b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

getting in football shape

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

join bx

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 getting in football shape
topic by RareAir - 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM

What's up bx, I have a couple of questions about working out so I can try out to play football in college. Can I lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time. I've heard so many answers for this one so I don't know what to belive. I am also planning to run 5 miles a day so is that going to help me lose the body weight faster along with eating properly. Another is to gain strength, do you lift heavy with low reps or heavy with a lot of reps and how can I get faster. Thanks

16 comments for "getting in football shape"

03-16-2009, 09:43 PMaway - #2
Ex[Hale] 

d 
space
$646 | 2289283
1. YOU ARE GOING TO GET LIKE 10 DIFFERENT ANSWERS AND NO CONSENSUS..I just wanted to state that foremost.

2. No one here knows your genetic makeup so no one can tell you what EXACTLY will work for YOUR body.

Yes, its possible to lose bodyfat and gain muscle. Logically, if you go on a lean bulk and add muscle (and very limited fat) you are going to lose bodyfat. That is kind of hard to achieve (maybe not too hard) w/o 1. great diet 2. great genetics 3. knowing through experimentation what works best for your body

Although, if you are a newbie to lifting you can easily gain muscle and drop bodyfat.

Running 5 miles a day..ehhh...that could be a little too much. But if you eat alot of calories above maintenance and keep your protein intake up you could get the results you want.

Your gonna get different answers on how to get stronger. Your best bet is to experiment with different methods and see what works for me. It doesnt matter if im doing low or high reps, I get stronger as long as im eating above maintenance and gaining weight.
 03-17-2009, 02:28 AMaway - #3
GrownmanJ 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$4,894 | POWERFUL
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Also, what position are you trying to play?
 03-17-2009, 06:29 AMaway - #4
StillFree28 3 heat pts

d 
space
$17,632 | POWERFUL
Does your coaching staff not put you guys on a weight lifting program ?
When played, our coaches had us in the weight room every summer spring and fall, with a workout plan already made up and everything, we even ran.
 03-17-2009, 08:32 AMaway - #5
RareAir 

d 
space
$30 | 11415
@ GrownmanJ:I'm 5'10 230 but I think that getting down to 180 would be good. I guess I'm trying to play RB/WR or corner.

@ StillFree28:The thing is that my school doesn't have a football team so I don't have a program to follow.
 03-19-2009, 12:08 AMaway - #6
crownjewelz 

d 
space
$441 | 2515134
how are you goin to play in college if you never played in high school? what film are the college coaches going to look at?
 03-19-2009, 01:33 AMaway - #7
GrownmanJ 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$4,894 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by crownjewelz
how are you goin to play in college if you never played in high school? what film are the college coaches going to look at?
I am a living example of this. I walked on my college football team and I never played in high school. As long as you come with the right measurables, you good. Bein 5'10" 230 would be best if you stuck with RB. If you can cut it down to 210, 205, you could be play safety. The question is tho, how fast are you in the 40? If you can run a 4.5, sub 4.6, you should be considered. When walk on tryouts come though, you gotta stand out like no other.

There are plenty factors weighing in on if you get scooped up. To make a long story short;

Speed: Run 50 and 60 yrd dashes. That way when you run the 40, you'll be goin full speed through the finish.

Vertical Jump: Explosive squats are good as well as a little bit of plyos.

Strength: You dont have to worry about this, but its always good to come prepared. That way, when the coaches look at you, they wont feel you need much of a foundation first.

Drills: Practice. We talkin bout practice... Work on the 3 cone drill, 20 yd shuttle, and get some bags to practice weavin in and out and double steppin.

I dont kno your background as an athlete, but what are you're measurables now?

40yd dash-
20yd shuttle-
Vertical jump-
 03-19-2009, 01:45 AMonline - #8
Greece 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,661 | 13165754
Running 5 miles a day won't get you in football shape. To play college football, the standard conditioning test is 16 - 110's with about 20-30 second rest in between. Depending on what position you play you will have to run them all under a certain time (ex: each 110 in under 18 seconds).

Check the threads on how to gain muscle while you're losing weight...
 03-19-2009, 10:39 AMaway - #9
bigbarton 

d 
space
$115 | 478160
running 5 miles a day will not do you much good for football. the average play lasts around 4-7 seconds, so you need to do HIIT or just run sprints like others have posted. also, look into getting, or building, plyometric boxes. those will a$sist in building the necessary muscles in your lower body to give you that explosion you need in football...and wr/corner would be nearly impossible to get to if you weigh 230 right now. being a safety is where it's at anyway...
 03-19-2009, 11:21 AMaway - #10
gou510 

d 
space
$646 | 1509390
What college do you go to?
 03-19-2009, 08:06 PMaway - #11
crownjewelz 

d 
space
$441 | 2515134
Originally Posted by Greece
Running 5 miles a day won't get you in football shape. To play college football, the standard conditioning test is 16 - 110's with about 20-30 second rest in between. Depending on what position you play you will have to run them all under a certain time (ex: each 110 in under 18 seconds).

