This is BX @ Boxden.com

building my own garage gym. anything i should know?

building my own garage gym. anything i should know?
topic by Ed Bundy - 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM - Boxden > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

lately with my work schedule i dont have time for a gym...1 of my gyms is located in a very busy area and finding parking is impossible. i dont have the time or gas to be driving in circles looking for a spot just to go ####in workout, its absurd ..not to mention i gotta pay for the meter and ####...so annoying..

the other gym has a parking lot but its very expensive and far ...and those are the only 2 gyms i like

so i said #### it, i decided to clean out the garage, paint the walls, paint the floor and buy myself some equipment.

im going to buy a power rack for under $400, this way i got all my basics such as squats, bench, dead lifts, pull ups, etc. ...then an olympic bumper plater weight set for $440

will still need the following:

- 1 or 2 olympic bars (i think 2 just for convenience) ...about 80 bucks each
- a big wall mirror - about 300 bucks
- floor mats - 30 bucks
- various little things (olympic rings, kettle bell, agility ladder) 100 bucks?
- a good weight bench - 100?

thats basically it. it would come out to about $1500 total..thats my budget for this project ...the only thing i dont have is dumbbells and maybe some extra plates...if i have to crack the budget by 100 or 2, it wont k!ll me, but id prefer not to

right now the garage ceiling is held up by wooden beams...id love to take 1 out and in its place install a steel I beam instead ...this way i can hang a heavy bag from there...i dont know if thats doable though ..a wooden beam would deteriorate over time with all the friction from the chain looped through it. id really love to install the bag though and those floor based bags (the ones u fill with sand or water) are a joke.

sure its more expensive than a gym membership, but the perks are worth it to me:

- open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (even holidays lol)
- can work out with my shirt off, or even in my underwear, make stupid faces/noises
- literally a couple feet away, saves a TON of time, and a TON of gas
- no waiting in lines for equipment
- any music i want
- results will increase dramatically due to working out A LOT more frequently. never any excuses to not work out. never any bull#### interferences that k!ll my mood (like looking for parking for 30 minutes)

cons:
- no hotties to keep me motivated
- expensive
- low ceilings (8 feet) means i cant jump rope, and things like cleaning and jerking will be difficult ..when i jerk it might hit the beams

what do u think of this idea and does anybody have their own home gym? what else would i need? am i missing anything?

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

10 comments for "building my own garage gym. anything i should know?"

12-04-2012, 05:02 PMaway - #2
imthatinfamous 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$4,259 | 19311620
I once had a home gym. Had a bench and squat rack. Straight barbell routine no dumb bells, and i got strong and ####.

When it came to power cleans I would just go out side.
IN the middle of the winter...makes your feel like a bad a$s
 12-04-2012, 06:51 PMaway - #3
smoketrees 1 heat pts

d 
space
$139 | 901468
that's everything you need. don't worry about the dumbbells. you should actually invest in kettlebells instead of dumbells. they're more versatile and pretty much everything you do with dumbbells you can do with kettlebells plus you work your grip cause of the thicker handles. you can even go a step further and build a platform so you can really use those bumper plates. just something about doing snatches and clean and jerks and just dropping the bar after.
 12-04-2012, 09:27 PMaway - #4
ayaknow 

d 
space
$785 | 1136851
great idea, I got pull up bar in the garage, and bunch of free weights, in the room I got that door pull up thing works pretty good.

Ill do the home workout on days I work overtime and just makes no sense to drive 20 min to the gym.
 12-05-2012, 06:40 AMaway - #5
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
I was in a position kinda like yours, here's my thread

Anyways, unfortunately for me I bought all my #### brand new. It was by choice but at the same time I stalked Craigslist for 2 weeks looking for the appropriate equipment and not 1 power rack showed up, just a bunch of cheap a$s Gold's Gym all-in-one WalMart gym sets and incomplete Olympic and regular weight sets, which were priced entirely too high. And I wanted to get the #### done befor I said #### it and spent my money on an iPad or something so I bought it all new. As you can see my little rig doesn't take up alot of space.

My power rack

(I bought it from Amazon for $350, but I believe you can get it on Ebay for $300)
I bought this power rack, which for entry level power racks it is the most popular and best to buy due to it's 10 year warranty, its light weight (it's about 140 pounds and can be moved around your garage) and how sturdy it is. It will really last you a LONG ####ing time. You will not out grow it anytime soon.

