like "no grunting" or whatever lol wtf?, might as well stay home and do my own #### lol.

Its up to you.

Last edited by head first; 12-09-2012 at 03:39 PM..
 12-09-2012, 03:32 PMaway - #18
realgunta 677 heat pts677

d 
space
$14,409 | POWERFUL
^^^the selectech dumbells that i have go up to 90 pounds

there are 2 versions of it.

the SelectTech 552: this versions goes from 5 pounds - 52.5 pounds
and the SelectTech 1090: this versions goes from 10 pounds - 90 pounds
 12-09-2012, 05:56 PMaway - #19
Taste Maker 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$3,322 | POWERFUL
this thing is perfect
 12-10-2012, 11:46 PMaway - #20
JugernoT 

d 
space
$1,301 | 2706225
I've tried both and love them both for different reasons.

Obviously my home gym saves me money and time (I don't need to wait for a pair of dumbbells or a bench press spot to open up ect..). I am also not the type that needs motivation when it comes to weight training or cardio. I have a bench that allows me to do squats (although I think I will switch to a power rack soon. I am getting worried that my bench will collapse with the weight I am putting on), legs curs, leg extensions and preacher curls. I have dumbbells and plenty of weights to go to 100+ pounds, and a pull up bar. All I need is a dip machine and I am set (another reason to get a power rack).

I only went to the gym because one of my good friends was paying for it and wanted me to train him. It was a good experience to be around people who are pushing towards the same goals you are. You can talk to people and learn new things about nutrition, form and supplements. Also, there are some fine girls which is always a plus.

Bottom line is if you need the extra motivation than go with a gym membership. If not then a home gym is the way to go.

What's Quentin Tarantino's best film in your opinion
74 comments
NBA Adrian Wojnarowski Kings and Nets discussing Deron Willi..
59 comments
NBA Lakers TV viewership down 28% this year
67 comments
 NFL Espn Has To Do Something.
New reply 23 seconds ago - 68 comments - by The Boat
  Man Quotes 50 Cent Lyrics After Shooting Two Nypd Offi...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 139 comments - by A.Dot789
 Video inside Nyc Streets React To Bobby Shmurda & Gs9 Arrest
New reply 1 minute ago - 68 comments - by GiftOfGod
 Image(s) inside "i Guess Ya'll Can't Breathe Either"-the Gam...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 237 comments - by Bkjj11
 Image(s) inside Azealia Banks On Culture
New reply 2 minutes ago - 96 comments - by ralph lauren
 Video inside Dec 20 - They Just Shot 2 Cops In Brooklyn By Topmkins
New reply 14 minutes ago - 849 comments - by cheenz
 Article inside Bobby Shmurda Facing A Total Of 71 Years In Prison
New reply 2 minutes ago - 138 comments - by sdot216
 BOX Roy Jones Jr. Dissing Floyd
New reply 22 minutes ago - 224 comments - by elferoz

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,903 fans of BX | none new today 4,847 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.