Check the threads on how to gain muscle while you're losing weight...

That was the same conditioning test i did in college....except it was 45 seconds rest in between each set. WR's, RB's, DB's had to run each time under 15 seconds. LB's, FB's, TE's, DE's had to run each under 17 seconds and OL, DL, and QB's had to get it in under 18 seconds
 03-19-2009, 08:08 PMaway - #12
crownjewelz 

d 
space
$441 | 2515134
Originally Posted by bigbarton
running 5 miles a day will not do you much good for football. the average play lasts around 4-7 seconds, so you need to do HIIT or just run sprints like others have posted. also, look into getting, or building, plyometric boxes. those will a$sist in building the necessary muscles in your lower body to give you that explosion you need in football...and wr/corner would be nearly impossible to get to if you weigh 230 right now. being a safety is where it's at anyway...

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training
 03-19-2009, 09:00 PMaway - #13
Lucifer|M 3 heat pts

d 
space
$12,926 | POWERFUL
Man, I hope you can sidestep, and make some crazy cuts at that weight.

Football isn't really about endurance, its about explosive power. You better be able to squat and deadlift a #### ton, and be around the 4.5 40 yard dash, as someone mentioned.
 03-19-2009, 09:27 PMaway - #14
GrownmanJ 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$4,894 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by crownjewelz
That was the same conditioning test i did in college....except it was 45 seconds rest in between each set. WR's, RB's, DB's had to run each time under 15 seconds. LB's, FB's, TE's, DE's had to run each under 17 seconds and OL, DL, and QB's had to get it in under 18 seconds
These are called gasers. You have to run from sideline to sideline(55yds*2=110) back and forth. You get about 20-30 second rest in between. They wont put you through this at first, this in embedded in winter conditioning. Most players already on the squad be strugglin cause of drinkin and eatin skribble. The walk on tryouts is what you should focus on. Go up to the football building and ask the staff what drills and test are in the tryouts.
 03-20-2009, 01:47 AMaway - #15
omnipotent45 

d 
space
$172 | 493747
running 5 miles a day will def help. Its true plays last 6 seconds but in the
4th quarter you will see the running pay off. i play dt and og, so my work outs are a lot of squats, chest work, and deadlifts. for rb and cb our guys do a ton of footwork drills. in the weight room they do a lot of leg arm and shoulder stuff. get your speed, bench press, and squats up and you will be fine. the coaches will take care of you in off season. ohh and study the positions you want to play now. watch highlights and read as much info on routes techs and systems as you can. brains play a huge part
 03-25-2009, 11:01 AMaway - #16
KCK 

d 
space
$1,190 | 4982645
this has turned into a thread with a goldmine of information. Good look bxers! its been so long i forgot all the times for college runs and ####... bout to go hit them 110's this week!!!
 03-25-2009, 01:23 PMaway - #17
crownjewelz 

d 
space
$441 | 2515134
also running 300 yard shuttles will definetly get you in shape...start at the goal line and run to the 25 yard line and back to the goal line 6 times and try to get all in under 60 seconds at the least and repeat this 3 or 4 times with 2 minutes rest in between each set of 300 yard shuttles

Dec 17 - Breaking News: US & Cuba To Resume Diplomatic Relations
96 comments
Dec 17 - 14 year old black boy executed for murder, cleared 70 ..
70 comments
Home Alone or Home Alone 2?
59 comments
 Image(s) inside The Moment You Realized Wrestling Was Fake
New reply 2 minutes ago - 103 comments - by Sphynx
  Dec 15 - Sandy Hook Families Sue Gunmaker
New reply 6 minutes ago - 87 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 Image(s) inside Bobby Shmurda Arrested In New York;caught W/ Multiple ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 443 comments - by Carlton Black
 Image(s) inside Rate My Air Jordan 13 Restoration
New reply 27 minutes ago - 86 comments - by shadydre85
  J. Cole's Album Was Streamed 15.7 Million Times In It'...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 138 comments - by King Henry
 NBA It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Bad For The Heat
New reply 31 minutes ago - 102 comments - by JamaicanDon92
 Video inside Kendrick Lamar Debuts New Song On The Colbert Report (...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 81 comments - by Steve
 Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Report: Darren Wilson's Key Witness Lied Abou...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 96 comments - by Frasier

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,900 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,849 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.