Alternative Power Racks
However I believe this is a better deal considering you get a power rack and a LAT pulldown for about $60 more, but it wasn't available to me at the time.

My weights

I went to di#ks sporting goods and spent $200 on a brand new 300lb Olympic weight set, which I only wanted to spend maybe $120 used, but nothing showed up on Craigslist that was in reasonable price / distance or some other variable (dudes wanting way too much for their used a$s weights).

My Bench

I bought this bench, it inclines and can go to flat bench. It cost me only $70 because di#k's Sporting Goods had it 50% off online for Black Friday (I bought my #### in November last year) and it was brand new and it was a better deal than anything I found on Craigslist used (though, I found some good benches on craigslist in a reasonable price range. Like $50 for a $150 Bowflex bench)

^ It's a great bench and benches are usually a pretty expensive part of a home gym because you can't buy a cheap one otherwise you risk dying on a cheap a$s bench I highly recommend you go to Craigslist for your bench though. You will find a nice one on there for a good price.

Your mats you can buy at Walmart for $20, Gold's Gym brand, that's what I did, they have been great to me and are plenty of room for you to do dead lifts on.

I paid around $700 for my little rig shown in the picture. If I bought it all used I could of probably scored it for $400-450 max. It's in the past now and I LOVE being able to have the freedom to do what I want, when I want. It has helped me alot and when I think about what I would of most likely done with that money I'm not regretful at all.

If you can get it off Craigslist, get it. Highly recommend grabbing your bench (make sure you buy a nice one, $50-75 should get you it no problem, definitely don't go cheap on your bench it can mean life or de@th ) and get your weights off Craigslist for sure if you can. You should beable to find them if you live in a popular area. A fair price to pay for used weights is 35 cents to 50 cents max per pound. If you can get it cheaper than .35 cents a pound then it's a steal.

One thing I wish I would of gotten and will eventually in the future, are dumbbells. Dumbbell sets are expensive, a much cheaper method would be to buy the dumbbell handles and plates and make your own interchangeable ones.

^ You can find them on Craigslist alot cheaper. But that's an example of what I mean.

I would buy those and a couple of 2.5lb / 5lb / 10lb and 20lb plates for real cheap off Craigslist and make my own. But I digress, if all you want is a power rack / olympic weight set and bench like I have, you can swoop all of this up for under $500 if you shop wisely. I highly recommend buying that power rack though.

Alot of what Lee says is true. When you train at home, for me anyways, the ego and failing doesn't become a factor and I get more done that way.

Last edited by Zaosyn; 12-05-2012 at 07:26 AM..
 12-11-2012, 03:35 AMaway - #6
Ed Bundy 

d 
space
$1,570 | 7041466
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
I was in a position kinda like yours, here's my thread

Anyways, unfortunately for me I bought all my #### brand new. It was by choice but at the same time I stalked Craigslist for 2 weeks looking for the appropriate equipment and not 1 power rack showed up, just a bunch of cheap a$s Gold's Gym all-in-one WalMart gym sets and incomplete Olympic and regular weight sets, which were priced entirely too high. And I wanted to get the #### done befor I said #### it and spent my money on an iPad or something so I bought it all new. As you can see my little rig doesn't take up alot of space.

My power rack

(I bought it from Amazon for $350, but I believe you can get it on Ebay for $300)
I bought this power rack, which for entry level power racks it is the most popular and best to buy due to it's 10 year warranty, its light weight (it's about 140 pounds and can be moved around your garage) and how sturdy it is. It will really last you a LONG ####ing time. You will not out grow it anytime soon.

Alternative Power Racks
However I believe this is a better deal considering you get a power rack and a LAT pulldown for about $60 more, but it wasn't available to me at the time.

My weights

I went to di#ks sporting goods and spent $200 on a brand new 300lb Olympic weight set, which I only wanted to spend maybe $120 used, but nothing showed up on Craigslist that was in reasonable price / distance or some other variable (dudes wanting way too much for their used a$s weights).

My Bench

I bought this bench, it inclines and can go to flat bench. It cost me only $70 because di#k's Sporting Goods had it 50% off online for Black Friday (I bought my #### in November last year) and it was brand new and it was a better deal than anything I found on Craigslist used (though, I found some good benches on craigslist in a reasonable price range. Like $50 for a $150 Bowflex bench)

^ It's a great bench and benches are usually a pretty expensive part of a home gym because you can't buy a cheap one otherwise you risk dying on a cheap a$s bench I highly recommend you go to Craigslist for your bench though. You will find a nice one on there for a good price.

