This is BX @ Boxden.com

Am i able to hang a heavy bag from my ceiling? need help on the best way how

Am i able to hang a heavy bag from my ceiling? need help on the best way how
topic by Ed Bundy - 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM - Boxden > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

read this and give your opinion on if i can do it

im currently building a gym in my garage and considering adding a heavy bag for cardio at the other end

the problem is this, im worried about causing structural damage to the garage itself

the way the garage is built is like this ...its made out of cinder block walls stacked about 10 feet high ...the very top layer of cinder blocks have a small gap every 10 inches or so ..it kinda looks like this:

[_____] [_____] [_____] [_____] [_____]
[_____][_____][_____][_____][_____]

all the other blocks EXCEPT for the top layer are stacked next to each other while the top layer has gaps in between. this is because there are wooden beams that are inserted into those slots that run all the way across to the parallel wall on the opposite side. both walls have those slots, and the wooden beams sit right inside of them on both ends. the wooden beams appear to be 2x8 and they are slotted into the gaps vertically/upright

on top of the wooden beams are more 2x8s but they are resting horizontally, and then on top of those is the actual ceiling of the garage which is nothing but tar and tar paper.

its a pretty basic structure. no steel, nothing..just exactly how i described it.. there is a leak in the ceiling which can be fixed by adding more tar, and some of the wood has gotten weak and started to chip away from all the water damage over the years, but other than that there have never been any major problems

the leak is not anywhere near where i plan on hanging the bag, so thats a good thing. but my big concern is if i will cause any damage to my garage by hanging a heavy bag? does the structure seem weak to you? i plan on putting a 100lb heavy bag and im 200lbs. i can most certainly hit and have boxed in the past so i know what im doing. what im trying to say is, im not gonna hit this thing like a !! doing some cardio routine or something.. im going to BEAST on it.. im worried that the poor old garage wont be able to take the 100lb bag bouncing around when im punching it

i tried pushing the beams around and they seem very sturdy and didnt budge and just for extra safety i plan on hanging it towards the end of the beams where they meet the wall, as opposed to the middle where the breaking point is weakest.

the way i plan on doing it is by screwing in a 2x4 horizontally across 4 of the beams

_____|_____
_____|_____
_____|_____
_____|_____

like that ..this way the weight of the bag is distributed across 4 beams instead of 1 ...the 4 main ceiling beams i plan on hanging the 2x4 from seem pretty sturdy, but since they are wood, im not sure how theyll react in different weather when they expand/contract etc.

from there i will drill a hole into the center of the 2x4 and install the proper screws. i also plan on using this TITLE Heavy Bag Spring | TITLE Boxing Heavy Bags & Accessories | TITLE Boxing Punching Bags | Punching Bags by Brand | Punching Bags from Title Boxing to absorb the shock of my punches

other alternatives i thought of but ultimately decided against were the following:

- remove 1 of the wooden beams and insert a STEEL I beam in its place, and hang the bag from there...but thats seems like alot of work and can cause further damage

- get a free standing bag with a fillable base...but these are worthless to anyone whos over 150lbs and knows how to hit. i broke 2 of them in my life when i was 14 and 15 years old. that was over a decade ago and i hit much harder now

- get a heavy bag stand ...but these limit mobility and plus they are big and take up space in my already not so big 1 car garage. although this does seem a lot safer

so if you made it this far and are still reading lol, then what do you think so far? what would be the best option for me? do you think the wooden beams will hold up? im not an architect but logically speaking, it makes sense that they wood

na jokes aside though. what do you guys think? would u go for the real bag which is by far the best option for a good boxing work out? or would u take it safer and buy the heavy bag stand?

> Am i able to hang a heavy bag from my ceiling? need help on the best way how - Photo posted in The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition | Sign in and leave a comment below!