Your mats you can buy at Walmart for $20, Gold's Gym brand, that's what I did, they have been great to me and are plenty of room for you to do dead lifts on.

I paid around $700 for my little rig shown in the picture. If I bought it all used I could of probably scored it for $400-450 max. It's in the past now and I LOVE being able to have the freedom to do what I want, when I want. It has helped me alot and when I think about what I would of most likely done with that money I'm not regretful at all.

If you can get it off Craigslist, get it. Highly recommend grabbing your bench (make sure you buy a nice one, $50-75 should get you it no problem, definitely don't go cheap on your bench it can mean life or de@th ) and get your weights off Craigslist for sure if you can. You should beable to find them if you live in a popular area. A fair price to pay for used weights is 35 cents to 50 cents max per pound. If you can get it cheaper than .35 cents a pound then it's a steal.

One thing I wish I would of gotten and will eventually in the future, are dumbbells. Dumbbell sets are expensive, a much cheaper method would be to buy the dumbbell handles and plates and make your own interchangeable ones.

^ You can find them on Craigslist alot cheaper. But that's an example of what I mean.

I would buy those and a couple of 2.5lb / 5lb / 10lb and 20lb plates for real cheap off Craigslist and make my own. But I digress, if all you want is a power rack / olympic weight set and bench like I have, you can swoop all of this up for under $500 if you shop wisely. I highly recommend buying that power rack though.

Alot of what Lee says is true. When you train at home, for me anyways, the ego and failing doesn't become a factor and I get more done that way.

props on your post...man i feel like a ####in idiot right now

i spent 300 on mats alone ...i went for the real heavy duty ones because i didnt want to damage the floor when im doing deads of over 300lbs

i bought ####ing horse stall mats ...mats that they use in a farm for horses...super heavy duty, but expensive ...i had to order them online and pay like 50 for shipping also since i dont live anywhere near a farm store

after i bought them i went to modells and saw similar mats that are 3/4 inch for like 40 bucks...i felt like a ####in idiot and still do ...hopefully its worth it though

i was trying to keep the budget for my home gym under 1000, then i realized alot of this #### is expensive so i raised the budget to 1500 ...now im lookin at 1700

its gettin ridiculous i need to chill ...i keep looking at the best equipment possible thats why

those 2 racks you suggested are the ones i was looking at! ...i havent made a purchase yet, but i decided to go with the valor equipment one for the lat pull down accessory..i feel its worth it for the small price increase

i havent bought a bench yet either but was thinking of going with an iron master super bench ...its 300$ dollars but i hear its an excellent bench. although i did come across the same one you suggested and considered it as well. i like the convenience of the iron master but maybe to save some money i should get the one you suggested

my problem is i keep buying ####ing things that have much cheaper alternatives ...like i was even looking at a pair of lock jaw collars for the bar for 40 bucks instead of regular slide on collars ..then i go for the more expensive weights, the more expensive rack, the more expensive bench, mats, etc. ...lol somebody stop me

the only thing left to buy is a dumbbell set which is crazy expensive ...itll put me around the 2000$ mark ..thats double what i intended to pay originally...so maybe your idea is a cheaper alternative, ill look into that

i had a ####in 35 lb kettle bell and somehow lost it..smh ..now i gotta buy 2 new ones

im hoping its worth it in the end. this is my 1st home gym and im spending $1500+ on it (those ####in mats) ...sometimes im like "damn i couldve just joined the gym for 1/3 the price..but im still happy because chances are id hardly go to the gym, with my own gym ill probably work out 5-6 days a week. im gonna feel like goku in the hyperbolic time chamber training for cell or some ####

Last edited by Ed Bundy; 12-11-2012 at 03:38 AM..
 12-11-2012, 05:46 AMaway - #7
KillaRay 

d 
space
$859 | 1174189
good #### guys.. I've been looking for a garage to do the same (my garage gets used unfortunately)

luckily though my boy agreed to allow me his garage... couple things have to get fixed before we can get rolling... but we surely on the move right now... gotta get the roof patched up and as someone said up top I most likely wanna get a I beam installed for heavy bags... i dont use gym equipment so ill im investing in is floor mats, punching bags (heavy, speed, and double-end bags) and a pull up bar... i might wanna put some gymnastic rings up, but i doubt i have enough clearance... also probably throw in an ab power wheel & body ball..