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

13 comments for "Am i able to hang a heavy bag from my ceiling? need help on the best way how"

12-13-2012, 04:24 PMaway - #2
Ed Bundy 

d 
space
$1,570 | 7041466
damn maybe i made this !! too long..
 12-14-2012, 04:34 AMaway - #3
ThaLockerRoom 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$1,151 | 20618316

didnt read
 12-14-2012, 07:31 AMaway - #4
Chopzilla 183 heat pts183

d 
space
$9,885 | POWERFUL
dat wall of text

Just get a heavy stand

Too early for this !! dog
 12-14-2012, 02:19 PMaway - #5
Ed Bundy 

d 
space
$1,570 | 7041466

what i meant to say was...can i hang a !!in heavy bag off of wooden beams in my garage ceiling?
 12-14-2012, 02:29 PMaway - #6
realgunta 662 heat pts662

d 
space
$13,791 | POWERFUL
^^^u needed to write alllll of that just to simply ask that ^^^^^^.

come on bro, i didnt read your original post, but if thats all u wanted to kno then why type all that.

matter of fact, go deactivate your account please, we dont need the likes of you on this website.
 12-14-2012, 02:47 PMaway - #7
Mike The Ninja 

d 
space
$210 | 1247811
It would depend on alot of things that I couldn't give you a definite answer without looking at your garage. But I'm going to guess that whoever built your garage didn't overbuild the !! out of it...so no. I have a civil engineering degree, mainly studied structural design while in college, and I would be doing some serious math before I even attempted this.
 12-14-2012, 05:57 PMaway - #8
JohnDoe 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$7,988 | POWERFUL
dont hang anything of substantial weight from a cinder block wall. they would not have accounted for the weight when building the wall, but if you hang from a joist that would work fine.
 12-14-2012, 09:33 PMaway - #9
Ed Bundy 

d 
space
$1,570 | 7041466
Originally Posted by Mike The Ninja
It would depend on alot of things that I couldn't give you a definite answer without looking at your garage. But I'm going to guess that whoever built your garage didn't overbuild the !! out of it...so no. I have a civil engineering degree, mainly studied structural design while in college, and I would be doing some serious math before I even attempted this.
i gave all the details in my first post ...

mind reading over it and giving your opinion then?
 12-14-2012, 10:51 PMaway - #10
Mike The Ninja 

d 
space
$210 | 1247811
Originally Posted by Ed Bundy
i gave all the details in my first post ...

mind reading over it and giving your opinion then?
Depends on the lumber, how it's connected, etc. Alot of forces to account for without any proper photos, engineering drawings, or knowledge of the materials. Structural analysis is an art form when dealing with a building that your estimating material strengths. I would need information that I don't think you can provide.

I would have to say play it safe with a rig that isn't attached to the building. Sorry I couldn't help you more.
 12-16-2012, 02:38 PMonline - #11
1ironboy1 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$3,307 | 16096800
bang it into a beam n ur good. dass it.
 12-16-2012, 10:53 PMaway - #12
Sammyboi22 

d 
space
$12,974 | POWERFUL
Take a goddamn picture.
 12-17-2012, 11:49 AMaway - #13
2nd2none 

d 
space
$3,300 | 7252884
Originally Posted by Sammyboi22
Take a goddamn picture.
Turning to 2013 and dude is using symbols to make a picture like this is facebook in 2005 smh
 12-21-2012, 02:17 PMaway - #14
spacerap 

d 
space
$276 | 375672
if you post a picture it will help

you'll want to find a beam in the roof of the garage no matter what tho

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The BX Gym - Health, Exercise, and Nutrition

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Apr 22 - Christie vows not to legalize pot: New Jersey..
66 comments
Image inside  New Call of Duty info
50 comments
BOX Stephen A.: "Floyd Mayweather Will Destroy Pacquiao" ..
88 comments
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 2 minutes ago - 93 comments - by donmagic901
 NBA Laker Fans Take Pictures With Lakers Cheerleaders (pics)
New reply 12 minutes ago - 177 comments - by Chrisdunk
  Rappers That Never Took Off.
New reply 2 minutes ago - 197 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Big Sean Makes History Doing Something Jay, Ye, Wayne ...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 71 comments - by PrimeLamboJr.
  Young Roddy X 'route The Ruler' Mixtape Discussion
New reply 4 minutes ago - 53 comments - by PvrpIITrill HTX
 Image(s) inside Just Blaze React's To Jay-z Alleged Extortion Plot
New reply 17 minutes ago - 92 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside Eatab0otygang?
New reply 5 minutes ago - 60 comments - by VSVP
 NFL Raiders Trade Terrelle Pryor To Seahawks
New reply 35 minutes ago - 65 comments - by presto

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.