i have to get a corner of the roof patched, and install electricity from his house if i wanted.. then id be all set to go... we should be throwing in at least a heavy bag just to #### around in the mean time

did you guys purchase your mats online? if so, could i get a link please... been browsing online trying to find the best prices

Last edited by KillaRay; 12-11-2012 at 05:48 AM..
 12-11-2012, 12:53 PMaway - #8
Ed Bundy 

d 
space
$1,570 | 7041466
you can hang rings from the power rack if you are getting once

i bought a set of rings to hang from the pull up bar on mine ...matter of fact they just got delivered today...cant wait to try em

before i can order my power rack i have to fix the roof cuz theres a leak..after that i paint, then i set the mats down, THEN i order the rack and build it directly in the garage ...most likely going to also drill in a 2x6 piece of wood horizontally across 4 or 5 of the wooden beams in the garage (so the weight is distributed across 4 beams instead of 1) and hang a heavy bag from there

when my gym is done, im going to be in that #### for like 3-4 months straight just beasting every single day ..by the spring of next year i should come out looking like the incredible hulk..hoping to add atleast 10lbs of muscle while shedding a lot of body fat % or something within that time
 12-11-2012, 01:25 PMaway - #9
Braz 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$15,346 | POWERFUL

I had a big a$s garage at my home when I lived out in AZ, me and my boy used to do P90X in there. Had free weights, resistance bands, yoga mats, a TV, some boxing ####. Then if I wanted to do some heavier weights or run on a treadmill my gym was right down the street. Was convenient damn I miss that
 12-15-2012, 02:01 PMonline - #10
OldeEnglish22oz 5 heat pts

d 
space
$16,248 | POWERFUL
I don't know if you guys feel the same way but I get a lot of motivation from watching ESPN or just athletes in general... one of the reasons why I go to the gym on Saturday and Sundays... my friends hate going to the gym on those days because they would rather sit home and watch sports and drink.

But when I see Adrian Peterson breaking 6 tackles and hitting pay-dirt I use that as motivation. Or when I see Ray Lewis blow somebody up, I'm shouting in the gym like "OOOOOHHHHH!"

I'll have a small tv 32 inch hanging on the wall, put it to ESPN... you can also play your workout dvds or whatever day time show that has hotties on there like the View.
 12-28-2012, 07:24 PMaway - #11
WHAT_THE_ 

d 
space
$1,076 | 7769673
skip the mirrors..they serve no purpose but to #### things up.

Olympic Bar - 1 is plenty
Weight Set - I believe the start at 300 lbs. see if you can skip the 35lb plates and make up the difference in extra 5 and 10 lb. plates
Power Rack
Adjust@ble Bench

Brand new for all that around $1200-1500 but you can usually find it used pretty easily for a fraction of that.

If you know how and what to do with them perhaps some kettlebells and superbands. 16 and 20kg bells depending on strength levels.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Wii U - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U >>>>
69 comments
NBA According to Bleacher Report: Steve Nash will miss entir..
50 comments
NBA 2013 Superteam Lakers the worst manufactured Superteam i..
78 comments
 NBA Espn Nba Insiders: Harden, Howard Among Most Overrated...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 61 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 Image(s) inside Daaaaamn My Nigga French Montana Back
New reply 32 minutes ago - 102 comments - by SHADOW
 Image(s) inside Alfie From Old Nick Show "my Brother & Me&quo...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 84 comments - by KleanKutt100
 NBA Espn First Take: Nash Or Iverson: Who's The Better Pla...
New reply 36 minutes ago - 189 comments - by JNumbaNC
 BOX Floyd Mayweather Is Scared Of Black Fighters
New reply 15 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Blue Mercury
 Image(s) inside Wealthy Woman Ask "must I Give Out Halloween Cand...
New reply 1 hour ago - 53 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
  Is There Any Rapper That Never "fell Off"?
New reply 19 minutes ago - 159 comments - by JewsusChrist
 Image(s) inside Jaime Fox's Hairline Has A Taper Implant
New reply 3 hours ago - 125 comments - by foshomoney

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,797 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.